Novatel MiFi card for AT&T

Teacher

Novatel MiFi card for AT&T

Novatel recently announced the MiFi 2372 "Intelligent Mobile Hotspot" that is GSM capable, configured for US and international GSM frequencies. Earlier versions have been available for Verizon and Sprint networks in the US or GSM networks in Europe.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090728005338&newsLang=en

Any word in here on whether AT&T plans on adopting this unit as part of their Laptop Connect armamentarium?

Message 1 of 19
Guru

Re: Novatel MiFi card for AT&T

I've had a MiFi 2372 for about 6 months now, clocking in about 2 GB per month on it with a combination of my laptop, my wife's and our iPhones (my wife can get by with the 200MB data plan, thanks to the MiFi). It's not absolute perfection, but it's a lot more convenient than the Quicksilver I used to use. Add to that the GPS which integrates nicely with Google Maps, and it's a great fit for road warriors.

I use it just about daily on my CalTrain commute (I am typing this on the train right now). 

I'm fairly sure that the reason AT&T doesn't market these themselves is that Novatel probably inked some sort of exclusivity deal with Verizon. I can't conceive of any other reason why AT&T doesn't sell one.

Message 16 of 19
Mentor

There is no exclusivity with Verizon, Sprint also markets the 2200 device. 

I suspect that the decision by AT&T not to handle the MiFi is based on limited bandwidth, and the higher profitibility of the iPhone data plans over data plans on the USB and MiFi.

When you have a limited resource, you sell it for the highest price possible!

Message 17 of 19
Contributor

I have a MiFi and wish that AT&T's system wasn't as big of a pain as it is.  Our accounts were grandfathered in with the unlimited plans but AT&T is telling me that if I stick my SIM card in my MiFi that I will lose my unlimited plan.  

Seriously, how screwed up is that?  IMHO, AT&T tries to screw their customer base every chance they get.  I do NOT want to pay for a completely separate plan for my MiFi but I am afraid that is what I'm going to have to do.  

Message 18 of 19
Highlighted
Mentor

Kandlelight wrote:

I have a MiFi and wish that AT&T's system wasn't as big of a pain as it is.  Our accounts were grandfathered in with the unlimited plans but AT&T is telling me that if I stick my SIM card in my MiFi that I will lose my unlimited plan.  

Hmmm . . . . . that is the first I have heard of such a thing.  It is possible, since the MiFi transmits a unique IMEI, that AT&T may have those loaded (or the range of numbers) to flag if they are used with a SIM on the old plan.  It seems like kind of a stretch though, a lot of work to watch for something that would be pretty rare. 

If you think they are serious, you can likely use your existing USB modem with one of the Cradlepoint routers, not anywhere near as small, but end result is about the same but with 4 times the Wifi range.  Since the IMEI on AT&T's system remains the same, they would have no way of telling you are using a router. 

If you need the battery, look at the PHS300, it will run 2+ hours without power, and there is a 12v car cord availble.  Like the MiFi, it has no ethernet connectivity.

If the battery is not important, perhaps the CTR500 which has wifi and an ethernet port, or even the CTR350 which is under $100 but cannot support future 4G modems.   There are also several N-Band routers available, many with integrated 4 port ethernet hubs.   Here is an article about choosing a router which may help. 

Be careful though, if you abuse the privilege, they are still likely to come back again and tell you that the unlimited plan is NLA!  

HTH

Message 19 of 19
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support