Wireless Forums

Posted Jun 17, 2010
3:06:55 PM
No Guarantee If You Pre-Ordered Or Paid

Just got off the phone with the Apple store, I asked if I pre-ordered would I get my IPhone, she said yes....then I said could I show up anytime to pick it up..and she said no..it's first come first serve even if you paid for it...I said "What if you pre-ordered or reserved and you run out, what happens to those people?"

The answer...

I don't know.

That's just great.

Just got off the phone with the Apple store, I asked if I pre-ordered would I get my IPhone, she said yes....then I said could I show up anytime to pick it up..and she said no..it's first come first serve even if you paid for it...I said "What if you pre-ordered or reserved and you run out, what happens to those people?"

The answer...

I don't know.

That's just great.

No Guarantee If You Pre-Ordered Or Paid

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2010 3:12:39 PM
(0)
Mentor

That stinks! I ordered mine for in-store pickup because I knew I wouldn't be home to sign for the delivery. Some of us do have to work for a living! I won't be able to get to the AT&T store to pick mine up until late afternoon.

That stinks! I ordered mine for in-store pickup because I knew I wouldn't be home to sign for the delivery. Some of us do have to work for a living! I won't be able to get to the AT&T store to pick mine up until late afternoon.

Re: No Guarantee If You Pre-Ordered Or Paid

2 of 16 (1,643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2010 4:02:47 PM
(0)
Expert

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

The answer...

I don't know.

That's just great.

really, friend was told the exact opposite, that it would be held in their name till eob. Interesting

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

The answer...

I don't know.

That's just great.

really, friend was told the exact opposite, that it would be held in their name till eob. Interesting

3 of 16 (1,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2010 4:03:34 PM
(0)
Guru

wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

The answer...

I don't know.

That's just great.

Which is also what the e-mail apple sends out confirming the reservation says.

wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

The answer...

I don't know.

That's just great.

4 of 16 (1,540 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2010 5:56:10 PM
(0)
Master

archermoo wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

The answer...

I don't know.

That's just great.

This is what I was told.  They would hold the for the day.  If you did not pick them up by store closing, they would then be available for purchase to others the next day.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

archermoo wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

The answer...

I don't know.

That's just great.

This is what I was told.  They would hold the for the day.  If you did not pick them up by store closing, they would then be available for purchase to others the next day.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 16 (1,438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2010 6:01:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

youngjm wrote:

archermoo wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

The answer...

I don't know.

That's just great.

Keep in mind that pre-ordering and reserving are two different things.  If you 'reserved' via the Apple Store, that's not 'pre-ordering', and usually doesn't require a payment of any sort.  If you 'pre-ordered', gave a credit card number, and asked for it to ship to the Apple or AT&T store, it's yours guaranteed.

However, if you just 'reserved' it, MOST LIKELY you will have yours held for you at the store, but there is no guarantee whatsoever that you will have a phone unless you get there early.  Apple kinda keeps their safety net by saying that they will be sold on a 'first come first served' basis.  

youngjm wrote:

archermoo wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

The answer...

I don't know.

That's just great.

Keep in mind that pre-ordering and reserving are two different things.  If you 'reserved' via the Apple Store, that's not 'pre-ordering', and usually doesn't require a payment of any sort.  If you 'pre-ordered', gave a credit card number, and asked for it to ship to the Apple or AT&T store, it's yours guaranteed.

However, if you just 'reserved' it, MOST LIKELY you will have yours held for you at the store, but there is no guarantee whatsoever that you will have a phone unless you get there early.  Apple kinda keeps their safety net by saying that they will be sold on a 'first come first served' basis.  

6 of 16 (1,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2010 6:06:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

josie_glausier wrote:

youngjm wrote:

archermoo wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

The answer...

I don't know.

That's just great.

Josie any new News abouts iphone on 24?

josie_glausier wrote:

youngjm wrote:

archermoo wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

The answer...

I don't know.

That's just great.

7 of 16 (1,389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2010 6:12:18 PM
(0)
Scholar

warnock wrote:

josie_glausier wrote:

youngjm wrote:

archermoo wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

The answer...

I don't know.

That's just great.

Thanks for asking, warnock, but as of right now, still no news.  The AT&T rep on their Facebook page just told me the same stuff I've been hearing - "you'll receive an email confirmation, then an email when your order is shipped", however no further information is provided.

I have my 'reservation' at the Apple Store, I'll go up there around 2-3 pm the day before and start my camping.  LOL I keep bumping the time earlier and earlier for my camping trip.  Luckily the store is in a very nice, very large 3 story mall, so at least I'll have a way to occupy myself while I'm waiting, LOL .... I love people watching!!!  :smileywink:

I am going to wait to call them until tomorrow morning.  My funds are still 'pending' through my bank, my order still says 'in progress' on the website and the 800 hotline, I'm just missing that all powerful confirmation email.  I swear, when I get that email, I'm going to do a little dance.  Unless it says 'unfortunately' on any part of the email, then I'll just cry.

Tomorrow morning gives them a full 48 hours from the time my order was processed, and 72 hours from when it was placed.... that's more than adequate for a confirmation email, and it meets their request of "please allow 48 hours for processing" demand on their phone system.  :smileyhappy: Wish me luck, warnock, I'll keep you informed, LOL.

warnock wrote:

josie_glausier wrote:

youngjm wrote:

archermoo wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

The answer...

I don't know.

That's just great.

