Posted Dec 9, 2007
10:31:47 PM
View profile
Not Receiving Texts
Hey, I've been hearing from some of my friends that "I texted you a few days ago.. did you get it?" and I check my inbox and their messages are no where to be found.  I have enough space for them, I even receive texts from certain people, but I have at least 3 people who for some reason can't send me a message. 

Could it be they're on a different plan and that's messing it up?  They also can receive texts I send, just not the other way around..
Hey, I've been hearing from some of my friends that "I texted you a few days ago.. did you get it?" and I check my inbox and their messages are no where to be found.  I have enough space for them, I even receive texts from certain people, but I have at least 3 people who for some reason can't send me a message. 

Could it be they're on a different plan and that's messing it up?  They also can receive texts I send, just not the other way around..

Not Receiving Texts

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2007 7:29:28 PM
(0)
Teacher
ive been having the same problem.
ive been having the same problem.

Re: Not Receiving Texts

2 of 20 (16,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2007 3:01:33 PM
(0)
Contributor
Same as me!!:smileymad:
Same as me!!:smileymad:

3 of 20 (15,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2008 8:39:41 PM
(0)
Contributor
yea im having the same problem so far everyone who can text me has at&t so obviously its a problem with at&t, they need to do something about this, its really making me mad
yea im having the same problem so far everyone who can text me has at&t so obviously its a problem with at&t, they need to do something about this, its really making me mad

4 of 20 (15,766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2008 11:50:56 AM
(0)
Expert

mtor82 wrote:
     Yea im having the same problem so far everyone who can text me has at&t so obviously its a problem with at&t, they need to do something about this, its really making me mad

What did customer care say when you called them about this issue......

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

mtor82 wrote:
     Yea im having the same problem so far everyone who can text me has at&t so obviously its a problem with at&t, they need to do something about this, its really making me mad

What did customer care say when you called them about this issue......

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

5 of 20 (15,742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2008 6:00:02 PM
(0)
Tutor
Did you ever get this resolved?
Did you ever get this resolved?

6 of 20 (15,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2008 9:41:18 AM
(0)
Tutor
Maybe those people do not have text-messaging activated on their phones.  Before I subscribed to texting, no one would get the texts I sent.
Maybe those people do not have text-messaging activated on their phones.  Before I subscribed to texting, no one would get the texts I sent.

7 of 20 (15,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2008 12:34:47 PM
(0)
Contributor
I also have this problem It has happened with ATT and non ATT friends alike and I am very frustrated when I hear that someone texted me and I never got it. I often text others and they don't recieve my texts. The same users will get or send me texts other times with no apparent problems. My big questio is what happens to those myterious dissappearing texts cause they say sent on my phone. Am i getting charged for them? why doesn't ATT monitor these forums and answer our questions?

Kinda upset that I just renewed my contract-
I also have this problem It has happened with ATT and non ATT friends alike and I am very frustrated when I hear that someone texted me and I never got it. I often text others and they don't recieve my texts. The same users will get or send me texts other times with no apparent problems. My big questio is what happens to those myterious dissappearing texts cause they say sent on my phone. Am i getting charged for them? why doesn't ATT monitor these forums and answer our questions?

Kinda upset that I just renewed my contract-

8 of 20 (15,399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2008 6:03:59 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have been having similar issues:

I can send but cannot receive texts to one specific other AT&T user.  I have gone online three times and no one can resolve this issue for me.  The latest person told me it's on his end.  I had all my numbers checked and everything is kosher on this end.

It all started a couple of weeks ago.  I downloaded a couple of games and bam, my phone went black.  Had to take the battery out and restart.  I was told there is no real chance that I could have downloaded a virus.  All three reps I chatted with said this was highly unlikely.

The number of the person I'm not getting texts from is the only number I'm having this problem with.  I have restarted it several times a day now hoping that I will get these texts.  Up until a few days ago, I would get them dumped into my phone at one time.  For three days I have not received anything from him now even though he still replies to mine.  This is the person I have texted hundreds of times a month for the last 7 months and have never had a problem with before. 

I moved from MD to GA and thought this may be an issue, although I moved in Nov of last year and everything was working fine up until recently.  The reps said this is not an issue because the text number is nationwide.

