Helpful Links

No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

Tutor

No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

I am not currently an AT&T customer.  If I buy a used iPhone 3GS from EBay, Craig's List, etc., can I then go to AT&T and purchase a voice and data plan paid on a monthly basis without a long-term contractual obligation?

 

If I can, what would be the cost of the non-contractual voice/data plan each month for unlimited data and 450 voice minutes per month?  Also, any activation fees or other misc. fees?

 

My reason for seeking a non-contractual volice/data plan is that I may wish to switch to a different phone and/or plan 6 months from now.

Message Edited by Marose1 on 01-09-2010 09:46:40 PM
123,643 Views
Message 1 of 36
Tutor

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

So I have an unlocked t-mobile blackberry pearl and I want to add it to my ATT family plan for my daughter to use in case of emergency.  It will not be under a contract but ATT told me they will automatically charge me data plan since ATT considers Blackberry a smartphone.  How can a phone carrier do that to an unlocked phone from a competetor?

Message 16 of 36
Master

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

It does not matter where the phone comes from. There policy is across the board. If you want to use a smart phone on their network even if voice only, you must have a data plan. It works that way an many if the carriers.

If you just want a phone with voice, you need to find a traditional dumb phone.

Sorry

_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 17 of 36
Tutor

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

Thanks for the info.  I just got off the chat with ATT representative, I can not even use that phone to buy ATT pre-paid plans!!!

 

I think it is monopoly and another reason merger with T-Mobile should not be approved.

 

Thanks.

Message 18 of 36
Master

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

Not a problem. Consider that before this policy there were folks getting charged for data use even though they only used voice. It can be difficult to truly shut down data on a smart phone. Per use data can get very expensive.

Remember we are just customers like yourself and may not agree with the policy many of us just try to explain what it is.

Good Luck
_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 19 of 36
Former Employee

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

" for my daughter to use in case of emergency."

 

Ok, so why does it have to be a Black Berry smartphone to use "in case of emergency"? There are some very basic phones that you can get for $15-20 or so, perfectly usable "in case of emergency".

Message 20 of 36
Expert

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used


jc5168 wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I just got off the chat with ATT representative, I can not even use that phone to buy ATT pre-paid plans!!!

 

I think it is monopoly and another reason merger with T-Mobile should not be approved.

 

Thanks.



look up the definition of "monopoly" as pertaining to business dealings, it is not one. Becaused the Iphone is availabe via verizon also - and guess what -  it requires a data plan also.

Message 21 of 36
Tutor

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

I don't believe that you have to have a data plan to use voice only on an att smartphone (except possibly the iphone).  I bought a Samsung Captivate used and then bought an ATT simcard with 1000 minutes for 100 dollars (prepay).  I don't have a data plan and my voice plan works fine.

Message 22 of 36
Master

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used


marose01 wrote:

I don't believe that you have to have a data plan to use voice only on an att smartphone (except possibly the iphone).  I bought a Samsung Captivate used and then bought an ATT simcard with 1000 minutes for 100 dollars (prepay).  I don't have a data plan and my voice plan works fine.


Smartphones do not require mandatory data plans on prepaid services. It's why I also have a Samsung Captivate that I am using with no data plan. Smiley Wink

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 23 of 36
Contributor

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

I want to upgrade to a used iphone 4 and use a pay/go plan with talk/text only.  I've read how to just ask for a micro SIM card from ATT and activate it myself at home.  However, an ATT customer service guy at a store told me that it could be set up that way, but then in 30 days ATT would detect an iphone is being used on that SIM card and would stop the service.  Does anyone have experience with this scenerio?  Can ATT detect what phone is being used with the SIM card?

Message 24 of 36
Expert

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used


Leafy79 wrote:

I want to upgrade to a used iphone 4 and use a pay/go plan with talk/text only.  I've read how to just ask for a micro SIM card from ATT and activate it myself at home.  However, an ATT customer service guy at a store told me that it could be set up that way, but then in 30 days ATT would detect an iphone is being used on that SIM card and would stop the service.  Does anyone have experience with this scenerio?  Can ATT detect what phone is being used with the SIM card?



the technology is available, given the number of people that have had data plans added when it was detected as a smartphone it sounds logical.

