New $25/monthly GoPhone Starting 09/18/11??? :0)

Professor

New $25/monthly GoPhone Starting 09/18/11??? :0)

[ Edited ]

Did anyone read about a GoPhone plan for $25/month starting Sep 18? Looks like ATT's got some neat stuff rolling down the pike!  I might justhave to drop my lines and cut my bills back to THIS deal!

You GO Mama Bell!

"girl! I wasnt sick, i was poisoned, and the man who did it

is sitting in this room!!!"

Message 1 of 22 (2,822 Views)
Master

Re: New $25/monthly GoPhone Starting 09/18/11??? :0)

I switched to the modified version of the Simple Rate plan in early October of last year. So I've had my existing rate plan for almost a whole entire year, now. Before the $0.10 rate, I was paying a much more expensive rate of $0.25 a minute, which was the only pay-by-the-minute plan at that time (12/25/09).

Prepaid works very well for my cellular needs. And with a phone I enjoy, it can't be beat.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 16 of 22 (2,397 Views)
Professor

Cool, WB! and in addition to wifi, really cant beat such a neat plan. Might be a hard decision to switch from your current plan.
Message 17 of 22 (2,392 Views)
Professor

Prepaid works well for me too. The 500mb data plan comes in handy for when I'm not near WiFi, like using Google Navigation costing only 5 cents for 15 minutes driving. Cool.
Message 18 of 22 (2,388 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

The new $25-month plan compared to the existing 10cent-minute plan with the $20 unlimited messaging feature package in two parts:

1. $5:: up to 250 calls at 2cents-minute (max 250 minutes) instead of up to 50 calls at 10cents-minute
  2. $20-month:: unlimited messaging feature plan

At first glance, yes, the new plan will appear great for those that buy 10cent-minute plans with unlimited messaging.  And those folks will be happy campers.  Lots of smileys!

Actually, the way I see it, you get 250 mins for the same 10 cents/min and just get the unlimited messaging as extra. If I weren't a big data user, I'd seriously consider switching the family plan to prepaid. As it is, plan is still cheaper for me than prepaid.

Message 19 of 22 (2,384 Views)
Teacher

But ,then you would have to have 3G turned on all the time in order to receive texts via Google Voice. And you'd have to make sure no other apps are nibbling away at your data balance that you're unaware of. Or switch to wifi when it's available. But, both 3G and wifi drain your battery quicker than being in cell standby only.

Message 20 of 22 (2,344 Views)
Professor

Nihilistic1 wrote:

But ,then you would have to have 3G turned on all the time in order to receive texts via Google Voice. And you'd have to make sure no other apps are nibbling away at your data balance that you're unaware of. Or switch to wifi when it's available. But, both 3G and wifi drain your battery quicker than being in cell standby only.

Yep, wi-fi seems to be the savior for most if not all plans (including the grandfathered unlimited now that they admit to throttling).  Gotta watch out for those data-nibbling apps for sure!  My phone stays plugged in most of the time at home, driving and at work so battery drainage i guess i could put up with to use wi-fi for saving 'att-driven-data-usage'

Message 21 of 22 (2,370 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

"But, both 3G and wifi drain your battery quicker than being in cell standby only."

I agree with you on the cell standy only consuming very little power. I want to add:

Wifi has a short range of a few hundred feet. 3G data transmission range is a few miles. That being said, Wifi does not use that much power compared to 3G data networking.

For example, the ratio of the wifi distance to 3G distance is 300ft/10000ft that comes to 0.03 for wifi. In real life, it's even lower than 0.03 because power loss is at least quadrupled for every doubling of distance.

Message 22 of 22 (2,359 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.