Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 10, 2008
10:35:07 PM
View profile
Odd coverage issue within buildings
Hi,

Within certain buildings on my college campus (Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN), I have bizarre coverage issues.  Note that this only happens in a couple of buildings (including, unfortunately, my dorm), but not in most.  My phone will usually get no signal at all, and I'll be unable to call and send/receive text messages.  Other times, it will show several bars, but I still can't make calls or send/receive texts, and when I receive a phone call I can (clearly) hear the person on the other end, but they can't hear me at all.  These problems don't occur directly outside my building, and other people I know using other carriers (specifically Sprint) do not have any issues at all.

So is this just a case of a couple very small coverage holes (unlikely - the whole building is affected, and going *right* outside is fine), or could there be something interfering with the signal?  If so, any ideas as to what?

Thanks a lot.
Hi,

Within certain buildings on my college campus (Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN), I have bizarre coverage issues.  Note that this only happens in a couple of buildings (including, unfortunately, my dorm), but not in most.  My phone will usually get no signal at all, and I'll be unable to call and send/receive text messages.  Other times, it will show several bars, but I still can't make calls or send/receive texts, and when I receive a phone call I can (clearly) hear the person on the other end, but they can't hear me at all.  These problems don't occur directly outside my building, and other people I know using other carriers (specifically Sprint) do not have any issues at all.

So is this just a case of a couple very small coverage holes (unlikely - the whole building is affected, and going *right* outside is fine), or could there be something interfering with the signal?  If so, any ideas as to what?

Thanks a lot.

Odd coverage issue within buildings

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2008 10:40:05 PM
(0)
Expert

Elmer Clark wrote:
Hi,
     Thanks a lot.

It would be the construction of the building in which you are in that is hampering the signal to the phone.

Elmer Clark wrote:
Hi,
     Thanks a lot.

It would be the construction of the building in which you are in that is hampering the signal to the phone.

Re: Odd coverage issue within buildings

2 of 6 (1,129 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2008 8:28:46 AM
(0)
Guru
Also, any building that has any type of reflective film or low e coating on the glass will kill reception.  Data will frewuntly still get through, but nothing else.
Also, any building that has any type of reflective film or low e coating on the glass will kill reception.  Data will frewuntly still get through, but nothing else.

3 of 6 (1,123 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2008 1:52:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

wilcre wrote:

Elmer Clark wrote:
Hi,
     Thanks a lot.

Ok, I figured it was something like that, but I still find it odd that people with service from other networks are having no issues at all.  At least one other AT&T customer here is having the same problem though.

I take it there's nothing really to be done about this, then?  I figured that would be the case, but it kinda sucks - I'll probably have to switch networks.

wilcre wrote:

Elmer Clark wrote:
Hi,
     Thanks a lot.

Ok, I figured it was something like that, but I still find it odd that people with service from other networks are having no issues at all.  At least one other AT&T customer here is having the same problem though.

I take it there's nothing really to be done about this, then?  I figured that would be the case, but it kinda sucks - I'll probably have to switch networks.

4 of 6 (1,113 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2008 12:23:59 PM
(0)
Guru
It all depends on the position of the tower to the building.  I lucked out at my office, most people have Verizon and have no coverage once they put reflective film on, my ATT coverage was not affected much.  All the networks have different coverage, thats why the 30 day trial in important.  If you are still within the 30 days, try your phone in some more locations and see how it does.
It all depends on the position of the tower to the building.  I lucked out at my office, most people have Verizon and have no coverage once they put reflective film on, my ATT coverage was not affected much.  All the networks have different coverage, thats why the 30 day trial in important.  If you are still within the 30 days, try your phone in some more locations and see how it does.

5 of 6 (1,092 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2008 10:37:41 AM
(0)
Teacher
Its also a frequency issue, some will penetrate better than others. 

Nashville has 850Mhz so you don't get as much penetration - but you do get a lot more reflection.  Some phones are better than others as well - my HTC handsets are not as selective as my older LG or Motorola handsets.

You may find that getting an antenna coupler and a full size 850 antenna may make a difference even inside a building.  I know someone that put a car glassmount antenna on a dorm window and used their radiator as a ground plane. 
Its also a frequency issue, some will penetrate better than others. 

Nashville has 850Mhz so you don't get as much penetration - but you do get a lot more reflection.  Some phones are better than others as well - my HTC handsets are not as selective as my older LG or Motorola handsets.

You may find that getting an antenna coupler and a full size 850 antenna may make a difference even inside a building.  I know someone that put a car glassmount antenna on a dorm window and used their radiator as a ground plane. 

6 of 6 (1,080 Views)