Ask a question

Posted Jun 1, 2010
    7:10:11 AM
    View profile
    Nexus One Face Plant
    Edited by VydorScope on Jun 1, 2010 at 7:11:06 AM

So with my tough case still en route, my phone got over anxious and jumped over the fence and fell probly 15' glass side down on to concrete. I looked around and discovered that I can get a new screen for $80+shipping, and I saw a few places offering to repair it for $130-$200 PLUS shipping BOTH ways.

My phone is only a week or so old so my Square Trade Accidental Coverage does not kick in (30 delay on that), so I called Google up to see what options they offer, and they of course hand me off to HTC. Hand off went very smoothly, and I got "Lisa" at HTC. She told me that if my personal diagnoses is correct (only the glass is damaged, the phone still works 100% perfectly, even the touch screen), that it will be $115 TOTAL including shipping/taxes to fix, and my warranty will stay valid. 

Soooo I could pay someone else A LOT MORE to fix it and void my warranty, or have it done by HTC for cheaper... and keep my warranty... hmm let me think on that a bit LOL. Even if I fixed it my self it run me almost as much and void my warranty. 
    So its going back to HTC on Tuesday when my local FedEx dudes are re-open. 

Oh, it took this picutre on the way down LOL

bigger: http://twitpic.com/1s9q1h

Here is a shot of the damage...

Bigger: http://twitpic.com/1t0b2i

Nexus One Face Plant

[ Edited ]
    21 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (21)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 1, 2010 7:43:42 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

i think there was foul play. i think apple hired a hitman to take out your google device

Re: Nexus One Face Plant

2 of 22 (2,799 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 1, 2010 7:54:13 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

street_peddler wrote:

i think there was foul play. i think apple hired a hitman to take out your google device

Me too!!! Wonder if I can prove that enough to sue for emotional distress.... 

3 of 22 (2,793 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 1, 2010 10:41:01 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    Wow! That sucks...did HTC give you a turn around time?

4 of 22 (2,763 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 1, 2010 11:36:42 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

davidusr wrote:
    Wow! That sucks...did HTC give you a turn around time?

Not yet. I am waiting for the Fedex label to arrive with instructions. On saturday they told me it would come in "24 business hours" so I assume that means today or tomorrow.

BTW my tough case is finally here, and it has a big enough rubber lip around the glass that I might have been safe. Ah well... 

5 of 22 (2,748 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 1, 2010 9:54:43 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    I have the case mate thing for my N1
    It works well

6 of 22 (2,695 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 2, 2010 2:39:19 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    I called last night due to a charger port issue and they told me 5-7 business days for turn around. I went with the warranty exchange. They ship me a phone and i send mine back, but they put a $529 hold on my card until they get the phone back and make sure there's no damage to the phone. Fair enough.

7 of 22 (2,622 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 3, 2010 1:51:17 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    Edited by iFrosty on Jun 3, 2010 at 1:53:25 PM

is this what your case looks like?

case to the left

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/MatrixDark8/photo.jpg

[ Edited ]
    8 of 22 (2,529 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 3, 2010 2:15:06 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    Does it have a hole for the Michael on the back?

9 of 22 (2,518 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 3, 2010 2:36:46 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    Edited by iFrosty on Jun 3, 2010 at 2:37:45 PM

davidusr wrote:
    Does it have a hole for the Michael on the back?

uhhh what????

it has a camer hole for the cam and the flash
    a hole for the speaker
    and a hole for the noise cancelation

[ Edited ]
    10 of 22 (2,515 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 3, 2010 6:09:32 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

WEll I just got the Fedex label now, so I will probably send it on Monday, no sense in it sitting in a box at Fedex all weekend... 

11 of 22 (1,828 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 3, 2010 7:09:52 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    I edited to say Mic. The And auto spell changes mic to Michael.

12 of 22 (1,824 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 3, 2010 7:10:45 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    It also changes N1 to And. Grr!

13 of 22 (1,823 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 4, 2010 1:15:55 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

VydorScope wrote:

BTW my tough case is finally here, and it has a big enough rubber lip around the glass that I might have been safe. Ah well... 

