Nextel customer thinking of switching to AT&T PTT

Contributor

Nextel customer thinking of switching to AT&T PTT

I am a Nextel customer & I am thinking of switching to AT&T. Does the PTT service with AT&T work like Nextel's? We love using the walkie talkie feature. Does AT&T's PTT also work like a walklie talkie? Meaning you can use the speaker to talk?
Message 1 of 29
Master

Re: Nextel customer thinking of switching to AT&T PTT

aDiva wrote:
I am a Nextel customer & I am thinking of switching to AT&T. Does the PTT service with AT&T work like Nextel's? We love using the walkie talkie feature. Does AT&T's PTT also work like a walklie talkie? Meaning you can use the speaker to talk?

Currently, you can only do Push To Talk within Cingular.  So you cannot do push to talk with Nextel or any other provider.  If your main purpose to switch is the whole push to talk and you have more friends on Nextel, maybe stick to Nextel.  You won't be able to push to talk with your friends on Nextel.

Not sure about the whole walkie talkie and speaker thing. 
Message 2 of 29
Contributor

My Husband & I actually use Nextel PTT (walkie talkie) just to speak with eachother. All of our families use AT&T for cell phone service but not PTT. I was hoping to get more responses.

Is there anyone who used to be a Nextel customer & is now a AT&T PTT user?

I am thinking I am going to have to go down to a store & ask for a demonstration.
Message 3 of 29
tod
Contributor

Our company just switched to Att ptt and we in the field can't stand it. Nextel is far better. We can't here when someone beeps us and the signal is awful. where's my nextel ???? please come back!!!
Message 4 of 29
Contributor

Thanks for telling me about your experience. We haven't switched yet & now after hearing how bad AT&T is compared to Nextel I am not sure if we will.
Message 5 of 29
Scholar

The Push to Talk feature for AT&T is excellent!!!  All of the PTT capable phones on the AT&T network are also bluetooth capable, so if you are waering a headset, bluetooth or otherwise, you can still hear the warning sound first.  This allows you to either accept or reject the call prior to responding.  Obviously it works nationwide and unlike nextel and boost mobile, you can actually understand the call as well as the entire conversation.  If all of your family has ptt capable phones, try it and i am sure that you will come to love it as i have.  in addition, convincing other family members will not be that hard once they see it done and how well it functions.  My main gripe it the cost involved and the fact that it is no longer advertised by AT&T via commercial or in their stores.  Once the cost goes away, you will really start to see more people move toward using it.  As of right now, the main push is to get business users to use the feature as that is money in the pockets of AT&T.  Nevertheless, use the service with the family and you will see the benefit.
Message 6 of 29
Mentor

AT&T has free mobile to mobile. Way pay $20.00 for PTT when you have the other service for free?

Message 7 of 29
Mentor

TRUE TRUE!!
Message 8 of 29
Teacher

To communicate among family members, the service works great.  You have the benefit over Nextel of having better coverage, cooler phones, and more functionality within PTT.  Yes, it takes a bit longer to setup the call, but once it's established, it's as quick as Nextel.  Does it really make much difference if your wife hears "What's for dinner?" immediately versus a few seconds after you say it? 

It also works great for businesses, the only exception would be emergency response type of applications.  In that case, it may not be as good as Nextel, although their coverage may be a problem in and of itself, but it's better than regular dialing.
Message 9 of 29

Well they could improve a couple things:
1.) Speed of the 1st connection is 10-15 seconds for the push to talk call to be set up which is equivalent to a phone call. The advantage of course is being able to send an audio message without dialing however it is a far cry from a walkie-talkie.
2.)Transmissions at times are lost and are never sent through.
3.)The timing of the roger beeps does not seem to correspond to  whether or not you have sucessfully transmiited. Sometimes you hold the ptt button wait for the beep start talking and then recieve another beep letting you know that possibly you just wasted your breathe. I suppose the other party could be trying to comeback but still there is no clear indicator if your transmission will be successful or if you are connected. Sometimes the device just beeps and fails to transmit.
4)Convert to Cellular calls are poorer audio quality than regular phone calls.
5.)One instance I actually heard another conversation from another party-got some wires crossed.
6)In order for PTT to be a business solution it needs to be more reliable.
Message 10 of 29

Sorry to come back again, but I just wanted to clarify a few points. We used to have Nextel, Ready Link and AT&T PTT.

1. Sprint-Nextel has poor coverage, is on the verge of being bought out, and has poor customer service.
2. Nextel IDEN two-ways communicate quickly, and reliably with a solid connection when in coverage. Ready-Link is slow and delayed because it uses the internet to transmit your voice. QCHAT is on the way to combine Direct Connect and Ready Link.
3. AT&T has the best voice coverage with few or no dropped calls and helpful customer service reps.
4. AT&T PTT is slow, delayed and unreliable-It also like Ready Link transmits over the internet.
5. An AT&T phone call takes the same amount of time as setting up a PTT conversation and it is much cheaper----HOWEVER.......
HOWEVER-You are much better off with just regular AT&T cell phone coverage. Your PTT craving will dissipate. Instead you will have good clear calls and roll over minutes. If you need PTT use Nextel or Boost Mobile only. I think AT&T will improve thier PTT sometime, but for now be satisfied with good clear AT&T phone calls.

