Helpful Links

Odd activation text

Professor

Odd activation text

Last night, I was awaken in the middle of the night by a text message alert from AT&T. It was congratulating me on successfully activating my Microcell. The issue is, I activated my Microcell June of last year and have been using it since. Could it have been due to an update? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 12
Professor

Re: Odd activation text

sitnsidewayz wrote:

Last night, I was awaken in the middle of the night by a text message alert from AT&T. It was congratulating me on successfully activating my Microcell. The issue is, I activated my Microcell June of last year and have been using it since. Could it have been due to an update? Any ideas?

Ok, I assume nobody else has experienced this. I'm still not sure if an update was involved, but my Microcell definitely re-activated itself. Prior to this, when on the Microcell, the weather widget on my Inspire would show that I'm in San Antonio. Since that night, it no longer shows San Antonio and only shows the words "Current Location" instead. The weather displayed is the correct weather for my location. I guess when it comes to the Microcell, some things will always remain a mystery. AT&T's lack of any kind of decent communications doesn't help matters.

Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
ACE - Master

sitnsidewayz wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

Ok, I assume nobody else has experienced this. I'm still not sure if an update was involved, but my Microcell definitely re-activated itself. Prior to this, when on the Microcell, the weather widget on my Inspire would show that I'm in San Antonio. Since that night, it no longer shows San Antonio and only shows the words "Current Location" instead. The weather displayed is the correct weather for my location. I guess when it comes to the Microcell, some things will always remain a mystery. AT&T's lack of any kind of decent communications doesn't help matters.

From what I've been able to acertain, AT&T did some sort of MicroCell update around the week of the 18th (at least here in the Bay Area) which resulted in some of us losing our connectivity altogether. After a week of working with support, many hours and two warranty replacements of MicroCells later, AT&T is sending out a complimentary ConnecTech person to my house to try and figure out what is going on. My feeling is that whatever update they did, it now requires very specific router information to work correctly for some setups. Special router configurations (specifically port forwarding, etc) were never required or needed before, at least in my case.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTMobilityCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 12
Teacher

What ports do you have open on your router?

Message 4 of 12
ACE - Master

acMcLean wrote:

What ports do you have open on your router?

According the document that AT&T support sent me:

DHCP is on

MTU size is 1492

MAC address filtering is off or allows the address of the MicroCell

IPSec Pass-Through is Enabled

Block Fragmented Packets is Disabled

TCP/UDP Ports

all ports need to be configured for inbound and outbound traffic

123/UDP: NTP timing

443/TCP: Https over TLS/SSL

4500/UDP: IPSec NAT Traversal

500/UDP: IPSec Phase 1 prior to NAT detection

You also need to make sure that your modem is not doing NAT as well as your router or you'll have "double NAT" which won't work. None of this is guaranteed though. I still can't get mine to work after the update so AT&T is sending out someone from ConnecTech to troubls shoot (at their cost!).

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTMobilityCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 12
Contributor

I've experienced this twice (and I recall also receiving email as well). I called support (or lack thereof) and each time they had no idea what was going on (nothing new there), but I'm guessing firmware update etc.  

Anyway, I have noticed calls don't drop as often in last 4 months, but I'm now getting a delay connecting a call, ho hum.......

Message 6 of 12
ACE - Master

You also need to make sure that your modem is not doing NAT as well as your router or you'll have "double NAT" which won't work. None of this is guaranteed though. I still can't get mine to work after the update so AT&T is sending out someone from ConnecTech to troubls shoot (at their cost!).

To answer my own post, miracuously, my connection came up late Wed. afternoon. I left it alone, and then did a power cycle on Thursday night. Everything is plugged into a power strip so I just shut it all off. Waited 15 minutes, and turned it all back on, at the same time. None of this DSL modem first, then the router, then the MicroCell. GPS synced in 8 minutes and 3G locked on in 12 minutes. Cancelled the ConnecTech appointment, which was not easy. 30 minutes on hold Thursday night so I sent an email. First thing Friday morning I called and got thru to India. Has been rock solid since. No problems with calls etc. Time will tell.

Message 7 of 12

Sounds odd.  Did you know they were giving microcells away for free?  They gave one to a friend of mine who has been a customer for 5 months, yet I had to buy mine as a customer of almost 2 years.  I called to complain and they just said "sorry"

Message 8 of 12
Tutor

During my two weeks of trying to get my new MicroCell to activate, I spent an hour on the phone with my ISP who eventually told me everything was open and clear and it should work and that I should suspect my router settings.  So I spent a little time on the phone with Linksys, (Cisco), and after they had me check a couple things, said my router should be fine and the problem is on AT&T's end.

I tried all those settings that the MicroCell support site recommends for a Linksys router like setting the MTU at 1492.  Actually, that didn't help at all and since I'm on a cable ISP, it should be set to 1500 or the preferred "Auto".  As far as port settings go, unless you have specifically "close off" some ports, the default settings on a home Linksys router leaves them wide open and should not be causing a problem.

What I found and still seems to be of much debate and controversy is the physical positioning of the MicroCell within the house.  I found that just "pivoting" my MicroCell 180 degree can cause it to gain or loose its 3G signal.  I had a heck of a time finding the perfect spot but finally, I have had perfect operation for several days now since I positioned it in one particular spot in front of one particular window.

One more thing that seems to go against the AT&T instructions is that using an unauthorized or extended cable can make your MicroCell inoperative.  It just wasn't practical or possible to place my MicroCell in front of the window where it needed to be and still be able to reach the modem/router with the supplied cable.  So I was able to add an additional cat-6 cable that was slightly longer than the AT&T cable and use them in series by connecting them with a Linksys Ethernet switch.  It seems to work perfect and no hiccups so far.

Message 9 of 12
Guru

Huh.  I never noticed anything about not using a longer Ethernet cable.

FWIW, one of the places I tried placing our MicroCell, when I was experimenting looking for best performance, was in our basement.   Not only did I have no problem getting GPS lock down there but the connection to my router was through a 75' length of Cat 5E cable.  The MC booted up and worked without a problem.

Go figure.

Message 10 of 12
Guru

I concur: you should not have any trouble with any Ethernet cable whose length doesn't exceed the specification. And you can add switches in the middle to break a single length into pieces.

And, I believe, the maximum length for a 100baseT cable is 100 meters, which is quite long indeed.

Message 11 of 12
Guru

I got the same text message around the time you did.  I thought it was odd.  I actually run 2 MCells, one at work and one home.  I'm not sure which one was re-activated but I never noticed any interruption in service on either.

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support