Helpful Links

New Thread for information re: MC Firmware updates

Scholar

New Thread for information re: MC Firmware updates

All

Many of you have been following the MC threads for some time. Those that know me know that I have patiently tried to explain some of the issues and have been part of a select group of MC testers which are getting to do field testing on some of the various fixes to some of the MC issues. I have no idea how big this group is but I do know the Jitter fix and range fix have NOT been pushed out yer. They will be part of a fix that includes a couple more updates and will be pushed out once the ATT QA process is complete. Anyone that has worked in a software shop will understand the importance of a QA cycle.

I kind of stopped posting due to the noise level in the forums and some of the simply stupid posts.

I think the mis-information spread in this forum needs to be corrected - and as many have said - word from ATT would go a long way but absent that I will post an occasional update.

I have had two test pushes in the last month that have completly fixed he Jitter issue and have given me extended range on the Microcell presumably by increasing the transmit power of the uint.

I have been in continuous contact with the Microcell Engineering group at ATT Network Engineering for specific tests and follow ups.

Next week, the test group will receive a push that addresses the dropped calls many of us have seen.

Following that (no date given yet) will be a push that addresses the upload data cap and issues with MMS.

I was asked if I had upgraqded my Iphone to 4.1 yet so possibly there is some give and take here between apple and cisco/Att - I did not ask.

Finally - this is is for any of you that are lucky enough to be in the test group. I mentioned to the engineer that I am seeing about 3 to 4 Mb a day of data from the MC even when the phones are idle and associated with my WiFi. I was told this is diagnostic data and will show up on my bill. Because one of my phones is on a limited data plan, Engineering contacted the billing office and had a credit issued for the data usage. I suggest if you are in this test group to monitor this data usage.

Everyone else - once this test and QA cycle is complete and you get these fixes the Microcell works like a charm.

Hang in there

Also filing complaints with the FCC, FTC, etc, etc just will get you aggrevated. It wont get the problem fixed.

Message 1 of 67
Tutor

Re: New Thread for information re: MC Firmware updates

All I have to say is thank you for providing the information that you have.   Clearly AT&T has lost control of this situation from a QA standpoint.  We all just want to know that someone acknowledges that the problem is "real" and a "fix" is coming soon.  You have allayed both of those concerns.  In that, you are doing a service to us normal people out here.

The only thing that I would like you to take to Microcell engineering is the sincere suggestion that they allow us to turn off cellular data on the microcell.  Almost all of us have wifi also, and its just another thing that can go wrong that is unnecessary.  Why make the cellular radio do more than it has to?  Most of my problems go away when I turn it off on my iphone.  My two cents.

Also, please update us on the date of GA, and let us know after it has happened (since we can't see FW build no.)

Thanks for your help!

john

Message 31 of 67
Guru

jpbrewer wrote:

The only thing that I would like you to take to Microcell engineering is the sincere suggestion that they allow us to turn off cellular data on the microcell.  Almost all of us have wifi also, and its just another thing that can go wrong that is unnecessary.  Why make the cellular radio do more than it has to?  Most of my problems go away when I turn it off on my iphone.  My two cents.

Well, the problem with that is that turning off cellular data breaks a bunch of features on the phone (visual voicemail, MMS, location services, including find-my-iphone). So I would veto that suggestion, unless changes are made to allow those features to work over WiFi.

I'd actually rather that data through the microcell be unmeasured. It's much better to use 3G data than WiFi (modulo the difference in latency and bandwidth) in so far as you wind up getting a publicly reachable IP address and don't have any NAT or firewall issues. Believe it or not, I have an app on my phone (EchoLink) where this is an issue. If they got rid of the upload cap and allowed the data to be unmeasured, I'd probably actually use that instead of WiFi at home.

Message 32 of 67
Guru

dellsweig wrote:

ATT is a huge beast and as we discussed, those familiar with the SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) will understand the time it takes to make major changes to software..

Let's talk about the software development life cycle a bit. I'm a software engineer by trade. I write software for a living. I'm not perfect. I've written code that has bugs in it or that in some way didn't meet expectations. It happens.

WHEN it happens, the first thing that happens is that we determine the scope of the problem and determine how best to address it. Having done that, we come up with a plan to fix it. We then communicate that plan back to product management to make sure that the plan is going to address the needs of the customer. Product management keeps the customers informed, including when a fix is expected to be delivered, any potential work-arounds that might tide them over until then, and so on. Once the coding is done, a release-note is written documenting what the changes do. The documentation team gathers all of the change release notes into a release note document that is given to the customer to show what changed, why and what it means to them since the last release.

