No 3G after 4.2.1 upgrade on 3gs phone

Mentor

No 3G after 4.2.1 upgrade on 3gs phone

I have seen several problems on this upgrade,  I have to turn 3G off to text, call and receive calls.  anyone else have this problem?  I saw it on some other message boards.  Please help if you can, I have tried everything.  Never had ANY kind of issues with service.  Now it drops at least 5 calls a day.

Message 1 of 26 (4,676 Views)
Professor

Re: No 3G after 4.2.1 upgrade on 3gs phone

My friends phone is having exactly the same issue. I've done everything short of replacing the SIM, waiting to see how yours goes.

Message 16 of 26 (3,323 Views)
Professor

iFrosty wrote:

its easier that way?

Plus if they have to get a new phone the contacts are already on the sim. They would either just have to get them transfered or get a microsim adapter to make it like a regular sim card again. 

Considering the iPhone has no ability to save or transfer any info to the SIM, yes, it is easier.

What is really so difficult about either plugging in your iPhone to your computer and syncing or setting up an Exchange account to sync?

For me, it makes much more sense to manage my contacts either via Outlook or MobileMe than on a mobile device.  To each their own though...

Message 17 of 26 (3,314 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

we both have valid points and i dont disagree with yours. I just look at it from a perspective were if Hypothetically the iphone died and they had to use a non-smartphone, they would have the contacts already to go.

Now if they got another iphone or an android, then they have both options available Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 26 (3,311 Views)
Mentor

Well, they replaced the SIM at the AT&T store and 3G would not work there.  On my way home I tried it again and it took about 5 minutes then I was able to call out and text while on 3G, but it has been VERY intermittent   The rep at the store told me to call 1800-my-iphone to schedule an appointment at the apple store in Indianapolis.  Has anyone ever been there for service?

Message 19 of 26 (3,300 Views)
Master

dmoran8931 wrote:

Well, they replaced the SIM at the AT&T store and 3G would not work there.  On my way home I tried it again and it took about 5 minutes then I was able to call out and text while on 3G, but it has been VERY intermittent   The rep at the store told me to call 1800-my-iphone to schedule an appointment at the apple store in Indianapolis.  Has anyone ever been there for service?

Not at that store, but they will definately take care of you!  They have the ability to swap out your iPhone and ensure you leave with a working iPhone. http://www.apple.com/retail

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 20 of 26 (3,297 Views)
Mentor

Would they swap it out even though it is out of warranty?

Message 21 of 26 (3,134 Views)
Master

dmoran8931 wrote:

Would they swap it out even though it is out of warranty?

That one is tough?  Apple's service is great.  It all depends upon the Genius you meet with.  Just be polite, do not get upset at what they tell you if you do not like the answer, they may need to involve a manager so anything you can do to get them working for you will help the cause.......  If they cannot do the swap for you under warranty, they will tell you what options you have.

Good Luck!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 22 of 26 (3,117 Views)
Mentor

Well, no luck at the Genius Bar!  They did tell me they had some software issues, though.  Didn't even offer a discount on a new phone.  Guess I am stuck with EDGE network till I can upgrade.  Has anyone rolled back the software upgrade before?

Message 23 of 26 (3,059 Views)
Professor

dmoran8931 wrote:

Well, no luck at the Genius Bar!  They did tell me they had some software issues, though.  Didn't even offer a discount on a new phone.  Guess I am stuck with EDGE network till I can upgrade.  Has anyone rolled back the software upgrade before?

There are no official ways to roll back the software. 

If it were officially possible, the baseband would likely stay the same version, which could create additional issues.

There are those that claim they can revert to a previous version, but this requires jailbreaking the device.  Discussion of jailbreaking is prohibitted here.

You might try a google search to see if you can find the information you desire.

That being said, if it is a software issue, reloading the iOS should correct the issue.  Unless by software issue they meant a bug in the code.  I find it unlikely that there is a bug preventing you from accessing the 3G network.  If there was, I would expect to see many, many more users reporting it, myself included.

I personally have not experienced any issues with my 3GS since upgrading that are related to the upgrade.

Message 24 of 26 (3,037 Views)
Mentor

I have a Jailbroke phone so I know about that.  This one is a "virgin" 3gs.  Phone support offered me an out of warranty deal for $199 for the same 3GS 16GB phone.  Not a bad deal considering I could sell it in a few months and get a 4 when I am eligible for an upgrade.

Message 25 of 26 (3,030 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

Plus you cant jailbreak 4.2.1 yet with windows, So that is out of the question

Message 26 of 26 (3,028 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support