(72)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2010 7:51:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

And how about a cost per unit now.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/blog/mobile-devices/the-big-four-data-plans-compared

So they are making it cheaper by charging over double per unit on the high plan and over 12X the cost on the low plan.

Sorry but how dumb do they think we are?

http://www.technobuffalo.com/blog/mobile-devices/the-big-four-data-plans-compared

So they are making it cheaper by charging over double per unit on the high plan and over 12X the cost on the low plan.

Re: New AT&T Data Plans announced:

31 of 73 (2,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2010 10:54:25 PM
(0)
Guru

Actually, the person that wrote the article for technobuffalo obviously thinks that everyone is pretty dumb.  The cost comparison in the link is intentionally skewed to make their case.  The unlimited data calculation assumed 5 GB per month data usage.  A valid comparison would use the same amount of data so simple math shows that 2 GB of data under the $25 per month plan is actually $12.5 per GB (or 1.25 cents per MB, not the value of 1.3 cents per MB in the link) while the cost for 2 GB of data under the $30 per month plan is $15 per GB.

The unit cost per GB will continue to go down as a user increases the data used but the monthly billing obviously increases which is part of the business strategy for those consuming the majority of the bandwidth.

My concern is whether or not users upgrading to a smartphone will be allowed to use the 200 MB per month plan or if smartphone users will be forced to use the higher cost 2 GB per month plan.  It also doesn't make sense that there are additonal charges or text messages as the same delivery system is used for text as is used for data and the MMS portion of text messaging is included in the data useage.

Actually, the person that wrote the article for technobuffalo obviously thinks that everyone is pretty dumb.  The cost comparison in the link is intentionally skewed to make their case.  The unlimited data calculation assumed 5 GB per month data usage.  A valid comparison would use the same amount of data so simple math shows that 2 GB of data under the $25 per month plan is actually $12.5 per GB (or 1.25 cents per MB, not the value of 1.3 cents per MB in the link) while the cost for 2 GB of data under the $30 per month plan is $15 per GB.

The unit cost per GB will continue to go down as a user increases the data used but the monthly billing obviously increases which is part of the business strategy for those consuming the majority of the bandwidth.

My concern is whether or not users upgrading to a smartphone will be allowed to use the 200 MB per month plan or if smartphone users will be forced to use the higher cost 2 GB per month plan.  It also doesn't make sense that there are additonal charges or text messages as the same delivery system is used for text as is used for data and the MMS portion of text messaging is included in the data useage.

32 of 73 (2,306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2010 11:09:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

tilteduser wrote:

Except for the fact there was a soft cap on the existinng plan of 5gb and it was never inforced but still you payed $30 for 5gb not 2gb does not matter if people did not use it that is what it was for.So to say they should compare it at 2gb is ludicrous. When comparing prices you look at the price get pay and how much you get to get a price per unit.  Granted they did not carry it out to 2 decmial places which they should have but it still stands that under the new plan data is twice the cost at a minimum. They have said in the press release very clearly that smartphone users can take the 200mb plan and change between the plans as they want and not affect the contract.

tilteduser wrote:

Except for the fact there was a soft cap on the existinng plan of 5gb and it was never inforced but still you payed $30 for 5gb not 2gb does not matter if people did not use it that is what it was for.So to say they should compare it at 2gb is ludicrous. When comparing prices you look at the price get pay and how much you get to get a price per unit.  Granted they did not carry it out to 2 decmial places which they should have but it still stands that under the new plan data is twice the cost at a minimum. They have said in the press release very clearly that smartphone users can take the 200mb plan and change between the plans as they want and not affect the contract.

33 of 73 (2,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 4:12:51 AM
(0)
Master

quetzalcoatl wrote:

It is all moble broadband not smartphone.

http://gigaom.com/2010/02/09/cisco-the-mobilpocalypse-is-coming/

But even so this change will hit hard on usage.

Sorry, do you realize that mobile broadband plan today costs $60/mo for 5GB. The Smartphone data plan change didn't affect this.

quetzalcoatl wrote:

It is all moble broadband not smartphone.

http://gigaom.com/2010/02/09/cisco-the-mobilpocalypse-is-coming/

But even so this change will hit hard on usage.

Sorry, do you realize that mobile broadband plan today costs $60/mo for 5GB. The Smartphone data plan change didn't affect this.

34 of 73 (2,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 4:16:11 AM
(0)
Master

quetzalcoatl wrote:

Unit price only makes sense if you actually use that much. With average smartphone data usage around 200MB, the unit price actually decreses if most ppl opt for the $15/m plan. With the congested network AT&T has today in most big cities, you can't use much data even if you try to do it 24/7. 

quetzalcoatl wrote:

Unit price only makes sense if you actually use that much. With average smartphone data usage around 200MB, the unit price actually decreses if most ppl opt for the $15/m plan. With the congested network AT&T has today in most big cities, you can't use much data even if you try to do it 24/7. 

35 of 73 (2,283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 4:51:41 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by tamanaco on Jun 4, 2010 at 5:02:01 AM

All you have to do is look at the "existing" historical data of wireless and wired data usage. Deja vu...  I had similar discussions with folks that thought that a 1GB hard drive and 128MB of memory were enough because programmers were going to optimize thier code to use even less RAM memory and storage... and because users were not going to be able to "ever" use all that storage...  Boloney!!! Data usage per subscriber is going up and telcos know it. The investments that telcos are making in their infrastructure to increase capacity and the investments that technology companies are making to take advantage of this capacity are real. As an example just take a look at what Apple plans to do in the future with  iTunes... Soon users will be able to stream to their iPhones music from their libraries, sample streamed music from iTunes before purchase and listen to "future" streamed music channels for a fee. Apple did not recently purchase a company (Lala) that specializes on streaming music just to have it sit in their coffers. AT&T sees the writing on the wall X number of iPhone users = X number of iTunes users... iTune users start to use the streaming services... Add it up... network usage per iPhone user goes up.... More data, more money, more data more money. Of course they'll be those that won't use stream services... heck I have an uncle that still uses a typewriter and friends that don't even own cell phones... But I doubt that these individuals are in AT&T's target audience. Their target audience are user with great "potential" to increase their data use... Guess who these "captive" users are?. They own the bridge and the toll booth... No more monthly easypasses... pay per crossing at the booth. The business decision to change the plan was not made based on the “current” average usage, historical usage of wireless data or to lowers subscriber's fees. This is a well thought out strategic move based on the “projected” (and almost certain) increase of data usage per subscriber.

