Non ATT phone and 4G LTE

Scholar

Non ATT phone and 4G LTE

I just found out that I was elligible for an upgrade but about 3 days after I bought a Chines knockoff of an HTC HERO (it has a battery that says Hero and it says it is an H4000).  The back cover says 4G LTE. 

When I called to get the IMEI registered the rep said he cannot upgrade me from Smartphone DataPro 2GB to DataPro 4G 2 GB.   He would not add the phone to the database since it is a non-ATT branded device.

I have several phones (pay about $200/month) but they all have upgrade dates that are different and I am trying to get them all at the same time and that is the main reason I bought the phone.  

Is this standard policy in not allowing the 4G LTE or is there something I can do?

Pete

Message 1 of 2
ACE - Expert

Re: Non ATT phone and 4G LTE

What I heard is that without an LTE device IMEI the system won't allow provisioning of the 4G data plan. I've also read a number of posts by people who said that just gave the rep an IMEI of an LTE display model from the store and that allowed the plan change. After the change takes effect you can go back to your own IMEI.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support