View all replies
(72)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 6:41:43 AM
(0)
Mentor

I do not approve of these new data plans, especially the 200 MB one, it just doesnt make sense to me, its a new way for AT&T to lure users into underestimating their data usage so they can make more money.

AT&T says "Existing users on the Unlimited plan for $30 can stay on that plan"

What they really meant ot say is that once their 2 year contracts end and they want to either sign up for another contract or go month-by-month, AT&T will force them to select either the 200 MB or the 2 GB plan.

My data usage has never been more than 600 MB so I am tempted to get the 2 GB plan, but I know data usage will increase as technology improves, but I am not in contract, am month to month and AT&T "reserves the right" to charge me for an "appropriate" data plan.

They changed me over to the Smartphone personal $30 plan even though I have my own phone, and I am sure I will receive a text soon asking me to select one of these two data plans.

Lets see...

I do not approve of these new data plans, especially the 200 MB one, it just doesnt make sense to me, its a new way for AT&T to lure users into underestimating their data usage so they can make more money.

What they really meant ot say is that once their 2 year contracts end and they want to either sign up for another contract or go month-by-month, AT&T will force them to select either the 200 MB or the 2 GB plan.

My data usage has never been more than 600 MB so I am tempted to get the 2 GB plan, but I know data usage will increase as technology improves, but I am not in contract, am month to month and AT&T "reserves the right" to charge me for an "appropriate" data plan.

They changed me over to the Smartphone personal $30 plan even though I have my own phone, and I am sure I will receive a text soon asking me to select one of these two data plans.

Lets see...

Re: New AT&T Data Plans announced:

61 of 73 (2,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 3:07:22 PM
(0)
Master

dagarwal313 wrote:

From what I read, AT&T says you can keep the $30 even after contract renewal.

dagarwal313 wrote:

From what I read, AT&T says you can keep the $30 even after contract renewal.

62 of 73 (2,039 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 6:07:55 PM
(0)
Professor

Yep as long as you keep the unlimited plan on a 'smartphone' device, you are granfathered into the plan and will not have to chose a tiered rate plan. 

Yep as long as you keep the unlimited plan on a 'smartphone' device, you are granfathered into the plan and will not have to chose a tiered rate plan. 

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

63 of 73 (2,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 9:05:08 AM
(0)
Mentor

I know a few people who switched to the 2GB plan, they were told that once you switch, you can not switch back to the unlimited plan.

Thats what made me think like AT&T does.

I know a few people who switched to the 2GB plan, they were told that once you switch, you can not switch back to the unlimited plan.

64 of 73 (1,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 10:43:12 AM
(0)
Master

dagarwal313 wrote:

That's the way how 'grandfathered' stuff works. You can keep it forever but if you switch to other plans, there is no way in the computer system to add it back.

I see AT&T now posted a statement on top of the forum to clearify this as well.

dagarwal313 wrote:

That's the way how 'grandfathered' stuff works. You can keep it forever but if you switch to other plans, there is no way in the computer system to add it back.

I see AT&T now posted a statement on top of the forum to clearify this as well.

65 of 73 (1,952 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2010 3:52:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

How do these new Data plans affect Family Plans? At the moment everyone is on Messaging Unlimited for Families ($30), which allows us the option of using Family Data Unlimited ($10) for three of the four lines, my mother doesn't use data.

Will Family plans be forced to use the new data plans or are we going to be grandfathered in as well?

How do these new Data plans affect Family Plans? At the moment everyone is on Messaging Unlimited for Families ($30), which allows us the option of using Family Data Unlimited ($10) for three of the four lines, my mother doesn't use data.

Will Family plans be forced to use the new data plans or are we going to be grandfathered in as well?

66 of 73 (1,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2010 3:56:12 AM
(0)
Master

This new data plan deals with Smartphones only (which cost $30 per line previously). There was never a family data plan option for smartphones. Your $10 plan is for dumb phones.

This new data plan deals with Smartphones only (which cost $30 per line previously). There was never a family data plan option for smartphones. Your $10 plan is for dumb phones.

67 of 73 (1,895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2010 4:23:14 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. If you don't mind me asking one more question. My contract has run out and I'm thinking of upgrading to a smartphone. I'm assuming once I make the move to the new phone I'll need to start paying the $15/mo data service fee reguardless of being on a family plan with the Messaging & Data Unlimited service. I ask because you mentioned the $10 plan is for dumb phones only.

Thanks for the quick reply. If you don't mind me asking one more question. My contract has run out and I'm thinking of upgrading to a smartphone. I'm assuming once I make the move to the new phone I'll need to start paying the $15/mo data service fee reguardless of being on a family plan with the Messaging & Data Unlimited service. I ask because you mentioned the $10 plan is for dumb phones only.

68 of 73 (1,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2010 6:59:47 AM
(0)
Master

There is no shared family data plan for smart phones. You have to pay for each line. $15 for 200MB is good if you only read emails or occasionally browse web pages. Otherwise, you need the $25 plan. But if you intend to do any types of stream (video or audio), you will quickly run out your 2GB cap on $25 plan.

The reason why AT&T (and other carriers) offer such cheap data plans for dumb phones is because they know you can't use much data on those phones any way. Not so with smartphones.

There is no shared family data plan for smart phones. You have to pay for each line. $15 for 200MB is good if you only read emails or occasionally browse web pages. Otherwise, you need the $25 plan. But if you intend to do any types of stream (video or audio), you will quickly run out your 2GB cap on $25 plan.

The reason why AT&T (and other carriers) offer such cheap data plans for dumb phones is because they know you can't use much data on those phones any way. Not so with smartphones.

69 of 73 (1,870 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2010 12:18:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

THIS IS CRAZY!!!!! Are they kidding?? I am so mad about this.... I know I'll be grandfathered in, but it is STILL crazy... They already gouge us enough as it is and they want more???

"Most users use 2GB or less" REALLY?? Where did they get that idea???

AAARRRGGG where can I send a complaint??? A letter to let them know how MAD I am about this!!!

THIS IS CRAZY!!!!! Are they kidding?? I am so mad about this.... I know I'll be grandfathered in, but it is STILL crazy... They already gouge us enough as it is and they want more???

AAARRRGGG where can I send a complaint??? A letter to let them know how MAD I am about this!!!

70 of 73 (1,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2010 12:31:14 PM
(0)
Scholar

Seems like Hope and Change have come to AT&T.  Don't worry, all the rest will follow soon.

Seems like Hope and Change have come to AT&T.  Don't worry, all the rest will follow soon.

71 of 73 (1,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2010 1:14:35 PM
(0)
Mentor

Found out some more BS from AT&T...

They say "

Unlimited Wi-Fi included in all plans

Virtually all AT&T Smartphones come with Wi-Fi technology embedded inside. Wi-Fi generally provides consistently fast speeds and can be used in the home, at the office, or elsewhere when available without counting against your monthly data usage total. We also offer unlimited usage at more than 20,000 AT&T Hot Spots at no additional charge to Smartphone, netbook and laptop customers with qualifying data plans. Learn more about Wi-Fi at att.com/wifiaccess."

That is total BS... the att.com/wifiaccess says that iPhone or WinMo users with AT&T phones have to download some app that will automatically authenticate the hotspot and they can get WiFi for free.

Since I have a Nexus One which I bought from Google, I called up AT&T to ask them how do I authenticate the hotspot because I cant access any AT&T apps.

I spoke to two people, both of them said WiFi at McDonalds is TOTALLY FREE, you dont even have to be an AT&T customer to access WiFi at McDonalds.

So the above is just AT&T's typical BS marketing hype.

Found out some more BS from AT&T...

They say "

Unlimited Wi-Fi included in all plans

Virtually all AT&T Smartphones come with Wi-Fi technology embedded inside. Wi-Fi generally provides consistently fast speeds and can be used in the home, at the office, or elsewhere when available without counting against your monthly data usage total. We also offer unlimited usage at more than 20,000 AT&T Hot Spots at no additional charge to Smartphone, netbook and laptop customers with qualifying data plans. Learn more about Wi-Fi at att.com/wifiaccess."

That is total BS... the att.com/wifiaccess says that iPhone or WinMo users with AT&T phones have to download some app that will automatically authenticate the hotspot and they can get WiFi for free.

Since I have a Nexus One which I bought from Google, I called up AT&T to ask them how do I authenticate the hotspot because I cant access any AT&T apps.

I spoke to two people, both of them said WiFi at McDonalds is TOTALLY FREE, you dont even have to be an AT&T customer to access WiFi at McDonalds.

So the above is just AT&T's typical BS marketing hype.

72 of 73 (1,340 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2010 5:09:49 PM
(0)
Master

stimpyzu wrote:

LOL. Maybe AT&T has everyone's monthly data usage in its database? If you login to your AT&T account, there is a nice link to show your monthly data usage in a nicely layed out chart.

stimpyzu wrote:

LOL. Maybe AT&T has everyone's monthly data usage in its database? If you login to your AT&T account, there is a nice link to show your monthly data usage in a nicely layed out chart.

73 of 73 (1,319 Views)