All you have to do is look at the "existing" historical data of wireless and wired data usage. Deja vu...  I had similar discussions with folks that thought that a 1GB hard drive and 128MB of memory were enough because programmers were going to optimize thier code to use even less RAM memory and storage... and because users were not going to be able to "ever" use all that storage...  Boloney!!! Data usage per subscriber is going up and telcos know it. The investments that telcos are making in their infrastructure to increase capacity and the investments that technology companies are making to take advantage of this capacity are real. As an example just take a look at what Apple plans to do in the future with  iTunes... Soon users will be able to stream to their iPhones music from their libraries, sample streamed music from iTunes before purchase and listen to "future" streamed music channels for a fee. Apple did not recently purchase a company (Lala) that specializes on streaming music just to have it sit in their coffers. AT&T sees the writing on the wall X number of iPhone users = X number of iTunes users... iTune users start to use the streaming services... Add it up... network usage per iPhone user goes up.... More data, more money, more data more money. Of course they'll be those that won't use stream services... heck I have an uncle that still uses a typewriter and friends that don't even own cell phones... But I doubt that these individuals are in AT&T's target audience. Their target audience are user with great "potential" to increase their data use... Guess who these "captive" users are?. They own the bridge and the toll booth... No more monthly easypasses... pay per crossing at the booth. The business decision to change the plan was not made based on the “current” average usage, historical usage of wireless data or to lowers subscriber's fees. This is a well thought out strategic move based on the “projected” (and almost certain) increase of data usage per subscriber.

[ Edited ]
36 of 73 (2,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 5:35:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

quetzalcoatl wrote:

Wow, that is the worst graphic EVAR.  Did they really think that following a color-coded maze was the easiest way to compare the carriers?  A simple chart where you can just compare the carriers' costs would have been much more effective.

quetzalcoatl wrote:

Wow, that is the worst graphic EVAR.  Did they really think that following a color-coded maze was the easiest way to compare the carriers?  A simple chart where you can just compare the carriers' costs would have been much more effective.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

37 of 73 (2,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 7:31:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

This announcement is causing mixed feelings for me who has NO data plan.  I need to replace my Tilt and I was dreading being forced to pay for a $30 data plan.  I only do wifi, so I don't use the 3G data.  At least with this announcement, I'll only be forced to pay for at $15 data plan.Smiley Mad

The network is clogged, so they're changing the rules.  That's business.  You don't like, it you take your business elsewhere.  But do it soon, because they'll all jump on this bandwagon eventually.

Z.

This announcement is causing mixed feelings for me who has NO data plan.  I need to replace my Tilt and I was dreading being forced to pay for a $30 data plan.  I only do wifi, so I don't use the 3G data.  At least with this announcement, I'll only be forced to pay for at $15 data plan.Smiley Mad

The network is clogged, so they're changing the rules.  That's business.  You don't like, it you take your business elsewhere.  But do it soon, because they'll all jump on this bandwagon eventually.

Z.

38 of 73 (2,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 9:17:13 AM
(0)
Guru
This is from Caretaker, one of the Moderators here on these forms. He/she posted this in the Apple form:

"Hey guys, Thanks for your continued contributions to the AT&T Wireless Community!  It’s been all a buzz since we announced the introduction of the New Smartphone Data Plans. As many of you already know, existing Smartphone customers who already have a Smartphone data unlimited plan on their account will be allowed to keep their existing data plan should they choose, even if upgrading their device to another Smartphone; this includes ALL Smartphone Operating Systems such as iPhone, BlackBerry, Android Windows Mobile, webOS and Symbian.  So, if you currently have a smartphone, such as a BlackBerry and would like to upgrade/switch to another smartphone like an iPhone, you can do so without losing your current  Smartphone data unlimited plan. For more information on the New Smartphone Data Plans, check it out here."

This is from Caretaker, one of the Moderators here on these forms. He/she posted this in the Apple form:

"Hey guys, Thanks for your continued contributions to the AT&T Wireless Community!  It’s been all a buzz since we announced the introduction of the New Smartphone Data Plans. As many of you already know, existing Smartphone customers who already have a Smartphone data unlimited plan on their account will be allowed to keep their existing data plan should they choose, even if upgrading their device to another Smartphone; this includes ALL Smartphone Operating Systems such as iPhone, BlackBerry, Android Windows Mobile, webOS and Symbian.  So, if you currently have a smartphone, such as a BlackBerry and would like to upgrade/switch to another smartphone like an iPhone, you can do so without losing your current  Smartphone data unlimited plan. For more information on the New Smartphone Data Plans, check it out here."

39 of 73 (2,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 12:51:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Impulses on Jun 4, 2010 at 1:46:31 PM

IMO the new plans are a GREAT addition for light smartphone users but a horrible step backwards for heavy users. There's PLENTY of smartphone users out there that don't use more than 200MB of data a month, and there'll be even MORE such users now that they can pay $15 a month to use data on a smartphone rather than $30. AT&T could've simply done away w/the unlimited plan and not introduced this, so the fact that they did is the good news...

The bad news is that there's plenty of power users that do use more han 2GB of data a month on their smartphone (I can use nearly 1GB/month w/a non-3G feature phone, FWIW), and there's gonna be even more of them in the future. To all current iPhone/smartphone users that are looking at the data usage metrics on their bill and refuting this fact... Stop for a minute and think about what your current data usage is comprised of.

If you're mostly web browsing and using the GPS you won't use much data, no... But what if you stream videos a lot (HD video even), what if you use internet radio apps a lot, what if you video chat (something that soon-to-be-released phones like the next iPhone and the EVO are bringing), what if you upload HD video clips you've recorded, what if you start using more cloud sync services (a la Dropbox), what if you start tethering (thru Froyo or rooted/jailbreak methods)?

Your data usage is gonna spike thru the roof, you may not be doing all (or any) of that today, but you soon will, and a 2GB cap is gonna seem downright miseable then... 'SPECIALLY for $25. If it was $15-20 for 2GB I could stomach it I think. Should've been $10 for 200mb, $20 for 2GB, and $35 for unlimited data, no grandfathered plans, just pick whatever fits best.

My 2 cents... The cap is gonna be a big downside w/future Android phones, if it's not already an issue for you. Again, I think the $15 plan is awesome, I've actually recommended it to my sister for her E71x (she currently doesn't pay for data at all), but the lack of an unlimited plan is a big step backward... And the fact that the iPad is slotted in under the same plans is downright ridiculous, and I'm not a big fan of the iPad but it's still a travesty for iPad owners.

IMO the new plans are a GREAT addition for light smartphone users but a horrible step backwards for heavy users. There's PLENTY of smartphone users out there that don't use more than 200MB of data a month, and there'll be even MORE such users now that they can pay $15 a month to use data on a smartphone rather than $30. AT&T could've simply done away w/the unlimited plan and not introduced this, so the fact that they did is the good news...

The bad news is that there's plenty of power users that do use more han 2GB of data a month on their smartphone (I can use nearly 1GB/month w/a non-3G feature phone, FWIW), and there's gonna be even more of them in the future. To all current iPhone/smartphone users that are looking at the data usage metrics on their bill and refuting this fact... Stop for a minute and think about what your current data usage is comprised of.

If you're mostly web browsing and using the GPS you won't use much data, no... But what if you stream videos a lot (HD video even), what if you use internet radio apps a lot, what if you video chat (something that soon-to-be-released phones like the next iPhone and the EVO are bringing), what if you upload HD video clips you've recorded, what if you start using more cloud sync services (a la Dropbox), what if you start tethering (thru Froyo or rooted/jailbreak methods)?

Your data usage is gonna spike thru the roof, you may not be doing all (or any) of that today, but you soon will, and a 2GB cap is gonna seem downright miseable then... 'SPECIALLY for $25. If it was $15-20 for 2GB I could stomach it I think. Should've been $10 for 200mb, $20 for 2GB, and $35 for unlimited data, no grandfathered plans, just pick whatever fits best.

My 2 cents... The cap is gonna be a big downside w/future Android phones, if it's not already an issue for you. Again, I think the $15 plan is awesome, I've actually recommended it to my sister for her E71x (she currently doesn't pay for data at all), but the lack of an unlimited plan is a big step backward... And the fact that the iPad is slotted in under the same plans is downright ridiculous, and I'm not a big fan of the iPad but it's still a travesty for iPad owners.

[ Edited ]
40 of 73 (2,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 1:30:27 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Impulses on Jun 4, 2010 at 1:51:10 PM

BTW As a sort of silver lining for those of you currently paying $30 already... I'm pretty sure that the $30 plan add-on itself can be grandfathered even if you renew the contract, just like entire plans can be grandfathered. Why?

Renwing your contract and buying a subsidized smartphone just requires that you have a data plan, now there's three possible data plans, they've never stated you have to have a specific data plan for a renewal (unless you wanted to get away w/a feature phone plan on a smartphone or something, but that's different imo).

Plus my sister renewed her contract about 9 monts ago while having a $10 add-on that doesn't even exist anymore, at all ($10 gives her an extra 1,000 minutes of incoming calls over the plan's 850), the add-on (specific to her line) survived intact. I'm not saying AT&T couldn't go out of it's way to force the new plans on renewals (if you're buying a phone), but it seems unlikely right now.

Comments from sales reps seem to back that up even if they've been vague or not official... I think we're more likely to see further adjustments to the pricing scale before the $30/unlimited plans start to get phased out entirely... 'Specially once other carriers start adopting similar policies (more than likely Verizon, at 'least, Sprint CEO said they're not looking that way just yet but he also said you can't never say never, heh).

Edit: Plus there's that quote davidusr posted two posts up... Smiley Tongue Seems a lot more official than anything else I've read. Sorry I only just saw it and I wrote the post before that.

BTW As a sort of silver lining for those of you currently paying $30 already... I'm pretty sure that the $30 plan add-on itself can be grandfathered even if you renew the contract, just like entire plans can be grandfathered. Why?

Renwing your contract and buying a subsidized smartphone just requires that you have a data plan, now there's three possible data plans, they've never stated you have to have a specific data plan for a renewal (unless you wanted to get away w/a feature phone plan on a smartphone or something, but that's different imo).

Plus my sister renewed her contract about 9 monts ago while having a $10 add-on that doesn't even exist anymore, at all ($10 gives her an extra 1,000 minutes of incoming calls over the plan's 850), the add-on (specific to her line) survived intact. I'm not saying AT&T couldn't go out of it's way to force the new plans on renewals (if you're buying a phone), but it seems unlikely right now.

Comments from sales reps seem to back that up even if they've been vague or not official... I think we're more likely to see further adjustments to the pricing scale before the $30/unlimited plans start to get phased out entirely... 'Specially once other carriers start adopting similar policies (more than likely Verizon, at 'least, Sprint CEO said they're not looking that way just yet but he also said you can't never say never, heh).

Edit: Plus there's that quote davidusr posted two posts up... Smiley Tongue Seems a lot more official than anything else I've read. Sorry I only just saw it and I wrote the post before that.

