Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 17, 2011
7:54:47 AM
View profile
NoDo Finally coming to our Focus' this Tuesday the 19th!

Interestingly, the delay HAS been att wireless' fault and not MS. Turns out att has been working on their own software additions to the NoDo packages. Here is a link with more information.

http://wmpoweruser.com/att-unique-features-coming-with-nodo-update-revealed/#idc-container

Bottom line, the att NoDo update will include WISPr and an att address book. WISPr is a program which will log you onto att hotspots automatically. Personally, I think both programs have marginal to no value, but it is interesting to see that there has been a reason for the delay and that it resided in att's camp.

Well, here is looking forward to Tuesday!

Interestingly, the delay HAS been att wireless' fault and not MS. Turns out att has been working on their own software additions to the NoDo packages. Here is a link with more information.

http://wmpoweruser.com/att-unique-features-coming-with-nodo-update-revealed/#idc-container

Bottom line, the att NoDo update will include WISPr and an att address book. WISPr is a program which will log you onto att hotspots automatically. Personally, I think both programs have marginal to no value, but it is interesting to see that there has been a reason for the delay and that it resided in att's camp.

NoDo Finally coming to our Focus' this Tuesday the 19th!

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 3:40:40 AM
(0)
Expert

Paolo01 wrote:

will believe it when it is starting to come down, going ot make usre I don;t plug my phone into zune for the next two weeks just to be on the safe side.

Paolo01 wrote:

will believe it when it is starting to come down, going ot make usre I don;t plug my phone into zune for the next two weeks just to be on the safe side.

Re: NoDo Finally coming to our Focus' this Tuesday the 19th!

2 of 9 (473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 5:48:06 AM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

Why are you avoiding the update Wingrider01?

Just curious. I have questions about the att "coverstory" as well, but I am looking forward to seeing the official update process. I am very curious to see what it does to our less than optimum 'tethered' tethering.

wingrider01 wrote:

Just curious. I have questions about the att "coverstory" as well, but I am looking forward to seeing the official update process. I am very curious to see what it does to our less than optimum 'tethered' tethering.

3 of 9 (467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 7:17:39 AM
(0)
Expert

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Why try something until it is proven, not to mention the server load on both microsoft and att's delivery network. Will wait for the rush to be over with before I attempt the upgrade. 2 weeks or more before I try the upgrade. 

In reviewing what is offered, nothing really stands out as a do or die requirement to using the phone. The Focus has been stable since I got the phone on the day of release with the 32GBsd card installed. While cut and paste is nice, but not a really large need on the phone - if I have to work on a document when connected I have a very capable laptop that is a lot easier.

Have zero need for tethering in the area's that are serviced by the carriers, have a built in cellular modem, a wifi connection and a 1GB wired connection, so it is a useless feature for me.

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Why try something until it is proven, not to mention the server load on both microsoft and att's delivery network. Will wait for the rush to be over with before I attempt the upgrade. 2 weeks or more before I try the upgrade. 

In reviewing what is offered, nothing really stands out as a do or die requirement to using the phone. The Focus has been stable since I got the phone on the day of release with the 32GBsd card installed. While cut and paste is nice, but not a really large need on the phone - if I have to work on a document when connected I have a very capable laptop that is a lot easier.

Have zero need for tethering in the area's that are serviced by the carriers, have a built in cellular modem, a wifi connection and a 1GB wired connection, so it is a useless feature for me.

4 of 9 (458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 12:14:42 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Apr 18, 2011 at 12:19:14 PM

wingrider01 wrote:

Now you are just being selfish Smiley Happy  j/k

AT&T desperately needs to move as many ppl as possible off the cellular data network to wi-fi hotspot to lessen the congestion. That's how Apple's iPhone was configured out of box (it will latch on to any open wi-fi hot spots (not just AT&T's) the second it spots them). The WISPr has been integrated to WM phones, Android phone, iPhones etc. except WP7 phones.

As for AT&T address book feature,  I have nothing but annoyance with it on my Android based Captivate. I personally don't need them and never used them. But it maybe of some help to others that manage their contacts in AT&T OLAM system.

wingrider01 wrote:

Now you are just being selfish Smiley Happy  j/k

AT&T desperately needs to move as many ppl as possible off the cellular data network to wi-fi hotspot to lessen the congestion. That's how Apple's iPhone was configured out of box (it will latch on to any open wi-fi hot spots (not just AT&T's) the second it spots them). The WISPr has been integrated to WM phones, Android phone, iPhones etc. except WP7 phones.

As for AT&T address book feature,  I have nothing but annoyance with it on my Android based Captivate. I personally don't need them and never used them. But it maybe of some help to others that manage their contacts in AT&T OLAM system.

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (422 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 12:21:53 PM
(0)
Professor

Personally I am not a big fan of WISPr if it is going to automatically move me to WiFi if an att hotspot comes within range. While I am sitting in Starbucks, that will actually be nice, but I really cannot think of another reason in the US I would simply leave my WiFi turned on. I wonder if WISPr will override our WiFi settings?

Now, in Europe and Asia I tend to use WiFi FAR more often to get connectivity with my phone. If WiFi worked there and helped eliminate roaming data charges, I can see that as a plus. But really in the US with a good data plan, it is of limited value to me. I am hanging on to my old grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Personally I am not a big fan of WISPr if it is going to automatically move me to WiFi if an att hotspot comes within range. While I am sitting in Starbucks, that will actually be nice, but I really cannot think of another reason in the US I would simply leave my WiFi turned on. I wonder if WISPr will override our WiFi settings?

Now, in Europe and Asia I tend to use WiFi FAR more often to get connectivity with my phone. If WiFi worked there and helped eliminate roaming data charges, I can see that as a plus. But really in the US with a good data plan, it is of limited value to me. I am hanging on to my old grandfathered unlimited data plan.

6 of 9 (418 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 5:40:45 PM
(0)
Master

WISPr is an app that automatically check your account to make sure you are eligible for free AT&T hot spot access (Smartphone with post-paid data plan). It only helps when you're on AT&T hot spot which, in some/most cases, is a paid subscription service unless the venue subsidizes it, e.g. McDonald. It won't help you at all if you're on some other paid Hot Spot network, e.g. overseas or airports.

WISPr is an app that automatically check your account to make sure you are eligible for free AT&T hot spot access (Smartphone with post-paid data plan). It only helps when you're on AT&T hot spot which, in some/most cases, is a paid subscription service unless the venue subsidizes it, e.g. McDonald. It won't help you at all if you're on some other paid Hot Spot network, e.g. overseas or airports.

7 of 9 (375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 5:52:55 PM
(0)
Teacher

Here is the map of hotspots if anyone cares

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=13540

What time are these nodo arrive?

Here is the map of hotspots if anyone cares

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=13540

What time are these nodo arrive?

8 of 9 (371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 5:57:35 PM
(0)
Master

Rumor is starting tomorrow 4/19 and typically takes up to 4 weeks or more for complete roll out. So, depending your luck, you can get your update tomorrow or 4 weeks later.

Rumor is starting tomorrow 4/19 and typically takes up to 4 weeks or more for complete roll out. So, depending your luck, you can get your update tomorrow or 4 weeks later.

9 of 9 (368 Views)