We both have unlimited M2M texting.

He gets mine as soon as I send them, I get nothing in return.  My sisters and friends get mine as well and I get their replies immediately.

He says he is having no issue with anyone else as well.  Other then me not getting his texts, things are normal.

Did AT&T do something in the last few weeks to their wireless system, possibly an upgrade that could be causing this?  He's the reason why I got unlimited and I am tired of the online folks not having a clue. 

I wonder if they are somehow limiting the unlimited texts we are able to send.  He is the main person I text.  I may text 30 other msg's a month to others, at the most, and it seems like I've been cut off.

Any input into this would be of great value to me.  Thank you.
I have been having similar issues:

I can send but cannot receive texts to one specific other AT&T user.  I have gone online three times and no one can resolve this issue for me.  The latest person told me it's on his end.  I had all my numbers checked and everything is kosher on this end.

It all started a couple of weeks ago.  I downloaded a couple of games and bam, my phone went black.  Had to take the battery out and restart.  I was told there is no real chance that I could have downloaded a virus.  All three reps I chatted with said this was highly unlikely.

The number of the person I'm not getting texts from is the only number I'm having this problem with.  I have restarted it several times a day now hoping that I will get these texts.  Up until a few days ago, I would get them dumped into my phone at one time.  For three days I have not received anything from him now even though he still replies to mine.  This is the person I have texted hundreds of times a month for the last 7 months and have never had a problem with before. 

I moved from MD to GA and thought this may be an issue, although I moved in Nov of last year and everything was working fine up until recently.  The reps said this is not an issue because the text number is nationwide.

We both have unlimited M2M texting.

He gets mine as soon as I send them, I get nothing in return.  My sisters and friends get mine as well and I get their replies immediately.

He says he is having no issue with anyone else as well.  Other then me not getting his texts, things are normal.

Did AT&T do something in the last few weeks to their wireless system, possibly an upgrade that could be causing this?  He's the reason why I got unlimited and I am tired of the online folks not having a clue. 

I wonder if they are somehow limiting the unlimited texts we are able to send.  He is the main person I text.  I may text 30 other msg's a month to others, at the most, and it seems like I've been cut off.

Any input into this would be of great value to me.  Thank you.

9 of 20 (15,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2008 10:26:43 PM
(0)
Contributor
This same problem has been happening to me.  I do not have a texting plan.  I pay as I text.  So far, my friends all receive my texts, but I do not receive many of theirs.  I believe the ones that I do not receive are on plans other than AT&T.  It is very frustrating and annoying.  I wonder when a solution will be solved.
This same problem has been happening to me.  I do not have a texting plan.  I pay as I text.  So far, my friends all receive my texts, but I do not receive many of theirs.  I believe the ones that I do not receive are on plans other than AT&T.  It is very frustrating and annoying.  I wonder when a solution will be solved.

10 of 20 (15,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2008 11:24:53 AM
(0)
Master
Have you called customer service? They should be able to help you resolve this.

ladyluck102791 wrote:

Have you called customer service? They should be able to help you resolve this.

ladyluck102791 wrote:

