Off Network Territory

Off Network Territory

I am also having trouble with AT&T but for different reasons. I went on vacation (in the United States) and entered Off Network territory. I'm not in trouble for minute usage but data usage. It appears that Off Network usage charges don't show up on your bill...look at your account online and you won't see any Off Network usage. The only thing you will see is a red line for your data usage AFTER you have screwed up. Most of the customer service people are not familiar with this. You have to find someone that knows what they are talking about. We are still trying to work things out. I'm not using my phone at this time but I'm getting off network data usage for the text messages that AT&T is sending me while I am in the Off Network area!!!!

I don't think their maps are accurate. But I can't say for sure since I can't see when I was charged for being out of network.

Hopefully we will get this worked out.

{Post moved to new thread}

Message Edited by mod.moose on 07-04-2009 11:02:07 AM
Message 1 of 11

Re: I think att SUCKS

Still waiting.......
Message 3 of 11
Scholar

Please Herbee....it's the fourth! Go have a beer!Woman Wink
Message 5 of 11

Thanks 'thedogmother' thats the best advice I've gotten so far :-)
Message 7 of 11

I'm waiting to hear from all you AT&T supporters.....what do you have to say about my problem? You are sooooo....silent.
Message 2 of 11

An hour ... and still no response. You aren't very helpful. I don't have time for this.
Message 4 of 11

Call customer care and ask them. Their number is 1-800-331-0500

{Please keep it courteous and edit out any uncalled for comments.}  
Message Edited by shamefulidentity on 07-04-2009 08:01:50 AM
Message Edited by mod.moose on 07-04-2009 10:21:34 AM
Message 6 of 11
Former Moderator

herbeehusker wrote:
An hour ... and still no response. You aren't very helpful. I don't have time for this.

AT&T provides these Wireless Forums as a service to its users and customers, to help them exchange ideas, tips, information, and techniques related to AT&T wireless services.  Members need to remember that it's  other members just like yourself that are volunteering their time to help others by answering questions and they aren't around every minute of every day. 

A forum moderator’s job is to maintain the forum itself.  If in the future your thread is unsuccessful, feel free to contact Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from your wireless handset.

Please keep this thread on topic.  Thank you.

Thank you,

Message Edited by mod.moose on 07-04-2009 11:14:13 AM

mod.moose
Message 10 of 11
Master

herbeehusker wrote:

I am also having trouble with AT&T but for different reasons. I went on vacation (in the United States) and entered Off Network territory. I'm not in trouble for minute usage but data usage. It appears that Off Network usage charges don't show up on your bill...look at your account online and you won't see any Off Network usage. The only thing you will see is a red line for your data usage AFTER you have screwed up. Most of the customer service people are not familiar with this. You have to find someone that knows what they are talking about. We are still trying to work things out. I'm not using my phone at this time but I'm getting off network data usage for the text messages that AT&T is sending me while I am in the Off Network area!!!!

I don't think their maps are accurate. But I can't say for sure since I can't see when I was charged for being out of network.

Hopefully we will get this worked out.

Off network charges do not immediately show up because they are just that..  Off network.  AT&T has to wait for reporting from the other company before they can report it on your bill.  Sometimes this can be delayed 1-2 months AFTER you were in the off network area.

As far as the maps go, you're correct.  They aren't accurate, and even states so in the fine print at the bottom of the map.

"Map depicts an approximation of outdoor coverage.  Map may include areas served by unaffiliated carriers and may depict their licensed area rather than an approximation of the coverage there.  Actual coverage area may differ substansially from map graphics, and coverage may be affected by such things as terrain, weather, foliage, buildings and other construction, signal strength, customer equipment and other factors.  AT&T does not guarantee coverage."

Message 8 of 11

Thank you Athena for a polite informed response
Message 9 of 11
Master

And you never stated where in the US you went on vacation.  So far as I know, you should never see data charges while roaming domestically.  The only catch to this is that if you're in an area that borders another country (like anywhere along the Canadian border), and you pick up roaming on a wireless carrier in that country, you may see charges because you're technically roaming internationally.  AT&T can terminate an account if they determine that excessive off-network usage in the US occurs on an ongoing basis, but I don't believe they charge for that roaming so long as the carrier is domestic.  While I can't say for certain that AT&T has roaming agreements with every domestic carrier, I believe it would be more likely that you simply wouldn't get data and/or voice service if you roamed onto the network of a carrier with whom AT&T has no agreements.
Message 11 of 11
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support