Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 3, 2010
11:05:05 PM
View profile
On my bill there are text messages from a 5 diget number. What is this?

On my bill there are text messages from a 5 diget number. What is this?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2010 10:34:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

what is the five digit number? 

what is the five digit number? 

Re: On my bill there are text messages from a 5 diget number. What is this?

2 of 4 (4,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2010 11:29:36 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Planet-Ed on Apr 4, 2010 at 11:30:30 AM

5 digit SMS numbers are short code messages.  Businesses/Companies, Charities (like Red Cross, etc), Voting Services (like American Idol, etc), Premium Services (like jokes, weather, sports etc) use these short codes which are easier to remember an use.  Some are more personalized where the 5 or 6 digits of the short code spell out a name on a phones dialpad.  A lot of these services charge for their use however there are some that are free to use.

The best way to unsubscribe from unwanted recurring Short Code SMS Text Messaging is to “Reply” to the message, input STOP, END, QUIT, CANCEL or UNSUBSCRIBE from your phone and Send to the content provider's short code. The content provider is supposed to recognize these standard responses.

If these are also related to third-party DirectBill charges your receiving on your acocunt you can go here to cancel, and request a refund. (has to be done on each line)

http://www.att.com/directbill

I would also suggest calling ATT and request that they add a purchase blocker (free) to all your lines.  This will prevent third-party charges from being billed to your ATT bill.

5 digit SMS numbers are short code messages.  Businesses/Companies, Charities (like Red Cross, etc), Voting Services (like American Idol, etc), Premium Services (like jokes, weather, sports etc) use these short codes which are easier to remember an use.  Some are more personalized where the 5 or 6 digits of the short code spell out a name on a phones dialpad.  A lot of these services charge for their use however there are some that are free to use.

The best way to unsubscribe from unwanted recurring Short Code SMS Text Messaging is to “Reply” to the message, input STOP, END, QUIT, CANCEL or UNSUBSCRIBE from your phone and Send to the content provider's short code. The content provider is supposed to recognize these standard responses.

If these are also related to third-party DirectBill charges your receiving on your acocunt you can go here to cancel, and request a refund. (has to be done on each line)

http://www.att.com/directbill

I would also suggest calling ATT and request that they add a purchase blocker (free) to all your lines.  This will prevent third-party charges from being billed to your ATT bill.

[ Edited ]
3 of 4 (4,554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 10:35:32 AM
(0)
Contributor
Im new to AT&T and this is happening to me also. Not just 5 but 8 digit numbers. I'm running around 1000 text a week and fully half of my "received" text are this way. No way its businesses. Any other ideas?
Im new to AT&T and this is happening to me also. Not just 5 but 8 digit numbers. I'm running around 1000 text a week and fully half of my "received" text are this way. No way its businesses. Any other ideas?

4 of 4 (3,452 Views)