New Thread for information re: MC Firmware updates

Scholar

New Thread for information re: MC Firmware updates

[ Edited ]

All

Many of you have been following the MC threads for some time. Those that know me know that I have patiently tried to explain some of the issues and have been part of a select group of MC testers which are getting to do field testing on some of the various fixes to some of the MC issues. I have no idea how big this group is but I do know the Jitter fix and range fix have NOT been pushed out yer. They will be part of a fix that includes a couple more updates and will be pushed out once the ATT QA process is complete. Anyone that has worked in a software shop will understand the importance of a QA cycle.

I kind of stopped posting due to the noise level in the forums and some of the simply stupid posts.

I think the mis-information spread in this forum needs to be corrected - and as many have said - word from ATT would go a long way but absent that I will post an occasional update.

I have had two test pushes in the last month that have completly fixed he Jitter issue and have given me extended range on the Microcell presumably by increasing the transmit power of the uint.

I have been in continuous contact with the Microcell Engineering group at ATT Network Engineering for specific tests and follow ups.

Next week, the test group will receive a push that addresses the dropped calls many of us have seen.

Following that (no date given yet) will be a push that addresses the upload data cap and issues with MMS.

I was asked if I had upgraqded my Iphone to 4.1 yet so possibly there is some give and take here between apple and cisco/Att - I did not ask.

Finally - this is is for any of you that are lucky enough to be in the test group. I mentioned to the engineer that I am seeing about 3 to 4 Mb a day of data from the MC even when the phones are idle and associated with my WiFi. I was told this is diagnostic data and will show up on my bill. Because one of my phones is on a limited data plan, Engineering contacted the billing office and had a credit issued for the data usage. I suggest if you are in this test group to monitor this data usage.

Everyone else - once this test and QA cycle is complete and you get these fixes the Microcell works like a charm.

Hang in there

Also filing complaints with the FCC, FTC, etc, etc just will get you aggrevated. It wont get the problem fixed.

Message 1 of 67 (24,671 Views)
Guru

Re: New Thread for information re: MC Firmware updates

AnClar wrote:

Nothing new in my area (central TX).  Latest iPhone speedtest still shows only 50k upload.  You're certain you tried this with wifi off?

Ditto here.

I did see a solid 2 mb/s download, which is pretty decent.  But upstream....still right on dial-up speed...56 kb/s.

Message 46 of 67 (1,642 Views)
Tutor

Yes, wifi is definitely off. 3G data is a completely different experience now. Several hours of phone calls since the update and all were crystal clear and jitter free. MMS messages go through quickly and reliably now in stark contrast to the prior experience.

A coworker with a microcell at home is experiencing the same thing. This is in downtown Los Angeles and the Hancock Park area.
Message 47 of 67 (1,561 Views)
Guru

That's encouraging and should offer some hope for others who have been having problems.

It'll be interesting to see if others in the L.A. area report the same results, and also to see if those improvements propagate around the country.

Message 48 of 67 (1,536 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

I de- and re-registered, and the uplink is still capped. It did look like it did some sort of firmware download while it came back up (the flickery 3G light followed by a reboot), but it's not behaving any differently. This is in the Bay Area.

Message 49 of 67 (1,495 Views)
Guru

nsayer wrote:

I de- and re-registered, and the uplink is still capped. It did look like it did some sort of firmware download while it came back up (the flickery 3G light followed by a reboot), but it's not behaving any differently. This is in the Bay Area.

It's next Thanksgiving it's coming to your house.Smiley Very Happy

Message 50 of 67 (1,484 Views)
Teacher

My upload is still capped at 47kbps. My dowload through the Microcell is so crappy that the speedtest.net app usually won't even run the test fully. It gets stuck halfway through the download. Half of the time it won't even get through testing the ping.
MMS's usually won't send at all.
Message 51 of 67 (1,998 Views)

No changes in Reno. Still getting > 500ms ping times, ~1000K download and 56K upload. Maybe firmware updates are being rolled out by region?
Message 52 of 67 (1,980 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Wireless_Guru wrote:
No changes in Reno. Still getting > 500ms ping times, ~1000K download and 56K upload. Maybe firmware updates are being rolled out by region?

At the risk of beating a VERY dead horse, the fact that we have to sit here and speculate about whether there will be, have been, or are ever going to be, any firmware updates to address the issues we've all been experiencing with the MCell is just plain sad and inexcusable on AT&T's part.  There are reasons why AT&T has just been rated the worst wireless provider in the United States by Consumer Reports...this is just one of them.

Message 53 of 67 (1,925 Views)
Scholar

AnClar wrote:

Wireless_Guru wrote:

At the risk of beating a VERY dead horse, the fact that we have to sit here and speculate about whether there will be, have been, or are ever going to be, any firmware updates to address the issues we've all been experiencing with the MCell is just plain sad and inexcusable on AT&T's part.  There are reasons why AT&T has just been rated the worst wireless provider in the United States by Consumer Reports...this is just one of them.

To add to that....

Having been in the firmware test group and having my MC work PERFECTLY since getting the firmware, it is sad that ATT cannot make this device work equally well across the supported footprint. For whatever reasons - geopgraphic, infrastructure, whatever. Aparently many have gotten the fix delivered to their MC.

As a note - My upload never changed from the 56k BUT MMS works very well. It also appears that when multiple devices are connected, each gets 56k and each has no issue with MMS. The only place this cap could possibly be an issue is when the control channel is used heavily -  as in txt or mms. For any other upload - like web browsing, the WiFi connection (if present) is used.

Message 54 of 67 (1,865 Views)
Tutor

Unless I missed this somewhere (entirely possible as it's a rather long thread), is there a date when these (or any) fixes will be pushed out to the community in general for this issue?  If not, how do I join the test group?  I would be more than happy to participate before my 30 day return window closes on this product.  I'd rather keep my MCell as signal in my area is horrible but not if it's problematic (etc).

thanks,

John

Message 55 of 67 (1,787 Views)
Explorer

I have the update and it definitely improves the voice quality.  I never have "skipping" anymore and the signal seems to be a little stronger.  I do frequently have dropped calls despite having a four or five bar signal.  Hopefully that will be fixed soon too.

Message 56 of 67 (1,773 Views)
Teacher

I have the same problem...I have no idea what firmware I have but I usually have to attempt making a call 3-5 times when on my Mcell and it immediately says Call Failed it's extremely frustrating on top of the fact that like most others the speeds are extremely slow no matter what speed connection you have from your broadband provider along with 500+ms ping time makes for a very slow MMS send or receive. I use wifi for everything that I can but somethings just can't be done on wifi.

Message 57 of 67 (1,725 Views)

Dellsweig,

Can you please ask your sources if there's any way to tell when the latest fix has been sent to the MicroCell. Noticeably improved ping times? Increased download speed? I get around 1Mbps on the MC, 2-3Mbps on the macro network, and 5Mbps on my Wi-fi network. Anything end users can test?
Message 58 of 67 (1,709 Views)
Scholar

Wireless_Guru wrote:
Dellsweig,

Can you please ask your sources if there's any way to tell when the latest fix has been sent to the MicroCell. Noticeably improved ping times? Increased download speed? I get around 1Mbps on the MC, 2-3Mbps on the macro network, and 5Mbps on my Wi-fi network. Anything end users can test?

The last I spoke with anyone from Microcell Engineering (in Atlanta) was back in the beginning of November - a wrap up call.

With the exception of the WiFi (I do way better then 5Mbps) the numbers you are seeing is the same as I am getting.

My range is very good - this morning sitting in my car outside the garage - I was still connected to the MC with 4 bars - 3 inside walls and insulated outside walls between me and the MC. I have no jitter and no issues sending or receiving MMS.

From what I see on the boards - many folks have gotten this update and are quite happy. It seems some have not - I dont know what to tell them.....

Message 59 of 67 (1,700 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

is there a way to fine out what firmware the MC is running? and is there an alert when there is a new firmware available?? Also I have no issues with making or receiving a call while on the MC but the data is so bad its like having no data at all. Just like other users i use my WIFI for everything on my phone bu as far as sending n receiving MMS it either takes too long or i never get them or they never send.

Message 60 of 67 (1,651 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.