Wireless Forums

Posted Sep 5, 2008
2:22:05 PM
View profile
Online Coverage Maps are incorrect per AT&T
I've been told several times recently by AT&T technical support and at the store that the online coverage maps are incorrect. My GSM coverage where I live in zip 27278 went down the tubes for myself and my wife not long ago on different phones (Nokia models 3120b 2595, and 6061) Coverage driving down the highway especially went from good to terrible.
According to the online map, the GSM coverage should be "Best". It's as if they removed an antenna or a frequency close by. Anyway, after not getting anywhere with AT&T support and their help desk many times, I've been trying out a new LG CU515 phone with 3G support. It works better, but similarly, 3G reception is iffy and doesn't match the online map, which says I'm in the 3G area. It works much better going between towers on the highway for my wife, which is our main complaint. (Why the GSM went south a few months back is still a mystery and AT&T is keeping their mouth shut about it)

Is there a way to get access to the correct/internal coverage maps?
Why is AT&T not publishing accurate maps?
Will not having good 3G reception limit my capabilities? (data and voice)

Regards
John in North Carolina
I've been told several times recently by AT&T technical support and at the store that the online coverage maps are incorrect. My GSM coverage where I live in zip 27278 went down the tubes for myself and my wife not long ago on different phones (Nokia models 3120b 2595, and 6061) Coverage driving down the highway especially went from good to terrible.
According to the online map, the GSM coverage should be "Best". It's as if they removed an antenna or a frequency close by. Anyway, after not getting anywhere with AT&T support and their help desk many times, I've been trying out a new LG CU515 phone with 3G support. It works better, but similarly, 3G reception is iffy and doesn't match the online map, which says I'm in the 3G area. It works much better going between towers on the highway for my wife, which is our main complaint. (Why the GSM went south a few months back is still a mystery and AT&T is keeping their mouth shut about it)

Is there a way to get access to the correct/internal coverage maps?
Why is AT&T not publishing accurate maps?
Will not having good 3G reception limit my capabilities? (data and voice)

Regards
John in North Carolina

Online Coverage Maps are incorrect per AT&T

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2008 5:05:52 PM
(0)
Teacher
I recently got out of my contract with Verizon Wireless for lack of coverage. My coverage was always great but then went down the tubes quick. As far as AT&T coverage, there map does not show my location with good coverage. I decided to give it a try since I have 30 days and my coverage is awesome. It seems like an accurate map would help them with sales. I almost didn't even try them.
I recently got out of my contract with Verizon Wireless for lack of coverage. My coverage was always great but then went down the tubes quick. As far as AT&T coverage, there map does not show my location with good coverage. I decided to give it a try since I have 30 days and my coverage is awesome. It seems like an accurate map would help them with sales. I almost didn't even try them.

Re: Online Coverage Maps are incorrect per AT&T

2 of 16 (1,383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2008 7:45:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Same here in Northeast, PA. I'm supposedly in a "GREAT" coverage area...voice and 3g! Sometimes I don't even have a SIGNAL...only the tower icon on my screen. I have to shut off my phone, wait a few seconds, turn it back on and eventually the signal returns. You would think according to the map that I'd have 5 bars and 3g ALL the time????  

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Same here in Northeast, PA. I'm supposedly in a "GREAT" coverage area...voice and 3g! Sometimes I don't even have a SIGNAL...only the tower icon on my screen. I have to shut off my phone, wait a few seconds, turn it back on and eventually the signal returns. You would think according to the map that I'd have 5 bars and 3g ALL the time????  

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 16 (1,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2008 6:47:08 PM
(0)
Mentor

Dcookie wrote:

FYI - The LG Shine is reported by a few people to have crappy reception (if that is what you are still using)

Dcookie wrote:

FYI - The LG Shine is reported by a few people to have crappy reception (if that is what you are still using)

4 of 16 (1,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2008 7:28:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Sep 7, 2008 at 7:44:49 PM

SHoTTa35 wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

Well I KNOW mine has crappy reception...never had it with my old Nokia 6102!!! I KNOW this will DEFINITELY be my FIRST AND LAST LG!!!  My next phone is the Motorola RAZR2 V9!!! Thanks for the info!!! :smileywink: Oh...BTW, my husband has a Nokia 6126...NOT A 3g phone and he ALSO doesn't have the best coverage.

Message Edited by Dcookie on 09-07-2008 07:44:49 PM

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

SHoTTa35 wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

Well I KNOW mine has crappy reception...never had it with my old Nokia 6102!!! I KNOW this will DEFINITELY be my FIRST AND LAST LG!!!  My next phone is the Motorola RAZR2 V9!!! Thanks for the info!!! :smileywink: Oh...BTW, my husband has a Nokia 6126...NOT A 3g phone and he ALSO doesn't have the best coverage.

Message Edited by Dcookie on 09-07-2008 07:44:49 PM

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
5 of 16 (1,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2008 10:32:59 PM
(0)
Professor
The coverage indications in orange are for GSM/EDGE.  3G coverage (blue) shows if it is available.
Typically, you'll find many areas with 3G on 1900MHz, while GSM is on 850MHz.  This can give a difference of 2-3 'bars' of signal on your phone.
In my case, AT&T has GSM 850/1900, and I show 6/6 bars (-74 dBm) and 3G 1900MHz 3-4/6 bars (-89 dBm) coming from the same site.  I am listed in a 'best' area.

The coverage indications in orange are for GSM/EDGE.  3G coverage (blue) shows if it is available.
Typically, you'll find many areas with 3G on 1900MHz, while GSM is on 850MHz.  This can give a difference of 2-3 'bars' of signal on your phone.
In my case, AT&T has GSM 850/1900, and I show 6/6 bars (-74 dBm) and 3G 1900MHz 3-4/6 bars (-89 dBm) coming from the same site.  I am listed in a 'best' area.

6 of 16 (1,347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2008 10:34:32 PM
(0)
Professor
Don't forget... LG = Lucky Goldstar (remember those cheap electronics in the late 80's early 90's... that's the 'Goldstar' part of LG).
Motorola V3xx is good, I expect the V9 to be good as well.
Don't forget... LG = Lucky Goldstar (remember those cheap electronics in the late 80's early 90's... that's the 'Goldstar' part of LG).

7 of 16 (1,347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2008 2:18:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

formercanuck wrote:

You HAVE to be KIDDING me!!!! If I knew THAT, I'd NEVER have bought this thing!!!!! That just made MY day. :smileysad: Thanks for the info anyway. Maybe it's NOT the coverage that's bad in my area then...more likely, it's my PHONE!!!

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

formercanuck wrote:

You HAVE to be KIDDING me!!!! If I knew THAT, I'd NEVER have bought this thing!!!!! That just made MY day. :smileysad: Thanks for the info anyway. Maybe it's NOT the coverage that's bad in my area then...more likely, it's my PHONE!!!

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

8 of 16 (1,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2008 8:38:18 AM
(0)
Professor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG

9 of 16 (1,332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2008 1:49:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

formercanuck wrote:

Oh, I BELIEVE YOU!!!! I don't need to check it out!! Really, thanks for the info!!! :smileyhappy:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

formercanuck wrote:

Oh, I BELIEVE YOU!!!! I don't need to check it out!! Really, thanks for the info!!! :smileyhappy:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

10 of 16 (1,324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2008 4:11:26 PM
(0)
Mentor
Hey, where in NEPA are you? i'm by Reading, PA and getting good reception all over but i'm sure there are some crazy spots around. The Nokia should report better reception though. Does he have dropped calls and all that or just that the phone reports lower signal?
Hey, where in NEPA are you? i'm by Reading, PA and getting good reception all over but i'm sure there are some crazy spots around. The Nokia should report better reception though. Does he have dropped calls and all that or just that the phone reports lower signal?

11 of 16 (1,130 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2008 8:03:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

SHoTTa35 wrote:

Hi neighbor!!!! I'm in Wilkes-Barre, PA., right in the city, if you know where that is. Probably about 2 hours from you. No my husband doesn't really have dropped calls but he only sometimes has 2 bars. Our old Nokia 6102 had much better reception. I just thought maybe it had soemthing to do woith the fact that my phone is 3g and that was the problem with the bad signal but obviously not, since my husbands phone isn't 3g. Who knows...I sure don't.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

SHoTTa35 wrote:

Hi neighbor!!!! I'm in Wilkes-Barre, PA., right in the city, if you know where that is. Probably about 2 hours from you. No my husband doesn't really have dropped calls but he only sometimes has 2 bars. Our old Nokia 6102 had much better reception. I just thought maybe it had soemthing to do woith the fact that my phone is 3g and that was the problem with the bad signal but obviously not, since my husbands phone isn't 3g. Who knows...I sure don't.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

12 of 16 (1,124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2008 11:49:14 PM
(0)
Tutor
Oh my God, Goldstar!!    I hoped I would never have heard of that product line again. They were the biggest pieces of junk  I ever had to deal with. I wish I knew that before I got my LG phone.

Oh my God, Goldstar!!    I hoped I would never have heard of that product line again. They were the biggest pieces of junk  I ever had to deal with. I wish I knew that before I got my LG phone.

13 of 16 (1,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2008 11:39:17 AM
(0)
Contributor
Yep... and the signal from the towers change. . . I went from having "decent" coverage to near zero coverage at my house.  Customer service has sucked in terms of solutions.  Documentation of my 20 plus calls or visits to ATT have not been put into my account.  I call and get the 2 hour run around on customer service.  I am asking to get out early and for ATT to buy my phones back as I have 6 in my house and ATT can't get signal working.  ATT. . . . NO MORE
Yep... and the signal from the towers change. . . I went from having "decent" coverage to near zero coverage at my house.  Customer service has sucked in terms of solutions.  Documentation of my 20 plus calls or visits to ATT have not been put into my account.  I call and get the 2 hour run around on customer service.  I am asking to get out early and for ATT to buy my phones back as I have 6 in my house and ATT can't get signal working.  ATT. . . . NO MORE

14 of 16 (1,115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2008 4:58:05 PM
(0)
Contributor
I live in St. Paul, Minnesota. Which is where the RNC convention was recently held. It's a big city, for goodness sake it's the capital! The AT&T coverage is extremely poor at best! I cannot make calls in my apartment, or receive text messages. AT&T advertises my entire area as full coverage, this is a blatant lie. I have to walk at least 2 blocks to even get 3 bars. I am so sick and tired of this lack of service. I've already placed 4 complaint calls!

I'm going to be emailing my representative about this.

I live in St. Paul, Minnesota. Which is where the RNC convention was recently held. It's a big city, for goodness sake it's the capital! The AT&T coverage is extremely poor at best! I cannot make calls in my apartment, or receive text messages. AT&T advertises my entire area as full coverage, this is a blatant lie. I have to walk at least 2 blocks to even get 3 bars. I am so sick and tired of this lack of service. I've already placed 4 complaint calls!

15 of 16 (1,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2008 1:26:46 PM
(0)
Master

TaylorFedt wrote:

File a complaint with the BBB instead. Might get faster results.

TaylorFedt wrote:

File a complaint with the BBB instead. Might get faster results.
Posted from my Samsung Captivate

16 of 16 (1,091 Views)