Non Smart Phone Unlimited Data Plan Upgrade

Tutor

Non Smart Phone Unlimited Data Plan Upgrade

I have a non smartphone unlimited data plan, but am considering upgrading to an iphone. Is there any possibility that I might be able to obtain an unlimited data plan for the iphone? I've had my phone for several years now.

Trying to decide between an ATT iphone and a Verizon iphone. On Verizon I would be able to be grandfathered in to unlimited data since my husband has an unlimited Droid and we could expand his plan to family, but I like ATT and have been happy, so would prefer to stay.

Is there a solution to this?

Message 1 of 15 (4,993 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Non Smart Phone Unlimited Data Plan Upgrade

No. The iPhone unlimited plan is grandfathered in.

The solution is to move to the 2GB plan. How much data are you using monthly now?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15 (4,991 Views)
Tutor

That's the problem, I have no idea. Not much, but I am one of those people who worries about going over if I happen to download pictures or whatever, so I would want an unlimited plan...

Message 3 of 15 (4,988 Views)
ACE - Professor

I have been on the 2GB plan for more than a year. I have never gone over. Ever.

The $25 plan costs you $60 less a year than the $30 unlimited plan, so it includes built in an extra 6GB of overage in the year, to yeild the same price. I never even once came close to 2GB in a month.

You can download pictures. 2GB is a lot of pictures.

You cannot stream HD video (ie, Netflix) over 3G all day every day.

Do you stream video or audio, all day, over 3G?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 15 (4,987 Views)
Tutor

No, I don't do streaming. It's more checking email, reading news, checking facebook. No stock quotes, no streaming movies. I am assuming though that streaming pandora if I wanted to would be out?

BTW - Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Message 5 of 15 (4,984 Views)
Master

You should be fine. Streaming pandora may not be so bad.... I would bet you will find yourself near hotspots more than you think therefore you would use wifi and not your 3G cellular data.

I have the unlimited plan but usually never come anywhere near the 2GB. I am on wifi a lot.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 6 of 15 (4,980 Views)
Tutor

Does the phone automatically switch to an ATT hotspot, or do you have to stop, search for a hotspot, then connect? Is there that option? My last mac was about 16 years ago, aside from the new ipad. Sorry if the questions are dopey!

I guess even just the thought of going over makes me break out in a cold sweat...

Message 7 of 15 (4,978 Views)
Master

Once you select a particular hotspot, your iPhone will automatically connect when it is in range in the future. ATT will connect right away and you will add others over time.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 8 of 15 (4,974 Views)
Professor

Are you sure that you would get unlimited data from VZW?  I would think that their plans would work like AT&T's where any new line of activation, even if on an existing family account, would not be able to add unlimited data.

Message 9 of 15 (4,957 Views)
Master

You are not able to keep your feature phone Unlimited Data plan should you upgrade to a smartphone like the iPhone. Although, according to the types of data usage you intend on doing, I think the 2GB plan would suit you just fine. It's the closest thing to unlimited data that AT&T offers for smartphones themselves, excluding the $45 4GB tethering plan.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 10 of 15 (4,949 Views)
Expert

21stNow wrote:

Are you sure that you would get unlimited data from VZW?  I would think that their plans would work like AT&T's where any new line of activation, even if on an existing family account, would not be able to add unlimited data.

You are correct verizon canceled the ability to add any new smartphone and get unlimited data, only tiered plans are avaialble now and verzon is starting to throttle overages for grandfathered unlimited using the same 5% formula as att

Message 11 of 15 (4,149 Views)
Tutor

Yes - my husband has checked, because he gets unlimited, so would any others tagged to his plan.

Message 12 of 15 (4,143 Views)
Contributor

I had the same question. I was considering buying a lightly used, unlocked iPhone & putting my non smartphone SIM in it since I have unlimited data & have for 2 1/1 years.

Message 13 of 15 (3,726 Views)
Expert

WVgirl304 wrote:

I had the same question. I was considering buying a lightly used, unlocked iPhone & putting my non smartphone SIM in it since I have unlimited data & have for 2 1/1 years.

not a compatible plan, you needed to have a unlimited smartphone plan, a unlimited media net plan that is applied to a QMD / dumb device is not compatible for a smartphone, you would need to choose one of the new tiered plan and out it on the phone.

Message 14 of 15 (3,720 Views)
Highlighted

Wingrider is correct and may I also add that if you are buying an iPhone 4 or 4s and you have a regular sim card it will not fit. Those two iPhones use a microsim. But you can go to any corporate AT&T store and ask for a new sim card.

WVgirl304 wrote:

Message 15 of 15 (3,710 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.