Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 2, 2009
10:08:47 AM
View profile
Novatel MiFi card for AT&T

Novatel recently announced the MiFi 2372 "Intelligent Mobile Hotspot" that is GSM capable, configured for US and international GSM frequencies. Earlier versions have been available for Verizon and Sprint networks in the US or GSM networks in Europe.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090728005338&newsLang=en

Any word in here on whether AT&T plans on adopting this unit as part of their Laptop Connect armamentarium?

Novatel recently announced the MiFi 2372 "Intelligent Mobile Hotspot" that is GSM capable, configured for US and international GSM frequencies. Earlier versions have been available for Verizon and Sprint networks in the US or GSM networks in Europe.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090728005338&newsLang=en

Any word in here on whether AT&T plans on adopting this unit as part of their Laptop Connect armamentarium?

Novatel MiFi card for AT&T

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2009 7:29:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

Sign me up for one!

7.2Mbps down and 5.76Mbps up.

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these.  I half considered switching to one of the other networks that already offered this technology, until I read the press release that this has been developed for ATT networks.  I am willing to wait, but only for so long.  I suspect ATT+Apple+Novatel are discussing T&C's.

I am a satellite ISP customer, because no DSL / Cable / Fiber...etc in my area.  I will look to MiFi for a faster, more reliable wireless network in my home.  No more satellite with painfully slow upload speeds and dead in weather conditions.

Is ATT looking for any trials?  I would deliver an excellent customer testimonial.

Look here for specific info on the 2372:

http://www.novatelwireless.com/pdf/MiFi2372Datasheet.pdf

Sign me up for one!

7.2Mbps down and 5.76Mbps up.

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these.  I half considered switching to one of the other networks that already offered this technology, until I read the press release that this has been developed for ATT networks.  I am willing to wait, but only for so long.  I suspect ATT+Apple+Novatel are discussing T&C's.

I am a satellite ISP customer, because no DSL / Cable / Fiber...etc in my area.  I will look to MiFi for a faster, more reliable wireless network in my home.  No more satellite with painfully slow upload speeds and dead in weather conditions.

Is ATT looking for any trials?  I would deliver an excellent customer testimonial.

Look here for specific info on the 2372:

http://www.novatelwireless.com/pdf/MiFi2372Datasheet.pdf

Re: Novatel MiFi card for AT&T

2 of 19 (62,483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2009 1:57:49 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have a friend that tried the Sprint version and was pretty underwhelmed.  The quality control seems pretty poor, they replaced it 3 times before he got one to actually work!    His comment to me was "It is more of a toy than a tool".  Twenty feet of range made it marginally useful anywhere except in the car.  He ended up taking it back and cancelling the service.  

Instead he is trying out one of Globesurfer 3 gateways with an AT&T data plan. A very cool little outfit that works like a Mifi (aircard/router combined) but it will run his USB printer from his network as well as a desktop.  Actually would run 2 desktops through ethernet ports, and has a standard phone jack as well.  I am not certain how the phone jack works as far as billing.  

So far he loves the thing, getting consistent d/l speeds in the 3Meg range, but he isn'a sure if ATT will work at their mountain cabin, and that could be a deal breaker.

HTH

I have a friend that tried the Sprint version and was pretty underwhelmed.  The quality control seems pretty poor, they replaced it 3 times before he got one to actually work!    His comment to me was "It is more of a toy than a tool".  Twenty feet of range made it marginally useful anywhere except in the car.  He ended up taking it back and cancelling the service.  

Instead he is trying out one of Globesurfer 3 gateways with an AT&T data plan. A very cool little outfit that works like a Mifi (aircard/router combined) but it will run his USB printer from his network as well as a desktop.  Actually would run 2 desktops through ethernet ports, and has a standard phone jack as well.  I am not certain how the phone jack works as far as billing.  

So far he loves the thing, getting consistent d/l speeds in the 3Meg range, but he isn'a sure if ATT will work at their mountain cabin, and that could be a deal breaker.