Posted from my Samsung Captivate

11 of 20 (9,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2008 9:08:28 AM
(0)
Contributor
I am having the same problem.  I can send text messages to anyone, but I can only receive them from AT&T customers.  I have had AT&T service for almost a year (with data and text service) and have been trying to get this fixed with customer service from the start.  I was on the phone with them for over 2 hours last night again, at that point they said it was a problem with the inter-carrier routing.  They stated that they had updated all the information, but it would not update in the inter-carrier routing system until after midnight (it would work just fine after that).  Now this morning I have tried several times and I am still unable to receive text messages.  I tried turning off and on and I tried pulling the battery to reboot the phone.  At this point I am considering disconnecting the service and paying any fees required to do so.  I still have my old Alltel phone service that I have not disconnected so that I can still receive text messages, so it would be cheaper to pay the cacelation fees and just stick with Alltel.  I am sick of trying to deal with customer service just to continuously be blown off with excuses and promises that it is fixed.  Does anybody have any idea what could be the problem?  I have a Palm Treo 750 and I just recently updated to Windows Mobile 6 just see if that might help, but it changed nothing.
I am having the same problem.  I can send text messages to anyone, but I can only receive them from AT&T customers.  I have had AT&T service for almost a year (with data and text service) and have been trying to get this fixed with customer service from the start.  I was on the phone with them for over 2 hours last night again, at that point they said it was a problem with the inter-carrier routing.  They stated that they had updated all the information, but it would not update in the inter-carrier routing system until after midnight (it would work just fine after that).  Now this morning I have tried several times and I am still unable to receive text messages.  I tried turning off and on and I tried pulling the battery to reboot the phone.  At this point I am considering disconnecting the service and paying any fees required to do so.  I still have my old Alltel phone service that I have not disconnected so that I can still receive text messages, so it would be cheaper to pay the cacelation fees and just stick with Alltel.  I am sick of trying to deal with customer service just to continuously be blown off with excuses and promises that it is fixed.  Does anybody have any idea what could be the problem?  I have a Palm Treo 750 and I just recently updated to Windows Mobile 6 just see if that might help, but it changed nothing.

12 of 20 (9,792 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2008 12:59:23 PM
(0)
Contributor
I am  having the same problem but it only seems to happen when my phone is in a 3G area and it works just fine in an edge area
I am  having the same problem but it only seems to happen when my phone is in a 3G area and it works just fine in an edge area

13 of 20 (9,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2008 12:36:22 PM
(0)
Tutor
I spoke with five different customer service & people over a period of 2.5 hours (all of whom were sincerely trying to help me).  Eventually, I was given a case #.  Three days later, they sent me a text message to say that it was solved.  I had a few friends send me test messages and they didn't work.  I called and text-ed back to respond about my case.  They said it would remain  open and they wouldd continue to work on it.  Two days later, I received a message that it should be solved, and indeed it was.  This was resolved about three weeks after my  new service activation.
I spoke with five different customer service & people over a period of 2.5 hours (all of whom were sincerely trying to help me).  Eventually, I was given a case #.  Three days later, they sent me a text message to say that it was solved.  I had a few friends send me test messages and they didn't work.  I called and text-ed back to respond about my case.  They said it would remain  open and they wouldd continue to work on it.  Two days later, I received a message that it should be solved, and indeed it was.  This was resolved about three weeks after my  new service activation.

14 of 20 (9,712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2008 8:25:23 PM
(0)
Contributor
ive been having a problem with my txt messaging like one day it would be fine but then later all my messages that ive had on my phone all of the sudden they get erased by themselves and i didnt do anything and then later when someone is sendin me somethin i dont recieve it like it wud show me that i have a message but then the little icon would take off right away....why does it do that? cuz it has happened to me like 3 times now and i dont know wat to do??
ive been having a problem with my txt messaging like one day it would be fine but then later all my messages that ive had on my phone all of the sudden they get erased by themselves and i didnt do anything and then later when someone is sendin me somethin i dont recieve it like it wud show me that i have a message but then the little icon would take off right away....why does it do that? cuz it has happened to me like 3 times now and i dont know wat to do??

15 of 20 (9,700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2008 8:19:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
It will help others give you more tailored information if you'll enter your phone's make/model information in the "my device" field of your profile. :smileyhappy:

If you have a Motorola, they have an "auto cleanup" setting within the messaging setup.  Check that to make certain it is not turned on, or that you've specified acceptable parameters if you are going to use the feature.  Other manufacturers may use a similar feature.  This may explain your messages unexpectedly disappearing.

Are there actually unread messages in the inbox when your messaging notification symbol disappears?
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

It will help others give you more tailored information if you'll enter your phone's make/model information in the "my device" field of your profile. :smileyhappy:

If you have a Motorola, they have an "auto cleanup" setting within the messaging setup.  Check that to make certain it is not turned on, or that you've specified acceptable parameters if you are going to use the feature.  Other manufacturers may use a similar feature.  This may explain your messages unexpectedly disappearing.

