Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 25, 2011
5:45:47 PM
New HTC Inspire User - Ques re contacts

Just got my HTC Inspire today, and I'm still learning my way around.  I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but this is really bugging me:

(1) Is there any way to organize contacts alphabetically by last name?  When they were copied over from my old phone, they're now arranged alphabetically by first name.

(2) Where is the delete key for contacts?  When the AT&T rep copied my contacts over, for some reason they are all in my contacts twice.  Luckily, I only have about 100 contacts, so I can go thru and delete them while I'm watching tv or something, but I can't find a delete key!  Lots of edit keys, and you can put in all kinds of info that wasn't available on my old phone. 

This phone looks like a lot of fun once I get everything figured out.  Right now I'm just learning how to make calls and send text messages! 

Thanks for you help!

Just got my HTC Inspire today, and I'm still learning my way around.  I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but this is really bugging me:

(1) Is there any way to organize contacts alphabetically by last name?  When they were copied over from my old phone, they're now arranged alphabetically by first name.

(2) Where is the delete key for contacts?  When the AT&T rep copied my contacts over, for some reason they are all in my contacts twice.  Luckily, I only have about 100 contacts, so I can go thru and delete them while I'm watching tv or something, but I can't find a delete key!  Lots of edit keys, and you can put in all kinds of info that wasn't available on my old phone. 

This phone looks like a lot of fun once I get everything figured out.  Right now I'm just learning how to make calls and send text messages! 

Thanks for you help!

New HTC Inspire User - Ques re contacts

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 6:16:31 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Stephono on Aug 25, 2011 at 6:19:38 PM

Hi MamaGrumpy This might really help you out, its a how to for a lot thing on your device. http://att.deviceanywhere.com/HTCInspire4G/tutorials

______

“I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.”

Hi MamaGrumpy This might really help you out, its a how to for a lot thing on your device. http://att.deviceanywhere.com/HTCInspire4G/tutorials

AT&T CSR, but anything this i say is not assssssossiaattteeddd with att as a company.

Re: New HTC Inspire User - Ques re contacts

[ Edited ]
2 of 6 (386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 7:30:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the link to the how-to manual - I haven't had a chance to really study it yet.  Somehow I got the option asking which "account" I wanted to see the contacts from, and I turned off the SIM and just kept the contacts on the phone, so now I don't have duplicates any more.  But they're still arranged by first name.  Looks like I have to go in an edit each contact - the contacts are set up differently on the HTC from my old phone: the HTC has separate fields for first and last name, and my old phone didn't.  I think that's the problem.  Oh well; I'll keep playing with it.

Thanks for the link to the how-to manual - I haven't had a chance to really study it yet.  Somehow I got the option asking which "account" I wanted to see the contacts from, and I turned off the SIM and just kept the contacts on the phone, so now I don't have duplicates any more.  But they're still arranged by first name.  Looks like I have to go in an edit each contact - the contacts are set up differently on the HTC from my old phone: the HTC has separate fields for first and last name, and my old phone didn't.  I think that's the problem.  Oh well; I'll keep playing with it.

3 of 6 (372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2011 3:35:30 AM
(0)
Master
To arrange contacts by last name, open the people application > press menu > view > select the "View contact name as" option.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
To arrange contacts by last name, open the people application > press menu > view > select the "View contact name as" option.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

4 of 6 (362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2011 5:50:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

That sounded like what I wanted, but it didn't work.  I think it's because on my old phone, I didn't have all the fields in my contacts - I entered them as "Smith, John cell" or "Smith, John work".  The HTC has individual fields for first name, last name, etc.  So I think what happened when they transferred over, the HTC saw "Smith" as first name, "John" as middle, and "cell" as last name.  You should see how many contacts now say:  "Cell, Smith"!!!  KWIM?  Oh well.....these learning curves are tough!

Thanks for your help anyway!

That sounded like what I wanted, but it didn't work.  I think it's because on my old phone, I didn't have all the fields in my contacts - I entered them as "Smith, John cell" or "Smith, John work".  The HTC has individual fields for first name, last name, etc.  So I think what happened when they transferred over, the HTC saw "Smith" as first name, "John" as middle, and "cell" as last name.  You should see how many contacts now say:  "Cell, Smith"!!!  KWIM?  Oh well.....these learning curves are tough!

Thanks for your help anyway!

5 of 6 (359 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2011 11:13:49 AM
(0)
Master
Sounds like some contacts cleanup may be in your future.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Sounds like some contacts cleanup may be in your future.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

6 of 6 (346 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments