Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 1, 2012
3:26:02 PM
View profile
Non US iPhone

I am a Canadian resident and have recently purchased an unlocked iPhone 4s directly from Apple.  Can I purchase a micro-sim card from ATT for short term (a month or two) use when I travel to the US?  Here in Canada, I simply purchased a micro-sim from Telus, deactivated the old phone, moved the number and I was in business.  I am hoping I can do the same in the US.

I am a Canadian resident and have recently purchased an unlocked iPhone 4s directly from Apple.  Can I purchase a micro-sim card from ATT for short term (a month or two) use when I travel to the US?  Here in Canada, I simply purchased a micro-sim from Telus, deactivated the old phone, moved the number and I was in business.  I am hoping I can do the same in the US.

Non US iPhone

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2012 7:51:05 PM
(0)
Master

lescres wrote:

I am a Canadian resident and have recently purchased an unlocked iPhone 4s directly from Apple.  Can I purchase a micro-sim card from ATT for short term (a month or two) use when I travel to the US?  Here in Canada, I simply purchased a micro-sim from Telus, deactivated the old phone, moved the number and I was in business.  I am hoping I can do the same in the U

In the US, it will be different in that you cannot get a pre-paid SIM.  You can setup and account though with no contract since you have your own hardware.  You may need a deposit depending upon your credit.  You will be able to then cancel your account when you are done.  You should not have to buy a SIM but there may be activation fees, etc.....

BTW, since your iPhone is unlocked via Apple, you can use it with an ATT sim.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

lescres wrote:

I am a Canadian resident and have recently purchased an unlocked iPhone 4s directly from Apple.  Can I purchase a micro-sim card from ATT for short term (a month or two) use when I travel to the US?  Here in Canada, I simply purchased a micro-sim from Telus, deactivated the old phone, moved the number and I was in business.  I am hoping I can do the same in the U

In the US, it will be different in that you cannot get a pre-paid SIM.  You can setup and account though with no contract since you have your own hardware.  You may need a deposit depending upon your credit.  You will be able to then cancel your account when you are done.  You should not have to buy a SIM but there may be activation fees, etc.....

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Non US iPhone

2 of 4 (414 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2012 10:40:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

youngjm wrote:

lescres wrote:

Not sure about Canadians, but most foreign nationals who have no established US credit are required to put up a $500 deposit. This is not just an AT&T thing. All carriers will require a deposit from foreign nationals or people with no or bad credit.

youngjm wrote:

lescres wrote:

Not sure about Canadians, but most foreign nationals who have no established US credit are required to put up a $500 deposit. This is not just an AT&T thing. All carriers will require a deposit from foreign nationals or people with no or bad credit.

Re: Non US iPhone

3 of 4 (404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 5:20:50 AM
(0)
Scholar
It sounds like a hassle to get a at&t sim card lol
Btw is ur telus sim card prepay?

Phone them up to see if it would work in America
Prob better then getting a charge of AT&T btw