Posted Jan 2, 2011
8:25:06 AM
View profile
No Refurbs for Existing Customers

I was planning on buying a refurb Iphone EXCEPT ATT will not sell refurbs to existing customers. They are only available to new customers. So basically that means I have to pay $100 more because I am an existing customer.

Sorry ATT, you just lost my business. Why would I stay with a company that penalizes me for being a customer?

I was planning on buying a refurb Iphone EXCEPT ATT will not sell refurbs to existing customers. They are only available to new customers. So basically that means I have to pay $100 more because I am an existing customer.

Sorry ATT, you just lost my business. Why would I stay with a company that penalizes me for being a customer?

No Refurbs for Existing Customers

26 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(26)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 9:27:59 AM
(0)
Professor

mikainsb wrote:

Ok bye cya later. i believe they are Available for a upgrade also. or add a line.

mikainsb wrote:

Ok bye cya later. i believe they are Available for a upgrade also. or add a line.

hello!!!

Re: No Refurbs for Existing Customers

2 of 27 (2,677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 11:07:11 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by iFrosty on Jan 2, 2011 at 11:13:22 AM

That doesnt sound right. Im sure you could buy a refurbished iphone but you have to be either a new customer or an upgradeable customer. Im sure if you don't fall into either of those categories you can't get it. The reason is so that the phone becomes more appealing to new customers and customers that would like a used phone over a new one.

Edit:

I just checked my own line and I can get a refurbished iphone 4 since the line is upgradeable.
Maybe you aren't able to get one BC of your eligibility.

That doesnt sound right. Im sure you could buy a refurbished iphone but you have to be either a new customer or an upgradeable customer. Im sure if you don't fall into either of those categories you can't get it. The reason is so that the phone becomes more appealing to new customers and customers that would like a used phone over a new one.

Edit:

I just checked my own line and I can get a refurbished iphone 4 since the line is upgradeable.
Maybe you aren't able to get one BC of your eligibility.

[ Edited ]
3 of 27 (2,655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 11:33:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

I wish I got whomever you spoke to. The person I spoke to said hands down, no refurbs to existing customers. I am eligible for an upgrade, but it didn't matter with the rep I spoke to.

I wish I got whomever you spoke to. The person I spoke to said hands down, no refurbs to existing customers. I am eligible for an upgrade, but it didn't matter with the rep I spoke to.

4 of 27 (2,645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 11:36:30 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by iFrosty on Jan 2, 2011 at 11:38:34 AM

mikainsb wrote:

Yea I know how you feel. im sure most of us know how you feel!

I didnt speak to anyone to check. Go to your OLAM (Online account managment). Then hover over the tab that says "Shop" then click upgrade. Choose the line by clicking the link next to it. And then look for the iphone 4

mikainsb wrote:

Yea I know how you feel. im sure most of us know how you feel!

I didnt speak to anyone to check. Go to your OLAM (Online account managment). Then hover over the tab that says "Shop" then click upgrade. Choose the line by clicking the link next to it. And then look for the iphone 4

[ Edited ]
5 of 27 (2,643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 3:21:26 PM
(0)
Teacher

you cant get a refurbed iphone 4 because APPLE doesnt have any to send to AT&T.   your not getting punished by AT&T your getting punished by Steve Jobs and APPLE so call APPLE and yell at them...Stop blaming things on AT&T that they have no control over.  if you hate the way AT&T treats you go to a diffrent carrier.

you cant get a refurbed iphone 4 because APPLE doesnt have any to send to AT&T.   your not getting punished by AT&T your getting punished by Steve Jobs and APPLE so call APPLE and yell at them...Stop blaming things on AT&T that they have no control over.  if you hate the way AT&T treats you go to a diffrent carrier.

6 of 27 (2,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 8:18:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

decertified wrote:

Actually, AT&T does have refurbs, just go look on the shopping page for NEW customers. Refurbs were pulled from the offerings to existing customers back in October I think, so you should really validate your *opinion* before you post it.

I don't recall the exact date they dissapeared, but I do remember that it was shortly thereafter I decided to switch to whatever carrier is next to offer the iPhone 4. Not because I'll get a better deal, and not because of sour grapes, but because there is absolutely no reason to reward a company with my continued loyalty who has had me as a customer (counting Cingular) for 10+ years and has decided I'm a 2nd class citizen.

decertified wrote:

Actually, AT&T does have refurbs, just go look on the shopping page for NEW customers. Refurbs were pulled from the offerings to existing customers back in October I think, so you should really validate your *opinion* before you post it.

I don't recall the exact date they dissapeared, but I do remember that it was shortly thereafter I decided to switch to whatever carrier is next to offer the iPhone 4. Not because I'll get a better deal, and not because of sour grapes, but because there is absolutely no reason to reward a company with my continued loyalty who has had me as a customer (counting Cingular) for 10+ years and has decided I'm a 2nd class citizen.

7 of 27 (2,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 9:42:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

I know I'm a little late on this topic, but I wanted to back up the people who had the facts. I have tried to upgrade to the refurb phones (yes, my account is available for upgrade) but I am not able to. If you are a new customer or add a new line, you can get it, no problem. For us that have been customers for years and have had loyalty to AT&T but have no need for an additional line, there is no budging. I have contacted AT&T by chat, phone and email with no luck. This is truly disappointing. I am a loyal consumer, which is why I have been with AT&T for 10 years, but the way that works is to also receive that loyalty from the business. BYE BYE AT&T!

I know I'm a little late on this topic, but I wanted to back up the people who had the facts. I have tried to upgrade to the refurb phones (yes, my account is available for upgrade) but I am not able to. If you are a new customer or add a new line, you can get it, no problem. For us that have been customers for years and have had loyalty to AT&T but have no need for an additional line, there is no budging. I have contacted AT&T by chat, phone and email with no luck. This is truly disappointing. I am a loyal consumer, which is why I have been with AT&T for 10 years, but the way that works is to also receive that loyalty from the business. BYE BYE AT&T!

8 of 27 (1,984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 11:32:43 AM
(0)
Scholar

k bye have fun with slow data. dont come crying back. 

k bye have fun with slow data. dont come crying back. 

9 of 27 (1,962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 3:01:45 PM
(0)
Tutor

You guys are crazy I was eligible for a upgrade.... And guess what I upgraded to the iphone 4 16gig refurb for 99. did it all online no problems what so ever.

You guys are crazy I was eligible for a upgrade.... And guess what I upgraded to the iphone 4 16gig refurb for 99. did it all online no problems what so ever.

10 of 27 (1,929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 2:22:37 PM
(0)
Guru

amdenco wrote:

You are correct, these folks are crazy.  You can get refurb as a new customer or existing.  I've learned something about AT&T, you don't ever call speak to a CSR about anything other than your bill.  You could call 3 different occasions and get 3 different answers if you ask questions about phones or rate plans.

amdenco wrote:

You are correct, these folks are crazy.  You can get refurb as a new customer or existing.  I've learned something about AT&T, you don't ever call speak to a CSR about anything other than your bill.  You could call 3 different occasions and get 3 different answers if you ask questions about phones or rate plans.

11 of 27 (1,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 7:43:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
Yeah avoid calling If you can!!!
Yeah avoid calling If you can!!!

12 of 27 (1,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 10:02:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

att.com/wireless > Shop >smartphones. The iphone 4 refurb is one of the first ones listed.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

att.com/wireless > Shop >smartphones. The iphone 4 refurb is one of the first ones listed.

13 of 27 (1,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 20, 2011 5:27:36 AM
(0)
Teacher

I can upgrade and When I do that I dont see any Refurbs for the 4. When I log out and go to shop I see them. Odd. What am I doing wrong?

I can upgrade and When I do that I dont see any Refurbs for the 4. When I log out and go to shop I see them. Odd. What am I doing wrong?

14 of 27 (1,423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 1:25:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

Your not doing anything wrong. AT&T won't sell them to existing customers that are not adding an additional line. You must sign up as a new customer OR add a line to your existing account. That is the problem here. Its a deal that AT&T is willing to offer for new customers, but not for their long time loyal customers. Its a horrible way to show your customers that you care... and their slogan "Rethink Possible" Just rethink how possible it is to get the refurb iphone at the same rate as a new customer... shame.

Your not doing anything wrong. AT&T won't sell them to existing customers that are not adding an additional line. You must sign up as a new customer OR add a line to your existing account. That is the problem here. Its a deal that AT&T is willing to offer for new customers, but not for their long time loyal customers. Its a horrible way to show your customers that you care... and their slogan "Rethink Possible" Just rethink how possible it is to get the refurb iphone at the same rate as a new customer... shame.

15 of 27 (1,347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 6:45:52 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by iFrosty on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:00:24 PM

keykitoo wrote:

Umm not correct.
Im not sure why YOU cant see the refurbs but i CAN and it doesn't have to require a new line or to be a new customer. I have checked my OLAM many times for one of my lines that ARE eligible for an upgrade and the refurb iphone 4 is one of the first things i see.

Just keep trying and maybe it will eventually appear.

Edit: I just checked my OLAM again and is still shows but they are out of stock.

keykitoo wrote:

Umm not correct.
Im not sure why YOU cant see the refurbs but i CAN and it doesn't have to require a new line or to be a new customer. I have checked my OLAM many times for one of my lines that ARE eligible for an upgrade and the refurb iphone 4 is one of the first things i see.

Just keep trying and maybe it will eventually appear.

Edit: I just checked my OLAM again and is still shows but they are out of stock.

