Posted Apr 5, 2012
12:33:58 PM
View profile
Official release date Ice cream sandwich for Skyrocket?

Does anybody know when ICS will be officially released by AT&T for the Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket?  Would love to get a hold off it. I have been having some issues recently being able to access the memory card in the phone when I connect it to my PC via USB.  The USB connects fine and I can get access to the main memory of my phone (shows up as a drive on my PC), but the memory card does not show up on my PC.  On the phone it does say that the SD card is being used as a mass storage device.  I have tried on a few PC's but without any luck.  It wokred fine at first for a few months.  I was hoping upgrading to ICS would resolve this.  Otherwise, I will do a hard reset of the phone in the hoop this does teh trick.  But I'd hate to have to put everything and all settings back on the phone.

Thanks for any help.

Does anybody know when ICS will be officially released by AT&T for the Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket?  Would love to get a hold off it. I have been having some issues recently being able to access the memory card in the phone when I connect it to my PC via USB.  The USB connects fine and I can get access to the main memory of my phone (shows up as a drive on my PC), but the memory card does not show up on my PC.  On the phone it does say that the SD card is being used as a mass storage device.  I have tried on a few PC's but without any luck.  It wokred fine at first for a few months.  I was hoping upgrading to ICS would resolve this.  Otherwise, I will do a hard reset of the phone in the hoop this does teh trick.  But I'd hate to have to put everything and all settings back on the phone.

Thanks for any help.

Official release date Ice cream sandwich for Skyrocket?

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 1:16:35 PM
(0)
Scholar

We aren't going to get an official release date out of AT&T.

This is the only official word AT&T will send out:

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=22620&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=34101&mapcode=consumer

We aren't going to get an official release date out of AT&T.

This is the only official word AT&T will send out:

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=22620&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=34101&mapcode=consumer

Re: Official release date Ice cream sandwich for Skyrocket?

2 of 20 (15,418 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2012 4:25:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

Don't hold your breath my friend.  It could be months before the official update trickles down to the S2.  ICS was released in Europe and the UK (I think the UK got it), but not the US.  That's because the update now has be tested by the U.S. cell (such as At&t) carriers who will in turn schedule their own release dates.  From what I understand AT&T will send an email about a week before the update explaining the details.  Absolutely terrible form by google and AT&T on this release.  It couldn't have gone worse.

Don't hold your breath my friend.  It could be months before the official update trickles down to the S2.  ICS was released in Europe and the UK (I think the UK got it), but not the US.  That's because the update now has be tested by the U.S. cell (such as At&t) carriers who will in turn schedule their own release dates.  From what I understand AT&T will send an email about a week before the update explaining the details.  Absolutely terrible form by google and AT&T on this release.  It couldn't have gone worse.

3 of 20 (15,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2012 11:41:03 AM
(0)
Scholar
Do people only buy phones to recieve the ICS update?
Do people only buy phones to recieve the ICS update?

4 of 20 (15,156 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2012 11:47:28 PM
(0)
Teacher

I made sure the phones I have will get ICS  I've put the leaked rom on my note and on my skyrocket.  The skyrocket is back to 2.3.6.  I will probably put GB back on my note to get official ICS when it becomes available.

I made sure the phones I have will get ICS  I've put the leaked rom on my note and on my skyrocket.  The skyrocket is back to 2.3.6.  I will probably put GB back on my note to get official ICS when it becomes available.

5 of 20 (15,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2012 8:05:36 AM
(0)
Guru

AT&T NEVER announces release dates...

People didn't discover that the I777 UCKK6 Gingerbread update leak was a release until the OTA updates started rolling out.

Same for the Captivate.

Same for the Infuse.

You can't even tell based on the quality of the leak - sometimes horribly broken leaks (like I777 UCKK6) somehow get released anyway.

AT&T NEVER announces release dates...

People didn't discover that the I777 UCKK6 Gingerbread update leak was a release until the OTA updates started rolling out.

Same for the Captivate.

Same for the Infuse.

You can't even tell based on the quality of the leak - sometimes horribly broken leaks (like I777 UCKK6) somehow get released anyway.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

6 of 20 (15,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2012 7:11:09 PM
(0)
Scholar
With your Rom update, do you approach problems? Does anybody like HTC? My thought of the updates are, they have all the upgrades, but do not release any because they want to keep everyone thinking and buying new phone, justa thought.
With your Rom update, do you approach problems? Does anybody like HTC? My thought of the updates are, they have all the upgrades, but do not release any because they want to keep everyone thinking and buying new phone, justa thought.

