Nokia E71 and Nokia X2-01

Contributor

Nokia E71 and Nokia X2-01

Hi guys! So I've been looking into new phones since mine is broken, and I really want a qwerty bar phone but they're all smartphones and I don't have the data plan for it (I have the $15 unlimited for my dumbphone).

I've read online about how unbranded and unlocked smartphones can bypass the system and can still work with my $15 data plan.

Just wondering if that was true? I know that the E71x is branded with AT&T, but will the E71 still be unbranded and work with my plan without it getting automatically switched to the $30 plan?

Also one more question! I want the x2-01 more so than the e71, but the e71 is a branded phone with T-mobile. With the upcoming merger, will the X2-01 eventually become branded?

Thanks for the help guys! Sorry if these questions seem rudimentary, unfortunately I'm not very tech savvy.

Message 1 of 2
Master

Re: Nokia E71 and Nokia X2-01

Personally I would avoid the E71 since it is a device that at&t carried and designated their own model as being a smartphone.  (Better safe than sorry, imo, as there have been mixed reports from users re: at&t's addition of the smartphone data plan to the non-branded E71.)  I use a Nokia E70-2 (non-branded) and have not encountered any issues with at&t trying to add a smartphone data plan to my service.  And there are many other users of non-branded Nokia models with the Symbian O/S out here who have had the same experience.

If you like the X2-01 better anyway, it is not a Symbian model (it's a Series 40 device), so you won't even have the issue of at&t potentially adding a mandatory data plan to it.  However, it is not a 3G device if the benefits of 3G service are something you are after.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support