Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 11, 2008
2:32:47 PM
View profile
Nextel customer thinking of switching to AT&T PTT
I am a Nextel customer & I am thinking of switching to AT&T. Does the PTT service with AT&T work like Nextel's? We love using the walkie talkie feature. Does AT&T's PTT also work like a walklie talkie? Meaning you can use the speaker to talk?
I am a Nextel customer & I am thinking of switching to AT&T. Does the PTT service with AT&T work like Nextel's? We love using the walkie talkie feature. Does AT&T's PTT also work like a walklie talkie? Meaning you can use the speaker to talk?

Nextel customer thinking of switching to AT&T PTT

28 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(28)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2008 1:24:20 AM
(0)
Master

aDiva wrote:

Currently, you can only do Push To Talk within Cingular.  So you cannot do push to talk with Nextel or any other provider.  If your main purpose to switch is the whole push to talk and you have more friends on Nextel, maybe stick to Nextel.  You won't be able to push to talk with your friends on Nextel.

Not sure about the whole walkie talkie and speaker thing. 

aDiva wrote:

Currently, you can only do Push To Talk within Cingular.  So you cannot do push to talk with Nextel or any other provider.  If your main purpose to switch is the whole push to talk and you have more friends on Nextel, maybe stick to Nextel.  You won't be able to push to talk with your friends on Nextel.

Not sure about the whole walkie talkie and speaker thing. 

Re: Nextel customer thinking of switching to AT&T PTT

2 of 29 (20,887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2008 10:42:35 AM
(0)
Contributor
My Husband & I actually use Nextel PTT (walkie talkie) just to speak with eachother. All of our families use AT&T for cell phone service but not PTT. I was hoping to get more responses.

Is there anyone who used to be a Nextel customer & is now a AT&T PTT user?

I am thinking I am going to have to go down to a store & ask for a demonstration.
My Husband & I actually use Nextel PTT (walkie talkie) just to speak with eachother. All of our families use AT&T for cell phone service but not PTT. I was hoping to get more responses.

Is there anyone who used to be a Nextel customer & is now a AT&T PTT user?

I am thinking I am going to have to go down to a store & ask for a demonstration.

3 of 29 (20,873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2008 6:53:36 PM
(0)
Contributor
Our company just switched to Att ptt and we in the field can't stand it. Nextel is far better. We can't here when someone beeps us and the signal is awful. where's my nextel ???? please come back!!!
Our company just switched to Att ptt and we in the field can't stand it. Nextel is far better. We can't here when someone beeps us and the signal is awful. where's my nextel ???? please come back!!!

4 of 29 (20,848 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2008 4:46:49 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thanks for telling me about your experience. We haven't switched yet & now after hearing how bad AT&T is compared to Nextel I am not sure if we will.
Thanks for telling me about your experience. We haven't switched yet & now after hearing how bad AT&T is compared to Nextel I am not sure if we will.

5 of 29 (20,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2008 12:25:24 PM
(0)
Scholar
The Push to Talk feature for AT&T is excellent!!!  All of the PTT capable phones on the AT&T network are also bluetooth capable, so if you are waering a headset, bluetooth or otherwise, you can still hear the warning sound first.  This allows you to either accept or reject the call prior to responding.  Obviously it works nationwide and unlike nextel and boost mobile, you can actually understand the call as well as the entire conversation.  If all of your family has ptt capable phones, try it and i am sure that you will come to love it as i have.  in addition, convincing other family members will not be that hard once they see it done and how well it functions.  My main gripe it the cost involved and the fact that it is no longer advertised by AT&T via commercial or in their stores.  Once the cost goes away, you will really start to see more people move toward using it.  As of right now, the main push is to get business users to use the feature as that is money in the pockets of AT&T.  Nevertheless, use the service with the family and you will see the benefit.
The Push to Talk feature for AT&T is excellent!!!  All of the PTT capable phones on the AT&T network are also bluetooth capable, so if you are waering a headset, bluetooth or otherwise, you can still hear the warning sound first.  This allows you to either accept or reject the call prior to responding.  Obviously it works nationwide and unlike nextel and boost mobile, you can actually understand the call as well as the entire conversation.  If all of your family has ptt capable phones, try it and i am sure that you will come to love it as i have.  in addition, convincing other family members will not be that hard once they see it done and how well it functions.  My main gripe it the cost involved and the fact that it is no longer advertised by AT&T via commercial or in their stores.  Once the cost goes away, you will really start to see more people move toward using it.  As of right now, the main push is to get business users to use the feature as that is money in the pockets of AT&T.  Nevertheless, use the service with the family and you will see the benefit.

