Helpful Links

New Android 3.0 phone coming to AT&T???

Teacher

New Android 3.0 phone coming to AT&T???

Message 1 of 9
Scholar

Re: New Android 3.0 phone coming to AT&T???

Sounds nice.  Hopefully it will come with a big screen.

Message 2 of 9
Teacher

Theres also the possibility that it may be a tablet and not a smartphone. I would presume the screen size would be 4-4.3"....more waiting for us. I personally would prefer an HTC high-end android phone but this is pretty exciting.

Message 3 of 9
Contributor

I'll believe it when it's in ATT stores.

Message 4 of 9
Mentor

Agreed a large htc phone would be the best way for them to go.
Message 5 of 9
Mentor

All the other carriers are killing it. Catering to the techies.. Instead we get the APPLE, windows 7 garbage for the masses.  U suck att

Message 6 of 9
Teacher

Well there have been a number of announcements lately than may be beneficial for us android lovers on AT&T. First off I believe the next version of Android is 2.3 (Gingerbread) and there are 1 or 2 possibly high end devices making their way to the carrier. Samsung has an announcement on Nov 8 where they MAY possibly be announcing a Google experience phone (similar to what they did with HTC for the Nexus One). At this time its going by Nexus Two and Nexus S but there aren't much details. The other one, which I think I've mentioned before is the Motorola Olympus which is supposedly the first dual core device, which will also be sporting android. I'm trying to hold out on importing a Desire HD (and not having 3G) for something along the lines of these 2 phones. We shall see...

Message 7 of 9
Professor

Last word I've seen, seems to suggest (but not definitively confirm) that Android 3.0/Gingerbread is only for tablets, and represents a "fork" in the Android development roadmap (tablets vs. smartphones).  But still too much unknown about Gingerbread.

http://mashable.com/2010/10/22/google-android-gingerbread/

Disappointing, if true.  Like many others,  I am curious what Google has in store next for the Android smartphone OS.

Message 8 of 9
Scholar

kirked247 wrote:

Well there have been a number of announcements lately than may be beneficial for us android lovers on AT&T. First off I believe the next version of Android is 2.3 (Gingerbread) and there are 1 or 2 possibly high end devices making their way to the carrier.

But you're forgetting ATT's pathetic history of releasing 90% of their phones with an android OS that's two or more generations behind.....and a very sketchy history with updates to the recent version. Granted, it seems that all the carriers have at least a small issue with this, but ATT and android seem to be the worst.

The other one, which I think I've mentioned before is the Motorola Olympus which is supposedly the first dual core device, which will also be sporting android.

Seems that ATT only gets the 'freaky' Motorola phones, so have no faith that this, or anything else slightly impressive, will ever make it here. 

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support