I'm pretty sure you'd be right about that. The simple silicon skin on my iPod touch (same kinda lip over/around the screen) has prevented any and all damage during the three or four spills it's taken thru the last two years, some of them were from up to 4 feet high and it landed flat on it's screen at 'least once... Tho I usually manage to cushion it somewhat w/my leg/foot at 'least.

Still tho, the cases definitely help. You might not think they absorb a lot of the impact either but they definitely do, and iPod touch doesn't bounce w/o a case, it just smashes into the ground (unless it's going fast enough, then the first bounce probably kills it anyway!). With a silicon skin it almost seems to roll away after it falls.

I didn't wanna put a case on my next Android phone but after dropping my iPod a few times recently I'll probably end up doing so, it's worth the lil' bit extra bulk and occasional difficulty in slipping it out of a pocket. You get used to it.

14 of 22 (1,775 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 4, 2010 4:54:16 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Well I can definitely say the Case-Mate tough case seems like a great case. I have test dropped it a few times and it seems a lot a safer. 

15 of 22 (1,752 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 4, 2010 8:12:23 PM
    (0)
    Guru

VydorScope wrote:

Well I can definitely say the Case-Mate tough case seems like a great case. I have test dropped it a few times and it seems a lot a safer. 

LOL...use the damaged N1 for testing...good idea!

16 of 22 (1,741 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2010 10:38:03 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

WEll update, I handed the phone to Fedex yesterday morning. Fedex delievered it to "Sue" at HTC at about 930am today. At 1:07pm they sent me an email saying they completed their diagnostic and determined the screen was broken. They issued me 2 options... 

1) Do nothing, they send the phone back and bill me $28 for diagnostic

2) Pay $115 and they fix the phone and send it back to me. 

They are covering FedEx shipping in both directions as part of this. So I told them to fix it (duh, why you think I sent it it? LOL) to day at 130pm. I'll update again when they ship so that everyone can see how slow/fast/great/bad this turns out... 

17 of 22 (1,667 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2010 10:50:43 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

I could have given you that diagnosis for free, lol.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

18 of 22 (1,659 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 10, 2010 8:03:34 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Just received notification from Fedex that my Nexus one is on its way back, standard overnight shipping!!!

19 of 22 (1,602 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 10, 2010 9:04:31 PM
    (0)
    Guru

Somewhat off topic...but not totally

Charge port on my N1 started acting goofy...had to wiggle the charge plug a little to get the charge cycle going, with 3 different chargers.

Called Google support, they handed me to HTC after some troubleshooting.

HTC took my CC info and sent me another phone. I get the new phone, after being on for about 10 mins it rebooted itself. I shrugged it off thinking maybe an update occurred while I wasn't looking. The next day, I took it from my pocket, it was off. I again shrugged it off thinking I might have accidentally turned it off. Would be kind of hard to do accidentally, but possible.

A little later I was surfing with the N1, it rebooted as it was loading phonedogs website. Now its all coming together...the original reboot and it being off in my pocket. Over the next day, the auto-reboots came more and more often. I called Google back, he had me factory reset it, as it was rebooting after the reset, it auto-booted again, with the rep on the phone. He sends me to HTC, HTC starts to process another exchange, then tells me he can't do another swap until the original ticket clears. I was somewhat miffed. But, what could I do. I even offered to let them put another $529 hold on my card, on top of the current one. I had just sent the original phone back that day, which was Monday. Today, the ticket finally cleared, another phone should be on its way, although, I haven't received tracking info, so I probably wont see it till Monday. Meanwhile, I went to AT&T and used an upgrade to get a phone to hold me over...a Palm Pre Plus. WebOS is cool, but the phone is slllooooww compared to the N1.

Here's hoping N1 #3 is a good one!

20 of 22 (1,595 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 11, 2010 12:00:47 AM
    (0)
    Master

street_peddler wrote:

There is no way you can prove my whereabouts at the time of the "accident" Smiley Wink

21 of 22 (1,266 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 11, 2010 2:18:39 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Its back! 

It is the same phone, cause the MAC address is the same, but it looks like they must have replaced the entire outer case cause the nicks from the fall are gone! Job very well done, done fast, and with out any hassle!

22 of 22 (1,232 Views)