6 of 29 (20,640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2008 12:02:33 PM
(0)
Mentor
AT&T has free mobile to mobile. Way pay $20.00 for PTT when you have the other service for free?

AT&T has free mobile to mobile. Way pay $20.00 for PTT when you have the other service for free?

7 of 29 (20,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 29, 2008 2:48:10 PM
(0)
Mentor
TRUE TRUE!!
TRUE TRUE!!

8 of 29 (20,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2008 12:18:17 PM
(0)
Teacher
To communicate among family members, the service works great.  You have the benefit over Nextel of having better coverage, cooler phones, and more functionality within PTT.  Yes, it takes a bit longer to setup the call, but once it's established, it's as quick as Nextel.  Does it really make much difference if your wife hears "What's for dinner?" immediately versus a few seconds after you say it? 

It also works great for businesses, the only exception would be emergency response type of applications.  In that case, it may not be as good as Nextel, although their coverage may be a problem in and of itself, but it's better than regular dialing.
To communicate among family members, the service works great.  You have the benefit over Nextel of having better coverage, cooler phones, and more functionality within PTT.  Yes, it takes a bit longer to setup the call, but once it's established, it's as quick as Nextel.  Does it really make much difference if your wife hears "What's for dinner?" immediately versus a few seconds after you say it? 

It also works great for businesses, the only exception would be emergency response type of applications.  In that case, it may not be as good as Nextel, although their coverage may be a problem in and of itself, but it's better than regular dialing.

9 of 29 (20,430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2008 3:33:39 PM
(0)
Mentor
Well they could improve a couple things:
1.) Speed of the 1st connection is 10-15 seconds for the push to talk call to be set up which is equivalent to a phone call. The advantage of course is being able to send an audio message without dialing however it is a far cry from a walkie-talkie.
2.)Transmissions at times are lost and are never sent through.
3.)The timing of the roger beeps does not seem to correspond to  whether or not you have sucessfully transmiited. Sometimes you hold the ptt button wait for the beep start talking and then recieve another beep letting you know that possibly you just wasted your breathe. I suppose the other party could be trying to comeback but still there is no clear indicator if your transmission will be successful or if you are connected. Sometimes the device just beeps and fails to transmit.
4)Convert to Cellular calls are poorer audio quality than regular phone calls.
5.)One instance I actually heard another conversation from another party-got some wires crossed.
6)In order for PTT to be a business solution it needs to be more reliable.
Well they could improve a couple things:
1.) Speed of the 1st connection is 10-15 seconds for the push to talk call to be set up which is equivalent to a phone call. The advantage of course is being able to send an audio message without dialing however it is a far cry from a walkie-talkie.
2.)Transmissions at times are lost and are never sent through.
3.)The timing of the roger beeps does not seem to correspond to  whether or not you have sucessfully transmiited. Sometimes you hold the ptt button wait for the beep start talking and then recieve another beep letting you know that possibly you just wasted your breathe. I suppose the other party could be trying to comeback but still there is no clear indicator if your transmission will be successful or if you are connected. Sometimes the device just beeps and fails to transmit.
4)Convert to Cellular calls are poorer audio quality than regular phone calls.
5.)One instance I actually heard another conversation from another party-got some wires crossed.
6)In order for PTT to be a business solution it needs to be more reliable.

10 of 29 (20,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2008 3:51:32 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by franzjoseph22 on Mar 10, 2008 at 3:54:16 PM
Sorry to come back again, but I just wanted to clarify a few points. We used to have Nextel, Ready Link and AT&T PTT.

1. Sprint-Nextel has poor coverage, is on the verge of being bought out, and has poor customer service.
2. Nextel IDEN two-ways communicate quickly, and reliably with a solid connection when in coverage. Ready-Link is slow and delayed because it uses the internet to transmit your voice. QCHAT is on the way to combine Direct Connect and Ready Link.
3. AT&T has the best voice coverage with few or no dropped calls and helpful customer service reps.
4. AT&T PTT is slow, delayed and unreliable-It also like Ready Link transmits over the internet.
5. An AT&T phone call takes the same amount of time as setting up a PTT conversation and it is much cheaper----HOWEVER.......
HOWEVER-You are much better off with just regular AT&T cell phone coverage. Your PTT craving will dissipate. Instead you will have good clear calls and roll over minutes. If you need PTT use Nextel or Boost Mobile only. I think AT&T will improve thier PTT sometime, but for now be satisfied with good clear AT&T phone calls.

Message Edited by franzjoseph22 on 03-10-2008 06:54:16 PM
Sorry to come back again, but I just wanted to clarify a few points. We used to have Nextel, Ready Link and AT&T PTT.

1. Sprint-Nextel has poor coverage, is on the verge of being bought out, and has poor customer service.
2. Nextel IDEN two-ways communicate quickly, and reliably with a solid connection when in coverage. Ready-Link is slow and delayed because it uses the internet to transmit your voice. QCHAT is on the way to combine Direct Connect and Ready Link.
3. AT&T has the best voice coverage with few or no dropped calls and helpful customer service reps.
4. AT&T PTT is slow, delayed and unreliable-It also like Ready Link transmits over the internet.
5. An AT&T phone call takes the same amount of time as setting up a PTT conversation and it is much cheaper----HOWEVER.......
HOWEVER-You are much better off with just regular AT&T cell phone coverage. Your PTT craving will dissipate. Instead you will have good clear calls and roll over minutes. If you need PTT use Nextel or Boost Mobile only. I think AT&T will improve thier PTT sometime, but for now be satisfied with good clear AT&T phone calls.

[ Edited ]
11 of 29 (13,558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2008 6:13:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

franzjoseph22 wrote:

My Nextel calls sound a heck of a lot better than my AT&T calls which AT&T can't run a good network over here because of limited capacity. It depends on where you live, AT&T doesn't cover a lot of places around here. But Nextel is full signal all the way.

franzjoseph22 wrote:

My Nextel calls sound a heck of a lot better than my AT&T calls which AT&T can't run a good network over here because of limited capacity. It depends on where you live, AT&T doesn't cover a lot of places around here. But Nextel is full signal all the way.

12 of 29 (13,273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2008 6:16:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

aDiva wrote:

I have Nextel Direct Connect with a family plan, 3 i880's. And 2 LG CU400 AT&T PTT phones on a family plan for mobile to mobile. And let me tell you, if you are switching from Nextel to AT&T PTT you will not be unhappy. The connection takes forever the speaker is quiet and garbled. And he PTT tones when connected sound like robots. The delay is so bad we canceled our PTT right after we got it with AT&T. And in most area's AT&T run's their network in a mode called AMR-HR for the codec of voice and it sounds very very horrible. If you are getting good service with Nextel you will regret switching to AT&T. If you get AT&T, make sure you get a 3G phone and live in a 3G area otherwise it will sound bad. And PTT is not worth it with AT&T.

aDiva wrote:

I have Nextel Direct Connect with a family plan, 3 i880's. And 2 LG CU400 AT&T PTT phones on a family plan for mobile to mobile. And let me tell you, if you are switching from Nextel to AT&T PTT you will not be unhappy. The connection takes forever the speaker is quiet and garbled. And he PTT tones when connected sound like robots. The delay is so bad we canceled our PTT right after we got it with AT&T. And in most area's AT&T run's their network in a mode called AMR-HR for the codec of voice and it sounds very very horrible. If you are getting good service with Nextel you will regret switching to AT&T. If you get AT&T, make sure you get a 3G phone and live in a 3G area otherwise it will sound bad. And PTT is not worth it with AT&T.