THAT'S the software development life cycle too. Not just writing and testing the code. The software development life cycle also touches the interactions with the customer.

Or, at least it's SUPPOSED to.

Message 33 of 67
Teacher

dellsweig:

Just in case you don't catch this in the other thread,  does the upcoming firmware fix the problem where certain phones will not automatically connect with the m-cell?

Thanks!

Message 34 of 67
Scholar

kenchills wrote:

dellsweig:

Just in case you don't catch this in the other thread,  does the upcoming firmware fix the problem where certain phones will not automatically connect with the m-cell?

Thanks!

I never had that issue and specific pushes to address that issue were not discussed by MC engineering. That said - there may be other testers involved in that...

Sorry....

Message 35 of 67
Highlighted
Explorer

kenchills wrote:

dellsweig:

Thanks!

I'm not the addressee of your original query, I'll jump in anyway.

An observation- after the most recent push I received I've noticed that it takes an extra couple of seconds for the macro-cell network to hand-off to the mcell (or, alternately, longer for the mcell to take control from the macro-cell). Sort of like it's being 'really sure' you're nearby... 

This may or may not be related to your question directly, but seems to have some implicit connection.

Message 36 of 67
Guru

bongoherbert wrote:

kenchills wrote:

dellsweig:

Thanks!

I'm not the addressee of your original query, I'll jump in anyway.

An observation- after the most recent push I received I've noticed that it takes an extra couple of seconds for the macro-cell network to hand-off to the mcell (or, alternately, longer for the mcell to take control from the macro-cell). Sort of like it's being 'really sure' you're nearby... 

This may or may not be related to your question directly, but seems to have some implicit connection.

Wait....are you saying that a call will now hand off from a macro-cell to a MicroCell?  That would be a huge improvement and would be the first I'm hearing of it.

Message 37 of 67
Explorer

Not a -call- but the service per se. Sorry to get your hopes up... it would be nice. 

Message 38 of 67

Message 39 of 67
Contributor

Since you've been doing traffic analysis, can you confirm that the FAQ is wrong and that the microcell doesn't need to have incoming traffic forwarded to it (e.g. ports 443, 4500, ...)

Message 40 of 67
Scholar

Jay Levitt wrote:

Since you've been doing traffic analysis, can you confirm that the FAQ is wrong and that the microcell doesn't need to have incoming traffic forwarded to it (e.g. ports 443, 4500, ...)

I do not forward ANY ports and I have uPnP disabled on my router. My MC works perfectly.

The MC uses a secure tunnel which it establishes (outbound). There is no need for inbound port forwarding.

Here is a snapshot of the OUTBOUND communication - there is NO inbound unsolicited communication.

192.168.1.1312.230.208.129UDP_App*UDPEF1.34 MB
192.168.1.1312.230.208.129UDP_App*UDPDefault1.01 MB
192.168.1.1312.230.208.131https443TCPDefault120.76 KB
192.168.1.1312.230.208.195https443TCPDefault30.17 KB
192.168.1.1312.230.208.133ntp123UDPDefault7.98 KB
192.168.1.1312.230.209.133ntp123UDPDefault7.9 KB
192.168.1.1312.230.209.5ntp123UDPDefault7.9 KB
192.168.1.1312.230.208.48ntp123UDPDefault7.82 KB
192.168.1.13192.168.1.1domain53UDPDefault866.00 Bytes
192.168.1.1312.230.208.129UDP_App*UDPCS6416.00 Bytes
Message 41 of 67
Mentor

I've found the same thing.

Initially mine did not work.  I tried setting up Port Forwarding as suggested in the FAQ and it didn't help.  I enabled UDP Fragment Re-assembly, and that fixed the problem.  Later on, I disabled the Port Forwarding, and it continues to work.

Message 42 of 67
Contributor

Thanks for the quick responses!  I had a feeling there was no inbound communication involved.

Message 43 of 67
Tutor

I think I just got a series of updates. The microcell has been up and down starting at exactly 1am and now I'm getting 200 kbps+ upload through it on my iPhone speedtest app. Maybe they're fixing it? Fingers crossed!

Message 44 of 67
Scholar

Nothing new in my area (central TX).  Latest iPhone speedtest still shows only 50k upload.  You're certain you tried this with wifi off?

Message 45 of 67
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support