No Service In Good Coverage Areas

Contributor

No Service In Good Coverage Areas

So whats the deal? Im always in a good coverage area and the service on my iphone 4 is poor at best! anyone else have this issue? Really regretting staying with ATT at this point as my girlfriend sitting next to me has full bars with verizon.

Message 1 of 5 (1,110 Views)
Master

Re: No Service In Good Coverage Areas

[ Edited ]

A couple of things:

1. Where are you?

2. Have you had good coverage with a different ATT phone? (ATT is not Verizon and I am sure you can find places where ATT has full strength and Verizon has nothing)

3. Have you gone to the Apple store to see if you need a new SIM and/or have defective hardware?

Since you are having issues but most do not have that experience, there is something wrong locally.  Try these steps.

1. Reboot the iPhone - hold the on/off switch and home key for 8 to 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears.
2. Try reseting your network settings. Go to Settings>General>Reset Network Settings. 

3. Restore your iPhone and restore your existing backup.   Maybe you need an OS refresh?
4. Restore the iPhone but this time do not restore your backup - Maybe your backup has a setting that is causing the problem. You will need to reset your preferences.
5. Make an appointment at your local Apple store and have them look at your iPhone. w2ww.apple.com/retail

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 5 (1,105 Views)
Professor

bmsheehan wrote:

So whats the deal? Im always in a good coverage area and the service on my iphone 4 is poor at best! anyone else have this issue? Really regretting staying with ATT at this point as my girlfriend sitting next to me has full bars with verizon.

Then switch.  You should always pick a cellular provider based on coverage in the areas you will be using the service, NOT based on a device.

Have you tried reseating the SIM card?

Replacing the SIM card?
Resetting Network settings?

Reseting or restarting the device?

Message 3 of 5 (1,104 Views)
Contributor

I have had my Iphone since Februrary. Perfect service everywhere in the Chicago neighborhoods up until 2 weeks ago. (wicker park, bucktown, ukrainian village mostly.) Went to the att store today got a brand new sim card and still nothing,  Have reset the network, reset the phone itself...to answer your questions....

1. Where are you? Chicago-

Wicker Park/Bucktown mostly 

2. Have you had good coverage with a different ATT phone? (ATT is not Verizon and I am sure you can find places where ATT has full strength and Verizon has nothing) -

Very true..I have previously had great service with not only different ATT phones but this same one as well which is causing most of my confusion.

3. Have you gone to the Apple store to see if you need a new SIM and/or have defective hardware?  

Not the Apple Store but just got a brand new sim card today from ATT and still nothing,.

I have rebooted the phone, I have reset the network settings, I have restored and backed up the phone itself. 

I guess the next step is to reset the phone itself and not use the backup. although resetting all my preferences will be annoying but hey if it fixes the issue its worth the time.

thanks.

Message 4 of 5 (1,094 Views)
Master

Given what you describe, I would go to the Apple store first. You either have some defective hardware or ATT is doing something with the network in your area.

Hopefully they can help and you can avoid having to setup everything again. I agree, it is not fun and I would not want to loose my 3 stars on Angry Birds:-)

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 5 of 5 (1,048 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.