13 of 29 (13,271 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2008 6:22:40 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by franzjoseph22 on Apr 27, 2008 at 6:32:40 PM
Actually non-3G phones work better, but that is a new thread
http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=gsmgprs&thread.id=21733
I read somewhere that Kodiak Systems may update AT&T's two-way similar to what Sprint has with QCHAT direct connect.

People should always ask themselves these questions.
  1. Does your phone work well in your house? Or at Work?
  2. How many times do you drop calls on the way to work?
  3. Which carrier do the majority of your friends have?
  4. Do you want technology (SPRINT), Coverage (AT&T and Verizon), cheap prices (T-Mobile, Consumer Cellular) or a rugged, work horse, two-way (NEXTEL)?
  5. Can you afford a cell phone with the current price of gas?Smiley HappySmiley SadSmiley Surprised

Message Edited by franzjoseph22 on 04-27-2008 09:25:35 PM

Message Edited by franzjoseph22 on 04-27-2008 09:32:40 PM
http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=gsmgprs&thread.id=21733
I read somewhere that Kodiak Systems may update AT&T's two-way similar to what Sprint has with QCHAT direct connect.

4. Do you want technology (SPRINT), Coverage (AT&T and Verizon), cheap prices (T-Mobile, Consumer Cellular) or a rugged, work horse, two-way (NEXTEL)?
  5. Can you afford a cell phone with the current price of gas?Smiley HappySmiley SadSmiley Surprised

[ Edited ]
14 of 29 (13,271 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2008 11:18:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

franzjoseph22 wrote:

I have no idea where your getting all this from. But AT&T's PTT is not a VOIP application at all. It is a muted half duplex phone call. Sprint's new Direct Connect instant PTT is a VOIP app though over the 3G CDMA network. AT&T would have to do a major change in order for their PTT to be quicker, that would mean new phones most likely.

But 3G phones have much better audio quality when in a 3G area because on GSM the phone will typically run at a voice codec called AMR-Half Rate which is intended to save capacity at the cost of voice, 3G uses W-CDMA which is much better at handling more users and low signal and errors and at present only runs at AMR-Full Rate 12.2 which is the highest GSM spec codec there is on the AT&T network so it yields landline like call quality for the most part. That may change when more users are on the 3G network. But at present most will agree the 3G network is much much higher quality when in a 3G area. And like any other phone, it can always revert back to the 2G GSM network if needed. But 3G is what's replacing the GSM network anyways.

franzjoseph22 wrote:

I have no idea where your getting all this from. But AT&T's PTT is not a VOIP application at all. It is a muted half duplex phone call. Sprint's new Direct Connect instant PTT is a VOIP app though over the 3G CDMA network. AT&T would have to do a major change in order for their PTT to be quicker, that would mean new phones most likely.

But 3G phones have much better audio quality when in a 3G area because on GSM the phone will typically run at a voice codec called AMR-Half Rate which is intended to save capacity at the cost of voice, 3G uses W-CDMA which is much better at handling more users and low signal and errors and at present only runs at AMR-Full Rate 12.2 which is the highest GSM spec codec there is on the AT&T network so it yields landline like call quality for the most part. That may change when more users are on the 3G network. But at present most will agree the 3G network is much much higher quality when in a 3G area. And like any other phone, it can always revert back to the 2G GSM network if needed. But 3G is what's replacing the GSM network anyways.

15 of 29 (13,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2008 1:38:34 AM
(0)
Mentor
An EDVO rev-a network is needed for Sprints new Direct Connect feature. Wouldn't 3G also lend itself to a high performance push-to-talk service since it is also built on CDMA technology?
An EDVO rev-a network is needed for Sprints new Direct Connect feature. Wouldn't 3G also lend itself to a high performance push-to-talk service since it is also built on CDMA technology?

