New York prepaid 3G SIM card with data plan for Android

Contributor

New York prepaid 3G SIM card with data plan for Android

Hi, I am from Singapore and will be travelling to NY in 3 weeks time.

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000 running on Android. I've been following the forum on this SIM card self-help but most of the advises are for IPhone users. I wonder if the 3G SIM card from AT&T is suitable for data usage on Android to check my emails and navigation maps on the go?

If so, any advise on whether there will be any telecomm provider AT&T counter at the airport arrival hall?

So helpless when it comes to traveling overseas without connection. Smiley Sad Please help me!

Message 1 of 3 (9,086 Views)

Re: New York prepaid 3G SIM card with data plan for Android

[ Edited ]

delcie wrote:

Hi, I am from Singapore and will be travelling to NY in 3 weeks time.

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000 running on Android. ... if the 3G SIM card from AT&T is suitable for data usage on Android to check my emails and navigation maps on the go?

If so, any advise on whether there will be any telecomm provider AT&T counter at the airport arrival hall?

So helpless when it comes to traveling overseas without connection. Smiley Sad Please help me!

AT&T prepaid SIM cards cannot be used for data-only devices, like the Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000, although AT&T has 3G support for the Tab's UMTS 850MHz and 1900MHz bands  (T-Mobile USA owuld not, for example).

The AT&T 3G SIM card is of no use to you on a Galaxy Tab.

Yes, renting a smartphone for your visit might be one option, albeit expensive -- do not know.  It might be cheaper to buy an unlocked smartphone in Singapore and load it with a prepaid SIM once in the States.  Otherwise, sounds like you might have to depend on WiFi throughout your visit, which is available for free on hotels, coffee shops and book stores.

Message 2 of 3 (9,082 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: New York prepaid 3G SIM card with data plan for Android

[ Edited ]

Actually you can get a prepaid DataConnect Pass plan for your tablet.  Here is a link to additional information re: at&t's no-commitment options for data only devices -

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/netbooks.jsp#fbid=7yTpH_Zr2nz

I don't have any idea whether there would be a vendor at the airport that could get this set up for you or not.  You may have to visit a local Corporate at&t store.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 3 of 3 (9,046 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.