[ Edited ]
41 of 73 (2,448 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 1:39:49 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Impulses on Jun 4, 2010 at 1:54:18 PM

quetzalcoatl wrote:

foxbat121 wrote:

Two sizes still better than one-size-fits-all Smiley Happy

The only true victims in this shift are those paid extra for an iPad 3G.

No there is another victim and that is the person like myself that was  a heavy smartphone user sold it got a feature phone since I wanted to wait for a good smartphone to hit and now will not be able to get an unlimited data plan.

Only thing that I can think that will be a good out of this is that the OS will get some better code to use less data. Android is bad and apple is horrid.

Eh, I agree that you're one of the many victims here (along w/iPad users, and any heavy smartphone users really)... But I dunno to what extent you can really blame the smartphone's OS on extra data usage. I know Apple's server-side notification system probably makes the phones haul a lot more data than Android (all in the name of keeping the phone simple, ugh)...

But ultimately any sort of stuff the OS does as far as notifications/sync'ing/etc pales in comparison to the basic data usage of people web browsing, let alone using apps that use data (in all sorts of inefficient ways) or doing heavier stuff like uploading video, using video chat (soon), etc. All that stuff will eat up way more data in the grand scheme and no amount of OS optimizations will let us escape that. Heck, multi-tasking itself will drive data usage up. Ask around after OS4 hits...

A lot of it still goes down to usage patterns tho, many users w/an iPhone won't use any more than 200MB a month even if it's using a less efficient phone. Android users ('specially early Android adopters on a carrier) are perhaps more prone to use advanced features that ead more data. I don't think you can really draw generalizations at the OS level, 'specially on AT&T where there's little choice anyway.

It's the scale of the pricing scheme that's at fault here imo, not the general idea behind it, altho there should always be an unlimited plan even if it's for a premium. I'd GLADLY pay $40 or maybe even $45 for unlimited data per month if it includes tethering and the carriers would stop treating users that tether w/o the official overpriced plan add-on like criminals (they can't really control it anyway).

Wish we could take a poll on that kinda sentiment...

quetzalcoatl wrote:

foxbat121 wrote:

Two sizes still better than one-size-fits-all Smiley Happy

The only true victims in this shift are those paid extra for an iPad 3G.

No there is another victim and that is the person like myself that was  a heavy smartphone user sold it got a feature phone since I wanted to wait for a good smartphone to hit and now will not be able to get an unlimited data plan.

Only thing that I can think that will be a good out of this is that the OS will get some better code to use less data. Android is bad and apple is horrid.

Eh, I agree that you're one of the many victims here (along w/iPad users, and any heavy smartphone users really)... But I dunno to what extent you can really blame the smartphone's OS on extra data usage. I know Apple's server-side notification system probably makes the phones haul a lot more data than Android (all in the name of keeping the phone simple, ugh)...

But ultimately any sort of stuff the OS does as far as notifications/sync'ing/etc pales in comparison to the basic data usage of people web browsing, let alone using apps that use data (in all sorts of inefficient ways) or doing heavier stuff like uploading video, using video chat (soon), etc. All that stuff will eat up way more data in the grand scheme and no amount of OS optimizations will let us escape that. Heck, multi-tasking itself will drive data usage up. Ask around after OS4 hits...

A lot of it still goes down to usage patterns tho, many users w/an iPhone won't use any more than 200MB a month even if it's using a less efficient phone. Android users ('specially early Android adopters on a carrier) are perhaps more prone to use advanced features that ead more data. I don't think you can really draw generalizations at the OS level, 'specially on AT&T where there's little choice anyway.

It's the scale of the pricing scheme that's at fault here imo, not the general idea behind it, altho there should always be an unlimited plan even if it's for a premium. I'd GLADLY pay $40 or maybe even $45 for unlimited data per month if it includes tethering and the carriers would stop treating users that tether w/o the official overpriced plan add-on like criminals (they can't really control it anyway).

Wish we could take a poll on that kinda sentiment...

[ Edited ]
42 of 73 (2,445 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 4:17:48 PM
(0)
Master

You can be sure that Video call/chat will be a separate billable feature that is much more expensive than simply counting MBs on data, just like AT&T Navigator and MMS data usage that are not counted toward your data cap.

For most ppl just browsing webs, a few hundreds of MB or even 1GB will be more than enough. It's the streamers, whether audio or video, that will sure use more than 2GB/m. Multi-tasking and notification won't add much more to that. I've WM6.5 with multi-tasking and had both Exchange Sync and Hotmail sync on at the same time and my usage is no more than 200MB with moderate web browsing.

You can be sure that Video call/chat will be a separate billable feature that is much more expensive than simply counting MBs on data, just like AT&T Navigator and MMS data usage that are not counted toward your data cap.

For most ppl just browsing webs, a few hundreds of MB or even 1GB will be more than enough. It's the streamers, whether audio or video, that will sure use more than 2GB/m. Multi-tasking and notification won't add much more to that. I've WM6.5 with multi-tasking and had both Exchange Sync and Hotmail sync on at the same time and my usage is no more than 200MB with moderate web browsing.

43 of 73 (2,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 6:03:26 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by sitnsidewayz on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:00:39 PM

tamanaco wrote:

I hear you... but these new plans do absolutely nothing "at this point" to curve the abusers as it grandfathers the existing users of unlimited data plans with and without contracts. Read their announcement here  "Current smartphone customers are not required to switch to the new plans, but can choose to do so without a contract extension." This is not about the data hogs... this is a "strategic" move. The hogs will be taken care of later via increase network capacity (investment in infrastructure) and change of usage rules that will take place once the "majority" of existing unlimited contracts expire and are not renewed as unlimited.