[ Edited ]
16 of 27 (1,324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2011 10:07:04 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by LJG3 on Jan 22, 2011 at 10:08:23 AM

keykitoo I am experiencing the same thing as well. Only NEW iPhone 4s available when I attempt to upgrade my line but when I attempt to add an additional line both NEW and REFURB iPhones 4s available (16GB showing temp out of stock)

Upgrade exisiting line:

Add additional line:

keykitoo I am experiencing the same thing as well. Only NEW iPhone 4s available when I attempt to upgrade my line but when I attempt to add an additional line both NEW and REFURB iPhones 4s available (16GB showing temp out of stock)

Upgrade exisiting line:

Add additional line:

[ Edited ]
17 of 27 (1,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2011 3:58:31 PM
(0)
Tutor
Just to mention I am on a premier account through my work so I don't know if that makes a difference. I got the iPhone 4 for 99 plus 18 upgrade fee
Just to mention I am on a premier account through my work so I don't know if that makes a difference. I got the iPhone 4 for 99 plus 18 upgrade fee

18 of 27 (1,239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2011 4:37:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

Spoke to AT&T this evening about getting a refurb iPhone 4 - no deal - they say that their "strict contract with Apple prevents it."  So much for being a loyal ten-year customer.

Spoke to AT&T this evening about getting a refurb iPhone 4 - no deal - they say that their "strict contract with Apple prevents it."  So much for being a loyal ten-year customer.

19 of 27 (1,226 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2011 4:38:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Who do you work for Apple or AT&T?

Who do you work for Apple or AT&T?

20 of 27 (1,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2011 5:26:53 PM
(0)
Tutor
Neither I work for a aerospace company... And they have deals with all of the major wireless providers. I get 17% of my bill and accessories
Neither I work for a aerospace company... And they have deals with all of the major wireless providers. I get 17% of my bill and accessories

21 of 27 (1,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 10:38:16 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problem. I'm eliglible for an upgrade but I can't get the refurb iPhone 4. Is anyone from AT&T going to explain this???

I have the same problem. I'm eliglible for an upgrade but I can't get the refurb iPhone 4. Is anyone from AT&T going to explain this???

22 of 27 (1,179 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 10:58:45 AM
(0)
Professor

rmoreno023 wrote:

Is anyone from AT&T going to explain this???

You would have to call AT&T or visit a Corp store and ask them.

We are all just users like yourself.

The AT&T employee's that are here are not posting in an official capacity, they are here because they want to be here.

rmoreno023 wrote:

The AT&T employee's that are here are not posting in an official capacity, they are here because they want to be here.

23 of 27 (1,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 8:21:55 AM
(0)
Guru

satchev wrote:

rmoreno023 wrote:

The issue with contacting AT&T directly is that sometimes you can't even get a straight answer--even when it's coming from the horse's mouth, so to speak--just look at this thread...you have some folks here posting that, even as an existing customer they are able to order a refurb'd iPhone 4 (if so desired)...while OTOH you have at least one person posting that, upon contacting AT&T, he/she was informed that it was not possible due to AT&T's "strict contract with Apple" preventing them from allowing the person to purchase a refurb'd iPhone 4; now, there may be more to it as far as this particular customer is concerned (i.e., we don't have enough info here regarding his/her account/contract status to know why this person was denied)  Heck--this thread isn't the only one where I've seen users post seemingly uncertain and/or contradictory information that was given to them by AT&T employees (no, I'm not referring to and/or including those employees who work as agents who don't represent AT&T at stores that sell AT&T Wireless products and/or services).

Given the above...can you blame a customer for getting frustrated with AT&T's customer service?

satchev wrote:

rmoreno023 wrote:

The issue with contacting AT&T directly is that sometimes you can't even get a straight answer--even when it's coming from the horse's mouth, so to speak--just look at this thread...you have some folks here posting that, even as an existing customer they are able to order a refurb'd iPhone 4 (if so desired)...while OTOH you have at least one person posting that, upon contacting AT&T, he/she was informed that it was not possible due to AT&T's "strict contract with Apple" preventing them from allowing the person to purchase a refurb'd iPhone 4; now, there may be more to it as far as this particular customer is concerned (i.e., we don't have enough info here regarding his/her account/contract status to know why this person was denied)  Heck--this thread isn't the only one where I've seen users post seemingly uncertain and/or contradictory information that was given to them by AT&T employees (no, I'm not referring to and/or including those employees who work as agents who don't represent AT&T at stores that sell AT&T Wireless products and/or services).

Given the above...can you blame a customer for getting frustrated with AT&T's customer service?

24 of 27 (1,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 9:38:20 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just ordered at refurb 16GB iPhone 4 from the premier website for my upgrade. I was tracking their inventory for the past few days on a daily basis and hit my luck this morning.

My BIL was able to upgrade his to the same 16G iPhone 4 during Christmas time as well.

I wish the ones with blemish for $79 was available on the premier website as well.

I just ordered at refurb 16GB iPhone 4 from the premier website for my upgrade. I was tracking their inventory for the past few days on a daily basis and hit my luck this morning.

My BIL was able to upgrade his to the same 16G iPhone 4 during Christmas time as well.

I wish the ones with blemish for $79 was available on the premier website as well.

25 of 27 (1,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2012 3:58:58 PM
(0)
Moved for better exposure

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

26 of 27 (682 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2012 4:19:15 PM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed, as it is very old. 

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed, as it is very old. 

27 of 27 (680 Views)