16 of 29 (13,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2008 4:48:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

franzjoseph22 wrote:

Yea it actually should. They would have to release a whole new platform, I don't think it has been developed yet though. QCHAT technically could work on AT&T's 3G network. I hope we can get some kind of instant PTT solution in the future.

franzjoseph22 wrote:

Yea it actually should. They would have to release a whole new platform, I don't think it has been developed yet though. QCHAT technically could work on AT&T's 3G network. I hope we can get some kind of instant PTT solution in the future.

17 of 29 (13,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2008 3:27:36 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thanks for all the great info guys. I've been on the fence studying ATT PTT and Verizon PTT. The one thing that held me back were the poor phone offers from ATT and Verizon. If either had the 580, 880 style phone I would have pulled the trigger and signed up by now. I dont know about you buy I cannot stand the tiny phone styles. Razors are too thin and most of the rest are too small. PDAs have buttons that my large hands do not even want to mess with.

I was looking at ATT for the roll over. I considered Verizon but they cost the same as Nextel and have a higher up front cost for a family plan (3) and PTT. If Nextel and Sprint never merged I wouldnt have this problem at all, ... I just cant stand sprint. In the end I looks like there is really no choice.

Good PTT is a must

Thanks again
Thanks for all the great info guys. I've been on the fence studying ATT PTT and Verizon PTT. The one thing that held me back were the poor phone offers from ATT and Verizon. If either had the 580, 880 style phone I would have pulled the trigger and signed up by now. I dont know about you buy I cannot stand the tiny phone styles. Razors are too thin and most of the rest are too small. PDAs have buttons that my large hands do not even want to mess with.

I was looking at ATT for the roll over. I considered Verizon but they cost the same as Nextel and have a higher up front cost for a family plan (3) and PTT. If Nextel and Sprint never merged I wouldnt have this problem at all, ... I just cant stand sprint. In the end I looks like there is really no choice.

Good PTT is a must

Thanks again

18 of 29 (13,115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2008 5:42:05 PM
(0)
Mentor
Just heard they might spin off Nextel again and then Sprint will be bought by T-Mobile. Nextel by itself again would be a good deal- provided they were infused with sufficient funds to improve thier network. Which is where AT&T excels-they are always improving thier network.

IDEN cannot do data very well and years ago they were already planning an upgrade to CDMA.

Maybe T-Mobile should buy Sprint. (Good customer service meet Bad customer service......Bad Coverage Meet Bad Coverage.) Actually maybe they could consolidate thier towers and have a stronger network???

Maybe Verizon should then buy spun-off Nextel since they are CDMA and will have QCHAT technology.
All that said AT&T is good-my rollover minutes rescued me last month and in our area coverage beats Verizon.
(AT&T and Cingular both built towers in our area and they are spaced almost perfectly for full signal much of the time)

Slow PTT is really worthless- a good solid wireless call is better until they upgrade our PTT.
Just heard they might spin off Nextel again and then Sprint will be bought by T-Mobile. Nextel by itself again would be a good deal- provided they were infused with sufficient funds to improve thier network. Which is where AT&T excels-they are always improving thier network.

IDEN cannot do data very well and years ago they were already planning an upgrade to CDMA.

Maybe T-Mobile should buy Sprint. (Good customer service meet Bad customer service......Bad Coverage Meet Bad Coverage.) Actually maybe they could consolidate thier towers and have a stronger network???

Maybe Verizon should then buy spun-off Nextel since they are CDMA and will have QCHAT technology.
All that said AT&T is good-my rollover minutes rescued me last month and in our area coverage beats Verizon.
(AT&T and Cingular both built towers in our area and they are spaced almost perfectly for full signal much of the time)

Slow PTT is really worthless- a good solid wireless call is better until they upgrade our PTT.

19 of 29 (13,113 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2008 4:24:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
ATT on GSM network is slow not under a second ( takes 12 s! or so)as IDEN(nextel or Qchat) plus motorola build radio-phones sturdy with big speakers like it should be for a radio to work, not only those girly and cheapy feeling  phones with poor speaker phones q. and volume and lack of clarity  ( nextel phones even came with metal battery cover!!). Iden for radio is the best now may be replaced for Qchat from sprint nextel and qualcomm tech. since IDEN tec. lack of many of the  new  multimedia stuff.  
ATT on GSM network is slow not under a second ( takes 12 s! or so)as IDEN(nextel or Qchat) plus motorola build radio-phones sturdy with big speakers like it should be for a radio to work, not only those girly and cheapy feeling  phones with poor speaker phones q. and volume and lack of clarity  ( nextel phones even came with metal battery cover!!). Iden for radio is the best now may be replaced for Qchat from sprint nextel and qualcomm tech. since IDEN tec. lack of many of the  new  multimedia stuff.  

20 of 29 (12,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2008 4:32:40 PM
(0)
Tutor
Unveliebable Nextel has the best! voice quality if it is in the network range of course plus look the size of the speakers ! iHow do you getbetter quality with a big sp. at low vol. or  a small one in high vol.?  Nextel doesnt have much coverage though, but that is if you travel a lot ....I switch to att once and i regreted sice the voice Q. was like a choked chicken and sprint internet is faaast!!
Unveliebable Nextel has the best! voice quality if it is in the network range of course plus look the size of the speakers ! iHow do you getbetter quality with a big sp. at low vol. or  a small one in high vol.?  Nextel doesnt have much coverage though, but that is if you travel a lot ....I switch to att once and i regreted sice the voice Q. was like a choked chicken and sprint internet is faaast!!

21 of 29 (10,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2008 4:42:44 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by marcelogreat on May 31, 2008 at 1:26:25 PM
And the happy smily thing is less than professional???? in construction high volume is needed since is  a noisy enviroment, motorola thought about it .....
plus the tipical prefessional beeping when you receive a direct conect call of nextell was replaced for something that sounds  inmmensely ridiculous like uuuhooooo, people around you look at you like tacky dressed guy or some wacko...lot of work to do  yet ATT

Message Edited by marcelogreat on 05-21-2008 04:51:21 PM

Message Edited by marcelogreat on 05-31-2008 01:26:25 PM
And the happy smily thing is less than professional???? in construction high volume is needed since is  a noisy enviroment, motorola thought about it .....
plus the tipical prefessional beeping when you receive a direct conect call of nextell was replaced for something that sounds  inmmensely ridiculous like uuuhooooo, people around you look at you like tacky dressed guy or some wacko...lot of work to do  yet ATT

Message Edited by marcelogreat on 05-21-2008 04:51:21 PM

Message Edited by marcelogreat on 05-31-2008 01:26:25 PM

[ Edited ]
22 of 29 (10,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2008 10:37:04 PM
(0)
Contributor
Marcelo

Although, I will agree with you about at&t and their not so desire able chirps, it is just a matter of time before that happens.
1.  Nextel as many know is in frantic sell off mode thanks to sprint.  Sprint really can't afford to put anymore money into the network.  Nextel was bought for 45 bil, their value now, less than 15.
2.  Nextel's iden is going to the government effective June 28 2009 (NO MORE EXTENSIONS) per the FCC
3. Q-chat has been in the making for 10 years Vzw and at&t took 2 years to develop
4.  more coverage in more places.  I have used nextel for 10 years and they have done nothing to develop the network.  I do demo's with at&t ptt phones all over the country and i have better coverage than nextel.  Why just a few months ago we were doing a program in Anaheim at the convention center.  Guess who had no ptt coverage there (nextel).  I had 50 staff that couldn't communicate.  I sold the company on my service.  Why?  Because we offer free ptt and free mobile to mobile.  A concept nextel doesn't get.  If their ptt doesn't work, their phones don't work. On a 3g network i can make ptt and cell calls clear as a bell.  I am willing to bet that you give me a nextel with 1 bar and att with 1 bar and i will choose at&t regardless of their silly chirpy sounds. 
5.  Nextel had its hey day.  Problem existing for Nextel and iDen------motorola (the weakest link)  they are selling off handset division.  That leaves samsung, LG and a few others to duke it out.  When at&t's next gen ptt rolls out, it will be just as good as qchat and iden, mark my words. 

