Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 29, 2011
4:12:04 PM
View profile
Non data plan phone with Wi-Fi

I'm looking for a phone that doesn't require a data plan. I guess that means it can't be a smart phone. I'd like a phone that has WiFi and can browse the web and check email.

Any ideas? Is there even such a phone available in the US? I've looked briefly on the internet and can't find anything.

PS - I really dislike AT&T's policy about requiring a data plan for smart phones. If I legally buy someone's used phone, I should be able to use it on the carrier's network and only pay for the services I need. If I don't want data access when I'm away from wifi, why should I be required to pay for it?

I'm looking for a phone that doesn't require a data plan. I guess that means it can't be a smart phone. I'd like a phone that has WiFi and can browse the web and check email.

Any ideas? Is there even such a phone available in the US? I've looked briefly on the internet and can't find anything.

PS - I really dislike AT&T's policy about requiring a data plan for smart phones. If I legally buy someone's used phone, I should be able to use it on the carrier's network and only pay for the services I need. If I don't want data access when I'm away from wifi, why should I be required to pay for it?

Non data plan phone with Wi-Fi

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 5:31:45 PM
(0)
Master
The top carriers require a data plan with smart phones. If you do not like the policy, try a basic phone with a. iPod touch for web. That is the stage of wireless for now.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
The top carriers require a data plan with smart phones. If you do not like the policy, try a basic phone with a. iPod touch for web. That is the stage of wireless for now.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Non data plan phone with Wi-Fi

2 of 4 (656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 10:37:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Nope, unfortunately, there are not any feature phones that have Wi-Fi built in that do not require a data plan.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Nope, unfortunately, there are not any feature phones that have Wi-Fi built in that do not require a data plan.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 4 (645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2011 4:57:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If you are willing to spend the money for a non-branded phone, Nokia makes some that have WiFi and aren't considered to be smartphones by at&t (such as a non-branded C3-00 - it's not 3G, but if you don't want to use cellular data that may not be of major importance to you). 

Sony Ericsson may have some newer models as well - for ex., the C905i (it's older now) fit the bill (at&t just removed the Wifi access from their branded firmware on the C905a).

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

If you are willing to spend the money for a non-branded phone, Nokia makes some that have WiFi and aren't considered to be smartphones by at&t (such as a non-branded C3-00 - it's not 3G, but if you don't want to use cellular data that may not be of major importance to you). 

Sony Ericsson may have some newer models as well - for ex., the C905i (it's older now) fit the bill (at&t just removed the Wifi access from their branded firmware on the C905a).

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 4 (640 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments