Helpful Links

Nexus One Face Plant

Scholar

Nexus One Face Plant

So with my tough case still en route, my phone got over anxious and jumped over the fence and fell probly 15' glass side down on to concrete. I looked around and discovered that I can get a new screen for $80+shipping, and I saw a few places offering to repair it for $130-$200 PLUS shipping BOTH ways.

My phone is only a week or so old so my Square Trade Accidental Coverage does not kick in (30 delay on that), so I called Google up to see what options they offer, and they of course hand me off to HTC. Hand off went very smoothly, and I got "Lisa" at HTC. She told me that if my personal diagnoses is correct (only the glass is damaged, the phone still works 100% perfectly, even the touch screen), that it will be $115 TOTAL including shipping/taxes to fix, and my warranty will stay valid. 

Soooo I could pay someone else A LOT MORE to fix it and void my warranty, or have it done by HTC for cheaper... and keep my warranty... hmm let me think on that a bit LOL. Even if I fixed it my self it run me almost as much and void my warranty. 
So its going back to HTC on Tuesday when my local FedEx dudes are re-open. 

Oh, it took this picutre on the way down LOL

bigger: http://twitpic.com/1s9q1h

Here is a shot of the damage...

Bigger: http://twitpic.com/1t0b2i

Message 1 of 22

Re: Nexus One Face Plant

i think there was foul play. i think apple hired a hitman to take out your google device

Message 2 of 22
Scholar

street_peddler wrote:

i think there was foul play. i think apple hired a hitman to take out your google device

Me too!!! Wonder if I can prove that enough to sue for emotional distress.... 

Message 3 of 22
Guru

Wow! That sucks...did HTC give you a turn around time?
Message 4 of 22
Scholar

davidusr wrote:
Wow! That sucks...did HTC give you a turn around time?

Not yet. I am waiting for the Fedex label to arrive with instructions. On saturday they told me it would come in "24 business hours" so I assume that means today or tomorrow.

BTW my tough case is finally here, and it has a big enough rubber lip around the glass that I might have been safe. Ah well... 

Message 5 of 22
Guru

I have the case mate thing for my N1
It works well
Message 6 of 22
Guru

I called last night due to a charger port issue and they told me 5-7 business days for turn around. I went with the warranty exchange. They ship me a phone and i send mine back, but they put a $529 hold on my card until they get the phone back and make sure there's no damage to the phone. Fair enough.
Message 7 of 22
Guru

is this what your case looks like?

case to the left

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/MatrixDark8/photo.jpg

Message 8 of 22
Guru

Does it have a hole for the Michael on the back?
Message 9 of 22
Guru

davidusr wrote:
Does it have a hole for the Michael on the back?

uhhh what????

it has a camer hole for the cam and the flash
a hole for the speaker
and a hole for the noise cancelation

Message 10 of 22
Scholar

WEll I just got the Fedex label now, so I will probably send it on Monday, no sense in it sitting in a box at Fedex all weekend... 

Message 11 of 22
Guru

I edited to say Mic. The And auto spell changes mic to Michael.
Message 12 of 22
Guru

It also changes N1 to And. Grr!
Message 13 of 22
Scholar

VydorScope wrote:

BTW my tough case is finally here, and it has a big enough rubber lip around the glass that I might have been safe. Ah well... 

I'm pretty sure you'd be right about that. The simple silicon skin on my iPod touch (same kinda lip over/around the screen) has prevented any and all damage during the three or four spills it's taken thru the last two years, some of them were from up to 4 feet high and it landed flat on it's screen at 'least once... Tho I usually manage to cushion it somewhat w/my leg/foot at 'least.

Still tho, the cases definitely help. You might not think they absorb a lot of the impact either but they definitely do, and iPod touch doesn't bounce w/o a case, it just smashes into the ground (unless it's going fast enough, then the first bounce probably kills it anyway!). With a silicon skin it almost seems to roll away after it falls.

I didn't wanna put a case on my next Android phone but after dropping my iPod a few times recently I'll probably end up doing so, it's worth the lil' bit extra bulk and occasional difficulty in slipping it out of a pocket. You get used to it.

Message 14 of 22
Scholar

Well I can definitely say the Case-Mate tough case seems like a great case. I have test dropped it a few times and it seems a lot a safer. 

Message 15 of 22
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support