HTH

3 of 19 (62,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2009 1:52:01 PM
(0)
Professor
Wow, that actually looks pretty neat. Thank you for the link DHarabs!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Wow, that actually looks pretty neat. Thank you for the link DHarabs!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

4 of 19 (62,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2009 5:07:34 AM
(0)
Tutor
Also see the forthcoming Novatel GSM imbedding into the Dell Latitude E4300. Does what the MIFI 2372 does and more, but one less part to carry around. AT&T must be scratching their heads on how to find the Cellular bandwidth and how to bill for this stuff. Providing free hotspot access to it's handheld data customers is just a temporary fix for big bandwidth problems
Also see the forthcoming Novatel GSM imbedding into the Dell Latitude E4300. Does what the MIFI 2372 does and more, but one less part to carry around. AT&T must be scratching their heads on how to find the Cellular bandwidth and how to bill for this stuff. Providing free hotspot access to it's handheld data customers is just a temporary fix for big bandwidth problems

5 of 19 (61,483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2009 10:02:07 PM
(0)
Mentor

Just to follow up, after a couple of months my friend is still thrilled with his Globesurfer III.   There was no AT&T service at their mountain cabin, but they have a Verizon card from his work to use up there.

He indicated that setting up the USB print driver was a little tricky, but other than that is was pretty much plug and play. 

Later  

Just to follow up, after a couple of months my friend is still thrilled with his Globesurfer III.   There was no AT&T service at their mountain cabin, but they have a Verizon card from his work to use up there.

He indicated that setting up the USB print driver was a little tricky, but other than that is was pretty much plug and play. 

Later  

6 of 19 (59,986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2009 6:49:18 AM
(0)
Contributor
If this item is priced right and works, people will get it and use it. The kicker is that people will not wait forever. There is a window of opportunity that will eventually close if AT&T does not get it together soon. Because I am a current AT&T subscriber, I am waiting, but not for much longer. There are, and will be, other items available.
If this item is priced right and works, people will get it and use it. The kicker is that people will not wait forever. There is a window of opportunity that will eventually close if AT&T does not get it together soon. Because I am a current AT&T subscriber, I am waiting, but not for much longer. There are, and will be, other items available.

7 of 19 (59,413 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2009 3:16:47 PM
(0)
Mentor

If you can't wait, you can order the MiFi now from Mifieurope  292 Euros, works out to ~$470 with shipping.   Yes it is the European version but will work on most systems here. 

You might want to check out some user reviews in Portugal and the other countries that have had it out for a few months at least, not terribly positive.  

Here is also a review at UMPC Portal

Meanwhile, if you decide to go the traditional route with a USB modem and router, there is a killer deal on the MBR1000 ($179.99), and you get a free CTR350 from Cradlepoint to boot!  It is a black Friday digital Monday promotion that only lasts 4 days.  

I have watched the pricing on these things all year and it has never gotten that low before. 

HTH

If you can't wait, you can order the MiFi now from Mifieurope  292 Euros, works out to ~$470 with shipping.   Yes it is the European version but will work on most systems here. 

You might want to check out some user reviews in Portugal and the other countries that have had it out for a few months at least, not terribly positive.  

Here is also a review at UMPC Portal

Meanwhile, if you decide to go the traditional route with a USB modem and router, there is a killer deal on the MBR1000 ($179.99), and you get a free CTR350 from Cradlepoint to boot!  It is a black Friday digital Monday promotion that only lasts 4 days.  

I have watched the pricing on these things all year and it has never gotten that low before. 

HTH

8 of 19 (59,282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2010 9:28:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

@DHarabs the Globesurfer III is very cool, but one major thing it is missing is a battery. The advantage of the MiFi is that it is portable, small, and can be used anywhere. Trying to find power at an Airport, or out at a rocket launch site, or heck even when the passenger in a car can be near impossible. Not only can the MiFi do all of its WiFi magic but you can also charge it via a standard USB cable. I have gotten around 3.5 hours of use on a single charge and we pound on ours pretty hard.

The one big gripe I have with my Verizon MiFi is that while you can charge via USB it then turns off the WiFi portion and turns in to a local attached device sending the 3G signal over USB while charging. I don't want that, I just want it to charge while I surf via WiFi with other people. I think the solution is to find a USB cable that only has pins for power.

