Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 11, 2011
11:33:31 AM
View profile
Nokia E5 and E71... data plans????

Hi. This is my first post as I don't even have service through At&T yet. I am looking purchase the Nokia E5 or Nokia71 to use on the prepaid unlimited $50 per month plan and do not want to pay any extra for a data plan. I want to go with AT&T because their services works at our lake home in KY. The only other service that works is Verizon.

Do you have either of phone?  Do they require an extra data plan?

Would it make a difference if I buy a factory unlocked phone from Amazon vs a phone from Ebay or Craigslist?

I am getting mixed answers from AT&T reps. One states the E5 does NOT require an added data plan while the other says the phone would. Both say the E71 would not require an extra data plan. I prefer the E5 because of the upgraded camera.

I was also told by a rep, that using the prepaid service would give me the same coverage as the contract service. From what I've read on this forum that is incorrect.

I hope someone out there has a answer for me!!!

Thanks in advance.

Hi. This is my first post as I don't even have service through At&T yet. I am looking purchase the Nokia E5 or Nokia71 to use on the prepaid unlimited $50 per month plan and do not want to pay any extra for a data plan. I want to go with AT&T because their services works at our lake home in KY. The only other service that works is Verizon.

Would it make a difference if I buy a factory unlocked phone from Amazon vs a phone from Ebay or Craigslist?

I am getting mixed answers from AT&T reps. One states the E5 does NOT require an added data plan while the other says the phone would. Both say the E71 would not require an extra data plan. I prefer the E5 because of the upgraded camera.

I was also told by a rep, that using the prepaid service would give me the same coverage as the contract service. From what I've read on this forum that is incorrect.

Thanks in advance.

Nokia E5 and E71... data plans????

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 11:42:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Neither phones would require a data plan for prepaid service unless you would like to subscribe to one. That's the advantage of prepaid service versus postpaid.

It would not make a difference where the phone was purchased or obtained from. I bought my prepaid phones from cragislist and they work absolutely fine as if they were purchased directly from the manufacturer.

It is said that prepaid service has a slightly reduced coverage range compared to postpaid service. You can take a look at the prepaid vs. postpaid coverage map if you'd like. Overall, I don't think there's too major of a difference, but there could be something notable if you compared your phone to a user that is on a contract plan.

I hope this help answer your questions.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Neither phones would require a data plan for prepaid service unless you would like to subscribe to one. That's the advantage of prepaid service versus postpaid.

It would not make a difference where the phone was purchased or obtained from. I bought my prepaid phones from cragislist and they work absolutely fine as if they were purchased directly from the manufacturer.

It is said that prepaid service has a slightly reduced coverage range compared to postpaid service. You can take a look at the prepaid vs. postpaid coverage map if you'd like. Overall, I don't think there's too major of a difference, but there could be something notable if you compared your phone to a user that is on a contract plan.

I hope this help answer your questions.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Nokia E5 and E71... data plans????

2 of 9 (1,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 1:03:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks so much for your help Wild Banchi. Can I ask is your phone considered a smartphone?

The At&Ts prepaid shopping states:

Unlimited Talk & Text nationwide includes text, IM, picture/sound /video messages, text & IM to Mexico Canada and over 100 countries, PLUS unlimited Web, all for $50 per month. Smartphone users must add a Data package to use Data services with any plan

This is where I am confused as both phones I mentioned are considered smartphones. But one does not require a data package and the other may depending on which rep I speak too.

Thanks so much for your help Wild Banchi. Can I ask is your phone considered a smartphone?

The At&Ts prepaid shopping states:

Unlimited Talk & Text nationwide includes text, IM, picture/sound /video messages, text & IM to Mexico Canada and over 100 countries, PLUS unlimited Web, all for $50 per month. Smartphone users must add a Data package to use Data services with any plan

This is where I am confused as both phones I mentioned are considered smartphones. But one does not require a data package and the other may depending on which rep I speak too.

3 of 9 (1,302 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 3:06:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
You're welcome. And yes, my Captivate is a smartphone, for which I use with no monthly data plan.

The phones still should not require a data plan, even with reading the smartphone sentence. What I think "Smartphone users must add a Data Package to use Data services with any plan" means is that if a person WANTED to use data services, they would have to subscribe to the data package. That's only if they WANTED to. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

You're welcome. And yes, my Captivate is a smartphone, for which I use with no monthly data plan.

The phones still should not require a data plan, even with reading the smartphone sentence. What I think "Smartphone users must add a Data Package to use Data services with any plan" means is that if a person WANTED to use data services, they would have to subscribe to the data package. That's only if they WANTED to. Smiley Happy

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (1,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 3:38:58 PM
(0)
Professor

I read that on one of the Androids, one can turn off 3G & 2G data to/from the towers but I am unable to verify it. I would look into prevention of accidental data usage through the towers.

I read that on one of the Androids, one can turn off 3G & 2G data to/from the towers but I am unable to verify it. I would look into prevention of accidental data usage through the towers.

5 of 9 (1,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 3:43:44 PM
(0)
Master
All of the Android phones running FroYo (Android 2.2) and higher can turn off the cellular data connection. The HTC phones have had the option since at least Cupcake (Android 1.5). Some of the other manufacturers included a mobile data switch in older versions of Android. Sony Ericsson comes to mind.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
All of the Android phones running FroYo (Android 2.2) and higher can turn off the cellular data connection. The HTC phones have had the option since at least Cupcake (Android 1.5). Some of the other manufacturers included a mobile data switch in older versions of Android. Sony Ericsson comes to mind.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

6 of 9 (1,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 3:57:22 PM
(0)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:

It sounds like a software toggle on/off on the Froyo.

On the mobile data switch of other manufacturers, would that be a hardware or a software switch?

Ann154 wrote:

It sounds like a software toggle on/off on the Froyo.

On the mobile data switch of other manufacturers, would that be a hardware or a software switch?

7 of 9 (1,283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 5:54:47 PM
(0)
Master
As far as I know the Android Operating system uses a software switch. Its location in the settings is sometimes is a different location in some phones.

Normally it located in the Settings > wireless & networks > mobile networks settings.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
As far as I know the Android Operating system uses a software switch. Its location in the settings is sometimes is a different location in some phones.

Normally it located in the Settings > wireless & networks > mobile networks settings.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

8 of 9 (1,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 5:22:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

threetboys wrote:

Thanks in advance.

The sales reps you spoke with were probably confused re: prepaid service - in my experience they aren't very knowledgeable re: prepaid service questions. ( I don't believe they receive any incentives for selling a prepaid plan. Smiley Wink )  With prepaid service, if you are using a phone that at&t designates as a smartphone, and you don't specifically add an add-on (extra charge) data plan, you won't have access to the cellular data network.  There is no PPU data allowed with smartphones.  So a data plan is not a "requirement" for any phone with prepaid service; but if you want to use cellular data and you are using a smartphone, then you have to add a data plan (it doesn't come included with the $50/month unlimited plan).

Re: you question about coverage - depending on where you are, there can be a vast difference in coverage on a prepaid vs. a post paid plan.  Take a look at Nebraska in the coverage viewer, for ex.  Absolutely no service whatsoever on a prepaid plan; yet post paid "partner" coverage blankets the state. Smiley Wink  I know you said you are interested in using your phone in Kentucky - take a look at the coverage viewer (link at the top of the page) for GoPhone vs. "Voice" (post paid service) in the areas you'll be using your phone to see if there are significant differences in the coverage that is indicated.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

threetboys wrote:

Thanks in advance.

The sales reps you spoke with were probably confused re: prepaid service - in my experience they aren't very knowledgeable re: prepaid service questions. ( I don't believe they receive any incentives for selling a prepaid plan. Smiley Wink )  With prepaid service, if you are using a phone that at&t designates as a smartphone, and you don't specifically add an add-on (extra charge) data plan, you won't have access to the cellular data network.  There is no PPU data allowed with smartphones.  So a data plan is not a "requirement" for any phone with prepaid service; but if you want to use cellular data and you are using a smartphone, then you have to add a data plan (it doesn't come included with the $50/month unlimited plan).

Re: you question about coverage - depending on where you are, there can be a vast difference in coverage on a prepaid vs. a post paid plan.  Take a look at Nebraska in the coverage viewer, for ex.  Absolutely no service whatsoever on a prepaid plan; yet post paid "partner" coverage blankets the state. Smiley Wink  I know you said you are interested in using your phone in Kentucky - take a look at the coverage viewer (link at the top of the page) for GoPhone vs. "Voice" (post paid service) in the areas you'll be using your phone to see if there are significant differences in the coverage that is indicated.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

9 of 9 (1,258 Views)