Explore & discover

Helpful Links

New Owner: AT&T Galaxy S 2 Quirks/Issues

Highlighted
Tutor

New Owner: AT&T Galaxy S 2 Quirks/Issues

I love the phone. Everything about it is great except for a few quirks that I have noticed in the design.

First off is the removal of the lanyard hole on the rocker side of the phone.

My only guess is that they needed this room for additional hardware inside the phone, but since the only technical enhancement is NFC (which technically isn't activated) I am left worried about the additional hardware for no reason. This also borders with my suspition on why the phone got fatter by 0.2 mm.

Secondly, the missing button on the front which means we have to use the power button on the side to enter/exit stand-by.

The thumb button on the international version seems to be so much more convenient, and I find it a bit clumsy to have to hit the narrow side power button so often. This is exaserbated when it is placed opposite the volume rocker, I find myself knocking the volume down a notch or two every so often when forcing the phone back into stand-by. Also, when watching or reading something, having to hit the side button versus a front facing button with more realistate is inconvenient at best.

I'd be really interested to hear other owner's experiences and solutions to these two topics. Like I said, other than the above it is by far the best phone I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

Message 1 of 10

Re: New Owner: AT&T Galaxy S 2 Quirks/Issues

Infuse had no lanyard hole and the power button similarly located, never was a problem for me.

Since the GSII is smaller, it's easier to hit the power button than on the Infuse.

NFC is there, I've heard AT&T will be activating it in the future.  XDA might get around to it well before then though.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 10
Tutor

The lack of a lanyard hole is a non-issue to me, as I've never been one to use it. I can understand how it would be problematic for some people, and even certain cultures. The power button is taking some getting used to, though. I would've much preferred a "home" button at the bottom center of the face. I personally wouldn't dock the phone any points for this, though.
Message 3 of 10

What is a lanyard hole?

What is the rocker side of the phone?

Why would anyone prefer one home button at the bottom versus the 4 buttons that is has on the bottom?

Message 4 of 10
Scholar

@EightM wrote:

Secondly, the missing button on the front which means we have to use the power button on the side to enter/exit stand-by.

I'd be really interested to hear other owner's experiences and solutions to these two topics. Like I said, other than the above it is by far the best phone I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

LOVE THIS PHONE TOO!!  

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 5 of 10
Tutor

ATT told me there was a lanyard hole.. Are you saying there is no lanyard hole on the rocker side of the phone or no lanyard hole at all? Thanks
Message 6 of 10
Master

@CincinnatiDan wrote:

What is a lanyard hole?

What is the rocker side of the phone?

Why would anyone prefer one home button at the bottom versus the 4 buttons that is has on the bottom?

A lanyard hole is available on some phones much like they are available on digital cameras. You can thread a lanyard that goes around your wrist through the hole to keep from dropping the phone (or at least having a close call) or as added security from dropping the phone.

The rocker side of the phone is where the volume buttons are - the left hand side of the phone.

I agree with you, also. I like the original four Android buttons as opposed to one giant one in the middle. Although, the larger button in the middle available on the international version does differentiate some physical characteristics from the similar-looking Infuse...
I still like the four Android buttons better.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 7 of 10

Thanks.
Message 8 of 10
Master

You're welcome.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 9 of 10
Tutor

The benefit of the front facing 'Home' button was that it was physical, and being physical meant that it was used for waking the phone up from Stand-by. This is a huge convenience over having to hit the smaller power button on the side, especially since it gets easily covered by a phone case. 

Also, the power button is adjacent the top of the volume rocker, which leads to volume changes while interacting with it sometimes.

To clarify, there is no lanyard hole at all. 

A new topic, I tried out the speaker phone and was left wanting. Has anyone else experienced this yet? Any solutions to get a clearer microphone for the speakerphone function?

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you Missing Your BOGO Credits? If so, QuarryRye can you help figure out what happened and what to do about it!

Additional Support