Helpful Links

New AT&T Data Plans announced:

New AT&T Data Plans announced:

Message 1 of 73
Guru

Re: New AT&T Data Plans announced:

Hmmm...at least current user can stay where we are. I figured once you renewed, they would apply the new caps to you.
Message 2 of 73

I saw that this morning too, it's the final straw. When they go to change it I will tell them I've a Customer since 1995 (SWB Wireless) , and I will be changing carriers. I've been unhappy since the merger everything has gone down hill. Also I will inform them since they are violating the contract I signed up for, they shouldn't be charging a breach of contract fee, but even at that, if they do I will gladly pay the $250 and tell them to shove it up their USB port !

Message 3 of 73
Explorer

At the moment that they try to change my plan, I will cancel the contract and move to another company.

That will be the end of it.

Message 4 of 73
Scholar

davidusr wrote:
Hmmm...at least current user can stay where we are. I figured once you renewed, they would apply the new caps to you.

I just renewed 2-year contracts on my family's 2 iPhones and 1 Tilt2.

So, as I understand it, my current unlimited data plans will be "grandfathered", and will not be affected by these new data plan rates. I that correct?

If so, then all three of my unlimited data plans should be safe at least for the remainder of their 2- year contracts.

The next question will be what will happen after the contract expires?

Will AT&T allow me to still keep my "grandfathered" unlimited data plans if I go month-to-month and make no changes?

Will AT&T force me into one of these new data plans if I do an equipment upgrade after the contract period?

I have at least a year and a half before my contract period ends.

By that time, other carriers may be offering the iPhone, and switching over to another carrier may be a serious consideration.

But for now, I just want someone to clarify that my current unlimited data plans will not be affected by the new data plans.

Message 5 of 73
Guru

Chill out folks!

"Current subscribers will be able to keep their $30-per-month unlimited plans, even if they renew their contracts".
Message 6 of 73
Contributor

Even with that being true, and me being one of the ones to get to keep thier unlimted data plan, I think it is a very very very bad move from AT&T to completely whip out the unlimted plan altogether. For future customers will turn thier nose up at the plans and they will go to Verison to get an unlimted data rate, for cheaper, with a phone like an android that supports flash player...honestly At&t your handing them the cake and a fork! And Ipad users kinda defeats the purpose of getting an Ipad for the use of 3G network if your gonna limt them to how much they use it on the go. We shall see hoe profitable this will be to you as a company because I do not see good things.

Message 7 of 73
Master

I have to disagree. The so called 'unlimited' plans on various carriers are never truely unlimited (either in the form of soft-cap or limit the way you can use the connection). AT&T's move is in the right direction, IMO. I've checked my bills in past couple months. The lowest data usage is 100MB/m with me only use emails (with both corporate exchange and personal hotmail push email). The highest data usage is 500MB/m with me using web browser a lot. I don't watch video streaming at all. I personally think it is a positive move and I'm think add more 200mb data plan for my family memebers (AT&T makes more money from me). The only ppl get screwed are those doing a lot of streaming. Given the overcongestd state of AT&T 3G network, I'd say it's time for those to pay their share. And if they decided to jump ship, that's a even better news to me. I truely hope all iPhone users jump ship Smiley Happy

The real positive thing from this new policy is the obvious generousity towards the data usage overage. No more insane PPU.

Other carriers will follow suit soon.

Message 8 of 73
Scholar

The wireless telcos are not stupid... they're not trying to save existing or future customers any money. They realized that the future of the wireless profits are tightly coupled to the "inevitable" increase of streamed services. They know that streamed multimedia is the new golden goose.  Yes, even those that do not use these streamed services now, will find themselves using them more and more in the future. You'll find that even the GPS systems will use video to help you navigate and search engines like Google will increase the number returned links that include multimedia targeted for  mobile phones . More data, more data... more money, more money. Given that DVDs and CD sales are abysmal Movie, Music, Games and TV studios are currently huddling to find ways, via licensing agreements from the content that they own,  to capitalize on this wave. No one, in the media and entertainment business is having serious "strategic" meetings that do not include mobile phones as a delivery system. Wireless companies like AT&T see the writing on the wall... and they're right in the middle ready to ride the wave. Better tighten the belt and get users accustomed to pay per MB/GB now than wait for the wave to hit the beach and try to start surfing then. It is a given that they have to increase expenditures to upgrade their current infrastructure, but once it is up and running and the meter starts running... they can already hear the sweet bing... bing of the cash register ringing as the MB/GB go up and up. There is nothing wrong with it... but they're not doing it to "lower" our costs.

Message 9 of 73
Professor

At&t studies show that 98% of users use less than 2GB per month.  That means that 98% of us save at least $5 a month.  65% use less than 200 MB, and those people save $15 a month.  I would think that the 2% that will pay more probably use a large amount of the available bandwidth, so if they reign in usage it will probably help the rest of us get some data speed.

Message 10 of 73
Scholar

FredW wrote:

At&t studies show that 98% of users use less than 2GB per month.  That means that 98% of us save at least $5 a month.  65% use less than 200 MB, and those people save $15 a month.  I would think that the 2% that will pay more probably use a large amount of the available bandwidth, so if they reign in usage it will probably help the rest of us get some data speed.

I might be wrong about AT&T ... but I have to disagree. No for profit company I know does a study and  changes their pricing model model to make "less" money.  If the studies you're quoting are true and 98% of us use less than 2GB per month... AT&T would be making "more" money keeping the existing $30 unlimitted data model with bandwithd to spare as only 2% of their users exceed this 2GB quoata. I still belive that they're making a good strategic move... that is move the users out of the all-you-can-eat buffet to the a la carte menu. Btw, my comments in my prior post were based on "projected" increases of data use. From numbers published by "independent" sources such as these  http://socializemobilize.com/2010/04/01/navigatingmobiletraffic/  http://www.forbescustom.com/TelecomPgs/LTEP1.html  http://gigaom.com/2009/07/17/data-the-future-of-the-internet-looks-highly-mobile/  There are many and more reputable sources... these are ones that came up with a quick Google search. Data usage by any meassure is going up not down.

Message 11 of 73
Master

tamanaco wrote:

The wireless telcos are not stupid... they're not trying to save existing or future customers any money. They realized that the future of the wireless profits are tightly coupled to the "inevitable" increase of streamed services. They know that streamed multimedia is the new golden goose.  Yes, even those that do not use these streamed services now, will find themselves using them more and more in the future.

Current 3G network infrastructure is not designed to handle that. Maybe the future 4G LTE network can.

I'm just happy that carriers start to realize that they can no longer call their current data service 'unlimited' regardless if the current 2GB cap is fair or not.

Message 12 of 73
Employee
Employee

tamanaco wrote:

I might be wrong about AT&T ... but I have to disagree. No for profit company I know does a study and  changes their pricing model model to make "less" money.  If the studies you're quoting are true and 98% of us use less than 2GB per month... AT&T would be making "more" money keeping the existing $30 unlimitted data model with bandwithd to spare as only 2% of their users exceed this 2GB quoata. I still belive that they're making a good strategic move... that is move the users out of the all-you-can-eat buffet to the a la carte menu. Btw, my comments in my prior post were based on "projected" increases of data use. From numbers published by "independent" sources such as these  http://socializemobilize.com/2010/04/01/navigatingmobiletraffic/  http://www.forbescustom.com/TelecomPgs/LTEP1.html  http://gigaom.com/2009/07/17/data-the-future-of-the-internet-looks-highly-mobile/  There are many and more reputable sources... these are ones that came up with a quick Google search. Data usage by any meassure is going up not down.

The other plus is AT&T can convert some reluctant regualr phone users to smartphones since it will now cost them $15 instead of $30. They may feel that they can attract new revenue that way too.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 73
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

Current 3G network infrastructure is not designed to handle that. Maybe the future 4G LTE network can.

I'm just happy that carriers start to realize that they can no longer call their current data service 'unlimited' regardless if the current 2GB cap is fair or not.

We all know that the current infrastructure can't not handle it... but if AT&T wants to stay in business it better make sure that it can handle it in the future... and soon. Take a close look at some of the leading-edge Asian wireless markets. We're lagging way behind as it relates to mobile phones and wireless services to accomodate their capabilities.

I think what some of us are looking for is a fair model that can accomodate our needs.  I just hate the feeling I get when I go to the movies and I  want a soda and popcorn. There are only two sizes available... Too Little or Too Much... both cost a lot of money and neither satisfies my needs.

Message 14 of 73
Master

Two sizes still better than one-size-fits-all Smiley Happy

The only true victims in this shift are those paid extra for an iPad 3G.

Message 15 of 73
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support