Message Edited by franzjoseph22 on 03-10-2008 06:54:16 PM
Message 11 of 29
Scholar

franzjoseph22 wrote:
Sorry to come back again, but I just wanted to clarify a few points. We used to have Nextel, Ready Link and AT&T PTT.

1. Sprint-Nextel has poor coverage, is on the verge of being bought out, and has poor customer service.
2. Nextel IDEN two-ways communicate quickly, and reliably with a solid connection when in coverage. Ready-Link is slow and delayed because it uses the internet to transmit your voice. QCHAT is on the way to combine Direct Connect and Ready Link.
3. AT&T has the best voice coverage with few or no dropped calls and helpful customer service reps.
4. AT&T PTT is slow, delayed and unreliable-It also like Ready Link transmits over the internet.
5. An AT&T phone call takes the same amount of time as setting up a PTT conversation and it is much cheaper----HOWEVER.......
HOWEVER-You are much better off with just regular AT&T cell phone coverage. Your PTT craving will dissipate. Instead you will have good clear calls and roll over minutes. If you need PTT use Nextel or Boost Mobile only. I think AT&T will improve thier PTT sometime, but for now be satisfied with good clear AT&T phone calls.

Message Edited by franzjoseph22 on 03-10-2008 06:54:16 PM

My Nextel calls sound a heck of a lot better than my AT&T calls which AT&T can't run a good network over here because of limited capacity. It depends on where you live, AT&T doesn't cover a lot of places around here. But Nextel is full signal all the way.
Message 12 of 29
Scholar

aDiva wrote:

I have Nextel Direct Connect with a family plan, 3 i880's. And 2 LG CU400 AT&T PTT phones on a family plan for mobile to mobile. And let me tell you, if you are switching from Nextel to AT&T PTT you will not be unhappy. The connection takes forever the speaker is quiet and garbled. And he PTT tones when connected sound like robots. The delay is so bad we canceled our PTT right after we got it with AT&T. And in most area's AT&T run's their network in a mode called AMR-HR for the codec of voice and it sounds very very horrible. If you are getting good service with Nextel you will regret switching to AT&T. If you get AT&T, make sure you get a 3G phone and live in a 3G area otherwise it will sound bad. And PTT is not worth it with AT&T.
Message 13 of 29

Actually non-3G phones work better, but that is a new thread
http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=gsmgprs&thread.id=21733
I read somewhere that Kodiak Systems may update AT&T's two-way similar to what Sprint has with QCHAT direct connect.

People should always ask themselves these questions.
  1. Does your phone work well in your house? Or at Work?
  2. How many times do you drop calls on the way to work?
  3. Which carrier do the majority of your friends have?
  4. Do you want technology (SPRINT), Coverage (AT&T and Verizon), cheap prices (T-Mobile, Consumer Cellular) or a rugged, work horse, two-way (NEXTEL)?
  5. Can you afford a cell phone with the current price of gas?Smiley HappySmiley SadSmiley Surprised

Message Edited by franzjoseph22 on 04-27-2008 09:25:35 PM

Message Edited by franzjoseph22 on 04-27-2008 09:32:40 PM
Message 14 of 29
Scholar

franzjoseph22 wrote:
Actually non-3G phones work better, but that is a new thread
http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=gsmgprs&thread.id=21733
I read somewhere that Kodiak Systems may update AT&T's two-way similar to what Sprint has with QCHAT direct connect.

People should always ask themselves these questions.
  1. Does your phone work well in your house? Or at Work?
  2. How many times do you drop calls on the way to work?
  3. Which carrier do the majority of your friends have?
  4. Do you want technology (SPRINT), Coverage (AT&T and Verizon), cheap prices (T-Mobile, Consumer Cellular) or a rugged, work horse, two-way (NEXTEL)?
  5. Can you afford a cell phone with the current price of gas?Smiley HappySmiley SadSmiley Surprised

Message Edited by franzjoseph22 on 04-27-2008 09:25:35 PM

Message Edited by franzjoseph22 on 04-27-2008 09:32:40 PM

I have no idea where your getting all this from. But AT&T's PTT is not a VOIP application at all. It is a muted half duplex phone call. Sprint's new Direct Connect instant PTT is a VOIP app though over the 3G CDMA network. AT&T would have to do a major change in order for their PTT to be quicker, that would mean new phones most likely.

But 3G phones have much better audio quality when in a 3G area because on GSM the phone will typically run at a voice codec called AMR-Half Rate which is intended to save capacity at the cost of voice, 3G uses W-CDMA which is much better at handling more users and low signal and errors and at present only runs at AMR-Full Rate 12.2 which is the highest GSM spec codec there is on the AT&T network so it yields landline like call quality for the most part. That may change when more users are on the 3G network. But at present most will agree the 3G network is much much higher quality when in a 3G area. And like any other phone, it can always revert back to the 2G GSM network if needed. But 3G is what's replacing the GSM network anyways.
Message 15 of 29
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support