Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 5, 2010
4:07:29 PM
View profile
Not sure what to do..
Edited by Snow_Fox on Jun 5, 2010 at 4:08:51 PM

I want a nexus one..

I really have no desire to pay 30$ a month for unlimited data..

However, with the new plans rolling out 15$ for 200 mb and 25$ for 2 gigs.. it almost seems like it is worth it to hop on the 30$ plan..

I kinda feel like it is a lose lose situation though because, ultimately the 15$ plan is what I want.. but, I don't know if the n1 would use too much data even all I use is wifi.. I'm scared it will be too easy to go over 200 mb...

All of this is assuming the one whom the bills name is in would let me do it..

Is anyone else in this situation? I know a lot of people only have till tommarrow to make a choice.. and are hesitant on what to do.. 

I want a nexus one..

I really have no desire to pay 30$ a month for unlimited data..

However, with the new plans rolling out 15$ for 200 mb and 25$ for 2 gigs.. it almost seems like it is worth it to hop on the 30$ plan..

I kinda feel like it is a lose lose situation though because, ultimately the 15$ plan is what I want.. but, I don't know if the n1 would use too much data even all I use is wifi.. I'm scared it will be too easy to go over 200 mb...

All of this is assuming the one whom the bills name is in would let me do it..

Is anyone else in this situation? I know a lot of people only have till tommarrow to make a choice.. and are hesitant on what to do.. 

Not sure what to do..

[ Edited ]
14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 7:47:26 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well really, one of the nicer things about the new plans is that you can retroactively add the other plan. (And honestly, unless you plan to constantly stream media, you won't go over 2 GB.)

Also, AT&T will text you before you go over.... and then if you decide to go for the 2GB after a few weeks, just call them up or wait for your bill and call, then they'll retroactively put the other plan on.

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.. this is the gist I got from reading about the new plans.)

Well really, one of the nicer things about the new plans is that you can retroactively add the other plan. (And honestly, unless you plan to constantly stream media, you won't go over 2 GB.)

Also, AT&T will text you before you go over.... and then if you decide to go for the 2GB after a few weeks, just call them up or wait for your bill and call, then they'll retroactively put the other plan on.

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.. this is the gist I got from reading about the new plans.)

Re: Not sure what to do..

2 of 15 (1,865 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 8:08:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

While that is true.. I am not too worried about going over 2 gb bandwidth..

Its more along the lines of chosing between 200 mb and 2 gigs..

my parents do pay the bill.. I could probably get by convincing them to pay the 15$ a month deal.. but, the 25$ I doubt they would go for..

I may or may not be able to afford paying it myself..

However, I will feel horribly ripped off everytime I think about the 10$ unlimited data which isn't being affected on dumb phones.... and they have the ability to use more data for less... 

And 200 mb.. is very restrictive.. 

While that is true.. I am not too worried about going over 2 gb bandwidth..

Its more along the lines of chosing between 200 mb and 2 gigs..

my parents do pay the bill.. I could probably get by convincing them to pay the 15$ a month deal.. but, the 25$ I doubt they would go for..

I may or may not be able to afford paying it myself..

However, I will feel horribly ripped off everytime I think about the 10$ unlimited data which isn't being affected on dumb phones.... and they have the ability to use more data for less... 

And 200 mb.. is very restrictive.. 

3 of 15 (1,860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 9:32:04 PM
(0)
Guru

i have unlimited data on my nexus one
i honestly swear that that phone uses more data that ever
i dont think that 200mb would be a good idea but idk

i have unlimited data on my nexus one
i honestly swear that that phone uses more data that ever
i dont think that 200mb would be a good idea but idk

4 of 15 (1,847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 10:45:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

that is the problem...

I could probably talk them into getting the 200 mb deal

With that said..it seems like a bad idea to get a phone I can't fully enjoy and I will be stuck wanting to all day every day Smiley Sad

that is the problem...

