No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

Tutor

No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

I am not currently an AT&T customer.  If I buy a used iPhone 3GS from EBay, Craig's List, etc., can I then go to AT&T and purchase a voice and data plan paid on a monthly basis without a long-term contractual obligation?

If I can, what would be the cost of the non-contractual voice/data plan each month for unlimited data and 450 voice minutes per month?  Also, any activation fees or other misc. fees?

My reason for seeking a non-contractual volice/data plan is that I may wish to switch to a different phone and/or plan 6 months from now.

Message Edited by Marose1 on 01-09-2010 09:46:40 PM
Message 1 of 36
Master

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

Yes you can get a month-2-month contract if you bring your own handset/device.

It would be

$39.99 - 450 Minute Nation Plan

$30.00 - iPhone Data Plan

$36.00 - Activation Fee

_______

$105.99 plus taxes/fees will be on your first full bill plus any days that are pro-rated.

After the first month it would be $69.99 month plus taxes/fees.

Also remember that does not include messaging (just making sure your aware).

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=25390

AT&T Announces New Approach to Early Termination Fees

More Flexibility for Wireless Customers

San Antonio, Texas, March 31, 2008

AT&T (NYSE:T) today announced a new approach to early termination fees (ETFs) that provides greater flexibility for wireless customers.

Beginning on May 25, the company's new and renewing wireless customers who enter into one- or two-year service agreements will no longer be required to pay a single, flat early termination fee. Instead, that fee, which is $175, will be progressively lowered by $5 during each month, every month, for the term of the contract. (The single, flat ETF will continue to apply to new and renewing customers who enter into one- or two-year service agreements prior to May 25.)

The company noted that it continues to offer options for those customers who do not want term commitments or ETFs, including:

* Buy a phone at full price and go on a month-to-month service plan.
* Bring your own compatible GSM device. With this option, you can buy a SIM (subscriber identity module), slip it into the back of the phone, and select a month-to-month service plan.
* Choose one of AT&T's GoPhone prepaid wireless plans.

Message 2 of 36
Professor

Marose1 wrote:

I am not currently an AT&T customer.  If I buy a used iPhone 3GS from EBay, Craig's List, etc., can I then go to AT&T and purchase a voice and data plan paid on a monthly basis without a long-term contractual obligation?

If I can, what would be the cost of the non-contractual voice/data plan each month for unlimited data and 450 voice minutes per month?  Also, any activation fees or other misc. fees?

My reason for seeking a non-contractual volice/data plan is that I may wish to switch to a different phone and/or plan 6 months from now.

Message Edited by Marose1 on 01-09-2010 09:46:40 PM

Yes you can, as Planet-Ed has stated. I will warn you to be very careful when signing the contract. Make sure what you are signing is for month to month and not agreeing to two years. Some reps will try to put you on a two year contract even though you are bringing your own phone. This happened to me when I brought my son and his iPhone into my plan.
Message 3 of 36
Tutor

Thanks for the info guys.  I am debating between outright purchase of the Nexus One from Google ($529) or buying a used iPhone 3GS-16GB ($450-$500).  The T-Mobile monthly unsubsidized Plan (500 min Voice+Data+Text) is $59.99/mo plus $35 activation fee and the AT&T monthly unsubsidized Plan (450 min voice + Data) is $69.99/mo plus $36 activation fee.

I am looking for a monthly unsubsidized plan in case another phone comes out in 6 months that I want -- then I will sell the Nexus One or 3GS or give it to my wife, who will use it for voice and wi-fi without a data plan.  It is my understanding that the wi-fi on the iPhone can not be used without a data plan.  I asked the T-Mobile employee if wi-fi on the Nexus One could be used without a data plan, and he didn't know and said I should check with Google.  He also wasn't absolutely sure that the $59.99 T-Mobile Even More Plus500 Talk+Text+Web Plan was applicable to the Nexus One even though he worked for T-Mobile!

I will now go to Google and ask them if wi-fi can be used on the Nexus One without a data plan to see if I can get a definitive answer.

Message 4 of 36
Professor

Keep in mind that on AT&T and most carriers, a smart phone (iPhone, Blackberry, WinMo, Symbian) REQUIRES a data plan.

There is no option to get it without a data plan.  AT&T will add the data plan to your account if you fail to do so.

Also, on TMO, the 3GS will not work with their 3G network, you will only get EDGE speeds.

Message 5 of 36
Tutor

Thanks for the info.  My wife has a Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic Smart Phone (unsubsidized), and she purchased 1000 minutes for $100 on a T-Mobile sim card.  This works out very well for her, because she doesn't use more than $20 (200 minutes in a month) and the 1000 minutes are good for a year.  Also, she does not have a data plan.
Message Edited by Marose1 on 01-10-2010 01:19:53 PM
Message 6 of 36
Contributor

Same questions here, coming over to the US with a 3Gs and a 3G (probably for a year or so getting the iPhone 4 is not an option...actually $175-$5x12=$115 isn't too bad...anyway)  so it's good to know it's an option. Not available online though ?

Wife is not a big minutes user so maybe the $100 on a T-Mobile sim card would be a good deal for her too, but is there anyway to add data to that, even at Edge speeds ? Did your wife buy a phone and take out the SIM card ?

Message 7 of 36
Contributor

Replying to my own message ;-)

Now on location and I got setup as a matter of urgency with :

- 3G for $25/2Gb/month for my iPad

- T-Mobile 1000 minutes/$100 (valid 12 months) had to get a cheap phone for that

- Google Voice forwarded to Gizmo5 and the T-Mobile cell

Need a second line for my wife but not sure about T-Mobile as the reception is pretty bad at my place both with the cheap Samsung phone and my iPhone 3Gs...Will look into AT&T prepaid now !

Message 8 of 36
Tutor

Is this still an option?  To get a no contract Voice/Data Plan?  I wanted to get a SIM only and get the family plan.  I'm going back to the states and I already have an iphone and HTC Aria (both unlocked) and just need a plan.  I don't see why I should have to sign a contract for 2 years if I already have a phone.  

Message 9 of 36
Mentor

satchev wrote:

Keep in mind that on AT&T and most carriers, a smart phone (iPhone, Blackberry, WinMo, Symbian) REQUIRES a data plan.

There is no option to get it without a data plan.  AT&T will add the data plan to your account if you fail to do so.

Also, on TMO, the 3GS will not work with their 3G network, you will only get EDGE speeds.

Only T-Mobile doesn't force you to have a data plan when you buy a device outright, or bring your own device.  Most carriers require it, and T-Mobile 3G will not work on an iPhone like you said.

The catch is often than not most people are not always by wifi, and without wifi/data connection most of the features outside of calling and text will not work.

Message 10 of 36
Expert

Tidbits wrote:

satchev wrote:

Only T-Mobile doesn't force you to have a data plan when you buy a device outright, or bring your own device.  Most carriers require it, and T-Mobile 3G will not work on an iPhone like you said.

The catch is often than not most people are not always by wifi, and without wifi/data connection most of the features outside of calling and text will not work.

not sure that is possible anymore, seem to  rememebr seeing where t-mobile has dropped that feature awhile back

Message 11 of 36
ACE - Professor

Marose1 wrote:

Thanks for the info guys.  I am debating between outright purchase of the Nexus One from Google ($529) or buying a used iPhone 3GS-16GB ($450-$500).  The T-Mobile monthly unsubsidized Plan (500 min Voice+Data+Text) is $59.99/mo plus $35 activation fee and the AT&T monthly unsubsidized Plan (450 min voice + Data) is $69.99/mo plus $36 activation fee.

I am looking for a monthly unsubsidized plan in case another phone comes out in 6 months that I want -- then I will sell the Nexus One or 3GS or give it to my wife, who will use it for voice and wi-fi without a data plan.  It is my understanding that the wi-fi on the iPhone can not be used without a data plan.  I asked the T-Mobile employee if wi-fi on the Nexus One could be used without a data plan, and he didn't know and said I should check with Google.  He also wasn't absolutely sure that the $59.99 T-Mobile Even More Plus500 Talk+Text+Web Plan was applicable to the Nexus One even though he worked for T-Mobile!

I will now go to Google and ask them if wi-fi can be used on the Nexus One without a data plan to see if I can get a definitive answer.

As others have pointed out, on AT&T

* you can get a month to month sim-only plan

* ALL smartphones (so, in your case, either the iPhone 3GS or whatever Android phone you pick) requre a seperate data plan of some sort.

* new lines of service (including sim cards) have an activation fee.

Looks like you figured in the voice & data ($39 for voice, $30 for data) but have no texting included (an additional $10-20, for 1000/unlimited, or 20 cents each)

If you want to get the lowest bill and will use wifi for most of your data, you can drop to the 200MB data plan and cut $15 off.

If you go with TMobile with an iPhone, you'll only get Edge for data speeds.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 36
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

satchev wrote:

not sure that is possible anymore, seem to  rememebr seeing where t-mobile has dropped that feature awhile back

Still works that way. Smiley Happy  What they did was require a data plan if you take subsidization for the device.  Just have to pay full retail or bring your own for it not to have a data plan  attached.

Message 13 of 36
Expert

Tidbits wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

satchev wrote:

Still works that way. Smiley Happy  What they did was require a data plan if you take subsidization for the device.  Just have to pay full retail or bring your own for it not to have a data plan  attached.

could have sworn that ws discontinued earlier this year, in any respect, suspect that that will change in about 6 months or so

Message 14 of 36
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

could have sworn that ws discontinued earlier this year, in any respect, suspect that that will change in about 6 months or so

No, T-Mobile still offers smartphone use without the data plan, as long as the phone is not subsidized.  T-Mobile is supposedly coming out with new plans at the end of this month that will make this option "clearer".  However, from what I have seen of the plans, they are even more confusing than the current offering, which I didn't think was possible.

Message 15 of 36
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support