Nextel customer thinking of switching to AT&T PTT

Re: Nextel customer thinking of switching to AT&T PTT

An EDVO rev-a network is needed for Sprints new Direct Connect feature. Wouldn't 3G also lend itself to a high performance push-to-talk service since it is also built on CDMA technology?
Message 16 of 29
Scholar

franzjoseph22 wrote:
An EDVO rev-a network is needed for Sprints new Direct Connect feature. Wouldn't 3G also lend itself to a high performance push-to-talk service since it is also built on CDMA technology?

Yea it actually should. They would have to release a whole new platform, I don't think it has been developed yet though. QCHAT technically could work on AT&T's 3G network. I hope we can get some kind of instant PTT solution in the future.
Message 17 of 29
Contributor

Thanks for all the great info guys. I've been on the fence studying ATT PTT and Verizon PTT. The one thing that held me back were the poor phone offers from ATT and Verizon. If either had the 580, 880 style phone I would have pulled the trigger and signed up by now. I dont know about you buy I cannot stand the tiny phone styles. Razors are too thin and most of the rest are too small. PDAs have buttons that my large hands do not even want to mess with.

I was looking at ATT for the roll over. I considered Verizon but they cost the same as Nextel and have a higher up front cost for a family plan (3) and PTT. If Nextel and Sprint never merged I wouldnt have this problem at all, ... I just cant stand sprint. In the end I looks like there is really no choice.

Good PTT is a must

Thanks again
Message 18 of 29

Just heard they might spin off Nextel again and then Sprint will be bought by T-Mobile. Nextel by itself again would be a good deal- provided they were infused with sufficient funds to improve thier network. Which is where AT&T excels-they are always improving thier network.

IDEN cannot do data very well and years ago they were already planning an upgrade to CDMA.

Maybe T-Mobile should buy Sprint. (Good customer service meet Bad customer service......Bad Coverage Meet Bad Coverage.) Actually maybe they could consolidate thier towers and have a stronger network???

Maybe Verizon should then buy spun-off Nextel since they are CDMA and will have QCHAT technology.
All that said AT&T is good-my rollover minutes rescued me last month and in our area coverage beats Verizon.
(AT&T and Cingular both built towers in our area and they are spaced almost perfectly for full signal much of the time)

Slow PTT is really worthless- a good solid wireless call is better until they upgrade our PTT.
Message 19 of 29

ATT on GSM network is slow not under a second ( takes 12 s! or so)as IDEN(nextel or Qchat) plus motorola build radio-phones sturdy with big speakers like it should be for a radio to work, not only those girly and cheapy feeling  phones with poor speaker phones q. and volume and lack of clarity  ( nextel phones even came with metal battery cover!!). Iden for radio is the best now may be replaced for Qchat from sprint nextel and qualcomm tech. since IDEN tec. lack of many of the  new  multimedia stuff.  
Message 20 of 29

Unveliebable Nextel has the best! voice quality if it is in the network range of course plus look the size of the speakers ! iHow do you getbetter quality with a big sp. at low vol. or  a small one in high vol.?  Nextel doesnt have much coverage though, but that is if you travel a lot ....I switch to att once and i regreted sice the voice Q. was like a choked chicken and sprint internet is faaast!!
Message 21 of 29

And the happy smily thing is less than professional???? in construction high volume is needed since is  a noisy enviroment, motorola thought about it .....
plus the tipical prefessional beeping when you receive a direct conect call of nextell was replaced for something that sounds  inmmensely ridiculous like uuuhooooo, people around you look at you like tacky dressed guy or some wacko...lot of work to do  yet ATT