I could probably talk them into getting the 200 mb deal

With that said..it seems like a bad idea to get a phone I can't fully enjoy and I will be stuck wanting to all day every day Smiley Sad

5 of 15 (1,831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 7:00:31 AM
(0)
Scholar

Option One:  Quit school, get a job and pay for your own phone and usage.

Option Two:  Convince your parents to go for the 2gig deal, and assure them that by doing so, you will be able to use the phone/data to improve your grades (probably not).  "And gee Dad, I'll pay the extra $10 each month out of my.......then stiff 'em for the $10 bucks.

Option Three:  Wait until you can afford it on your own.

Option One:  Quit school, get a job and pay for your own phone and usage.

Option Two:  Convince your parents to go for the 2gig deal, and assure them that by doing so, you will be able to use the phone/data to improve your grades (probably not).  "And gee Dad, I'll pay the extra $10 each month out of my.......then stiff 'em for the $10 bucks.

Option Three:  Wait until you can afford it on your own.

6 of 15 (1,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 10:40:24 AM
(0)
Mentor

I already have a job and can't find another that is going to pay more.. so option one is gone..

It would be more than 10$ i'd be stiffing them for.. and no way they would let 30$ a month slide..

SO it looks like I have to wait.. x.x 

Although realistically, I must admit ease of use on campus was part of the reason I wanted one in the first place.. 

I only hope I don't look back and regret not getting on the 30$ a month unlimited.

I already have a job and can't find another that is going to pay more.. so option one is gone..

It would be more than 10$ i'd be stiffing them for.. and no way they would let 30$ a month slide..

SO it looks like I have to wait.. x.x 

Although realistically, I must admit ease of use on campus was part of the reason I wanted one in the first place.. 

I only hope I don't look back and regret not getting on the 30$ a month unlimited.

7 of 15 (1,785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 2:27:53 PM
(0)
Scholar

Having looked at the plans, it really seems similar to the text message plans. The cheapest doesn't offer much, and the discrepency between that and the next plan up is nearly night and day. Guess it would be too easy to give 1G at $15, not enough encentive to add the higher plan. Amazing how many posts, all over the web, are negative and remarking how ATT is going down the wrong path.....

Having looked at the plans, it really seems similar to the text message plans. The cheapest doesn't offer much, and the discrepency between that and the next plan up is nearly night and day. Guess it would be too easy to give 1G at $15, not enough encentive to add the higher plan. Amazing how many posts, all over the web, are negative and remarking how ATT is going down the wrong path.....

8 of 15 (1,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 4:09:27 PM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

Well then Verizon may be going down that same path very soon, monkey see monkey doo.... Analysts see Verizon following AT&T's move to cut unlimited data - http://bit.ly/ayjvYc

diagoro wrote:

Well then Verizon may be going down that same path very soon, monkey see monkey doo.... Analysts see Verizon following AT&T's move to cut unlimited data - http://bit.ly/ayjvYc

9 of 15 (1,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 6:31:08 PM
(0)
Mentor

I actually read verizon discussing possibly eliminating unlimited wireless before at&t.. at&t beat verizon to the punch...

I actually read verizon discussing possibly eliminating unlimited wireless before at&t.. at&t beat verizon to the punch...

10 of 15 (1,727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 6:52:17 PM
(0)
Professor

Snow_Fox wrote:

Does your school offer Wi-Fi on campus?  If so, you maybe be able to easily stay under the 200mb plan limit every month.  Using Wi-Fi (in my opinion) is always preferred to cellular data as Wi-Fi is typically faster.

Snow_Fox wrote:

Does your school offer Wi-Fi on campus?  If so, you maybe be able to easily stay under the 200mb plan limit every month.  Using Wi-Fi (in my opinion) is always preferred to cellular data as Wi-Fi is typically faster.