Yes, these new plans will even get more folks to sign up for data services as they see a lower entry cost point... This is the hook... Once they sign up for two years they're now captive. As users discover all these new streamed data services that are emerging they will try them...  This is the bait....   AT&T's own projected numbers that are disclosed in their prospectus and communication to share holders emphasizes  increased revenues based on increase wireless data use from existing subscribers with lesser emphasis on increased revenue from the number of new subscribers. Once the fish are in the pond is easy pickings... No more unlimited data all of us will be metered.

I somewhat share this perspective. It's not bait and switch, but it is bait the hook. While the current data hogs are an issue, AT&T sees that the future holds a huge increase in data hogs. You think they don't raise a brow when they see sites like Hulu coming out with apps that will stream your favorite TV shows and movies and the manufacturers starting to put out devices that can handle this? What about gaming? Soon you will be able to play a game against your best bud over the internet while on your mobile handset. A 200mb taste will lead to a several gigabyte addiction. Maybe not now, but it is coming in the future and AT&T is wisely positioning itself to stuff it's pockets. When people start screaming for more, AT&T will happily give you unlimited back for $50...$60....$70....who knows how much.

tamanaco wrote:

I hear you... but these new plans do absolutely nothing "at this point" to curve the abusers as it grandfathers the existing users of unlimited data plans with and without contracts. Read their announcement here  "Current smartphone customers are not required to switch to the new plans, but can choose to do so without a contract extension." This is not about the data hogs... this is a "strategic" move. The hogs will be taken care of later via increase network capacity (investment in infrastructure) and change of usage rules that will take place once the "majority" of existing unlimited contracts expire and are not renewed as unlimited.

Yes, these new plans will even get more folks to sign up for data services as they see a lower entry cost point... This is the hook... Once they sign up for two years they're now captive. As users discover all these new streamed data services that are emerging they will try them...  This is the bait....   AT&T's own projected numbers that are disclosed in their prospectus and communication to share holders emphasizes  increased revenues based on increase wireless data use from existing subscribers with lesser emphasis on increased revenue from the number of new subscribers. Once the fish are in the pond is easy pickings... No more unlimited data all of us will be metered.

I somewhat share this perspective. It's not bait and switch, but it is bait the hook. While the current data hogs are an issue, AT&T sees that the future holds a huge increase in data hogs. You think they don't raise a brow when they see sites like Hulu coming out with apps that will stream your favorite TV shows and movies and the manufacturers starting to put out devices that can handle this? What about gaming? Soon you will be able to play a game against your best bud over the internet while on your mobile handset. A 200mb taste will lead to a several gigabyte addiction. Maybe not now, but it is coming in the future and AT&T is wisely positioning itself to stuff it's pockets. When people start screaming for more, AT&T will happily give you unlimited back for $50...$60....$70....who knows how much.

[ Edited ]
44 of 73 (2,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 6:49:10 PM
(0)
Scholar

I spent about 1 hour in a store today with both a manager and an employee trying to find a loophole for me. I guess there used to be a loophole on one of the older systems but it has been plugged. So my only option to get grandfathered is to buy a new phone and hope the one I want come out within 30 days or find a old smartphone that I can get the IMEI number from to have it added to my account. I am still not happy about being able to get the unlimited data but the staff did do everything within their power.

I spent about 1 hour in a store today with both a manager and an employee trying to find a loophole for me. I guess there used to be a loophole on one of the older systems but it has been plugged. So my only option to get grandfathered is to buy a new phone and hope the one I want come out within 30 days or find a old smartphone that I can get the IMEI number from to have it added to my account. I am still not happy about being able to get the unlimited data but the staff did do everything within their power.

45 of 73 (2,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 7:07:00 PM
(0)
Professor

quetzalcoatl wrote:

Switching to an old smartphone until the device that you want comes out is probably your best and safest option, but who knows how long that will take, considering AT&T doesn't seem to want to have any devices that compete with the iPhone.

quetzalcoatl wrote:

Switching to an old smartphone until the device that you want comes out is probably your best and safest option, but who knows how long that will take, considering AT&T doesn't seem to want to have any devices that compete with the iPhone.

46 of 73 (2,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 7:25:16 PM
(0)
Scholar

sitnsidewayz wrote:

quetzalcoatl wrote:

I agree problem is that they gave such short notice on these changes trying to find an old smartphone that I can get the IMEI number from in a quick enough time will be almost impossible.

sitnsidewayz wrote:

quetzalcoatl wrote:

I agree problem is that they gave such short notice on these changes trying to find an old smartphone that I can get the IMEI number from in a quick enough time will be almost impossible.

47 of 73 (2,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 7:29:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just can't believe people are okay with this.

AT&T has effectively doubled the price for your data has used a bunch of marketing to sell you on the idea of it being for your own good.

A single 7-8 hour workday of listening to pandora and I will already be over the 200MB limit.  2GB?  year right...less than two weeks and I'll be hitting over that mark.

I'm considering moving over to sprint and getting on a plan that costs much less and gives me much more...AFAIK, the data change voids the contract

AT&T has effectively doubled the price for your data has used a bunch of marketing to sell you on the idea of it being for your own good.

A single 7-8 hour workday of listening to pandora and I will already be over the 200MB limit.  2GB?  year right...less than two weeks and I'll be hitting over that mark.

I'm considering moving over to sprint and getting on a plan that costs much less and gives me much more...AFAIK, the data change voids the contract

48 of 73 (2,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 7:58:19 PM
(0)
Professor

mcbrided wrote:

It is not good for the technological advancement fans. I currently use email, browse the internet, stream music, stream video, and download. I average just over a gig per month. I don't do any of them bunch, but I do expect it to increase, especially once I get a better device. I'm planning on holding on to my unlimited plan as long as AT&T will allow me. Currently, as long as you already have the plan, you will be grandfathered in and won't lose it, unless you give it up.

mcbrided wrote:

It is not good for the technological advancement fans. I currently use email, browse the internet, stream music, stream video, and download. I average just over a gig per month. I don't do any of them bunch, but I do expect it to increase, especially once I get a better device. I'm planning on holding on to my unlimited plan as long as AT&T will allow me. Currently, as long as you already have the plan, you will be grandfathered in and won't lose it, unless you give it up.

49 of 73 (2,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 8:07:32 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by davidusr on Jun 4, 2010 at 8:10:30 PM

mcbrided wrote:

The data change does not, and will not affect your current contract. So, no out there.

These new data plans are for NEW smart phone customers. If you have the $30 "unlimited" data plan, your safe...even if you renew your contract. As long as you stay with a smart phone, and dont change you data plan, the $30 "unlimited" is yours to keep. Theres a quote from a Moderator in post #39 of this thread.

mcbrided wrote:

The data change does not, and will not affect your current contract. So, no out there.

These new data plans are for NEW smart phone customers. If you have the $30 "unlimited" data plan, your safe...even if you renew your contract. As long as you stay with a smart phone, and dont change you data plan, the $30 "unlimited" is yours to keep. Theres a quote from a Moderator in post #39 of this thread.

[ Edited ]
50 of 73 (2,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 10:49:37 PM
(0)
Scholar

When I did the math today this shocked me. The last report I can see of smartphone users on AT&T was from Nov 2009 and said 30% of users were on them. And consider that there are 88mil subs now and 2% of those users are over 2gb of data that are on smartphones. That is still 600,00 users.

When I did the math today this shocked me. The last report I can see of smartphone users on AT&T was from Nov 2009 and said 30% of users were on them. And consider that there are 88mil subs now and 2% of those users are over 2gb of data that are on smartphones. That is still 600,00 users.

51 of 73 (2,372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 9:05:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

They'd have to do some pretty heavy-handed firmware locking in order to achieve that... Way beyond what they've done w/the Backflip or anything like that. I mean, what's to prevent anyone from downloading the Fring/Skype apps otherwise and just using the built-in front-facing cameras on their phones? I guess we'll find out what mold AT&T intends to carve here w/the iPhone announcement tomorrow (if the rumors are true and it sports a front-facing camera). Either way, that's still a step backwards for consumers if you ask me...

I'm not saying they should keep the unlimited usage models, there's obviously issues with that, but if they're gonna go w/a tiered system there should be more than two tiers and there should be an unlimited option at a premium (that actually makes sense for both parties, include tethering as an incentive for instance, etc.).

foxbat121 wrote:

They'd have to do some pretty heavy-handed firmware locking in order to achieve that... Way beyond what they've done w/the Backflip or anything like that. I mean, what's to prevent anyone from downloading the Fring/Skype apps otherwise and just using the built-in front-facing cameras on their phones? I guess we'll find out what mold AT&T intends to carve here w/the iPhone announcement tomorrow (if the rumors are true and it sports a front-facing camera). Either way, that's still a step backwards for consumers if you ask me...

I'm not saying they should keep the unlimited usage models, there's obviously issues with that, but if they're gonna go w/a tiered system there should be more than two tiers and there should be an unlimited option at a premium (that actually makes sense for both parties, include tethering as an incentive for instance, etc.).

52 of 73 (2,288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 2:10:09 AM
(0)
Scholar

Is AT&T doing this for it's customers? On a first look I might think “maybe”?

So, here how I think it works, monthly charges (AT&T's marketing strategists make good money Smiley Happy )

1. Text messages:

Occasional User – 200 Text Messages $5

Average User – NO PLAN

Heavy User – 1500 Text Messages $15

Hardcore User – Unlimited Text Messages $20

2. Data plans

Occasional User – 200 MB Data - $15

Average User – NO PLAN

Heavy User – 2 GB Data - $25

Hardcore User – Unlimited (keep your existing plan) or add $10/GB

In my opinion, AT&T already predicted that in the near future, the Average User will make up to 75% of all customers. This is based on: new and more powerful, data hungry smartphones and other devices such as tablets and netbooks, new capabilities such as videochating and a more richer web content.

So, how will they make their money? The Average User will be forced into a higher data plan, or stay in the lower one and pay overages. Either way is a win-win for AT&T.

This also makes me go back in time and think what happened with the A-List Voice Feature. I think it's not hard to predict that in the future the Average User will use more data and text than it uses voice. So a 500-700 minutes with rollover will be more than enough for a individual plan, but in order to benefit from this feature you'll have to upgrade to a higher plan 900 minutes or more, ending up overpaying for what you don't use.

So, if AT&T really cares about my pocket then this is how it should be done:

Text messages (in $2 increments) 200 SMS - $2, 400 SMS - $4, and so on up to 2000 SMS - $20

Data plans 200 MB - $2, 400 MB - $4, up to 2GB - $20 and so on...

A-List feature available for every data plan

Wouldn't this be a lot easier to understand for average Joe? There would be no more messed up bills and complaints.

P.S. Yeah, I know, I'm a dreamer LOL.

Is AT&T doing this for it's customers? On a first look I might think “maybe”?

So, here how I think it works, monthly charges (AT&T's marketing strategists make good money Smiley Happy )

1. Text messages:

Occasional User – 200 Text Messages $5

Average User – NO PLAN

Heavy User – 1500 Text Messages $15

Hardcore User – Unlimited Text Messages $20

2. Data plans

Occasional User – 200 MB Data - $15

Average User – NO PLAN

Heavy User – 2 GB Data - $25

Hardcore User – Unlimited (keep your existing plan) or add $10/GB

In my opinion, AT&T already predicted that in the near future, the Average User will make up to 75% of all customers. This is based on: new and more powerful, data hungry smartphones and other devices such as tablets and netbooks, new capabilities such as videochating and a more richer web content.

So, how will they make their money? The Average User will be forced into a higher data plan, or stay in the lower one and pay overages. Either way is a win-win for AT&T.

