Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 25, 2011
10:01:46 AM
View profile
New Phones

Hello,

I am currently using an HTC Tilt 2.  It's almost on it's last leg.  I am ready for an upgrade and I want to stick with a Windows phone.  Anyone have any scoop on new phones coming out?  I really like having a full qwerty.  My fingers are big and i don;t think I could type on the screen alone.

Thanks

Hello,

I am currently using an HTC Tilt 2.  It's almost on it's last leg.  I am ready for an upgrade and I want to stick with a Windows phone.  Anyone have any scoop on new phones coming out?  I really like having a full qwerty.  My fingers are big and i don;t think I could type on the screen alone.

Thanks

New Phones

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 10:54:38 AM
(0)
Scholar
I love Chicago

Re: New Phones

2 of 4 (906 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 1:54:16 PM
(0)
Coach

A1980GMC wrote:

Hello,

Thanks

The three devices above are the Windows Phones that are considered "Second Generation". They will be great, no doubt, an I will be outside my favorite store waiting to get one on release day.

As great as these devices will be, none of them offer a sliding keyboard.  This disappoints me, but wait, there's more! ;-)

Four things:

If you want a great Windows Phone device that has a great sliding keyboard, the LG Quantum is for you.  It has the best keyboard that I have used, just barely beating the HTC Touch Pro II (Tilt II).  It is old, in mobile device terms, but it is still great.  Plus, it will be even better with the coming update to WP7.5 (Mango).

Obviously the Quantum is subsidized with a 2yr contract, but the Dell Venue Pro is an unlocked Windows Phone that is a vertical slider style (very similar to the BB Torch 9900(?)).  This satisfies many users desires for a quality physical keyboard and a good-sized screen.  This of course will need to be purchased at retail price, but with sales and such, I have heard of people getting one for around $400 (USD).

I always felt that I NEEDED a full physical keyboard on my device.  With Windows Phone, I have changed my mind.  The virtual keyboard on the Windows Phone OS is amazing!  Many compare it with iOS5 for usability.  The Quantum I use has the smallest screen out of all Windows Phone devices at 3.5" diagonally, and I type easily in landscape mode on the screen.  Even the portrait onscreen qwerty is very good.  Much of this can be credited to the predictive text and auto-correct (much better than iOS's), but mostly because it will predict your next likely key to press and virtually enlarge the screen space for that key.  Literally, the faster you type, the better it predicts what you are likely to type, and helps you with the key presses. 

Basically, I have no fears whatsoever of getting a Windows Phone device that relies only on the onscreen virtual keyboard.

Lastly, you may be content to wait it out a few more months and see what else is released.  AT&T did say that the three devices listed above are "the Windows Phone offerings for the rest of the year".  But, Nokia is well rumored, but not confirmed,that they will be releasing hardware to AT&T in Q1 of '12.  The first ones from Nokia will not likely be sliders, but they (or other OEMs) may have some coming out soon after.  It just depends on how long you can make your Tilt II last!

A1980GMC wrote:

Hello,

Thanks

The three devices above are the Windows Phones that are considered "Second Generation". They will be great, no doubt, an I will be outside my favorite store waiting to get one on release day.

As great as these devices will be, none of them offer a sliding keyboard.  This disappoints me, but wait, there's more! ;-)

Four things:

If you want a great Windows Phone device that has a great sliding keyboard, the LG Quantum is for you.  It has the best keyboard that I have used, just barely beating the HTC Touch Pro II (Tilt II).  It is old, in mobile device terms, but it is still great.  Plus, it will be even better with the coming update to WP7.5 (Mango).

Obviously the Quantum is subsidized with a 2yr contract, but the Dell Venue Pro is an unlocked Windows Phone that is a vertical slider style (very similar to the BB Torch 9900(?)).  This satisfies many users desires for a quality physical keyboard and a good-sized screen.  This of course will need to be purchased at retail price, but with sales and such, I have heard of people getting one for around $400 (USD).

I always felt that I NEEDED a full physical keyboard on my device.  With Windows Phone, I have changed my mind.  The virtual keyboard on the Windows Phone OS is amazing!  Many compare it with iOS5 for usability.  The Quantum I use has the smallest screen out of all Windows Phone devices at 3.5" diagonally, and I type easily in landscape mode on the screen.  Even the portrait onscreen qwerty is very good.  Much of this can be credited to the predictive text and auto-correct (much better than iOS's), but mostly because it will predict your next likely key to press and virtually enlarge the screen space for that key.  Literally, the faster you type, the better it predicts what you are likely to type, and helps you with the key presses. 

Basically, I have no fears whatsoever of getting a Windows Phone device that relies only on the onscreen virtual keyboard.

Lastly, you may be content to wait it out a few more months and see what else is released.  AT&T did say that the three devices listed above are "the Windows Phone offerings for the rest of the year".  But, Nokia is well rumored, but not confirmed,that they will be releasing hardware to AT&T in Q1 of '12.  The first ones from Nokia will not likely be sliders, but they (or other OEMs) may have some coming out soon after.  It just depends on how long you can make your Tilt II last!

Re: New Phones

3 of 4 (881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2011 3:36:20 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by drjekel_mrhyde on Sep 22, 2011 at 3:36:42 PM

You could get the Venue Pro unlocked for $300 USD

http://www.dell.com/us/p/mobile-venue-pro/pd?~ck=mn

You could get the Venue Pro unlocked for $300 USD