11 of 15 (1,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 9:16:36 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Impulses on Jun 6, 2010 at 9:21:06 PM

If you use WiFi whenever it's available (faster and less of a battery drainer anyway) and you just use the 3G connection for occasional web browsing, e-mail, and some Google Maps directions you should have no trouble remaining under 200MB a month imo. You'll also get several warning text messages when you're at 60% and 90% I think (possibly somewhere in between as well).

It's not very hard to go past 200MB (or even 2GB) of data use a month on a smartphone, but you have to be doing way more advanced or data hungry stuff in order to accomplish that... Stuff that would qualify would be constant music streaming (Pandora, Last.FM, etc), video streaming, video chat, remote desktop connections, data sync services (Dropbox), etc. Tethering unofficially to your netbook or laptop would also get ya past that 2GB cap fairly quickly.

If you can avoid partaking in those activities while using the 3G connection you should be fine. You can always shut off the 3G connection when you get near the data limit as well. It all comes down to your personal use of the device.

That being said, if you're ready to buy the N1 right now you might as well just go for the $30 data plan and then downgrade at a later date if you find that your usage would fit within either the $15 or $25 plan, nothing to it, you should be free to switch at any given time. If you wanna wait it out to see what other phones AT&T might release then I guess that's another story and you have to weigh it all a bit more carefully. I can understand why you'd opt to do so, even tho the N1 is a great phone (and will be the first to get Froyo w/tethering built in, heh).

The $10-15 dumb phone data plans will probably be shackled by caps eventually... Then again, who knows, I've used upwards of 600MB a month easily w/my cheap Sony Ericsson W580i, tethered to my netbook over Bluetooth; didn't even have to unlock or unbrand it to do so, the app is built right into the phone and the software is free to download off Sony's site. I'm actually shocked AT&T left that enabled in the firmware for anyone to use.

Personally, I'm a pretty heavy user and I see myself doing more and more things w/my phone in the future, I wouldn't be happy even w/the 2GB plan... But I'm leaving AT&T tomorrow anyway (once my EVO arrives, UPS man can't get here fast enough!).

If you use WiFi whenever it's available (faster and less of a battery drainer anyway) and you just use the 3G connection for occasional web browsing, e-mail, and some Google Maps directions you should have no trouble remaining under 200MB a month imo. You'll also get several warning text messages when you're at 60% and 90% I think (possibly somewhere in between as well).

It's not very hard to go past 200MB (or even 2GB) of data use a month on a smartphone, but you have to be doing way more advanced or data hungry stuff in order to accomplish that... Stuff that would qualify would be constant music streaming (Pandora, Last.FM, etc), video streaming, video chat, remote desktop connections, data sync services (Dropbox), etc. Tethering unofficially to your netbook or laptop would also get ya past that 2GB cap fairly quickly.

If you can avoid partaking in those activities while using the 3G connection you should be fine. You can always shut off the 3G connection when you get near the data limit as well. It all comes down to your personal use of the device.

That being said, if you're ready to buy the N1 right now you might as well just go for the $30 data plan and then downgrade at a later date if you find that your usage would fit within either the $15 or $25 plan, nothing to it, you should be free to switch at any given time. If you wanna wait it out to see what other phones AT&T might release then I guess that's another story and you have to weigh it all a bit more carefully. I can understand why you'd opt to do so, even tho the N1 is a great phone (and will be the first to get Froyo w/tethering built in, heh).

The $10-15 dumb phone data plans will probably be shackled by caps eventually... Then again, who knows, I've used upwards of 600MB a month easily w/my cheap Sony Ericsson W580i, tethered to my netbook over Bluetooth; didn't even have to unlock or unbrand it to do so, the app is built right into the phone and the software is free to download off Sony's site. I'm actually shocked AT&T left that enabled in the firmware for anyone to use.

Personally, I'm a pretty heavy user and I see myself doing more and more things w/my phone in the future, I wouldn't be happy even w/the 2GB plan... But I'm leaving AT&T tomorrow anyway (once my EVO arrives, UPS man can't get here fast enough!).

