Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 18, 2011
2:30:58 PM
View profile
New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?
I have had my existing $0.10 a minute rate plan for almost a whole year, now. I enjoy this plan as it is very convenient and fits my calling needs perfectly for a price that I feel is fair.

With the addition of the new $25 per month 250 minutes plan + Unlimited Messaging, I have considered switching from my existing plan to this newer plan. I feel this way because I refill my account monthly with $25 refill cards, so there is absolutely no price difference. Essentially, it seems as though it's a better deal; I'm getting the same unlimited messaging plan I already have and 250 extra minutes per month, which is definitely something I find very attractive and makes it tempting to switch.

Currently, I use around 10 minutes per month, sometimes more, sometimes less. If I could have a 250 minute allowance, I would feel happy to use my phone for calling purposes, considering I feel guilty of using my phone for voice calls, even if the rate is only $0.10 a minute. I would be getting 200 minutes more than I currently do with my existing plan if I were to switch to the new plan.

What makes me want to stay with my current plan is that sometimes I have extra money left over in my account from when I last refilled with $25. If I refill again, I only need to add $15 next time to cover the cost of my unlimited messaging for that month, and I am more than happy to pay less per month for my service ($15 for that month instead of $25). If I switched to the new plan, I would no longer be able to do this. I would have to add $25 each and every month to cover the cost of the plan.

The 250 minutes also DO NOT roll over to the next month, which I discovered much to my surprise yesterday when I called 611 to learn more about the plan details. So, if I do not use many of the 250 minutes I would be allowed, I would feel that I had wasted my money compared to having around $4.00 or so left from using limited voice calls.

So, I am asking you Community members, if you were in my situation, what would you do? Would you keep the current $0.10 a minute plan or switch to the new $25 plan? Right now I am thinking of sticking with my current plan and not switching, but I feel that I should have some extra input to consider before I make my final plan decision.

Your replies are appreciated. Thanks!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I have had my existing $0.10 a minute rate plan for almost a whole year, now. I enjoy this plan as it is very convenient and fits my calling needs perfectly for a price that I feel is fair.

With the addition of the new $25 per month 250 minutes plan + Unlimited Messaging, I have considered switching from my existing plan to this newer plan. I feel this way because I refill my account monthly with $25 refill cards, so there is absolutely no price difference. Essentially, it seems as though it's a better deal; I'm getting the same unlimited messaging plan I already have and 250 extra minutes per month, which is definitely something I find very attractive and makes it tempting to switch.

Currently, I use around 10 minutes per month, sometimes more, sometimes less. If I could have a 250 minute allowance, I would feel happy to use my phone for calling purposes, considering I feel guilty of using my phone for voice calls, even if the rate is only $0.10 a minute. I would be getting 200 minutes more than I currently do with my existing plan if I were to switch to the new plan.

What makes me want to stay with my current plan is that sometimes I have extra money left over in my account from when I last refilled with $25. If I refill again, I only need to add $15 next time to cover the cost of my unlimited messaging for that month, and I am more than happy to pay less per month for my service ($15 for that month instead of $25). If I switched to the new plan, I would no longer be able to do this. I would have to add $25 each and every month to cover the cost of the plan.

The 250 minutes also DO NOT roll over to the next month, which I discovered much to my surprise yesterday when I called 611 to learn more about the plan details. So, if I do not use many of the 250 minutes I would be allowed, I would feel that I had wasted my money compared to having around $4.00 or so left from using limited voice calls.

So, I am asking you Community members, if you were in my situation, what would you do? Would you keep the current $0.10 a minute plan or switch to the new $25 plan? Right now I am thinking of sticking with my current plan and not switching, but I feel that I should have some extra input to consider before I make my final plan decision.

Your replies are appreciated. Thanks!

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

31 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(31)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2011 4:11:01 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Sep 23, 2011 at 4:19:10 AM

WB! not throwing the Plan vs 10c Minute plan string off topic, but i think Milky-Minutes Mascot will be at the 10/2 debut discussion during the first day of  the new $25/month Plan .... said hes got some special surprises and other guests to be there.. hope we get lots of forum participation and  support that day too!

WB! not throwing the Plan vs 10c Minute plan string off topic, but i think Milky-Minutes Mascot will be at the 10/2 debut discussion during the first day of  the new $25/month Plan .... said hes got some special surprises and other guests to be there.. hope we get lots of forum participation and  support that day too!

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

[ Edited ]
31 of 32 (202 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2011 10:02:14 AM
(0)
Scholar

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

Compare your fiscal monthly expenditures with before and after:

• With the Messaging Feature Package, no Google Voice, and no cellular data feature package:  $20-month anywhere messaging = baseline
    • Without the Messaging Feature Package with Google Voice and 10MB-month cellular data feature package: $5-month = $15-month savings with balance rollover
    • Without the Messaging Feature Package with Google Voice and 100MB-month cellular data feature package: $15-month = $5-month savings with balance rollover
Note that messaging data payloads are infinitesimal as they are simply text payloads with up to 140 charaters each.  10MB for $5-month will more than cover your messaging to-from Google Voice servers when outdoors.  But if you want to go gonzo, and have extra cellular data for other uses outdoors, then get the 100MB-month package.

Just a comment, instead of going with the $15/100MB data package, what you could also do is alternate loading of the $25/500MB and $5/10MB packages. For the same $30 for two months, you get 510MB data instead of just 200MB. Since the $25 load is good for 90 days, you could go Month1: $25/500MB, then Months2-4: $5/10MB. That gives you 530MB data for $40 and you still have $10 leftover you can use for voice.

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

Compare your fiscal monthly expenditures with before and after:

• With the Messaging Feature Package, no Google Voice, and no cellular data feature package:  $20-month anywhere messaging = baseline
    • Without the Messaging Feature Package with Google Voice and 10MB-month cellular data feature package: $5-month = $15-month savings with balance rollover
    • Without the Messaging Feature Package with Google Voice and 100MB-month cellular data feature package: $15-month = $5-month savings with balance rollover
Note that messaging data payloads are infinitesimal as they are simply text payloads with up to 140 charaters each.  10MB for $5-month will more than cover your messaging to-from Google Voice servers when outdoors.  But if you want to go gonzo, and have extra cellular data for other uses outdoors, then get the 100MB-month package.

Just a comment, instead of going with the $15/100MB data package, what you could also do is alternate loading of the $25/500MB and $5/10MB packages. For the same $30 for two months, you get 510MB data instead of just 200MB. Since the $25 load is good for 90 days, you could go Month1: $25/500MB, then Months2-4: $5/10MB. That gives you 530MB data for $40 and you still have $10 leftover you can use for voice.

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

32 of 32 (189 Views)