Never had an issue with my Verizon unit. Wouldn't call it cheap or a toy. It is an amazing device that we have used to stream live video from launch sites as well as produce shows for Spacevidcast.com anywhere in the country. I like to carry multiple providers with me (because no one has coverage everywhere) and would love to add a mobile 3G to WiFi solution to my AT&T arsenal. I've been waiting for AT&T for so long now I may just skip their unit and go with Verizon (already done), Sprint (already done) and T-Mobile. Sharing my connection via the ExpressCard I have now is too painful. Of course T-Mobile doesn't carry it either and their 3G network is a bit... tiny.

@DHarabs the Globesurfer III is very cool, but one major thing it is missing is a battery. The advantage of the MiFi is that it is portable, small, and can be used anywhere. Trying to find power at an Airport, or out at a rocket launch site, or heck even when the passenger in a car can be near impossible. Not only can the MiFi do all of its WiFi magic but you can also charge it via a standard USB cable. I have gotten around 3.5 hours of use on a single charge and we pound on ours pretty hard.

The one big gripe I have with my Verizon MiFi is that while you can charge via USB it then turns off the WiFi portion and turns in to a local attached device sending the 3G signal over USB while charging. I don't want that, I just want it to charge while I surf via WiFi with other people. I think the solution is to find a USB cable that only has pins for power.

Never had an issue with my Verizon unit. Wouldn't call it cheap or a toy. It is an amazing device that we have used to stream live video from launch sites as well as produce shows for Spacevidcast.com anywhere in the country. I like to carry multiple providers with me (because no one has coverage everywhere) and would love to add a mobile 3G to WiFi solution to my AT&T arsenal. I've been waiting for AT&T for so long now I may just skip their unit and go with Verizon (already done), Sprint (already done) and T-Mobile. Sharing my connection via the ExpressCard I have now is too painful. Of course T-Mobile doesn't carry it either and their 3G network is a bit... tiny.

9 of 19 (56,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2010 4:59:16 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by DHarabs on Jan 3, 2010 at 5:01:37 PM

Yes you are correct, no battery.  But car cords are cheap, and there are several battery optjons out there that will run the GlobeSurfer III all day long, the Tekkeon units are pretty reasonable.  

If you need 4-5 users, in a car, a tent, or small RV, it works pretty well, we could not even get the Verizon unit to work in the adjoining room, and Sprint unis just barely.  Also the limitation of wifi only connection is pretty limiting, no USB, no ethernet connectivity.  Wifi only, and then as you discovered, only when not connected to the charger.    I don't believe that the power only USB cable is the answer, we butchered a cable thinking it would, but it appears that the voltage input is actually what triggers the wifi to shut off.

The Mifi units have a place in the market, no doubt, but people buying them expecting to network their house will be pretty disappointed (unless they live in a 700 sq foot house w/rice paper walls).  

Your assessment of the T-Mobile coverage is very generous, they have a long ways to go yet.

Later

Message Edited by DHarabs on 01-03-2010 05:01:37 PM

Yes you are correct, no battery.  But car cords are cheap, and there are several battery optjons out there that will run the GlobeSurfer III all day long, the Tekkeon units are pretty reasonable.  

If you need 4-5 users, in a car, a tent, or small RV, it works pretty well, we could not even get the Verizon unit to work in the adjoining room, and Sprint unis just barely.  Also the limitation of wifi only connection is pretty limiting, no USB, no ethernet connectivity.  Wifi only, and then as you discovered, only when not connected to the charger.    I don't believe that the power only USB cable is the answer, we butchered a cable thinking it would, but it appears that the voltage input is actually what triggers the wifi to shut off.

The Mifi units have a place in the market, no doubt, but people buying them expecting to network their house will be pretty disappointed (unless they live in a 700 sq foot house w/rice paper walls).  

Your assessment of the T-Mobile coverage is very generous, they have a long ways to go yet.

Later

Message Edited by DHarabs on 01-03-2010 05:01:37 PM

[ Edited ]
10 of 19 (56,404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2010 10:32:52 AM
(0)
Mentor

Just wanted to say thanks for the info on the MBR.  After reading your post, following your link, and reading reviews I purchased and am very happy with it.  This is why I browse this forum.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info on the MBR.  After reading your post, following your link, and reading reviews I purchased and am very happy with it.  This is why I browse this forum.

11 of 19 (8,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2010 7:45:49 AM
(0)
Mentor

You are very welcome, glad to help, sweet setup eeh?

