Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 13, 2011
6:09:59 AM
View profile
Not buying from AT&T stores ever again
Edited by akwalker on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:29:28 AM

I was so excited about the release of the Samsung Infuse that I ran out to the closest AT&T store (where I've been going for years) and bought it. Now that I've had it almost 30 days, I see it at Amazon and Costco for $129.99, $70 LESS than I paid.

They somehow managed to turn off my voicemail when I upgraded. I have an unlimited data data plan so how and why did they cancel my voicemail? I didn't realize it for several days and I had to contact customer service twice to get it turned back on. I also had to exchange the phone because I wasn't able to get a GPS lock and the battery drained in about 6 hours

I suppose it was stupid of me not to wait and check around for pricing but now that I know, I WILL NEVER buy directly from an AT&T store again. I'll shop elsewhere. I am seriously considering returning the phone and buying it elsewhere just on principle. This whole experience has been a disaster. The fact that I paid $70 more than I needed to really makes it more annoying.

I was so excited about the release of the Samsung Infuse that I ran out to the closest AT&T store (where I've been going for years) and bought it. Now that I've had it almost 30 days, I see it at Amazon and Costco for $129.99, $70 LESS than I paid.

They somehow managed to turn off my voicemail when I upgraded. I have an unlimited data data plan so how and why did they cancel my voicemail? I didn't realize it for several days and I had to contact customer service twice to get it turned back on. I also had to exchange the phone because I wasn't able to get a GPS lock and the battery drained in about 6 hours

I suppose it was stupid of me not to wait and check around for pricing but now that I know, I WILL NEVER buy directly from an AT&T store again. I'll shop elsewhere. I am seriously considering returning the phone and buying it elsewhere just on principle. This whole experience has been a disaster. The fact that I paid $70 more than I needed to really makes it more annoying.

Not buying from AT&T stores ever again

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2011 1:12:48 PM
(0)
Scholar
I definitely check the pricing of any device before i go out and buy.
I definitely check the pricing of any device before i go out and buy.

Re: Not buying from AT&T stores ever again

2 of 8 (393 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2011 3:03:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

akwalker wrote:

Now that I've had it almost 30 DAYS, I see it at Amazon and Costco for $129.99, $70 LESS than I paid.

If you've had the phone for close to 30 days, I would definitely expect the price of the phone to be lowered by other non-AT&T retailers. The price was probably $199.99 once upon a time when Costco and Amazon offered it. They probably lowered it to beat out the competition. I personally would prefer going to an AT&T store rather than some other retailer. While in the store, the employees have access to your account and are more professionally knowledgeable, I would say. I'm not going to get too upset for something I could have got a bit cheaper somewhere else. But when I think about it, I would be upset if I paid $70 more for a phone that had to be exchanged anyway... Smiley Indifferent

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

akwalker wrote:

Now that I've had it almost 30 DAYS, I see it at Amazon and Costco for $129.99, $70 LESS than I paid.

If you've had the phone for close to 30 days, I would definitely expect the price of the phone to be lowered by other non-AT&T retailers. The price was probably $199.99 once upon a time when Costco and Amazon offered it. They probably lowered it to beat out the competition. I personally would prefer going to an AT&T store rather than some other retailer. While in the store, the employees have access to your account and are more professionally knowledgeable, I would say. I'm not going to get too upset for something I could have got a bit cheaper somewhere else. But when I think about it, I would be upset if I paid $70 more for a phone that had to be exchanged anyway... Smiley Indifferent

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 8 (371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2011 3:58:37 AM
(0)
Professor

Also, the latest buzz is that AT&T is cancelling 3rd party sales of att phones, meaning the only place we will be getting any att devices will be at ATT.com, att stores or store locations that ATT will announce .  But 3rd parties like Wirefly (i dont know anyone who'se ever ordered from them anyway) and the like will discontinue selling att phones at a cut rate.

I dont know how this will effec Amazon later as they are one big att seller.

Also, the latest buzz is that AT&T is cancelling 3rd party sales of att phones, meaning the only place we will be getting any att devices will be at ATT.com, att stores or store locations that ATT will announce .  But 3rd parties like Wirefly (i dont know anyone who'se ever ordered from them anyway) and the like will discontinue selling att phones at a cut rate.

I dont know how this will effec Amazon later as they are one big att seller.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

4 of 8 (329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2011 6:40:35 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by kwinston on Jun 16, 2011 at 7:33:14 AM

How is any of this the fault of the store?

1) The price is set by AT&T. not the individual store. And like it was said. third party sellers sell it for less or month or so later. Happens with all phones, except the Iphone.  You could not wait for the new phone, so you paid the top price for it.  If you wait, in many cases just a month or so, the phone will be discounted, even at the AT&T store.

2) The voicemail thing sounds like a system messup on AT&T. I doubt the person waiting on you decided to cancel your voicemail.  I make all of my changes to my service onliine and in the past I have made changes that never did go through, even though the website confirmed my changes. Smiley Happy  Quirky things do happen when it comes to change, as in your case a change in phones.

3) the phone issues (GPS lock and the battery) are either an issue with the phone or in the case of the battery an issue with the phone or your fault. Did you wireless on. bluetooth on. gps on etc..... all of that drains the battery much quicker. None of this is the fault of the store.  do research and read reviews of the phones before you buy.

How is any of this the fault of the store?

1) The price is set by AT&T. not the individual store. And like it was said. third party sellers sell it for less or month or so later. Happens with all phones, except the Iphone.  You could not wait for the new phone, so you paid the top price for it.  If you wait, in many cases just a month or so, the phone will be discounted, even at the AT&T store.

2) The voicemail thing sounds like a system messup on AT&T. I doubt the person waiting on you decided to cancel your voicemail.  I make all of my changes to my service onliine and in the past I have made changes that never did go through, even though the website confirmed my changes. Smiley Happy  Quirky things do happen when it comes to change, as in your case a change in phones.

3) the phone issues (GPS lock and the battery) are either an issue with the phone or in the case of the battery an issue with the phone or your fault. Did you wireless on. bluetooth on. gps on etc..... all of that drains the battery much quicker. None of this is the fault of the store.  do research and read reviews of the phones before you buy.

[ Edited ]
5 of 8 (321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2011 7:05:25 AM
(0)
Professor
any change in service need to be taken up with AT&T. Maybe a store processed your paperwork incorrectly, but, if its an existing account and att sees a discrepancy in the order submitted and your actual services, the order gets put on hold until you call att to verify. Just have to stay ontop of your plan and features.
any change in service need to be taken up with AT&T. Maybe a store processed your paperwork incorrectly, but, if its an existing account and att sees a discrepancy in the order submitted and your actual services, the order gets put on hold until you call att to verify. Just have to stay ontop of your plan and features.

6 of 8 (317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2011 7:11:40 AM
(0)
Scholar

The flipside of all of this is that if the phone screws up, you can't just take your phone back to AT&T and get another one. I got a phone at Walmart and it turned out the gps was screwed up. So I took it back. They refunded my money but there is a 2 day wait before they release your eliginbility for a new device.

The flipside of all of this is that if the phone screws up, you can't just take your phone back to AT&T and get another one. I got a phone at Walmart and it turned out the gps was screwed up. So I took it back. They refunded my money but there is a 2 day wait before they release your eliginbility for a new device.

7 of 8 (313 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2011 8:16:03 AM
(0)
Professor
Exactly. Thats the catch.
Exactly. Thats the catch.