On my bill there are text messages from a 5 diget number. What is this?

Contributor

On my bill there are text messages from a 5 diget number. What is this?

Message 1 of 4 (5,062 Views)
Contributor

Re: On my bill there are text messages from a 5 diget number. What is this?

what is the five digit number? 

Message 2 of 4 (5,039 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

5 digit SMS numbers are short code messages.  Businesses/Companies, Charities (like Red Cross, etc), Voting Services (like American Idol, etc), Premium Services (like jokes, weather, sports etc) use these short codes which are easier to remember an use.  Some are more personalized where the 5 or 6 digits of the short code spell out a name on a phones dialpad.  A lot of these services charge for their use however there are some that are free to use.

The best way to unsubscribe from unwanted recurring Short Code SMS Text Messaging is to “Reply” to the message, input STOP, END, QUIT, CANCEL or UNSUBSCRIBE from your phone and Send to the content provider's short code. The content provider is supposed to recognize these standard responses.

If these are also related to third-party DirectBill charges your receiving on your acocunt you can go here to cancel, and request a refund. (has to be done on each line)

http://www.att.com/directbill

I would also suggest calling ATT and request that they add a purchase blocker (free) to all your lines.  This will prevent third-party charges from being billed to your ATT bill.

Message 3 of 4 (5,037 Views)
Contributor

Im new to AT&T and this is happening to me also. Not just 5 but 8 digit numbers. I'm running around 1000 text a week and fully half of my "received" text are this way. No way its businesses. Any other ideas?
Message 4 of 4 (3,935 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.