Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 22, 2010
9:24:13 AM
One other Captivate problem-text message phone number

Let's say I select a contact and send them a text message.  All my contacts' phone numbers are in the xxx-xxx-xxxx ten digit format.  Somehow, in the course of a text message thread with one of my contacts, the area code (ie. the first three digits) will be dropped, and when I attempt to send a text message reply, I get an error message saying that the phone number is not in the appropriate ten digit format.

The only way I've been able to get around this is to start a brand new text thread by selecting the person off my Contacts list and resuming the conversation from this point.  I'd like to simply continue my text conversation in the existing thread like you can with virtually any other phone.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

Let's say I select a contact and send them a text message.  All my contacts' phone numbers are in the xxx-xxx-xxxx ten digit format.  Somehow, in the course of a text message thread with one of my contacts, the area code (ie. the first three digits) will be dropped, and when I attempt to send a text message reply, I get an error message saying that the phone number is not in the appropriate ten digit format.

The only way I've been able to get around this is to start a brand new text thread by selecting the person off my Contacts list and resuming the conversation from this point.  I'd like to simply continue my text conversation in the existing thread like you can with virtually any other phone.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

One other Captivate problem-text message phone number

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 9:35:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

I am having the same problem and there is another thread on here regarding the same issue.  Someone mentioned going to the AT&T store and getting a new sim card to solve the problem.  Please post if a solution is confirmed.

I am having the same problem and there is another thread on here regarding the same issue.  Someone mentioned going to the AT&T store and getting a new sim card to solve the problem.  Please post if a solution is confirmed.

Re: One other Captivate problem-text message phone number

2 of 14 (5,468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 8:53:53 AM
(0)
Voyager

I have been having the same problem and have replaced the sim card for other reasons, however, this did not solve the problem with replying to a text message dropping the area code.  It's very annoying and I do hope a solution shows up soon.  The at&t guy at the store tried to fix it but nothing he did worked and had no idea why the phone would do that.  For right now the only solution is to start a new message and not reply....which is obnoxious...lol

I have been having the same problem and have replaced the sim card for other reasons, however, this did not solve the problem with replying to a text message dropping the area code.  It's very annoying and I do hope a solution shows up soon.  The at&t guy at the store tried to fix it but nothing he did worked and had no idea why the phone would do that.  For right now the only solution is to start a new message and not reply....which is obnoxious...lol

3 of 14 (5,415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 6:54:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same problem. Voice search takes me through Google. Voice command says that no contact found. I have the contacts on both the phone and the SIM. I tried multiple contacts wit the same results. This really bugs me.

I have the same problem. Voice search takes me through Google. Voice command says that no contact found. I have the contacts on both the phone and the SIM. I tried multiple contacts wit the same results. This really bugs me.

4 of 14 (5,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 4:09:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

I spoke to Samsung tech and he suggested doing a hard reset to solve this problem.  I have not tried it yet.  Anyone done a hard reset and still having the problem.  I will post if/when I do a hard reset.

I spoke to Samsung tech and he suggested doing a hard reset to solve this problem.  I have not tried it yet.  Anyone done a hard reset and still having the problem.  I will post if/when I do a hard reset.

5 of 14 (5,266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 6:39:59 AM
(0)
Scholar

most of my txt problems have been sending mms txts, im on edge and they just wont send correct thru it.

most of my txt problems have been sending mms txts, im on edge and they just wont send correct thru it.

6 of 14 (5,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 12:20:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was having the same issues with MMS and then discovered that I could send an MMS if it was under a certain file size.  If you crop a photo you have taken on your Captivate, and try sending that, it should go.  I think AT&T might be enforcing a MMS size cap somewhere around 100KB.

I was having the same issues with MMS and then discovered that I could send an MMS if it was under a certain file size.  If you crop a photo you have taken on your Captivate, and try sending that, it should go.  I think AT&T might be enforcing a MMS size cap somewhere around 100KB.

7 of 14 (5,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2010 11:42:14 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same problem with the Captivate. I have to start a new message instead of being able to continue in the same thread. I have talked to customer service about this issue and she suggested I return to the AT&T store and talk to a sales rep about it. It is a huge pain.

Has anyone heard of a solution?

I am having the same problem with the Captivate. I have to start a new message instead of being able to continue in the same thread. I have talked to customer service about this issue and she suggested I return to the AT&T store and talk to a sales rep about it. It is a huge pain.

Has anyone heard of a solution?

8 of 14 (4,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2010 4:11:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

Having same issue but only with one of my contacts.  The others are okay.  It happens to be the contact that I moved over via sim from another phone that did not store the area code. I tried texting the contact as my very first text with the Captivate and it returned the error message.  I manually changed all the contact phone numbers to include area code.  The other contacts show area code when texting but this one still does not even though voice call shows it.  I deleted all conversation threads  and call history. No help. I slightly changed the contact phone number and then its texting phone number shows area code. Changed it back and it reverts to the number without area code. Removed contact completely. Started text message by keying in 10 digit number same number and another with different 10 digit number (both without a contact). The problem number shows 7 digit phone number in history but the other shows 10 digit number.  After deleting all threads and history again, I create new contact with different name and same number except different area code and send text from contact.  It again shows up as 7 digit number.  After deleting all threads and history, I create the original contact name and number and send text to it.  Instead of getting its name and number in the text message, I get the other name (with wrong area code) as the name and a 7-digit number.  This phone, when texting, seems to convert any 10 digit number having these last 7 digits to the 7 digit number that fails to go anywhere.  I cannot reply to to messages from this contact.  The only way to text them is to create new message from message applicaton and pick their contact name. Then it shows 10 digit number but after the message is sent, it reverts back to the 7 digit number and kills all ability to maintain a thread since this thread is stored with 7 digit no matter what I have tried so far.  It is as if the phone or phone service is remembering that 7-digit number as a text contact for threads and does a lookup on it each time regardless of any updates I make.  Sure would like to know a fix for this.  thanks.