[ Edited ]
12 of 15 (1,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 9:26:15 PM
(0)
Scholar

FWIW, I don't even think I ever came close to 100MB on my dumb phone before I started tethering (at which point 500MB was easy)... And I checked half a dozen sites on it 2-3 times a day as well as e-mail and whatnot. It IS a non-3G dumb phone tho, but one thing that helped was using Opera Mini and you can do that too on the N1.

It's a pretty solid browser (available on Android as well, the bookmark synching in particular is noteworthy) and the standout feature in your case would be the fact that OM downloads and compresses all data on their servers before rendering it on your phone... That makes it faster at times, and it also means it uses less data. Just putting it out there as one more thing you could do to minimize data use.

You could still keep the stock browser installed (or any other browser) for use when you're on a WiFi connection or if you wanna take advantage of Flash in the future, etc. That's the beauty of Android, you can use your device as you see fit, you don't have to adopt some grand desig vision from uncle Steve or whomever. Smiley Wink

FWIW, I don't even think I ever came close to 100MB on my dumb phone before I started tethering (at which point 500MB was easy)... And I checked half a dozen sites on it 2-3 times a day as well as e-mail and whatnot. It IS a non-3G dumb phone tho, but one thing that helped was using Opera Mini and you can do that too on the N1.

It's a pretty solid browser (available on Android as well, the bookmark synching in particular is noteworthy) and the standout feature in your case would be the fact that OM downloads and compresses all data on their servers before rendering it on your phone... That makes it faster at times, and it also means it uses less data. Just putting it out there as one more thing you could do to minimize data use.

You could still keep the stock browser installed (or any other browser) for use when you're on a WiFi connection or if you wanna take advantage of Flash in the future, etc. That's the beauty of Android, you can use your device as you see fit, you don't have to adopt some grand desig vision from uncle Steve or whomever. Smiley Wink

13 of 15 (1,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 10:47:14 PM
(0)
Guru

how bad do u want an N1?

how bad do u want an N1?

14 of 15 (1,145 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 11:11:00 PM
(0)
Scholar

BTW, just in case it isn't obvious, you'll be able to monitor your data use every month on your bill as well as online (day to day, altho the info is not always up to date to the very last minute but it's certainly usable), and you can even keep track of it on the phone itself... So any notion that the phone will by itself decide to use an ungodly amount of data and it'll be completely impossible to rein in is pretty inaccurate.

Furthermore, while we're talking about the N1 specifically... A LOT of people have been able to get their Nexus One to operate with one of the $10-15 MediaNet data plans meant for smartphones ($10 or 15 depending on whether you're on a Family Plan or not, so in your case it'd be $10 I think). It seems that most of the people that simply buy it and try to get it registered w/AT&T over the phone get bumped into the cheaper plans because the phone reps can't get the IMEI recognized in their system.

Original reports stated that as soon as you bought the phone and transferred the SIM card the network would read the IMEI off the device and the N1's IMEI had been the first (and only) IMEI of an unlocked phone to be entered in AT&T's database, but that doesn't seem to be the case, or maybe it's true only in certain regions. Either way, if you only plan on being a poor college student for a few more years it's certainly worth looking into or taking the gamble. Again, the MediaNet/dumb phone plans may eventually get shackled by data caps as well, but as of now you could easily get away with a $10 unlimited data plan on a Nexus One regardless of AT&T's official stance on smartphones and data plans (see the Desire thread for more info and several testimonials, don't take my word for it, or check some of the Android boards).

Heck after Froyo is officially released you could be looking at $10 for unlimited data AND tethering, since AT&T has no say whatsoever on what goes into the N1's ROM, and probably doesn't care enough about what the relative minority of N1 users do in order to implement some custom filtering mechanism to sniff out and prevent tethering.