This also makes me go back in time and think what happened with the A-List Voice Feature. I think it's not hard to predict that in the future the Average User will use more data and text than it uses voice. So a 500-700 minutes with rollover will be more than enough for a individual plan, but in order to benefit from this feature you'll have to upgrade to a higher plan 900 minutes or more, ending up overpaying for what you don't use.

So, if AT&T really cares about my pocket then this is how it should be done:

Text messages (in $2 increments) 200 SMS - $2, 400 SMS - $4, and so on up to 2000 SMS - $20

Data plans 200 MB - $2, 400 MB - $4, up to 2GB - $20 and so on...

A-List feature available for every data plan

Wouldn't this be a lot easier to understand for average Joe? There would be no more messed up bills and complaints.

P.S. Yeah, I know, I'm a dreamer LOL.

53 of 73 (2,267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 4:43:18 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Jun 7, 2010 at 4:44:06 AM

Impulses wrote:

LOL. You mean like disable tethering for current AT&T iPhone and lock down tethering for WM phone? It's being done before.

Believe me, if front facing camera does come to US iPhone 4G, you will be sure AT&T will be charging for it PPU.

Impulses wrote:

LOL. You mean like disable tethering for current AT&T iPhone and lock down tethering for WM phone? It's being done before.

Believe me, if front facing camera does come to US iPhone 4G, you will be sure AT&T will be charging for it PPU.

[ Edited ]
54 of 73 (2,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 12:07:15 PM
(0)
Master

As expected, since AT&T hasn't figure out how to charge for iPhone 4 video chat (facetime) yet, the feature will only be available on wi-fi this year.

As expected, since AT&T hasn't figure out how to charge for iPhone 4 video chat (facetime) yet, the feature will only be available on wi-fi this year.

55 of 73 (2,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 11:00:43 AM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

Impulses wrote:

My point is that you can get around that fairly easily and they have no way of preventing it, at 'least no way that makes financial/practical sense at this point, since the % of people that will jailbreak/root their phones to do that type of thing is relatively small. If you're not gonna jailbreak the phone then it's in Apple's hands as much as it is in AT&T's... And it's obviously much easier for them to block or control that kind of use. The simplest way to control this would obviously be by not allowing any other apps on the market that provide said functionality, they can't do that quite as effectively w/Android phones tho, so they'd have to go down the firmware route (again, not hard to circumvent).

foxbat121 wrote:

Impulses wrote:

My point is that you can get around that fairly easily and they have no way of preventing it, at 'least no way that makes financial/practical sense at this point, since the % of people that will jailbreak/root their phones to do that type of thing is relatively small. If you're not gonna jailbreak the phone then it's in Apple's hands as much as it is in AT&T's... And it's obviously much easier for them to block or control that kind of use. The simplest way to control this would obviously be by not allowing any other apps on the market that provide said functionality, they can't do that quite as effectively w/Android phones tho, so they'd have to go down the firmware route (again, not hard to circumvent).

56 of 73 (2,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 1:11:56 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by mcbrided on Jun 8, 2010 at 1:16:50 PM
You are all going to get screwed as soon as you realize how much more data you need than the new plans will provide...and newer phones are just going to increase that. All inclusive phone software is such an old model - every thing is going in the cloud, as will the phone OS itself. Data usage is going to skyrocket and AT&T /should/ be supporting this, not limiting it.

To make it worse, the new prices are absurd. Twice the previous cost if you go with the $25 plan - otherwise, roughly 13-14x the previous price with the 200MB plan (this is comparing to a 5GB model mind you). Won't go over 200MB or 2GB you say? Of course you will, eventually. It is just a matter of time and when that time comes, you'll be wondering why.

Someone already brought up the issue with video chat using data - you think this won't change your habits? Try emailing a few nice 5MP pictures you just took - these will be 2-3MB (at a minimum) alone. That means somewhere between 66-100 (mind you - this is on the high end) pictures emailed and you already top out your 200MB plan and instantly pay another $15? for another 200MB? The same price as the "unlimited' plan previously? Netflix? Yeah....right.

Make no mistake, AT&T took a big step BACKWARDS for consumers. Their plan isn't to 'save you money'. It looks good on paper, but in reality is intended to line their pockets even more-so than the apple exclusive contract already has. This week I'll be leaving at&t to get some nice shiny evo 4gs with "true" unlimited data.

I live in the internet age - it would be nice if at&t did as well.
You are all going to get screwed as soon as you realize how much more data you need than the new plans will provide...and newer phones are just going to increase that. All inclusive phone software is such an old model - every thing is going in the cloud, as will the phone OS itself. Data usage is going to skyrocket and AT&T /should/ be supporting this, not limiting it.

To make it worse, the new prices are absurd. Twice the previous cost if you go with the $25 plan - otherwise, roughly 13-14x the previous price with the 200MB plan (this is comparing to a 5GB model mind you). Won't go over 200MB or 2GB you say? Of course you will, eventually. It is just a matter of time and when that time comes, you'll be wondering why.

Someone already brought up the issue with video chat using data - you think this won't change your habits? Try emailing a few nice 5MP pictures you just took - these will be 2-3MB (at a minimum) alone. That means somewhere between 66-100 (mind you - this is on the high end) pictures emailed and you already top out your 200MB plan and instantly pay another $15? for another 200MB? The same price as the "unlimited' plan previously? Netflix? Yeah....right.

Make no mistake, AT&T took a big step BACKWARDS for consumers. Their plan isn't to 'save you money'. It looks good on paper, but in reality is intended to line their pockets even more-so than the apple exclusive contract already has. This week I'll be leaving at&t to get some nice shiny evo 4gs with "true" unlimited data.

I live in the internet age - it would be nice if at&t did as well.

[ Edited ]
57 of 73 (2,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 2:46:18 PM
(0)
Master

If everyone is doing that (email pictures all day long), even if you get unlimited data it will be use less because the AT&T network will be choked to death. There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth. So, don't try to pretend you can use your phone that way either.

