No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

Tutor

No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

[ Edited ]

I am not currently an AT&T customer.  If I buy a used iPhone 3GS from EBay, Craig's List, etc., can I then go to AT&T and purchase a voice and data plan paid on a monthly basis without a long-term contractual obligation?

If I can, what would be the cost of the non-contractual voice/data plan each month for unlimited data and 450 voice minutes per month?  Also, any activation fees or other misc. fees?

My reason for seeking a non-contractual volice/data plan is that I may wish to switch to a different phone and/or plan 6 months from now.

Message Edited by Marose1 on 01-09-2010 09:46:40 PM
Message 1 of 36 (123,543 Views)
Master

Re: No Contract AT&T Voice/Data Plan for iPhone purchased used

Leafy79 wrote:

I want to upgrade to a used iphone 4 and use a pay/go plan with talk/text only.  I've read how to just ask for a micro SIM card from ATT and activate it myself at home.  However, an ATT customer service guy at a store told me that it could be set up that way, but then in 30 days ATT would detect an iphone is being used on that SIM card and would stop the service.  Does anyone have experience with this scenerio?  Can ATT detect what phone is being used with the SIM card?

You are referring to using an iPhone on prepaid, and yes this can be done. My daughter is using my old iPhone 3GS on prepaid. She's been using it for almost a year and AT&T hasn't deactivated her SIM card yet.

Message 31 of 36 (3,351 Views)
Master

Leafy79 wrote:

Interesting.  From the other posts  and other forums I think that activating the SIM card with another phone's IMEI number is the trick. 

Regarding a previous post about T-Mobile supporting an iphone with a talk/text pay as you go plan...I asked customer service that question today and they said they do. 

Yes, T-Mobile does support the iPhone on their prepaid service, however, one thing to keep in mind if you use the iPhone for data is that you are any going to get EDGE speeds on T-Mobiles network, as the iPhone does not support their 3G frequencies.

Message 32 of 36 (3,351 Views)
Professor

Irish Rose wrote:

Leafy79 wrote:

Interesting.  From the other posts  and other forums I think that activating the SIM card with another phone's IMEI number is the trick. 

Regarding a previous post about T-Mobile supporting an iphone with a talk/text pay as you go plan...I asked customer service that question today and they said they do. 

Yes, T-Mobile does support the iPhone on their prepaid service, however, one thing to keep in mind if you use the iPhone for data is that you are any going to get EDGE speeds on T-Mobiles network, as the iPhone does not support their 3G frequencies.

Leafy was discussing the talk/text pay as you go plan.  Data speeds wouldn't matter in that situation.

Message 33 of 36 (3,344 Views)
Master

21stNow wrote:
Leafy was discussing the talk/text pay as you go plan.  Data speeds wouldn't matter in that situation.

My bad. Yeah, I see that now. 

Message 34 of 36 (3,341 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a very interesting thread and I was wondering about what prepay plan everyone is referring to.  The GoPhone plans have your information but seems to be the only prepaid plans I can find ($25 and $50/mo).  I too am interested in only talk/text without using a "dumbphone".  Could anyone, perhaps Irish Rose, be so kind as to link the type of plan they use.  I would be greatly indebted.  Thank you.

Message 35 of 36 (3,249 Views)
Highlighted
Master

I use the $.10-minute Simple Plan for all voice calls. Along with this, I use unlimited messaging for $19.99 per month. My phone bill is only $25 per month.

I am using both a Samsung Captivate and an iPhone 3GS with my GoPhone plan.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 36 of 36 (3,239 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.