 

Other point - the iphone is not suported in this manner, while it may work functionality will be hampered and there is no assistance avaialble for issues other then peer forums

Message 25 of 36
Master

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

_____________________________________________________________
Leafy79 wrote:
I want to upgrade to a used iphone 4 and use a pay/go plan with talk/text only.  I've read how to just ask for a micro SIM card from ATT and activate it myself at home.  However, an ATT customer service guy at a store told me that it could be set up that way, but then in
30 days ATT would detect an iphone is being used on that SIM card and would stop the service.  Does anyone have experience with this scenerio?  Can ATT detect what phone is being used with the SIM card?
________________________________________________________________

AT&T can detect which phone is being used from the SIM. The SIM would be registered using the activated phone's IMEI number. But I personally just obtained an iPhone 3GS on Tuesday and I am able to put my prepaid GoPhone SIM card in it and use it back and forth between my iPhone and my Samsung Captivate. It works for me. I am probably able to do this because the IMEI that was activated to my SIM was an LG feature phone, not a smartphone - or an iPhone, for that matter.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 26 of 36
Contributor

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

Interesting.  From the other posts  and other forums I think that activating the SIM card with another phone's IMEI number is the trick. 

 

Regarding a previous post about T-Mobile supporting an iphone with a talk/text pay as you go plan...I asked customer service that question today and they said they do. 

Message 27 of 36
Contributor

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

I am somewhat in the same boat.  My wife got the new 4S and gave me her old 3G for me to try out to see if I want a smartphone.  I don't want to pay for a $25 data plan.  I had an old simple dumbphone previously and swapped out the sim card.  Initially I thought to use it without a data plan but I figured I could try the $15 200MB plan.

 

I called AT&T today and they told me that when I started using the iPhone I would need to get a data plan.  I told them I would like to go month to month and it sounds like that would work as long as I stop using my iPhone.  I figured if I wanted to stop paying for the data plan I could put the sim in my old phone and tell them I was no longer using it.  I have been using the phone for about a week now and nothing has popped up.  I did not tell them I was using the iPhone already.

 

I happened to be close to an AT&T store after I completed my call so I decided to ask someone there.  They basically said the same thing.  They said that AT&T would know I was using the iPhone and send me a text message about the change which has not happened.  If I am somewhere without wifi I am not using data.

 

One thing to add is that when I was using my old phone I asked them a couple of years ago to turn off data to my old dumb phone.  There was a button that from time to time I would accidentally hit which would take me to some AT&T/Samsung (phone brand) browser.  I called AT&T and asked for them to turn off data on that phone so I would not have to pay for X amount of small bytes I might use accidentally.  I am wondering if maybe since I am not using data on my plan if that is why AT&T has not seen that is an iPhone.

 

One last thing, I listen to this podcast/radio show called Leo Laporte and one time a caller called in with this issue.  He did not think it would be a problem and later in his show a person who works an AT&T store called in and basically said you could use an out of contract phone without having a data plan.  This within the past 6 months or so.

Message 28 of 36
Expert

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used


davomartinez wrote:

I am somewhat in the same boat.  My wife got the new 4S and gave me her old 3G for me to try out to see if I want a smartphone.  I don't want to pay for a $25 data plan.  I had an old simple dumbphone previously and swapped out the sim card.  Initially I thought to use it without a data plan but I figured I could try the $15 200MB plan.

 

I called AT&T today and they told me that when I started using the iPhone I would need to get a data plan.  I told them I would like to go month to month and it sounds like that would work as long as I stop using my iPhone.  I figured if I wanted to stop paying for the data plan I could put the sim in my old phone and tell them I was no longer using it.  I have been using the phone for about a week now and nothing has popped up.  I did not tell them I was using the iPhone already.

 

I happened to be close to an AT&T store after I completed my call so I decided to ask someone there.  They basically said the same thing.  They said that AT&T would know I was using the iPhone and send me a text message about the change which has not happened.  If I am somewhere without wifi I am not using data.

 

One thing to add is that when I was using my old phone I asked them a couple of years ago to turn off data to my old dumb phone.  There was a button that from time to time I would accidentally hit which would take me to some AT&T/Samsung (phone brand) browser.  I called AT&T and asked for them to turn off data on that phone so I would not have to pay for X amount of small bytes I might use accidentally.  I am wondering if maybe since I am not using data on my plan if that is why AT&T has not seen that is an iPhone.

 

One last thing, I listen to this podcast/radio show called Leo Laporte and one time a caller called in with this issue.  He did not think it would be a problem and later in his show a person who works an AT&T store called in and basically said you could use an out of contract phone without having a data plan.  This within the past 6 months or so.


fine and good, it appears you are getting away with it for now, just understand that in the future you may recieve a text message stating that you are required to have a data plan and one will be added to your account to bring it into compliance with the carrier's policies - all perfectly legal and acceptable since you are in violation of the agreed terms. No one know what exaclty triggers that but it will happen.

Message 29 of 36
Master

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used


marose01 wrote:

I don't believe that you have to have a data plan to use voice only on an att smartphone (except possibly the iphone).  I bought a Samsung Captivate used and then bought an ATT simcard with 1000 minutes for 100 dollars (prepay).  I don't have a data plan and my voice plan works fine.


Key word here is "prepay". AT&T's prepaid service has never required a data plan even for those that are using a smartphone.

Message 30 of 36
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support