Thanks for asking, warnock, but as of right now, still no news.  The AT&T rep on their Facebook page just told me the same stuff I've been hearing - "you'll receive an email confirmation, then an email when your order is shipped", however no further information is provided.

I have my 'reservation' at the Apple Store, I'll go up there around 2-3 pm the day before and start my camping.  LOL I keep bumping the time earlier and earlier for my camping trip.  Luckily the store is in a very nice, very large 3 story mall, so at least I'll have a way to occupy myself while I'm waiting, LOL .... I love people watching!!!  :smileywink:

I am going to wait to call them until tomorrow morning.  My funds are still 'pending' through my bank, my order still says 'in progress' on the website and the 800 hotline, I'm just missing that all powerful confirmation email.  I swear, when I get that email, I'm going to do a little dance.  Unless it says 'unfortunately' on any part of the email, then I'll just cry.

Tomorrow morning gives them a full 48 hours from the time my order was processed, and 72 hours from when it was placed.... that's more than adequate for a confirmation email, and it meets their request of "please allow 48 hours for processing" demand on their phone system.  :smileyhappy: Wish me luck, warnock, I'll keep you informed, LOL.

8 of 16 (1,374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2010 6:32:09 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yea Good Luck my Applestore is 40 mins from where i live so i cant go sucks

9 of 16 (1,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2010 6:36:24 PM
(0)
Scholar

warnock wrote:

Ew, yeah.  Mine is like 15 minutes away from where I live, but it's like one of only 2 in the entire Hampton Roads area, so it's central to Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Suffolk and Chesapeake (Virginia).... I have a BAAAAD feeling that it'll be pretty crowded there.  Yuck!

warnock wrote:

Ew, yeah.  Mine is like 15 minutes away from where I live, but it's like one of only 2 in the entire Hampton Roads area, so it's central to Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Suffolk and Chesapeake (Virginia).... I have a BAAAAD feeling that it'll be pretty crowded there.  Yuck!

10 of 16 (1,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2010 6:36:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

Plus i think Apple should of got all the preorders from one day an make a deadline for there factories to get them all made then send them so stupid the way the companys work

Plus i think Apple should of got all the preorders from one day an make a deadline for there factories to get them all made then send them so stupid the way the companys work

11 of 16 (658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2010 6:42:48 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by dwill05 on Jun 17, 2010 at 6:48:27 PM

I think that's backwards.  Apple know how many iPhones have been made and will be ready to ship out in time for June 24 delivery.  And  they know how many the factories can produce in a day, so I don't think it's a case of Apple taking unlimited preorders and just telling the factory to make to step up and make that many in a certain time.  It should be Apple knowing how many the factories can produce and not selling more than can be made.

I think that's backwards.  Apple know how many iPhones have been made and will be ready to ship out in time for June 24 delivery.  And  they know how many the factories can produce in a day, so I don't think it's a case of Apple taking unlimited preorders and just telling the factory to make to step up and make that many in a certain time.  It should be Apple knowing how many the factories can produce and not selling more than can be made.

[ Edited ]
12 of 16 (652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2010 7:21:09 PM
(0)
Professor

warnock wrote:

Apple's supply chain is a bit more complex than that.

warnock wrote:

Apple's supply chain is a bit more complex than that.

13 of 16 (619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2010 11:02:01 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by archermoo on Jun 17, 2010 at 11:03:50 PM

josie_glausier wrote:

According to the communication I've recieved, there is indeed a guarantee.  The specific text is "Please note that your reservation will be held until close of business on June 24."  Not "Please note that your reservation needs to be picked up as early as possible to avoid it getting sold to someone else".  The e-mail also included some standard disclaimers at the bottom, including one that pre-authorizations do not guarantee iPhone availability.  Fortunately I have a reservation instead of just a pre-authorization.  Various Apple stores have confirmed this to quite a number of people.

For people that don't think that reservations actually reserve you a phone, I'm curious: What do you see as the point of making a reservation if it doesn't reserve a phone?  What does making one gain you?

josie_glausier wrote:

According to the communication I've recieved, there is indeed a guarantee.  The specific text is "Please note that your reservation will be held until close of business on June 24."  Not "Please note that your reservation needs to be picked up as early as possible to avoid it getting sold to someone else".  The e-mail also included some standard disclaimers at the bottom, including one that pre-authorizations do not guarantee iPhone availability.  Fortunately I have a reservation instead of just a pre-authorization.  Various Apple stores have confirmed this to quite a number of people.

For people that don't think that reservations actually reserve you a phone, I'm curious: What do you see as the point of making a reservation if it doesn't reserve a phone?  What does making one gain you?

[ Edited ]
14 of 16 (551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 5:25:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

My mother who is retired is driving 1.5 hours to sit in my house and wait for my iPhone.  I just have to cook her dinner.  :smileyhappy:  

My mother who is retired is driving 1.5 hours to sit in my house and wait for my iPhone.  I just have to cook her dinner.  :smileyhappy:  

15 of 16 (503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 5:51:08 AM
(0)
Teacher

josie_glausier wrote:

FWIW - My pre-order was placed at 06:25 am Eastern time on Tuesday, June 15. My spam filter caught the order confirm on Thursday, June 17 at 10:47 am Eastern. 52 hours & 22 minutes. Not bad, I guess ;-)

josie_glausier wrote:

FWIW - My pre-order was placed at 06:25 am Eastern time on Tuesday, June 15. My spam filter caught the order confirm on Thursday, June 17 at 10:47 am Eastern. 52 hours & 22 minutes. Not bad, I guess ;-)

16 of 16 (486 Views)