Message Edited by marcelogreat on 05-21-2008 04:51:21 PM

Message Edited by marcelogreat on 05-31-2008 01:26:25 PM
Message 22 of 29

Marcelo

Although, I will agree with you about at&t and their not so desire able chirps, it is just a matter of time before that happens.
1.  Nextel as many know is in frantic sell off mode thanks to sprint.  Sprint really can't afford to put anymore money into the network.  Nextel was bought for 45 bil, their value now, less than 15.
2.  Nextel's iden is going to the government effective June 28 2009 (NO MORE EXTENSIONS) per the FCC
3. Q-chat has been in the making for 10 years Vzw and at&t took 2 years to develop
4.  more coverage in more places.  I have used nextel for 10 years and they have done nothing to develop the network.  I do demo's with at&t ptt phones all over the country and i have better coverage than nextel.  Why just a few months ago we were doing a program in Anaheim at the convention center.  Guess who had no ptt coverage there (nextel).  I had 50 staff that couldn't communicate.  I sold the company on my service.  Why?  Because we offer free ptt and free mobile to mobile.  A concept nextel doesn't get.  If their ptt doesn't work, their phones don't work. On a 3g network i can make ptt and cell calls clear as a bell.  I am willing to bet that you give me a nextel with 1 bar and att with 1 bar and i will choose at&t regardless of their silly chirpy sounds. 
5.  Nextel had its hey day.  Problem existing for Nextel and iDen------motorola (the weakest link)  they are selling off handset division.  That leaves samsung, LG and a few others to duke it out.  When at&t's next gen ptt rolls out, it will be just as good as qchat and iden, mark my words. 

Just some thoughts.
Message 23 of 29

Well I understand that in the future things could change but until today Nextel continues to have better voice quality, I am in sprint now since I had  a package deal  but I am thinking to get my I870 ( just comapare the size of the speakers to other gsm, just a dot or 2 )back activated for the main cause "talk" and I don't travel much like most of the people don't wandering off the country all the time . However it is a good thing that wir. comp. are improving so we all get better communication. It is shame they don't invest on IDEN anymore, nevertheless they are coming with something similar or even better qchat and ATT ptt over 3G and other, hopefully all phone will be able to get ptt over the world or at least US. Att got to make sure they do rugged phones and loud, after allit has to imitate in some way  the traditional one way radio  . And I agree with the lack of investment on Nextel iden .At last  Are you saying that Mot. is not doing anymore  handsets??
Regards
Message 24 of 29
Scholar

We just added Family PTT to our 4 phones. 

We're still getting used to the service, but I think it will be a big benefit to the family in the long run.

Asvab7 wrote:
The Push to Talk feature for AT&T is excellent!!!  All of the PTT capable phones on the AT&T network are also bluetooth capable, so if you are waering a headset, bluetooth or otherwise, you can still hear the warning sound first. 

Asvab7,

I'm a big bluetooth user on my Tilt.  It's nice that all PTT sounds get routed to bluetooth. 

My only problem is that I don't wear my bluetooth headset all the time (it's usually hanging on my shirt button) , which means I would miss any PTT alerts or calls that come in.

When I receive a voice call, my Tilt and my bluetooth headset ring.  When I hear my Tilt ring, I'll put on my headset and answer the call.

However, when I receive a PTT call, the PTT alert tone only goes to my headset, and my Tilt remains silent.

One other PTT-Bluetooth problem that I've seen is that when Bluetooth is on, but not paired to a headset, an outgoing PTT call seems to lock the PTT button closed (transmitting) while the phone searches for a bluetooth device.  So, even though I release the PTT button, the Tilt keeps transmitting PTT while searching for the bluetooth device.  It will eventually time out, but the receiving PTT caller receives a PTT message that is 20 or 25 seconds long, and can not respond during that time.

I think I start another thread and discuss Bluetooth and PTT experiences

Message 25 of 29
Contributor

Is not real PTT . Is over the cellular line. Only IDEN can achieve that or QCHAT.
Message 26 of 29

Well, since I posted last we switched back to Sprint and Nextel. The QCHAT system is disappointing in our area. It requires a very strong data signal. A lot of the time EDVO is not strong enough inside buildings etc.. to work. However the Cdma voice does just fine.

Hence I carry a Motorola Q and an i570. IDEN certainly is the superior technology for PTT. And Sprint is turning around. We have free texting and a heavily discounted plan with them. 

...and Verizon roaming.

Message 27 of 29
Contributor

hopefuly EVDO power will improve in the next co ming years. And yes Verizon and Sprint share they are antenas in a way to cover more places ...
Message 28 of 29
Highlighted
Contributor

I have no Idea where this guy is or was, But I use AT&T push to talk all over the US east of the Mississippi River it is FANTASTIC!!!! It beats NEXTEL Hands down in every aspect! It can take a second or two to connect but once connected NO Beep Beep Beep Busy where you have to wait for an opening in a busy network to connect like NEXTEL. I have had NEXTEL, But NEVER AGAIN!
Message 29 of 29
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support