They are doing the free CTR350 again with an MBR1000 purchase, from now until 3/15/10.  A very sweet deal.

You are very welcome, glad to help, sweet setup eeh?

They are doing the free CTR350 again with an MBR1000 purchase, from now until 3/15/10.  A very sweet deal.

12 of 19 (8,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2010 4:22:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

A few years ago while at Fry's, I picked up a 3G wireless router for ~$60, it's an ALink brand, but many of the 3G routers out there wear the same exact skin (for more $$$).  Mine takes a PCMCIA card, of which I have a few; the router firmware is based on linux, so you just plug it in and it works.  It's about the size of a portable CD player.  I use it to create a private network at my office and take my SIM card out for my USB Mercury to take on the road.  Initially, I too only had the options of GSM or satellite at home (until 8 monts ago, dial-up for 15 years!!!), and used that with DD-WRT routers as repeaters to create a network between my house and my neighbor's.  It doesn't eat a lot of juice, and I have used it with an inverter in my truck for emergency work.  All in all, not too portable, but great if you want a router at home for a whole lot less money. 

A few years ago while at Fry's, I picked up a 3G wireless router for ~$60, it's an ALink brand, but many of the 3G routers out there wear the same exact skin (for more $$$).  Mine takes a PCMCIA card, of which I have a few; the router firmware is based on linux, so you just plug it in and it works.  It's about the size of a portable CD player.  I use it to create a private network at my office and take my SIM card out for my USB Mercury to take on the road.  Initially, I too only had the options of GSM or satellite at home (until 8 monts ago, dial-up for 15 years!!!), and used that with DD-WRT routers as repeaters to create a network between my house and my neighbor's.  It doesn't eat a lot of juice, and I have used it with an inverter in my truck for emergency work.  All in all, not too portable, but great if you want a router at home for a whole lot less money. 

13 of 19 (7,407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 12:37:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'd suggest a ZALiP CDM530AM Broadband Router which will work with most existing USB Broadband Modems (http://www.zalip.com.tw/en-us/product/2_3.xG/1_CDM530AM.html). It is available online from a number of sources. I bought mine at J&R in New York City for $90.00 USD.

I'd suggest a ZALiP CDM530AM Broadband Router which will work with most existing USB Broadband Modems (http://www.zalip.com.tw/en-us/product/2_3.xG/1_CDM530AM.html). It is available online from a number of sources. I bought mine at J&R in New York City for $90.00 USD.

Re: Novatel MiFi card for AT&T - Alternative

14 of 19 (5,282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2010 4:18:45 AM
(0)
Mentor

The actual MiFi unit is now a little more competitively priced, it does not look like AT&T is going to handle it directly, they would rather you just buy two modems (and two subscriptions). 

The MiFi 2372 is the North American version, it supports most carriers using GSM.  

Yes it has the battery.

The actual MiFi unit is now a little more competitively priced, it does not look like AT&T is going to handle it directly, they would rather you just buy two modems (and two subscriptions). 

The MiFi 2372 is the North American version, it supports most carriers using GSM.  

Yes it has the battery.

15 of 19 (5,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 5:14:05 PM
(0)
Guru

I've had a MiFi 2372 for about 6 months now, clocking in about 2 GB per month on it with a combination of my laptop, my wife's and our iPhones (my wife can get by with the 200MB data plan, thanks to the MiFi). It's not absolute perfection, but it's a lot more convenient than the Quicksilver I used to use. Add to that the GPS which integrates nicely with Google Maps, and it's a great fit for road warriors.

I use it just about daily on my CalTrain commute (I am typing this on the train right now). 

I'm fairly sure that the reason AT&T doesn't market these themselves is that Novatel probably inked some sort of exclusivity deal with Verizon. I can't conceive of any other reason why AT&T doesn't sell one.

I've had a MiFi 2372 for about 6 months now, clocking in about 2 GB per month on it with a combination of my laptop, my wife's and our iPhones (my wife can get by with the 200MB data plan, thanks to the MiFi). It's not absolute perfection, but it's a lot more convenient than the Quicksilver I used to use. Add to that the GPS which integrates nicely with Google Maps, and it's a great fit for road warriors.