Just some thoughts.
Marcelo

Although, I will agree with you about at&t and their not so desire able chirps, it is just a matter of time before that happens.
1.  Nextel as many know is in frantic sell off mode thanks to sprint.  Sprint really can't afford to put anymore money into the network.  Nextel was bought for 45 bil, their value now, less than 15.
2.  Nextel's iden is going to the government effective June 28 2009 (NO MORE EXTENSIONS) per the FCC
3. Q-chat has been in the making for 10 years Vzw and at&t took 2 years to develop
4.  more coverage in more places.  I have used nextel for 10 years and they have done nothing to develop the network.  I do demo's with at&t ptt phones all over the country and i have better coverage than nextel.  Why just a few months ago we were doing a program in Anaheim at the convention center.  Guess who had no ptt coverage there (nextel).  I had 50 staff that couldn't communicate.  I sold the company on my service.  Why?  Because we offer free ptt and free mobile to mobile.  A concept nextel doesn't get.  If their ptt doesn't work, their phones don't work. On a 3g network i can make ptt and cell calls clear as a bell.  I am willing to bet that you give me a nextel with 1 bar and att with 1 bar and i will choose at&t regardless of their silly chirpy sounds. 
5.  Nextel had its hey day.  Problem existing for Nextel and iDen------motorola (the weakest link)  they are selling off handset division.  That leaves samsung, LG and a few others to duke it out.  When at&t's next gen ptt rolls out, it will be just as good as qchat and iden, mark my words. 

Just some thoughts.

23 of 29 (9,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2008 6:26:00 AM
(0)
Tutor
Well I understand that in the future things could change but until today Nextel continues to have better voice quality, I am in sprint now since I had  a package deal  but I am thinking to get my I870 ( just comapare the size of the speakers to other gsm, just a dot or 2 )back activated for the main cause "talk" and I don't travel much like most of the people don't wandering off the country all the time . However it is a good thing that wir. comp. are improving so we all get better communication. It is shame they don't invest on IDEN anymore, nevertheless they are coming with something similar or even better qchat and ATT ptt over 3G and other, hopefully all phone will be able to get ptt over the world or at least US. Att got to make sure they do rugged phones and loud, after allit has to imitate in some way  the traditional one way radio  . And I agree with the lack of investment on Nextel iden .At last  Are you saying that Mot. is not doing anymore  handsets??
Regards
Well I understand that in the future things could change but until today Nextel continues to have better voice quality, I am in sprint now since I had  a package deal  but I am thinking to get my I870 ( just comapare the size of the speakers to other gsm, just a dot or 2 )back activated for the main cause "talk" and I don't travel much like most of the people don't wandering off the country all the time . However it is a good thing that wir. comp. are improving so we all get better communication. It is shame they don't invest on IDEN anymore, nevertheless they are coming with something similar or even better qchat and ATT ptt over 3G and other, hopefully all phone will be able to get ptt over the world or at least US. Att got to make sure they do rugged phones and loud, after allit has to imitate in some way  the traditional one way radio  . And I agree with the lack of investment on Nextel iden .At last  Are you saying that Mot. is not doing anymore  handsets??
Regards

24 of 29 (9,899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2009 1:11:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

We just added Family PTT to our 4 phones. 

We're still getting used to the service, but I think it will be a big benefit to the family in the long run.

Asvab7 wrote:
The Push to Talk feature for AT&T is excellent!!!  All of the PTT capable phones on the AT&T network are also bluetooth capable, so if you are waering a headset, bluetooth or otherwise, you can still hear the warning sound first. 

Asvab7,

I'm a big bluetooth user on my Tilt.  It's nice that all PTT sounds get routed to bluetooth. 

My only problem is that I don't wear my bluetooth headset all the time (it's usually hanging on my shirt button) , which means I would miss any PTT alerts or calls that come in.

When I receive a voice call, my Tilt and my bluetooth headset ring.  When I hear my Tilt ring, I'll put on my headset and answer the call.

However, when I receive a PTT call, the PTT alert tone only goes to my headset, and my Tilt remains silent.