7 of 20 (14,881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 7:02:09 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Entropy512 on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:02:33 AM

htc-davis wrote:

It's clear that AT&T wants that to happen...  AT&T still seems to have an effective relationship with Apple that causes them to cripple Android devices horribly.

There are many devices on AT&T that are only slightly different from international variants (the Skyrocket is an exception to this though...) - yet they consistently are plagued with problems not present in the international variants.  Look at the AT&T Galaxy S II (SGH-I777) vs the international GSII (GT-I9100) - they're 99% identical, but every AT&T release is plagued with problems not present in international releases, or which international devices rapidly receive a fix for.

I dislike HTC because they blatantly lied about their bootloader policy.

htc-davis wrote:

It's clear that AT&T wants that to happen...  AT&T still seems to have an effective relationship with Apple that causes them to cripple Android devices horribly.

There are many devices on AT&T that are only slightly different from international variants (the Skyrocket is an exception to this though...) - yet they consistently are plagued with problems not present in the international variants.  Look at the AT&T Galaxy S II (SGH-I777) vs the international GSII (GT-I9100) - they're 99% identical, but every AT&T release is plagued with problems not present in international releases, or which international devices rapidly receive a fix for.

I dislike HTC because they blatantly lied about their bootloader policy.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

[ Edited ]
8 of 20 (14,844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 7:30:58 AM
(0)
Scholar
You are probably correct about the crippling device's because it's ongoing. What about blootloader policy??
You are probably correct about the crippling device's because it's ongoing. What about blootloader policy??

9 of 20 (14,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 8:06:40 AM
(0)
Professor
The reason at&t phones have more problems and slower fixes is that at&t insists on adding bloatware and carrier modifiications to the operating system. They do not use standard android. So anything that comes out must go through at&t as an additional step.
The reason at&t phones have more problems and slower fixes is that at&t insists on adding bloatware and carrier modifiications to the operating system. They do not use standard android. So anything that comes out must go through at&t as an additional step.

10 of 20 (14,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 9:00:51 AM
(0)
Master

Tell me which Android phone doesn't do that?  Even the GNexus for Verizon needs specific modification to Verizon (remove Google Wallet support). And most Google Nesus S phones haven't even received official ICS update yet (from Google). And the international GSM version of GNexus (non carrier branded) is even one build version behind Verizon's GNexux.

The slow update roll out is Android's signature and curse.

FredW wrote:

Tell me which Android phone doesn't do that?  Even the GNexus for Verizon needs specific modification to Verizon (remove Google Wallet support). And most Google Nesus S phones haven't even received official ICS update yet (from Google). And the international GSM version of GNexus (non carrier branded) is even one build version behind Verizon's GNexux.

FredW wrote:

11 of 20 (15,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 11:42:28 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Entropy512 on Apr 11, 2012 at 11:43:15 AM

foxbat121 wrote:

FredW wrote:

Verizon didn't NEED to remove Google Wallet - they CHOSE to do so.

AT&T doesn't NEED to cripple Android phones and delay updates, they CHOOSE to.

Nexus S devices not purchased through a carrier are fine with regards to updates.

Your claim regarding the HSPA+ GNex vs. the Verizon GNex is false - the Verizon GNex is the one that's TWO versions behind, stuck on 4.0.2 - http://code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html - The international GSM/HSPA GNex already has a factory image available for 4.0.4 less than two weeks from Google pushing out source.  The Verizon-crippled variant is the ONLY currently supported Nexus device (other than the Korean M200 variant) that does not have 4.0.4 available.

foxbat121 wrote:

FredW wrote:

Verizon didn't NEED to remove Google Wallet - they CHOSE to do so.

AT&T doesn't NEED to cripple Android phones and delay updates, they CHOOSE to.

Nexus S devices not purchased through a carrier are fine with regards to updates.

Your claim regarding the HSPA+ GNex vs. the Verizon GNex is false - the Verizon GNex is the one that's TWO versions behind, stuck on 4.0.2 - http://code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html - The international GSM/HSPA GNex already has a factory image available for 4.0.4 less than two weeks from Google pushing out source.  The Verizon-crippled variant is the ONLY currently supported Nexus device (other than the Korean M200 variant) that does not have 4.0.4 available.

[ Edited ]
12 of 20 (15,310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 12:53:52 PM
(0)
Master

I know there is 4.0.4 source and factory image out but there from what I read Google haven't push them out via OTA yet. Being available through other means is not the same thing as officially pushed out.