I use it just about daily on my CalTrain commute (I am typing this on the train right now). 

I'm fairly sure that the reason AT&T doesn't market these themselves is that Novatel probably inked some sort of exclusivity deal with Verizon. I can't conceive of any other reason why AT&T doesn't sell one.

16 of 19 (4,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2010 9:41:03 PM
(0)
Mentor

There is no exclusivity with Verizon, Sprint also markets the 2200 device. 

I suspect that the decision by AT&T not to handle the MiFi is based on limited bandwidth, and the higher profitibility of the iPhone data plans over data plans on the USB and MiFi.

When you have a limited resource, you sell it for the highest price possible!

There is no exclusivity with Verizon, Sprint also markets the 2200 device. 

I suspect that the decision by AT&T not to handle the MiFi is based on limited bandwidth, and the higher profitibility of the iPhone data plans over data plans on the USB and MiFi.

When you have a limited resource, you sell it for the highest price possible!

17 of 19 (4,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2010 12:25:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have a MiFi and wish that AT&T's system wasn't as big of a pain as it is.  Our accounts were grandfathered in with the unlimited plans but AT&T is telling me that if I stick my SIM card in my MiFi that I will lose my unlimited plan.  

Seriously, how screwed up is that?  IMHO, AT&T tries to screw their customer base every chance they get.  I do NOT want to pay for a completely separate plan for my MiFi but I am afraid that is what I'm going to have to do.  

I have a MiFi and wish that AT&T's system wasn't as big of a pain as it is.  Our accounts were grandfathered in with the unlimited plans but AT&T is telling me that if I stick my SIM card in my MiFi that I will lose my unlimited plan.  

Seriously, how screwed up is that?  IMHO, AT&T tries to screw their customer base every chance they get.  I do NOT want to pay for a completely separate plan for my MiFi but I am afraid that is what I'm going to have to do.  

18 of 19 (3,791 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2010 4:37:16 PM
(0)
Mentor

Kandlelight wrote:

Hmmm . . . . . that is the first I have heard of such a thing.  It is possible, since the MiFi transmits a unique IMEI, that AT&T may have those loaded (or the range of numbers) to flag if they are used with a SIM on the old plan.  It seems like kind of a stretch though, a lot of work to watch for something that would be pretty rare. 

If you think they are serious, you can likely use your existing USB modem with one of the Cradlepoint routers, not anywhere near as small, but end result is about the same but with 4 times the Wifi range.  Since the IMEI on AT&T's system remains the same, they would have no way of telling you are using a router. 

If you need the battery, look at the PHS300, it will run 2+ hours without power, and there is a 12v car cord availble.  Like the MiFi, it has no ethernet connectivity.

If the battery is not important, perhaps the CTR500 which has wifi and an ethernet port, or even the CTR350 which is under $100 but cannot support future 4G modems.   There are also several N-Band routers available, many with integrated 4 port ethernet hubs.   Here is an article about choosing a router which may help. 

Be careful though, if you abuse the privilege, they are still likely to come back again and tell you that the unlimited plan is NLA!  

HTH

Kandlelight wrote:

Hmmm . . . . . that is the first I have heard of such a thing.  It is possible, since the MiFi transmits a unique IMEI, that AT&T may have those loaded (or the range of numbers) to flag if they are used with a SIM on the old plan.  It seems like kind of a stretch though, a lot of work to watch for something that would be pretty rare. 

If you think they are serious, you can likely use your existing USB modem with one of the Cradlepoint routers, not anywhere near as small, but end result is about the same but with 4 times the Wifi range.  Since the IMEI on AT&T's system remains the same, they would have no way of telling you are using a router. 

If you need the battery, look at the PHS300, it will run 2+ hours without power, and there is a 12v car cord availble.  Like the MiFi, it has no ethernet connectivity.

If the battery is not important, perhaps the CTR500 which has wifi and an ethernet port, or even the CTR350 which is under $100 but cannot support future 4G modems.   There are also several N-Band routers available, many with integrated 4 port ethernet hubs.   Here is an article about choosing a router which may help. 

Be careful though, if you abuse the privilege, they are still likely to come back again and tell you that the unlimited plan is NLA!  

HTH

19 of 19 (3,744 Views)