One other PTT-Bluetooth problem that I've seen is that when Bluetooth is on, but not paired to a headset, an outgoing PTT call seems to lock the PTT button closed (transmitting) while the phone searches for a bluetooth device.  So, even though I release the PTT button, the Tilt keeps transmitting PTT while searching for the bluetooth device.  It will eventually time out, but the receiving PTT caller receives a PTT message that is 20 or 25 seconds long, and can not respond during that time.

I think I start another thread and discuss Bluetooth and PTT experiences

We just added Family PTT to our 4 phones. 

We're still getting used to the service, but I think it will be a big benefit to the family in the long run.

Asvab7 wrote:
The Push to Talk feature for AT&T is excellent!!!  All of the PTT capable phones on the AT&T network are also bluetooth capable, so if you are waering a headset, bluetooth or otherwise, you can still hear the warning sound first. 

Asvab7,

I'm a big bluetooth user on my Tilt.  It's nice that all PTT sounds get routed to bluetooth. 

My only problem is that I don't wear my bluetooth headset all the time (it's usually hanging on my shirt button) , which means I would miss any PTT alerts or calls that come in.

When I receive a voice call, my Tilt and my bluetooth headset ring.  When I hear my Tilt ring, I'll put on my headset and answer the call.

However, when I receive a PTT call, the PTT alert tone only goes to my headset, and my Tilt remains silent.

One other PTT-Bluetooth problem that I've seen is that when Bluetooth is on, but not paired to a headset, an outgoing PTT call seems to lock the PTT button closed (transmitting) while the phone searches for a bluetooth device.  So, even though I release the PTT button, the Tilt keeps transmitting PTT while searching for the bluetooth device.  It will eventually time out, but the receiving PTT caller receives a PTT message that is 20 or 25 seconds long, and can not respond during that time.

I think I start another thread and discuss Bluetooth and PTT experiences

25 of 29 (8,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2009 8:30:45 AM
(0)
Contributor
Is not real PTT . Is over the cellular line. Only IDEN can achieve that or QCHAT.
Is not real PTT . Is over the cellular line. Only IDEN can achieve that or QCHAT.

26 of 29 (8,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2009 4:37:13 PM
(0)
Mentor

Well, since I posted last we switched back to Sprint and Nextel. The QCHAT system is disappointing in our area. It requires a very strong data signal. A lot of the time EDVO is not strong enough inside buildings etc.. to work. However the Cdma voice does just fine.

Hence I carry a Motorola Q and an i570. IDEN certainly is the superior technology for PTT. And Sprint is turning around. We have free texting and a heavily discounted plan with them. 

...and Verizon roaming.

Well, since I posted last we switched back to Sprint and Nextel. The QCHAT system is disappointing in our area. It requires a very strong data signal. A lot of the time EDVO is not strong enough inside buildings etc.. to work. However the Cdma voice does just fine.

Hence I carry a Motorola Q and an i570. IDEN certainly is the superior technology for PTT. And Sprint is turning around. We have free texting and a heavily discounted plan with them. 

...and Verizon roaming.

27 of 29 (8,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2009 7:13:59 AM
(0)
Contributor
hopefuly EVDO power will improve in the next co ming years. And yes Verizon and Sprint share they are antenas in a way to cover more places ...
hopefuly EVDO power will improve in the next co ming years. And yes Verizon and Sprint share they are antenas in a way to cover more places ...

28 of 29 (8,118 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2009 3:31:55 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have no Idea where this guy is or was, But I use AT&T push to talk all over the US east of the Mississippi River it is FANTASTIC!!!! It beats NEXTEL Hands down in every aspect! It can take a second or two to connect but once connected NO Beep Beep Beep Busy where you have to wait for an opening in a busy network to connect like NEXTEL. I have had NEXTEL, But NEVER AGAIN!
I have no Idea where this guy is or was, But I use AT&T push to talk all over the US east of the Mississippi River it is FANTASTIC!!!! It beats NEXTEL Hands down in every aspect! It can take a second or two to connect but once connected NO Beep Beep Beep Busy where you have to wait for an opening in a busy network to connect like NEXTEL. I have had NEXTEL, But NEVER AGAIN!

29 of 29 (7,661 Views)