Nexus S

Professor

Nexus S

I looked and looked, couldn't find any discussions on the Nexus S. I'm wondering, will it work with ATT 3G? I did a little research with GSM World, and I don't think it will work with ATTs 3G. Does anyone else have a take on this?

I was really hoping to give this one a shot, but I can't do it without 3G on ATT.

Message 1 of 24 (20,552 Views)
Contributor

Re: Nexus S

Any luck? Does it work on 3G, and how well?

Message 16 of 24 (7,030 Views)
Scholar

charley1g wrote:

I bought a Nexus S today. I was informed It will do 3G, but you have to prove you paid full price & T-Mobile will then release the phone so it can access ATT 3g bands. It will take 24 hours to go through.

That doesnt sound logical.  The phone is sold unlocked.  There is nothing for Tmobile to release.  On ATT it will be on Edge.  But with ATT's sparse 3G coverage, a lot of people are used to that already.

I put an ATT sim in one and it ran as expected on Edge.

This phone will not be popular in the US since Tmobile is such a small carrier; and having to run on ATT on Edge will be a tough sell.   But it may do well in other countries especially where the nfc tech is way ahead of the usa.

Message 17 of 24 (6,822 Views)
Scholar

If that's true, then it's very much like the Samsung Vibrant on T-Mobile which will work with ATT 3G bands. Don't know how, but I've seen plenty of discussion about it.
Message 18 of 24 (6,552 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Another top notch phone that's passing AT&T on by, while AT&T picks the absolute worst peices of garbage to carry. It's probably because none of the manufacturers want their pride and joy flagship phones to have their name soiled by AT&T's patheticly awful network.

What a joke AT&T is. 

Message 19 of 24 (6,303 Views)
Expert

MikeyMike01 wrote:

Another top notch phone that's passing AT&T on by, while AT&T picks the absolute worst peices of garbage to carry. It's probably because none of the manufacturers want their pride and joy flagship phones to have their name soiled by AT&T's patheticly awful network.

What a joke AT&T is. 

so speaks on that has no idea at all of corporate contracts and business dealings.

Message 20 of 24 (6,283 Views)
Teacher

charley1g wrote:

I bought a Nexus S today. I was informed It will do 3G, but you have to prove you paid full price & T-Mobile will then release the phone so it can access ATT 3g bands. It will take 24 hours to go through.

Any confirmation on this? I own an unlocked Nexus S. The phone is great. No 3g (just like the specs listed), but I read rumors around the net saying it has hidden bands or possibly can be unlocked in a similar fashion that the Vibrant did.

Message 21 of 24 (5,293 Views)
Master

No, this is incorrect.  There are no hidden bands on the phone, and there's nothing T-Mobile can do that will make the phone 3G-capable on AT&T.  The phone's specs page indicate it doesn't have the proper UMTS bands.  

kirked247 wrote:

charley1g wrote:

Any confirmation on this? I own an unlocked Nexus S. The phone is great. No 3g (just like the specs listed), but I read rumors around the net saying it has hidden bands or possibly can be unlocked in a similar fashion that the Vibrant did.

Message 22 of 24 (5,287 Views)
Contributor

I was misinformed. The Phone will only do 3g on T-Mobile. I sent mine back. Loved the phone but without ATT 3G it's not for me.d

Message 23 of 24 (4,933 Views)
Contributor

Sorry about the misspelling. I went back to My NezusOne. It works great on ATT. the Nexus S does not have the 850 or 1900 bands for ATT 3G. I've had good to great service on ATT. The only time I had  problems was when I had an Apple 3G.

Message 24 of 24 (4,926 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.