Truth be told, if I wasn't switching to Sprint tomorrow I'd have bought the N1 last week to try and get it on a cheap data plan, or on the $30 unlimited plan if not (before it goes the way of the dodo)... But I have no major issues w/paying $30/month for unlimited data if I HAVE to (I do have a problem w/$25 for a paltry 2GB, even tho I think $15 for 200MB is reasonable, should be $10 tho). That would still give me a couple of weeks to change my mind (and eat a $45 restocking fee on the N1), if AT&T were to release a better phone. That's just me tho...

Before I started looking at the EVO and other carrier options I was really really close to ordering a N1. Despite a couple of flaws that have been resolved in newer HTC models like the Inc/EVO (along w/a few other improvements), it's still a heck of a phone and I'd be super excited to get Froyo (Android 2.2) on it ASAP. The inferior touch sensor is only an issue w/a select few games that have multi-touch gestures, and everything else you might complain about is relatively minor, multi-color trackball alerts make up for the few of the other complaints IMO, heh.

I'm not sure from how many other angles you could look at this decision, hopefully some of my info or rationale helps ya.

BTW, just in case it isn't obvious, you'll be able to monitor your data use every month on your bill as well as online (day to day, altho the info is not always up to date to the very last minute but it's certainly usable), and you can even keep track of it on the phone itself... So any notion that the phone will by itself decide to use an ungodly amount of data and it'll be completely impossible to rein in is pretty inaccurate.

Furthermore, while we're talking about the N1 specifically... A LOT of people have been able to get their Nexus One to operate with one of the $10-15 MediaNet data plans meant for smartphones ($10 or 15 depending on whether you're on a Family Plan or not, so in your case it'd be $10 I think). It seems that most of the people that simply buy it and try to get it registered w/AT&T over the phone get bumped into the cheaper plans because the phone reps can't get the IMEI recognized in their system.

Original reports stated that as soon as you bought the phone and transferred the SIM card the network would read the IMEI off the device and the N1's IMEI had been the first (and only) IMEI of an unlocked phone to be entered in AT&T's database, but that doesn't seem to be the case, or maybe it's true only in certain regions. Either way, if you only plan on being a poor college student for a few more years it's certainly worth looking into or taking the gamble. Again, the MediaNet/dumb phone plans may eventually get shackled by data caps as well, but as of now you could easily get away with a $10 unlimited data plan on a Nexus One regardless of AT&T's official stance on smartphones and data plans (see the Desire thread for more info and several testimonials, don't take my word for it, or check some of the Android boards).

Heck after Froyo is officially released you could be looking at $10 for unlimited data AND tethering, since AT&T has no say whatsoever on what goes into the N1's ROM, and probably doesn't care enough about what the relative minority of N1 users do in order to implement some custom filtering mechanism to sniff out and prevent tethering.

Truth be told, if I wasn't switching to Sprint tomorrow I'd have bought the N1 last week to try and get it on a cheap data plan, or on the $30 unlimited plan if not (before it goes the way of the dodo)... But I have no major issues w/paying $30/month for unlimited data if I HAVE to (I do have a problem w/$25 for a paltry 2GB, even tho I think $15 for 200MB is reasonable, should be $10 tho). That would still give me a couple of weeks to change my mind (and eat a $45 restocking fee on the N1), if AT&T were to release a better phone. That's just me tho...

Before I started looking at the EVO and other carrier options I was really really close to ordering a N1. Despite a couple of flaws that have been resolved in newer HTC models like the Inc/EVO (along w/a few other improvements), it's still a heck of a phone and I'd be super excited to get Froyo (Android 2.2) on it ASAP. The inferior touch sensor is only an issue w/a select few games that have multi-touch gestures, and everything else you might complain about is relatively minor, multi-color trackball alerts make up for the few of the other complaints IMO, heh.

I'm not sure from how many other angles you could look at this decision, hopefully some of my info or rationale helps ya.

15 of 15 (1,143 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments