New AT&T Data Plans announced:

New AT&T Data Plans announced:

Message 1 of 73 (4,436 Views)
Scholar

Re: New AT&T Data Plans announced:

foxbat121 wrote:

Two sizes still better than one-size-fits-all Smiley Happy

The only true victims in this shift are those paid extra for an iPad 3G.

No there is another victim and that is the person like myself that was  a heavy smartphone user sold it got a feature phone since I wanted to wait for a good smartphone to hit and now will not be able to get an unlimited data plan.

Only thing that I can think that will be a good out of this is that the OS will get some better code to use less data. Android is bad and apple is horrid.

Message 16 of 73 (2,833 Views)
Master

I use nothing but smartphone in past 10 years. It really doesn't require a lot of data unless you do streaming or tethering. 2G cap is plenty for normal use even if you browse internet a lot.

Message 19 of 73 (2,802 Views)
Teacher

Well you all have until June 7 to get yourself an unlimited data plan for $30 if that's what you want.  What I would really like to see is data rollover. If I don't use my 250mb this month add on the unused amount I PAID for to next month. C'mon AT&T!! Do me a solid!

Message 20 of 73 (2,759 Views)

HTC Pure, $30 a month for the data plan, and I still can't stream most internet media?

When I ordered the phone, the product details proclaimed (and I was personally assured) that the unit was capable of streaming internet radio, and that it shouldn't cost extra with the data plan.   But nothing will play.  I browse to a broadcast station's website, and click where I would normally do so if I were sitting in front of my PC, and generally what happens is a .PLS file downloads.  It downloads successfully at that, with a nice little check mark when it's done.   But it doesn't do anything.   It just sits there.

Meanwhile, the Streaming Media app that came with the phone requires a known RTSP URL to be typed in, and RTSP URLs are as hard to find as hen's teeth.   Through obsessive searching I found one site that has a half-dozen RTSP streams of trance music, which is fine except for the fact that it's not the only kind of music I like to listen to.   Where do I get my jazz, indie pop, classical, and alternative rock?   Note that the time when I most like to listen to music is when I'm away from my computer so it's very important to me that I can do it with my phone. 

What else can I add?  Some kinds of broadcast source streaming works fine.  I can browse to the website of Der Spiegel and watch the video clips.   I suppose most stored clips work fine.  But I sure can't find much to stream live.

Message 17 of 73 (2,802 Views)

Re: HTC Pure, $30 a month for the data plan, and I still can't stream most internet media?

And now it seems to be moot, because I've just lost the headphone adapter, from what I have heard not much easier to replace than it is to find rtsp streams.  Go, me.

Message 18 of 73 (2,796 Views)
Professor

Re: HTC Pure, $30 a month for the data plan, and I still can't stream most internet media?

[ Edited ]

Pithecanthropus wrote:

And now it seems to be moot, because I've just lost the headphone adapter, from what I have heard not much easier to replace than it is to find rtsp streams.  Go, me.

Uhhh, found these in about 5 seconds:

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-3-5mm-Headset-Adapter-Converter/dp/B001RXTDP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electro...

http://www.amazon.com/Headset-Adapter-PPC6800-Verizon-T-Mobile/dp/B0016D9URO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=ap...

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Headphone-Adapter-Cable-Google/dp/B002S50USW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=elect...

http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Headset-Speaker-Adaptor-phones/dp/B0013URK04/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=wire...

And plenty on eBay also.

You won't find them much at brick and mortar stores.  But they are at plenty of places online.  I ordered 3 of the slimmer non-OEM type, since they cost close to nothing, and depending on the vendor, the shipping price isn't going to change much.   Nice to have some spares around in the car, travel bag, etc.

Message 21 of 73 (2,343 Views)

I did find the headphone adapter this morning

Message 22 of 73 (2,335 Views)

I might be wrong about AT&T ... but I have to disagree. No for profit company I know does a study and  changes their pricing model model to make "less" money.  If the studies you're quoting are true and 98% of us use less than 2GB per month... AT&T would be making "more" money keeping the existing $30 unlimitted data model with bandwithd to spare as only 2% of their users exceed this 2GB quoata.

Not if a cheaper plan means a lot more customers will come on board.  A lot of people would like to have smartphones just for the organizational gadgets and some access to the Internet, but don't want to pay as much extra for that as as they do for their internet access at home.