Having same issue but only with one of my contacts.  The others are okay.  It happens to be the contact that I moved over via sim from another phone that did not store the area code. I tried texting the contact as my very first text with the Captivate and it returned the error message.  I manually changed all the contact phone numbers to include area code.  The other contacts show area code when texting but this one still does not even though voice call shows it.  I deleted all conversation threads  and call history. No help. I slightly changed the contact phone number and then its texting phone number shows area code. Changed it back and it reverts to the number without area code. Removed contact completely. Started text message by keying in 10 digit number same number and another with different 10 digit number (both without a contact). The problem number shows 7 digit phone number in history but the other shows 10 digit number.  After deleting all threads and history again, I create new contact with different name and same number except different area code and send text from contact.  It again shows up as 7 digit number.  After deleting all threads and history, I create the original contact name and number and send text to it.  Instead of getting its name and number in the text message, I get the other name (with wrong area code) as the name and a 7-digit number.  This phone, when texting, seems to convert any 10 digit number having these last 7 digits to the 7 digit number that fails to go anywhere.  I cannot reply to to messages from this contact.  The only way to text them is to create new message from message applicaton and pick their contact name. Then it shows 10 digit number but after the message is sent, it reverts back to the 7 digit number and kills all ability to maintain a thread since this thread is stored with 7 digit no matter what I have tried so far.  It is as if the phone or phone service is remembering that 7-digit number as a text contact for threads and does a lookup on it each time regardless of any updates I make.  Sure would like to know a fix for this.  thanks.

9 of 14 (4,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2010 10:02:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

After backing up everything with MyBackup Pro, did "Factory Reset" from the privacy menu. This cleared the 7 digit numbers from the texting and began contacting via 10 digit numbers.  Since app install is blocked by AT&T, had to re-install all apps from Map Source.  The backup program showed me which ones I had installed.  The restore was easy except for downloading all the apps again.  Wish AT&T would allow restore from backup of apps.  See earlier post for problems I was having with 7 digit text phone numbers, even though contacts were changed to 10 digit.

After backing up everything with MyBackup Pro, did "Factory Reset" from the privacy menu. This cleared the 7 digit numbers from the texting and began contacting via 10 digit numbers.  Since app install is blocked by AT&T, had to re-install all apps from Map Source.  The backup program showed me which ones I had installed.  The restore was easy except for downloading all the apps again.  Wish AT&T would allow restore from backup of apps.  See earlier post for problems I was having with 7 digit text phone numbers, even though contacts were changed to 10 digit.

10 of 14 (4,683 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 1:58:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

Something I found by accident that I'm sure not a lot of people know about, is this: If you open your contacts app, and click history, it saves every single text message, call, missed call, everything ever sent to and from the phone and you have to manually clear this in addition to the messaging app and call logs in the dialer. Don't know if this helps or not.

Something I found by accident that I'm sure not a lot of people know about, is this: If you open your contacts app, and click history, it saves every single text message, call, missed call, everything ever sent to and from the phone and you have to manually clear this in addition to the messaging app and call logs in the dialer. Don't know if this helps or not.

11 of 14 (1,785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2010 10:55:37 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just got my Captivate and this is happening to me as well.  Very annoying.  I have posted to a few other forums to see if anybody else has a suggestion. I really don't want to reset my phone.

Just got my Captivate and this is happening to me as well.  Very annoying.  I have posted to a few other forums to see if anybody else has a suggestion. I really don't want to reset my phone.

12 of 14 (1,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2011 6:09:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was having this same problem with a contact that I originally entered without the area code.  It would send a text to the contact the first time but if I tried to reply it would drop the area code and then kick it back with the error message.  Here is how I finally fixed it without resetting my phone:

From the message screen hit the menu button on the bottom left of the phone, click settings, then click input mode.  I changed it from automatic to unicode and it fixed the problem!!!!   I was actaully able to have a conversation with the contact I was having a problem with.   Hope this helps some of you!!

I was having this same problem with a contact that I originally entered without the area code.  It would send a text to the contact the first time but if I tried to reply it would drop the area code and then kick it back with the error message.  Here is how I finally fixed it without resetting my phone:

From the message screen hit the menu button on the bottom left of the phone, click settings, then click input mode.  I changed it from automatic to unicode and it fixed the problem!!!!   I was actaully able to have a conversation with the contact I was having a problem with.   Hope this helps some of you!!

13 of 14 (1,067 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 12:15:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you so much! This fixed it for me as well.. But I had to power off my phone to make it take effect! THANKS

Thank you so much! This fixed it for me as well.. But I had to power off my phone to make it take effect! THANKS

14 of 14 (1,014 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments