Helpful Links

Non data plan phone with Wi-Fi

Contributor

Non data plan phone with Wi-Fi

I'm looking for a phone that doesn't require a data plan. I guess that means it can't be a smart phone. I'd like a phone that has WiFi and can browse the web and check email.

Any ideas? Is there even such a phone available in the US? I've looked briefly on the internet and can't find anything.

PS - I really dislike AT&T's policy about requiring a data plan for smart phones. If I legally buy someone's used phone, I should be able to use it on the carrier's network and only pay for the services I need. If I don't want data access when I'm away from wifi, why should I be required to pay for it?

Message 1 of 4
Master

Re: Non data plan phone with Wi-Fi

The top carriers require a data plan with smart phones. If you do not like the policy, try a basic phone with a. iPod touch for web. That is the stage of wireless for now.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 4
Master

Nope, unfortunately, there are not any feature phones that have Wi-Fi built in that do not require a data plan.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 4
Master

If you are willing to spend the money for a non-branded phone, Nokia makes some that have WiFi and aren't considered to be smartphones by at&t (such as a non-branded C3-00 - it's not 3G, but if you don't want to use cellular data that may not be of major importance to you). 

Sony Ericsson may have some newer models as well - for ex., the C905i (it's older now) fit the bill (at&t just removed the Wifi access from their branded firmware on the C905a).

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support