Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 13, 2011
7:08:40 PM
No wifi connection. Why?
I posted this problem in the AT&T wifi section but never got a reply.

Anyway, here's my problem. On my laptop and other phone I can connect to a public wifi. On my iPhone 3GS I can't. It can't find the network or any wifi. On my other phone, I can turn on my wifi and search for wifi and it pops up and I just connect to it. I don't know why this iPhone can't find any wifi. I try typing in the network but it couldn't find it. The wifi here doesn't have any password. I thought that when you're new in an area where there's free wifi, it will just pop up on the iPhone and you cam choise to connect or not. This iPhone doesn't.

I really need help! Thanks!
I posted this problem in the AT&T wifi section but never got a reply.

Anyway, here's my problem. On my laptop and other phone I can connect to a public wifi. On my iPhone 3GS I can't. It can't find the network or any wifi. On my other phone, I can turn on my wifi and search for wifi and it pops up and I just connect to it. I don't know why this iPhone can't find any wifi. I try typing in the network but it couldn't find it. The wifi here doesn't have any password. I thought that when you're new in an area where there's free wifi, it will just pop up on the iPhone and you cam choise to connect or not. This iPhone doesn't.

I really need help! Thanks!

No wifi connection. Why?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2011 7:15:37 PM
(0)
Professor

Assuming Wi-Fi is turned on, if it detects an open Wi-Fi connection, it will automatically connect.

Has Wi-Fi ever worked on your device?

Have you tried the basics from the manual of reset, restart, and restore (from backup and as new)?

Have you contacted Apple support to have the issue diagnosed?  It is possible that you have a hardware problem.

Assuming Wi-Fi is turned on, if it detects an open Wi-Fi connection, it will automatically connect.

Has Wi-Fi ever worked on your device?

Have you tried the basics from the manual of reset, restart, and restore (from backup and as new)?

Have you contacted Apple support to have the issue diagnosed?  It is possible that you have a hardware problem.

Re: No wifi connection. Why?

2 of 11 (1,573 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2011 7:23:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Also in Settings>Wi-Fi>Ask to Join Networks, make sure this is set to on.  It sounds like you want the pop-up window that will alert you to available networks and then ask you if you want to connect.

Also in Settings>Wi-Fi>Ask to Join Networks, make sure this is set to on.  It sounds like you want the pop-up window that will alert you to available networks and then ask you if you want to connect.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 11 (1,566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2011 8:09:01 PM
(0)
Mentor
The first time I used wifi was at my sister's house. I did get connected and used it alot there. But when I try using wifi in another area that's free, it can't find any and there's no pop up. Also, the ask to join network is always on whenever I have my wifi on. But when I was at my sister's, her wifi never pop up on my phone. I did it manually.
The first time I used wifi was at my sister's house. I did get connected and used it alot there. But when I try using wifi in another area that's free, it can't find any and there's no pop up. Also, the ask to join network is always on whenever I have my wifi on. But when I was at my sister's, her wifi never pop up on my phone. I did it manually.

4 of 11 (1,559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 3:25:18 AM
(0)
Expert

pink_khryztal wrote:

a lot of the free providers will not broadcast the SSID on the wireless netowrk so the phone cannot detect the presence of it, If a location offered free wireless and you do not see the ssid on the phone ask someone at the location what the ssid is and enter it manually.

It is a good security practice to configure a wireless access point or router not to broadcast the SSID and to have a strong encryption key

pink_khryztal wrote:

a lot of the free providers will not broadcast the SSID on the wireless netowrk so the phone cannot detect the presence of it, If a location offered free wireless and you do not see the ssid on the phone ask someone at the location what the ssid is and enter it manually.

It is a good security practice to configure a wireless access point or router not to broadcast the SSID and to have a strong encryption key

5 of 11 (1,521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 11:59:53 AM
(0)
Mentor
How do I type in the SSID or where?

My Samsung Corby Pro can detect a wifi and connect easy but my iPhone can't detect any wifi. That's sad.
How do I type in the SSID or where?