Yes, Sprint and T-Mo all primised to keep the unlimited data. That is only becasue they both are on the edge of bankruptcy due to the subscriber loss. They need all the help they can to attract new customers. For example with the launch of the EVO 4G for Sprint, its 4G network is already slower than t-Mo's 3G network. And you have to pay extra $10/mo for that.

If everyone is doing that (email pictures all day long), even if you get unlimited data it will be use less because the AT&T network will be choked to death. There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth. So, don't try to pretend you can use your phone that way either.

Yes, Sprint and T-Mo all primised to keep the unlimited data. That is only becasue they both are on the edge of bankruptcy due to the subscriber loss. They need all the help they can to attract new customers. For example with the launch of the EVO 4G for Sprint, its 4G network is already slower than t-Mo's 3G network. And you have to pay extra $10/mo for that.

58 of 73 (2,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 3:20:50 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by mcbrided on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:24:50 PM
Emailing pictures all day? Try a measly 2 pictures per day. That was just an example though, so here's another one: a single 6-7 hour day of listening to Pandora. Hard to imagine? How about 2 weeks of 30'ish minute workouts while listening - same effect in the end.

There clearly is a concept of unlimited...sprint and tmo, as you so kindly pointed out, provide it. It is: use all the data you can muster and we won't hassle you or charge you more for it. I realize though that other companies don't understand the concept of unlimited: Comcast is an example. Their 'unlimited' internet is only unlimited until 250GB and then it is very limited. Same with AT&T (it used to be unlimited until they sent nasty grams to individuals about their data usage - big eye opener that unlimited actually means limited in AT&T's eyes).

You managed to glance over the fact that AT&T STILL called it unlimited even though it was quite capped. How do you not have an issue with this?

Now whether the network is 'choked' or not depends on how much money a carrier invests in their infrastructure. It is simple a hardware issue and one that 'could' be fixed if they were so inclined. AT&T invested heavily after the first iPhone and again after spotty 3G became an issue - the performance increase was easily noticeable. Now that they know users will continue to buy the iPhone it makes perfect financial sense to remove their previous 'unlimited data' - it is essentially a bait a switch, only this time instead of switching, they are counting on the fact that most users have no idea how much a Kilobyte is, much less a MB, and what amounts to that amount of data with 'typical' use.

The point is, they WANT you to use more than 200. Why? They make more money from providing less and since the plans don't just step up (for example, making the 200MB plan turn into a 2GB plan automatically once a user goes over by 1KB), the light using grandma sending pictures of the kids back and forth is the one who is going to get screwed the most.

I'm not sure where you are getting your data about the 4G network being slower than TMOs 3G, but it clearly isn't true - otherwise you would think 1) clearwire users would complain and 2) there would be numerous reviews pointing out this 'problem'. I actually tried one, and they are wicked fast on 4G, not bogged down in the least., and that was yesterday afternoon - so in other words quite a bit AFTER launch.
Emailing pictures all day? Try a measly 2 pictures per day. That was just an example though, so here's another one: a single 6-7 hour day of listening to Pandora. Hard to imagine? How about 2 weeks of 30'ish minute workouts while listening - same effect in the end.

There clearly is a concept of unlimited...sprint and tmo, as you so kindly pointed out, provide it. It is: use all the data you can muster and we won't hassle you or charge you more for it. I realize though that other companies don't understand the concept of unlimited: Comcast is an example. Their 'unlimited' internet is only unlimited until 250GB and then it is very limited. Same with AT&T (it used to be unlimited until they sent nasty grams to individuals about their data usage - big eye opener that unlimited actually means limited in AT&T's eyes).

You managed to glance over the fact that AT&T STILL called it unlimited even though it was quite capped. How do you not have an issue with this?

Now whether the network is 'choked' or not depends on how much money a carrier invests in their infrastructure. It is simple a hardware issue and one that 'could' be fixed if they were so inclined. AT&T invested heavily after the first iPhone and again after spotty 3G became an issue - the performance increase was easily noticeable. Now that they know users will continue to buy the iPhone it makes perfect financial sense to remove their previous 'unlimited data' - it is essentially a bait a switch, only this time instead of switching, they are counting on the fact that most users have no idea how much a Kilobyte is, much less a MB, and what amounts to that amount of data with 'typical' use.

The point is, they WANT you to use more than 200. Why? They make more money from providing less and since the plans don't just step up (for example, making the 200MB plan turn into a 2GB plan automatically once a user goes over by 1KB), the light using grandma sending pictures of the kids back and forth is the one who is going to get screwed the most.

I'm not sure where you are getting your data about the 4G network being slower than TMOs 3G, but it clearly isn't true - otherwise you would think 1) clearwire users would complain and 2) there would be numerous reviews pointing out this 'problem'. I actually tried one, and they are wicked fast on 4G, not bogged down in the least., and that was yesterday afternoon - so in other words quite a bit AFTER launch.

[ Edited ]
59 of 73 (2,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 6:28:35 PM
(0)
Master

mcbrided wrote:

The new data plan is called Data Plus (200MB) or Data  Pro (2GB). I don't know where you get the idea of AT&T still call it 'unlimited'. 

In fact, both Sprint and T-mo has 5-GB softcap as well.

I simply applaud AT&T no longer calls its data plan unlimited as others still do. Whether or not 2GB is enough is debateable and infrastructure improvement requires $$$ and time. AT&T probably won't get that done until they start deploying 4G LTE in late 2012. That's the reality

mcbrided wrote:

The new data plan is called Data Plus (200MB) or Data  Pro (2GB). I don't know where you get the idea of AT&T still call it 'unlimited'. 

In fact, both Sprint and T-mo has 5-GB softcap as well.

I simply applaud AT&T no longer calls its data plan unlimited as others still do. Whether or not 2GB is enough is debateable and infrastructure improvement requires $$$ and time. AT&T probably won't get that done until they start deploying 4G LTE in late 2012. That's the reality

60 of 73 (1,977 Views)