Are there actually unread messages in the inbox when your messaging notification symbol disappears?
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 20 (9,679 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2008 10:19:01 AM
(0)
Contributor
I am having a problem with sending and receiving texts as well.  Up until yesterday (April 19), my texting service was working fine, but then all of a sudden I received errors when I tried to send texts, and incoming texts would appear on my phone hours after they were originally sent to me.  Now, I have a feeling that the messages I send are not being received because I have not received any texts in about 24 hours now, but I have sent out a few texts to people who I know reply within minutes.  This is really frustrating and I want to know if you all are still having the problem?  I have also noticed that every now and then when I try to make a call, the call will not connect and will get dropped, even when I'm in an area where I get the strongest cellular signal possible.

I have an Apple iPhone if that makes any difference.  What's going on with the ATT service?  It just seems like it crapped out all of a sudden!!
I am having a problem with sending and receiving texts as well.  Up until yesterday (April 19), my texting service was working fine, but then all of a sudden I received errors when I tried to send texts, and incoming texts would appear on my phone hours after they were originally sent to me.  Now, I have a feeling that the messages I send are not being received because I have not received any texts in about 24 hours now, but I have sent out a few texts to people who I know reply within minutes.  This is really frustrating and I want to know if you all are still having the problem?  I have also noticed that every now and then when I try to make a call, the call will not connect and will get dropped, even when I'm in an area where I get the strongest cellular signal possible.

I have an Apple iPhone if that makes any difference.  What's going on with the ATT service?  It just seems like it crapped out all of a sudden!!

17 of 20 (9,661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2008 3:45:24 PM
(0)
Contributor
Whoops,

I just posted for the first time and then saw this thread. I apologize for starting a new thread with the same topic.  In any case, I am having the same problem. At least I know I am not alone.  My son suggested I get my message service "refreshed" whatever that means.  I plan to call my local person and see if she can help.  If not, I guess I can call the national service and see what happens.

John
Whoops,

I just posted for the first time and then saw this thread. I apologize for starting a new thread with the same topic.  In any case, I am having the same problem. At least I know I am not alone.  My son suggested I get my message service "refreshed" whatever that means.  I plan to call my local person and see if she can help.  If not, I guess I can call the national service and see what happens.

John

18 of 20 (9,641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2008 12:21:06 PM
(0)
Contributor
Success! I was able to resolve my problem with the assistance of the local ATT store where I originally signed up for the service.  Apparently my messsaging plan was deleted for some reason that is not clear.  In any case, I got it re-started today and all is well.
Success! I was able to resolve my problem with the assistance of the local ATT store where I originally signed up for the service.  Apparently my messsaging plan was deleted for some reason that is not clear.  In any case, I got it re-started today and all is well.

19 of 20 (9,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2008 6:01:39 AM
(0)
Tutor
I was having a similar problem after i switched to att from sprint.  I went about 8 months with it just dealing with it until my wife decided to stay with her sprint.  I called att and sprint numerous times and they both put the blame on the other.  Finally att called verisign who owns the intercarrier platform used and they said messages from sprint were not hitting them to be sent out to me...that was my problem by the way.  I could not receive any text from sprint only.  Well,  I used my wifes acount and called sprint a million times and yelled a thousand times at them for being idi*ts...notice the number difference...the thousand is about how many times out of the million that i got to speak to somebody.  Finally, some little customer service rep looked into it and in 2 seconds noticed that my phone number was still in the sprint bulk messaging gateway as a sprint number even though it was an att..a day later it was fixed.  hope that help.
I was having a similar problem after i switched to att from sprint.  I went about 8 months with it just dealing with it until my wife decided to stay with her sprint.  I called att and sprint numerous times and they both put the blame on the other.  Finally att called verisign who owns the intercarrier platform used and they said messages from sprint were not hitting them to be sent out to me...that was my problem by the way.  I could not receive any text from sprint only.  Well,  I used my wifes acount and called sprint a million times and yelled a thousand times at them for being idi*ts...notice the number difference...the thousand is about how many times out of the million that i got to speak to somebody.  Finally, some little customer service rep looked into it and in 2 seconds noticed that my phone number was still in the sprint bulk messaging gateway as a sprint number even though it was an att..a day later it was fixed.  hope that help.

20 of 20 (9,138 Views)