Message 23 of 73 (2,327 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]
Accidently touched the "post" link on the mobile page...
Message 24 of 73 (2,309 Views)

I'm reading references to the "screamers" who stream video, but how many megabytes do I consume by streaming audio-only content?   The most obvious example would be music, of course, and I realize that there must be a wide variability of bandwidth consumption between different types and arrangements of music.   But in general, how does it compare to AV?   As a visual analogy, if a minute of streamed video is like a standard sheet of letter-sized paper, then a minute of streamed audio would be -- what?  Like a postage stamp?

Message 25 of 73 (2,269 Views)
Professor

At&t is trying to save itself at the same time.  I am not saying at&t is trying to save us money.  At&t wants every dime it can get, but in this case, it is also good for us.

There were several published reports a few months ago that at&t was considering how to eliminate the excessive bandwidth use of a small number of thier customers.  The lack of bandwidth issue is becoming critical, and at&t is trying to keep from having a major catastrophe by getting smartphone users to use less data.  If they were to simply put limits on the $30 plan, the outcry would be deafening.  So they were forced to drop the price when they put the limits on.  They also would be reluctant to actually force the heavy users off the network, so they created the plans that would make such usage possible, but expensive. 

Message 26 of 73 (2,262 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

I hear you... but these new plans do absolutely nothing "at this point" to curve the abusers as it grandfathers the existing users of unlimited data plans with and without contracts. Read their announcement here  "Current smartphone customers are not required to switch to the new plans, but can choose to do so without a contract extension." This is not about the data hogs... this is a "strategic" move. The hogs will be taken care of later via increase network capacity (investment in infrastructure) and change of usage rules that will take place once the "majority" of existing unlimited contracts expire and are not renewed as unlimited.

Yes, these new plans will even get more folks to sign up for data services as they see a lower entry cost point... This is the hook... Once they sign up for two years they're now captive. As users discover all these new streamed data services that are emerging they will try them...  This is the bait....   AT&T's own projected numbers that are disclosed in their prospectus and communication to share holders emphasizes  increased revenues based on increase wireless data use from existing subscribers with lesser emphasis on increased revenue from the number of new subscribers. Once the fish are in the pond is easy pickings... No more unlimited data all of us will be metered.

Message 27 of 73 (2,239 Views)
Scholar

FredW wrote:

At&t is trying to save itself at the same time.  I am not saying at&t is trying to save us money.  At&t wants every dime it can get, but in this case, it is also good for us.

There were several published reports a few months ago that at&t was considering how to eliminate the excessive bandwidth use of a small number of thier customers.  The lack of bandwidth issue is becoming critical, and at&t is trying to keep from having a major catastrophe by getting smartphone users to use less data.  If they were to simply put limits on the $30 plan, the outcry would be deafening.  So they were forced to drop the price when they put the limits on.  They also would be reluctant to actually force the heavy users off the network, so they created the plans that would make such usage possible, but expensive. 

I disagree that it is good for us. In the cisco report on wireless bandwidth it showed the adverage user using 1.3gb. With just that is does not sound so bad but consider that it also says that it will be 7gb by 2014. That is an adverage increase of 1.4gb a year per month. So after the first year if someone gives up the unlimited plan will be $5 more per month to have the 2.7gb needed. Then the next year it will go to $25 more per month to get the 4.1gb a month. This assumes that they will not change the data plans again but just think about if they do not then it a very bad thing for us.

Message 28 of 73 (2,201 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

quetzalcoatl wrote:

I disagree that it is good for us. In the cisco report on wireless bandwidth it showed the adverage user using 1.3gb. With just that is does not sound so bad but consider that it also says that it will be 7gb by 2014. That is an adverage increase of 1.4gb a year per month. So after the first year if someone gives up the unlimited plan will be $5 more per month to have the 2.7gb needed. Then the next year it will go to $25 more per month to get the 4.1gb a month. This assumes that they will not change the data plans again but just think about if they do not then it a very bad thing for us.

Can you show the link for your source? The numbers don't add up. I have checked a few of my friends and most of us use less than 200MB per month. Only the ones doing constant streaming getting mulit-GB data consumption per month.

Of course, there will be more data consumption down the road with 4G LTE. You will be sure the data plan will change.

Message 29 of 73 (2,197 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

foxbat121 wrote:

quetzalcoatl wrote:

Can you show the link for your source? The numbers don't add up. I have checked a few of my friends and most of us use less than 200MB per month. Only the ones doing constant streaming getting mulit-GB data consumption per month.

Of course, there will be more data consumption down the road with 4G LTE. You will be sure the data plan will change.

It is all moble broadband not smartphone.

http://gigaom.com/2010/02/09/cisco-the-mobilpocalypse-is-coming/

But even so this change will hit hard on usage.

Message 30 of 73 (2,189 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.