No 3G after 4.2.1 upgrade on 3gs phone

Mentor

No 3G after 4.2.1 upgrade on 3gs phone

I have seen several problems on this upgrade,  I have to turn 3G off to text, call and receive calls.  anyone else have this problem?  I saw it on some other message boards.  Please help if you can, I have tried everything.  Never had ANY kind of issues with service.  Now it drops at least 5 calls a day.

Message 1 of 26 (4,672 Views)
Master

Re: No 3G after 4.2.1 upgrade on 3gs phone

Reset your network settings.....Settings>General>reset>reset network settings.

This is not normal.  If this does not work, a new SIM from ATT could be in order.  They should not charge you for a new SIM for this type of issue.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 26 (4,648 Views)
Professor

It is possible that there are simply 3G network issues in your area.

Are others on AT&T having issues with their 3G service?

Message 3 of 26 (4,635 Views)
Mentor

Wife has BB Bold 9700, 3G works fine.  I have reset every possible thing and it still is either "No Service" or shows bars and 3G but will no dial out, text or receive calls.  Data does work though, but not nearly as fast as normal.  I upgraded on 12/23/2010.  Have had the problem ever since.

Message 4 of 26 (4,632 Views)
Guru

I would get a new sim card

Message 5 of 26 (4,612 Views)
Mentor

I will try that tomorrow, any other suggestions out there?

Message 6 of 26 (4,586 Views)
Guru

contact att via 611 and see if theres a possibility of towers being out.
Other than that get a new sim.

If that doesnt help trade your iphone for another one

Message 7 of 26 (4,563 Views)
Mentor

yeah. I called 611 on the 29th and all they said to do was master reset, then said if that doesn't work it might be a warranty issue, even though i've had the phone since they came out

Message 8 of 26 (4,551 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

ya i know what you mean.

With a master reset, what they should have said was wipe the phone and dont use a BACKUP. 

The only problem is if you dont have those contacts saved to the sim, you would need to back them up first to the sim card before you wipe the phone

Message 9 of 26 (4,550 Views)
Master

iFrosty wrote:

ya i know what you mean.

With a master reset, what they should have said was wipe the phone and dont use a BACKUP. 

The only problem is if you dont have those contacts saved to the sim, you would need to back them up first to the sim card before you wipe the phone

Unless I missed something, iPhones allow you to copy contacts from the SIM to the iPHone but do not have a way to copy contacts to the SIM.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Message 10 of 26 (4,519 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

No you havent missed anything. What i was saying is that before she did a complete wipe that she/he hopefully has the contacts on the sim already. Also if they go to get a new sim, make sure the contacts are transfered before so then you can reset the phone completely; not from a backup

Message 11 of 26 (3,413 Views)
Professor

iFrosty wrote:

No you havent missed anything. What i was saying is that before she did a complete wipe that she/he hopefully has the contacts on the sim already. Also if they go to get a new sim, make sure the contacts are transfered before so then you can reset the phone completely; not from a backup

Why?  SIM contacts are extremely limited.  The iPhone is designed to sync contacts with applications like Outlook or an exchange server.  Why would anyone want to deal with contacts on a SIM?

Restoring contacts that have been synced to a supported application does not require restoring a backup to the iPhone.

Message 12 of 26 (3,383 Views)
Guru

its easier that way?

Plus if they have to get a new phone the contacts are already on the sim. They would either just have to get them transfered or get a microsim adapter to make it like a regular sim card again. 

Message 13 of 26 (3,368 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

I would agree that the contacts on the SIM are extremely limited.  In the beginning of GSM, it was a great concept.  Have everything about your mobile identity on a card that can easily be moved from one phone to another.  While part of that concept is still true, phones and the newer OS's have made it such that the SIM contacts and other features are not as critical as it use to be.  In the past, changing out a SIM was a big deal; contacts, SMS messages, and other goodies.  Today.....It is an important chip to make the connection with the wireless network that can be easily swapped.

I personally still like the concept of the SIM, I just wish the association had allowed it to evolve to truly be the mobile identify module it was meant to be.

To the OP, sorry for the deviation.  Please continue to let us know how your issue is going, are your problems solved?  This information is helpful for others in the future who might have the same/similar problem.

Message 14 of 26 (3,367 Views)
Mentor

On my way to get a new SIM now.  I dont think it will work, but if they give me a new phone that would be pretty sweet!!

Message 15 of 26 (3,339 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.