Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 26, 2012
5:01:20 PM
Old Cell Phone/ Debt and Collection Help?

I lost a phone while traveling almost 7 years ago. ATT sent this debt to collections because I refused to pay and reported it stolen. The collection agency has changed the date of the debt to 2014, with is against federal law, a debt can't be changed and expires after 7 or 7.5 yrs but that's somewhat besides the point. 

The collection agency doesn't have the facts, and when I try to contact ATT they act like I never exsisted. Is there any human being that works for ATT that can take care of older issues like this? Either by phone, email, or writing a letter? Snail mail is fine too... an address would be wonderful, as long as it goes to the right person that can help me with this. 

Thanks in advance...

I lost a phone while traveling almost 7 years ago. ATT sent this debt to collections because I refused to pay and reported it stolen. The collection agency has changed the date of the debt to 2014, with is against federal law, a debt can't be changed and expires after 7 or 7.5 yrs but that's somewhat besides the point. 

The collection agency doesn't have the facts, and when I try to contact ATT they act like I never exsisted. Is there any human being that works for ATT that can take care of older issues like this? Either by phone, email, or writing a letter? Snail mail is fine too... an address would be wonderful, as long as it goes to the right person that can help me with this. 

Thanks in advance...

Old Cell Phone/ Debt and Collection Help?

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 11:27:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

mmmhmmmm

mmmhmmmm

Re: Old Cell Phone/ Debt and Collection Help?

2 of 16 (11,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2012 10:53:58 AM
(0)
Scholar

i would contact consumer collections department of at&t  to get some specifics but you would also need to dispute through the outside collection agency. By not paying the phone bill or disputing through customer service  and let it go to collections unpaid was your choice.  Id resolve it through the collections agency as they are the ones that report it on your credit report.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

i would contact consumer collections department of at&t  to get some specifics but you would also need to dispute through the outside collection agency. By not paying the phone bill or disputing through customer service  and let it go to collections unpaid was your choice.  Id resolve it through the collections agency as they are the ones that report it on your credit report.

3 of 16 (11,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2012 11:31:57 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Taylarie on Mar 28, 2012 at 5:25:21 AM

Cool thanks.

Yeah actually it wasn't my choice, I reported it stolen and notifed AT&T, I was literally ignored and got bill after bill.I had little to no choice in the position I was in. I love good customer serive and always listen to people, it's the field I work in, I got 100% opposite from AT&T (In 2005) It's not as bad now. 

Cool thanks.

Yeah actually it wasn't my choice, I reported it stolen and notifed AT&T, I was literally ignored and got bill after bill.I had little to no choice in the position I was in. I love good customer serive and always listen to people, it's the field I work in, I got 100% opposite from AT&T (In 2005) It's not as bad now. 

[ Edited ]
4 of 16 (11,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 7:06:55 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'm not sure what can be done to resolve this but lets get you in touch with someone as a starting point. 

Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number (if you still have it), phone number and the best time to contact you?

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

I'm not sure what can be done to resolve this but lets get you in touch with someone as a starting point. 

Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number (if you still have it), phone number and the best time to contact you?

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 16 (11,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 11:37:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

Sent a message.

Sent a message.

6 of 16 (11,035 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 11:42:30 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:52:27 AM

I hope you get the private message you requested. I was sent another message from an AT&T rep, saying keep it relivant, which it was? I don't get it. All I said was the entire story .... [Edited to comply with Guidelines] I use the spacing because I know AT&T doesn't allow free speach on here,   Am I not allowed to tell the truth of this claim? This is unreal.....  monitoring and removing things like this? How do we expect to get things resolved when half of emails are removed and edited?

I hope you get the private message you requested. I was sent another message from an AT&T rep, saying keep it relivant, which it was? I don't get it. All I said was the entire story .... [Edited to comply with Guidelines] I use the spacing because I know AT&T doesn't allow free speach on here,   Am I not allowed to tell the truth of this claim? This is unreal.....  monitoring and removing things like this? How do we expect to get things resolved when half of emails are removed and edited?

[ Edited ]
7 of 16 (11,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 12:51:14 PM
(0)
Employee
Just because you lost your phone is no reason to cancel your contract without paying an early termination fee. And if youvwerent in contract reporting it stolen doesn't cancel the account. You have to tell them to do that
Just because you lost your phone is no reason to cancel your contract without paying an early termination fee. And if youvwerent in contract reporting it stolen doesn't cancel the account. You have to tell them to do that
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 16 (11,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 2:39:08 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I responded to your private message. I need a telephone number to contact you please. 

--------------

I responded to your private message. I need a telephone number to contact you please. 

--------------

9 of 16 (11,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 3:05:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

@JFlzDaWiz

I didn't cancel my contract? This isn't about a contract? I have no idea what you're talking about. The phone was lost/ stolen. My contract was up, someone used the phone and I got a $600 bill in the mail, AFTER I called and reported it stolen and missing. AT&T still tried collecting even with a missing and stolen report, and it was obviously not me who used it. This isn't about a cancellation.  

@JFlzDaWiz

I didn't cancel my contract? This isn't about a contract? I have no idea what you're talking about. The phone was lost/ stolen. My contract was up, someone used the phone and I got a $600 bill in the mail, AFTER I called and reported it stolen and missing. AT&T still tried collecting even with a missing and stolen report, and it was obviously not me who used it. This isn't about a cancellation.  

10 of 16 (11,002 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 9:00:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

We can post anything we want here, as long as it's what AT&T wants to hear. Don't forget it or you'll be edited. It's funny that there is a huge policy of what they allow people to discuss, they get enough of a certain matter and they need to ban all of those keywords....  well, this isn't going to resolve here in this message board. I'm off. Thanks for absolutely nothing. This post is over. 

We can post anything we want here, as long as it's what AT&T wants to hear. Don't forget it or you'll be edited. It's funny that there is a huge policy of what they allow people to discuss, they get enough of a certain matter and they need to ban all of those keywords....  well, this isn't going to resolve here in this message board. I'm off. Thanks for absolutely nothing. This post is over. 

11 of 16 (10,928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2012 1:32:29 AM
(0)
Employee
i was just saying you were still getting a bill because you never cancelled the line which is why you kept getting billed until they cancelled you (i'm assuming what happened here) since you only reported it stolen/lost.

these fees would be valid.
i was just saying you were still getting a bill because you never cancelled the line which is why you kept getting billed until they cancelled you (i'm assuming what happened here) since you only reported it stolen/lost.

these fees would be valid.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

12 of 16 (10,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2012 12:04:13 PM
(0)
Scholar
arctiifructus did you call the outside collections agency? now if the account had been suspended for lost stolen within a reasonable amount of time from the time it was stolen then you may have a leg to stand on but if you waited till 1 to 2 weeks to report it stolen unfortunately your responsible for the charges and buy waiting and letting it go to an oca that would negate any dispute that would be ruled in your favor

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
arctiifructus did you call the outside collections agency? now if the account had been suspended for lost stolen within a reasonable amount of time from the time it was stolen then you may have a leg to stand on but if you waited till 1 to 2 weeks to report it stolen unfortunately your responsible for the charges and buy waiting and letting it go to an oca that would negate any dispute that would be ruled in your favor

13 of 16 (10,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2012 1:58:30 PM
(0)
Former Moderator
Moved for better exposure

OLD DEBT WITH AT&T AND NO ONE GIVES US A STRAIGHT ANSWER!!! HELP!!!

14 of 16 (10,550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2015 1:50:53 PM
(0)
Contributor
Hello, this is Stephanie and I am trying to see how to pay for an old at&t bill because I lost the phone last year and I'm trying get the same server
Hello, this is Stephanie and I am trying to see how to pay for an old at&t bill because I lost the phone last year and I'm trying get the same server

15 of 16 (4,772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2016 12:06:16 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'm in that situation now
I'm in that situation now

16 of 16 (1,938 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments