No service on my phone and ATT will not release me from my contract

Contributor

No service on my phone and ATT will not release me from my contract

I was wondering if anyone else if having this problem:

I recently moved and now I have no service on my phone.  I called ATT about being released from my contract and on my first call they siad this woudl be possible if I filled out a form.  On my second call (after the first call was dropped, imagine that)  I was told the only way out of my contract was to pay over $300 in cacellation fees.  I do not understand why if AT&T does not cover my new residence why they will not allow you out of your contract.  Has anyone else had this problem?

If I have to wait to be released and therefor have a phone that will not function for another year, I will not ever go back to AT&T nor encourage anyone else to become an AT&T customer.  This is very frustrating!!!!

Message 1 of 11 (1,267 Views)
Professor

Re: No service on my phone and ATT will not release me from my contract

Now thats sad.  you'd think a company would have a clause to accomodate for such.

Message 2 of 11 (1,242 Views)
Expert

RicoLX wrote:

Now thats sad.  you'd think a company would have a clause to accomodate for such.

actually most carriers have the exact same policy

Message 3 of 11 (1,239 Views)
Professor

You are right, Mr.Wingrider. I guess it is at the choice of the carrier if they decide to waive or not. Hope this guy gets some help.
Message 4 of 11 (1,234 Views)
Master

In order to cancel/get out of your contract, you must pay the early termination fee. There is no other way out. AT&T will not cut you any slack because you do not get decent coverage. Unfortunately, that's just the way it goes. Carriers should have some sort of policy where they would allow something like this, but that's not the way it works...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 11 (1,226 Views)
Professor

Yep, unfortunaty so. Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 11 (1,224 Views)
Former Employee

You can always sell your phone to make your money back. AT&T have to charge you a termination fee because they gave you a big discount on the phone assuming they will recoup the cost of the phone over the next 2 years, but now you have to cancel your service early, so AT&T have to get that money back via ETF (early termination fee) and you'll get them back via Craigslist or eBay. It's fair, no?

Message 7 of 11 (1,212 Views)
Expert

Wild Banchi wrote:

In order to cancel/get out of your contract, you must pay the early termination fee. There is no other way out. AT&T will not cut you any slack because you do not get decent coverage. Unfortunately, that's just the way it goes. Carriers should have some sort of policy where they would allow something like this, but that's not the way it works...

cell technology does not warrant this, as a example at my inlaws house. I get 5 bar coverage at the front of their house, if I walk to the back while on the phione the call will drop due to no signal, this is with 2 of the 3 carriers I have phones for, the 3rd one does not get signal at all

Message 8 of 11 (1,201 Views)
Scholar

If cell phone companies waived termination fees if moving to a no coverage area, people who want to cancel would just say they moved. It's unfortunate.
Message 9 of 11 (1,148 Views)
Tutor

I'm in the same boat.  I moved just a few miles down the road and have no reception now even though the coverage map shows that I should.

Message 10 of 11 (1,071 Views)

I'm a traveling nurse and have recently been taking assignments where I get no service.  Can't get out of contract without termination fees, they wouldn't even meet me half way considering the problems I was having.  My phone has also been a big waste, had to have it replaced three times, all of which has cost me money.  Figured I'd be better off cutting my losses and changing my carrier back to verizon.  Shouldn't have ever left, that's what i get for listening to my brother in law.

Message 11 of 11 (875 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.