I know there is 4.0.4 source and factory image out but there from what I read Google haven't push them out via OTA yet. Being available through other means is not the same thing as officially pushed out.

13 of 20 (15,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 6:14:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

I was told Q1 2012 for Skyrocket ICS upgrade when I bought this phone last year. Here we are at the end of Q2 and no release date. Is Skyrocket being passed over?

I was told Q1 2012 for Skyrocket ICS upgrade when I bought this phone last year. Here we are at the end of Q2 and no release date. Is Skyrocket being passed over?

14 of 20 (9,471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 8:08:42 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Jun 8, 2012 at 8:09:04 AM

None of the Samsung phones on AT&T, GS2, Skyrocket and Note, have ICS release yet. It is just typical Samsung.

Now before anyone blame it on AT&T entirely. I also have a Samsung GTab 10.1 Wi-fi bought a year ago and there is also no ICS for it yet  (it does not require any carrier verification).

None of the Samsung phones on AT&T, GS2, Skyrocket and Note, have ICS release yet. It is just typical Samsung.

Now before anyone blame it on AT&T entirely. I also have a Samsung GTab 10.1 Wi-fi bought a year ago and there is also no ICS for it yet  (it does not require any carrier verification).

[ Edited ]
15 of 20 (9,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2012 9:19:04 AM
(0)
Scholar
AT&T is doing business in this earth only. so be realistic. try to answer logically without avoiding the main topic. International versions r having ICS, even T-mobile has announced it for coming 11th JUNE 2012. So tell us is there any possibility abt getting ICS this month or NOT
AT&T is doing business in this earth only. so be realistic. try to answer logically without avoiding the main topic. International versions r having ICS, even T-mobile has announced it for coming 11th JUNE 2012. So tell us is there any possibility abt getting ICS this month or NOT
Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket

16 of 20 (9,113 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2012 1:19:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'd like to see how the update to ICS runs on the skyrocket before deciding if i want to get the GSIII or not. Maybe that is their intent is to not update until the GS3 is out so more people will upgrade? 

I'd like to see how the update to ICS runs on the skyrocket before deciding if i want to get the GSIII or not. Maybe that is their intent is to not update until the GS3 is out so more people will upgrade? 

17 of 20 (9,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2012 1:19:22 PM
(0)
Guru

foxbat121 wrote:

Except that in this case, it is entirely AT&T.  It took a single developer (myself) less than a week in their spare time to get the I9100 Update4 release running as well on the I777 as it was on the I9100.

There's no excuse for the long delay, there's even less excuse for the I777 leak kernels having the trigger conditions for Superbrick.

foxbat121 wrote:

Except that in this case, it is entirely AT&T.  It took a single developer (myself) less than a week in their spare time to get the I9100 Update4 release running as well on the I777 as it was on the I9100.

There's no excuse for the long delay, there's even less excuse for the I777 leak kernels having the trigger conditions for Superbrick.

18 of 20 (8,766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2012 3:59:45 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by ShaunMN on Jun 11, 2012 at 4:11:14 PM

Entropy is 100% correct, the blame here falls entirely on at&t for both the superbrick bug by changing the kernel code sent from Samsung and for the huge delay of the ice release. I can only hope that Samsung will wake up and tell at&t to {word filter evasion} like apple did. Notice all ios updates come from apple and not at&t. That is the one up apple has over android. Entropy, I loved all of your work on the i777, I wish you did work for the i727. Such is life, my next device will not be branded. Intub8/galaxymaster

Entropy is 100% correct, the blame here falls entirely on at&t for both the superbrick bug by changing the kernel code sent from Samsung and for the huge delay of the ice release. I can only hope that Samsung will wake up and tell at&t to {word filter evasion} like apple did. Notice all ios updates come from apple and not at&t. That is the one up apple has over android. Entropy, I loved all of your work on the i777, I wish you did work for the i727. Such is life, my next device will not be branded. Intub8/galaxymaster

[ Edited ]
19 of 20 (8,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2012 12:22:10 AM
(0)
Scholar
T-Mobile announced ICS for Samsung Galxy SII and its available from today. Only using Kies software , T-mobile Samsung Galaxy SII will be updated to ICS. But they should give both Kies and via Wifi (OTA) option to update
T-Mobile announced ICS for Samsung Galxy SII and its available from today. Only using Kies software , T-mobile Samsung Galaxy SII will be updated to ICS. But they should give both Kies and via Wifi (OTA) option to update
Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket

20 of 20 (8,516 Views)