My Samsung Corby Pro can detect a wifi and connect easy but my iPhone can't detect any wifi. That's sad.

6 of 11 (1,470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 12:09:37 PM
(0)
Professor

pink_khryztal wrote:

If other devices are finding and connecting the Wi-Fi but the iPhone, at the same location is not, you need to do some troubleshooting.

Have you reset, restarted, or restored the iPhone?  This is basic troubleshooting from the manual.

If you restore as new and still have the same issue, it's a hardware problem with your device.

And no, it's not sad... you have a problem that must be troubleshot and resolved.  So have you done any troubleshooting?

pink_khryztal wrote:

If other devices are finding and connecting the Wi-Fi but the iPhone, at the same location is not, you need to do some troubleshooting.

Have you reset, restarted, or restored the iPhone?  This is basic troubleshooting from the manual.

If you restore as new and still have the same issue, it's a hardware problem with your device.

And no, it's not sad... you have a problem that must be troubleshot and resolved.  So have you done any troubleshooting?

7 of 11 (1,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 6:29:03 PM
(0)
Mentor
I typed in the SSID, still can't find wifi. I tried the Reset Network Settings, still no wifi.

If I restore the iPhone, will it delete everything? Pictures? Phone numbers? Application?

What should I do if it's a hardware problem?
I typed in the SSID, still can't find wifi. I tried the Reset Network Settings, still no wifi.

If I restore the iPhone, will it delete everything? Pictures? Phone numbers? Application?

What should I do if it's a hardware problem?

8 of 11 (1,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 6:51:11 PM
(0)
Professor

Connect device to iTunes and do a backup.  Copy any pictures on your device's camera roll to your computer.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings.

Test, any changes?  If resolved stop.  If not, continue.

Connect device to iTunes.

Restore from Backup. 

Restore as new.  This will wipe ALL your information from the device, this is why we do a backup first.  Content can be synced back at a later point.

At this point, the only thing left is to take the device to Apple for them to confirm that a hardware issue exists.

If a hardware issue does exist, and the device is still under warranty, they will replace it for free.  If it is not under warranty, you may be eligible for an Out of Warranty replacement which is $199.  At that point, if you are eligible for an upgrade through AT&T, it may make more sense to upgrade to an iPhone 4.

Connect device to iTunes and do a backup.  Copy any pictures on your device's camera roll to your computer.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings.

Connect device to iTunes.

Restore from Backup. 

Restore as new.  This will wipe ALL your information from the device, this is why we do a backup first.  Content can be synced back at a later point.

At this point, the only thing left is to take the device to Apple for them to confirm that a hardware issue exists.

If a hardware issue does exist, and the device is still under warranty, they will replace it for free.  If it is not under warranty, you may be eligible for an Out of Warranty replacement which is $199.  At that point, if you are eligible for an upgrade through AT&T, it may make more sense to upgrade to an iPhone 4.

9 of 11 (1,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 6:58:26 PM
(0)
Mentor
I don't think I'm eligible for an upgrade coz I got this on March 11, 2011. Too bad it cost $199 for warranty replacement and I can't get an upgrade.
I don't think I'm eligible for an upgrade coz I got this on March 11, 2011. Too bad it cost $199 for warranty replacement and I can't get an upgrade.

10 of 11 (1,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 7:06:47 PM
(0)
Professor

pink_khryztal wrote:

Then you are covered under warranty.

You could also have returned it to an AT&T corp store for exchange during the first 30 days... so why have you been dealing with this for a month and not gotten it resolved?  If there is an Apple store close by... schedule an appointment with the Genius bar and let them rule out hardware as the issue.

pink_khryztal wrote:

Then you are covered under warranty.

You could also have returned it to an AT&T corp store for exchange during the first 30 days... so why have you been dealing with this for a month and not gotten it resolved?  If there is an Apple store close by... schedule an appointment with the Genius bar and let them rule out hardware as the issue.

11 of 11 (1,039 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments