Wireless Forums

Posted Nov 3, 2009
8:39:55 PM
View profile
New Computer, new iTunes - How to Sync?
Edited by artbytes on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:50:46 PM

I just got a new laptop. I want to now sync my iPhone with the new laptop, instead of the old one. Are there instructions anywhere on how to make the change?

When I installed iTunes on the new computer and tried to sync my phone with it, I got a message saying that it would wipe out all of the music, video and apps from the phone. I can change the music and video over since none of it is protected. I don't know what to do about the apps, though. I've paid for some of them and want to keep them.

I really wish that there was a setting in iTunes that let us determine which way a sync goes on any given time. I'd feel so much more secure knowing I wasn't going to wipe out everything and that I could just back it up to my computer when needed. I'm not really fond of the Apple "Big Brother" approach.

Message Edited by artbytes on 11-03-2009 08:50:46 PM

I just got a new laptop. I want to now sync my iPhone with the new laptop, instead of the old one. Are there instructions anywhere on how to make the change?

When I installed iTunes on the new computer and tried to sync my phone with it, I got a message saying that it would wipe out all of the music, video and apps from the phone. I can change the music and video over since none of it is protected. I don't know what to do about the apps, though. I've paid for some of them and want to keep them.

I really wish that there was a setting in iTunes that let us determine which way a sync goes on any given time. I'd feel so much more secure knowing I wasn't going to wipe out everything and that I could just back it up to my computer when needed. I'm not really fond of the Apple "Big Brother" approach.

Message Edited by artbytes on 11-03-2009 08:50:46 PM

New Computer, new iTunes - How to Sync?

[ Edited ]
16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2009 9:10:15 PM
(0)
Professor
Grab your old computer and locate your iTunes library file (iTunes Library.itl). Drag it along with all of your media (in the proper folder file structure) to your new laptop, or even better, onto an external storage device. Start up iTunes on the old laptop while holding the Shift key down. Tell it to choose for a library file and direct it to the file on the external drive. Sync your iPhone. Also make note of what drive letter it is assigned.

Now disconnect and connect the external storage to the new laptop. Change the drive letter, if necessary to the same one that it was assigned on the old laptop. Start up iTunes while holding the Shift key. Direct it to the library file. Sync your iPhone.

Now close iTunes. If you so desire, drag your media (while keeping the folder structure) onto the laptop. Open up iTunes while holding the Shift key one more time and direct it to whereever the library file is on your laptop. Sync your iPhone one last time and you should be good now.

The advantage to keeping your media on an external drive is that you can sync across multiple computers with one iPhone. The only thing you need to do is authorize them and direct them to find the media at first (you have to tell the pictures folder where to look for pictures. I believe this is the only media that you have to tell iTunes where to look for). I personally sync between my work computer, my home laptop and my girlfriend's laptop. After setting everything up, everything works flawlessly. I can download my apps at work and have access to a fast computer. I then see them at home and at my girlfriend's, and can update them there, and see the changes at work and on all other authorized computers. It's quite handy, although I do have to lug my external HDD around if I want to keep everything up-to-date. Otherwise, no iPhone syncing for that day.
Grab your old computer and locate your iTunes library file (iTunes Library.itl). Drag it along with all of your media (in the proper folder file structure) to your new laptop, or even better, onto an external storage device. Start up iTunes on the old laptop while holding the Shift key down. Tell it to choose for a library file and direct it to the file on the external drive. Sync your iPhone. Also make note of what drive letter it is assigned.

Now disconnect and connect the external storage to the new laptop. Change the drive letter, if necessary to the same one that it was assigned on the old laptop. Start up iTunes while holding the Shift key. Direct it to the library file. Sync your iPhone.

Now close iTunes. If you so desire, drag your media (while keeping the folder structure) onto the laptop. Open up iTunes while holding the Shift key one more time and direct it to whereever the library file is on your laptop. Sync your iPhone one last time and you should be good now.

The advantage to keeping your media on an external drive is that you can sync across multiple computers with one iPhone. The only thing you need to do is authorize them and direct them to find the media at first (you have to tell the pictures folder where to look for pictures. I believe this is the only media that you have to tell iTunes where to look for). I personally sync between my work computer, my home laptop and my girlfriend's laptop. After setting everything up, everything works flawlessly. I can download my apps at work and have access to a fast computer. I then see them at home and at my girlfriend's, and can update them there, and see the changes at work and on all other authorized computers. It's quite handy, although I do have to lug my external HDD around if I want to keep everything up-to-date. Otherwise, no iPhone syncing for that day.

Re: New Computer, new iTunes - How to Sync?

2 of 17 (4,505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2009 9:23:06 PM
(0)
Mentor
Thanks so much. I think it's a good idea to have the data on more than one computer. It's a nice backup - in case of disaster. Great idea.
Thanks so much. I think it's a good idea to have the data on more than one computer. It's a nice backup - in case of disaster. Great idea.

3 of 17 (4,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2009 9:58:54 PM
(0)
Professor

iTunes 9 has awesome feature called Home Sharing (you can share any or all of your library... Make sure both of your computer Store Authorized... Here is a YouTube video I trimmed for you from Apple's event explaining a little bit how to use Home Sharing: iTunes 9 Home Sharing

Screenshot2009-11-03at113450PM.png picture by iPhone_3_GS

Screenshot2009-11-03at112304PM.png picture by iPhone_3_GS

iTunes 9 has awesome feature called Home Sharing (you can share any or all of your library... Make sure both of your computer Store Authorized... Here is a YouTube video I trimmed for you from Apple's event explaining a little bit how to use Home Sharing: iTunes 9 Home Sharing

Screenshot2009-11-03at113450PM.png picture by iPhone_3_GS

Screenshot2009-11-03at112304PM.png picture by iPhone_3_GS

4 of 17 (4,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2009 7:47:27 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Caretaker on Nov 5, 2009 at 10:48:49 AM

EBSkater wrote:

That is the DUMBEST thing I have ever seen.  I should be able to sync my IPhone to ANY computer that I have ITunes on if I so desire, if I purchase the apps and music, it shouldn't matter if I get a new computer or not, once I reinstall ITunes on it I should be able to log into my ITunes account and that should authorize my phone to sync ALL my apps with my computer.

{ Please keep it courteous }

Message Edited by Caretaker on 11-05-2009 10:48:49 AM

EBSkater wrote:

That is the DUMBEST thing I have ever seen.  I should be able to sync my IPhone to ANY computer that I have ITunes on if I so desire, if I purchase the apps and music, it shouldn't matter if I get a new computer or not, once I reinstall ITunes on it I should be able to log into my ITunes account and that should authorize my phone to sync ALL my apps with my computer.

Message Edited by Caretaker on 11-05-2009 10:48:49 AM

[ Edited ]
5 of 17 (4,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2009 7:55:58 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Caretaker on Nov 5, 2009 at 10:53:23 AM

elrondius wrote:

EBSkater wrote:

If you do not like the way iTunes works, don't use it.  Sell your iPhone and buy a device that gives you more control.

Otherwise, it is the way it is.

Message Edited by Caretaker on 11-05-2009 10:53:23 AM

elrondius wrote:

EBSkater wrote:

If you do not like the way iTunes works, don't use it.  Sell your iPhone and buy a device that gives you more control.

Message Edited by Caretaker on 11-05-2009 10:53:23 AM

[ Edited ]
6 of 17 (4,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2009 8:32:11 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Caretaker on Nov 5, 2009 at 10:52:10 AM

satchev wrote:

elrondius wrote:

EBSkater wrote:

What a major leap of stupidity.

{ Please keep it courteous } so what if you lose your hard drive with your ITunes on it....you should be able to log into your ITunes account on a new computer and sync your apps on your phone to it...that's ridiculous that Apple screws you that way.

Message Edited by Caretaker on 11-05-2009 10:52:10 AM

satchev wrote:

elrondius wrote:

EBSkater wrote:

What a major leap of stupidity.

{ Please keep it courteous } so what if you lose your hard drive with your ITunes on it....you should be able to log into your ITunes account on a new computer and sync your apps on your phone to it...that's ridiculous that Apple screws you that way.

Message Edited by Caretaker on 11-05-2009 10:52:10 AM

[ Edited ]
7 of 17 (4,342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2009 8:56:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

elron,

I have to say, after reading many of your posts on various topics, I would like to respond, but I don't believe in feeding trolls/snarkers!

elron,

I have to say, after reading many of your posts on various topics, I would like to respond, but I don't believe in feeding trolls/snarkers!

8 of 17 (4,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2009 9:21:55 AM
(0)
Master
It sounds like our OP didn't authorize the new computer with his/her account info.
It sounds like our OP didn't authorize the new computer with his/her account info.

9 of 17 (4,324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2009 4:07:16 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Doppler808 on Nov 5, 2009 at 4:08:23 PM

TallGuy1970 wrote:

elron,

Someone else is starting to get the picture. lol
So Elron, so what is it that you have a problem with? Apple or AT&T? Why do you even have an iPhone? Did you really think everything through or did you go on an impulse buy like millions of americans?
Message Edited by Doppler808 on 11-05-2009 02:08:23 PM

TallGuy1970 wrote:

elron,

Someone else is starting to get the picture. lol
So Elron, so what is it that you have a problem with? Apple or AT&T? Why do you even have an iPhone? Did you really think everything through or did you go on an impulse buy like millions of americans?
Message Edited by Doppler808 on 11-05-2009 02:08:23 PM

[ Edited ]
10 of 17 (4,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2009 11:26:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks so much for the helpful message and video. It's great.

I just tried setting this up between the two computers. I only got part way. I authorized both computers and turned Home Sharing on on both. The library from the old computer showed up on the list in iTunes on the new computer. (Though not vice versa. The new computer library did not show on the list in the old computer.)

On the new computer, even though I could see the name of the Library from the old computer, when I click on it to get the list of items, I get an error message. It says it can't connect and be sure that the Firewalls on both computers allow port 3989. I did add that port on my old computer. The computer says that all ports are allowed, so I just left that. 

Now, I don't know what to do. The old computer is Windows Vista Ultimate. The new computer is Windows 7.

Thanks so much for the helpful message and video. It's great.

I just tried setting this up between the two computers. I only got part way. I authorized both computers and turned Home Sharing on on both. The library from the old computer showed up on the list in iTunes on the new computer. (Though not vice versa. The new computer library did not show on the list in the old computer.)

On the new computer, even though I could see the name of the Library from the old computer, when I click on it to get the list of items, I get an error message. It says it can't connect and be sure that the Firewalls on both computers allow port 3989. I did add that port on my old computer. The computer says that all ports are allowed, so I just left that. 

Now, I don't know what to do. The old computer is Windows Vista Ultimate. The new computer is Windows 7.

11 of 17 (1,834 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2009 7:29:52 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having a problem with an iphone and itunes...

I have an ipod and my boyfriend has an iphone. His iphone was synced to another computer and we've just figured out how to sync and backup his iphone to my computer/library in itunes, ie we've authorised his iphone to my computer. However, even though i can now have all his songs on my ipod we can't work out a way to put any new songs on his iphone..itunes says it's syncing but it doesn't actually add any new content. He doesn't want to lose the £400+ of apps and songs he's bought but he'd like to have some of the songs i've bought. It seems a little strange that i can have his bought songs on my ipod but he can't get any of mine on his.

Could someone please explain how to transfer my songs onto his iphone..we're completely in the dark. Thanks in advance.

I'm having a problem with an iphone and itunes...

I have an ipod and my boyfriend has an iphone. His iphone was synced to another computer and we've just figured out how to sync and backup his iphone to my computer/library in itunes, ie we've authorised his iphone to my computer. However, even though i can now have all his songs on my ipod we can't work out a way to put any new songs on his iphone..itunes says it's syncing but it doesn't actually add any new content. He doesn't want to lose the £400+ of apps and songs he's bought but he'd like to have some of the songs i've bought. It seems a little strange that i can have his bought songs on my ipod but he can't get any of mine on his.

Could someone please explain how to transfer my songs onto his iphone..we're completely in the dark. Thanks in advance.

12 of 17 (1,719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2009 12:49:30 PM
(0)
Professor
Did you read any of the messages in this thread? Go look at the second reply in this thread, first page. It's an explanation of how to move one iTunes library to another computer.
Did you read any of the messages in this thread? Go look at the second reply in this thread, first page. It's an explanation of how to move one iTunes library to another computer.

13 of 17 (1,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2009 2:41:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yes i did read the other messages on the page..my problem is that i can't drag/paste/copy anything from my boyfriend's computer as it's completely dead and inaccessible. We've registered his iphone to my computer, we've synced it so that all his songs and apps are on my computer in an itunes folder, what we can't do is put any new songs on his iphone. I have all his songs on my ipod because they're now in a shared library, but he can't add any new songs to his iphone from the same shared library. I've manually dragged and dropped songs onto the 'purchased songs' track list and resynced the phone but it doesn't actually add them to his phone.

Do we have to completely wipe his iphone in order to get any new stuff onto it? Will everything..songs/apps...that are at the moment showing up in itunes, still be available to put back onto his iphone once we've wiped it? And if so, how do we get them back on? It sounds like such an easy task but i'm scared of wiping his iphone and losing everything and not being able to get it back.

Yes i did read the other messages on the page..my problem is that i can't drag/paste/copy anything from my boyfriend's computer as it's completely dead and inaccessible. We've registered his iphone to my computer, we've synced it so that all his songs and apps are on my computer in an itunes folder, what we can't do is put any new songs on his iphone. I have all his songs on my ipod because they're now in a shared library, but he can't add any new songs to his iphone from the same shared library. I've manually dragged and dropped songs onto the 'purchased songs' track list and resynced the phone but it doesn't actually add them to his phone.

Do we have to completely wipe his iphone in order to get any new stuff onto it? Will everything..songs/apps...that are at the moment showing up in itunes, still be available to put back onto his iphone once we've wiped it? And if so, how do we get them back on? It sounds like such an easy task but i'm scared of wiping his iphone and losing everything and not being able to get it back.

14 of 17 (1,673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2009 7:17:25 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by free Wireless on Nov 21, 2009 at 7:28:24 AM

http://www.andrewgrant.org/2008/03/30/how-to-sync-an-iphone-with-two-or-more-computers.html

when it tries to sync with the new computer, CANNED IT!

I followed this guide, at first i was lazy I didn't read everything.

thats where i screwed up, butif you follow it exactly,

you will gain full control to your iphone.

after that do this

on itune after synced click on the iphone and reset prompts.

then resync it will ask you if you want itune to sync app auto matically. ANSWER NO

this way you don't have to deal with delete apps.

for music/videos you drag and drop manually.

Message Edited by free Wireless on 11-21-2009 07:28:24 AM

http://www.andrewgrant.org/2008/03/30/how-to-sync-an-iphone-with-two-or-more-computers.html

when it tries to sync with the new computer, CANNED IT!

I followed this guide, at first i was lazy I didn't read everything.

thats where i screwed up, butif you follow it exactly,

you will gain full control to your iphone.

after that do this

on itune after synced click on the iphone and reset prompts.

then resync it will ask you if you want itune to sync app auto matically. ANSWER NO

this way you don't have to deal with delete apps.

for music/videos you drag and drop manually.

Message Edited by free Wireless on 11-21-2009 07:28:24 AM

[ Edited ]
15 of 17 (1,616 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2009 4:18:19 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by pamelaz on Nov 21, 2009 at 4:43:25 PM
I realize this isn't AT&T's fault, but this just blows. Lost the hard drive on main PC, luckily had everything backed up in offline storage, but still lost a few things. But the FACT that everything was on my iPhone and Apple wasn't smart enough to design the sync software to refer to my account and/or directly to what's on the iPhone is assinine. This just adds to the pile of crap I have against Apple, the iPhone and the whole "Mac" thing. It's really to bad, because the basic ideas and concepts of the iPhone were really good. Then you run into stupid crap like this and it just shoots any positives right out the window. Why on god's green earth would syncing up a device after disaster recovery be so {word filter evasion} complicated!
Message Edited by pamelaz on 11-21-2009 07:43:25 PM
I realize this isn't AT&T's fault, but this just blows. Lost the hard drive on main PC, luckily had everything backed up in offline storage, but still lost a few things. But the FACT that everything was on my iPhone and Apple wasn't smart enough to design the sync software to refer to my account and/or directly to what's on the iPhone is assinine. This just adds to the pile of crap I have against Apple, the iPhone and the whole "Mac" thing. It's really to bad, because the basic ideas and concepts of the iPhone were really good. Then you run into stupid crap like this and it just shoots any positives right out the window. Why on god's green earth would syncing up a device after disaster recovery be so {word filter evasion} complicated!

[ Edited ]
16 of 17 (1,579 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2009 10:03:28 PM
(0)
Professor

Magnum314 wrote:

I agree with what Apple does. There is so much piracy going on that they wanted to reduce the piracy. Being a developer myself I would hate to see something I worked hard on and only 100 out of 1,000,000 people paid for it. It's all about perspective :smileysad:

Magnum314 wrote:

I agree with what Apple does. There is so much piracy going on that they wanted to reduce the piracy. Being a developer myself I would hate to see something I worked hard on and only 100 out of 1,000,000 people paid for it. It's all about perspective :smileysad:

17 of 17 (1,556 Views)