New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

Master

New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

I have had my existing $0.10 a minute rate plan for almost a whole year, now. I enjoy this plan as it is very convenient and fits my calling needs perfectly for a price that I feel is fair.

With the addition of the new $25 per month 250 minutes plan + Unlimited Messaging, I have considered switching from my existing plan to this newer plan. I feel this way because I refill my account monthly with $25 refill cards, so there is absolutely no price difference. Essentially, it seems as though it's a better deal; I'm getting the same unlimited messaging plan I already have and 250 extra minutes per month, which is definitely something I find very attractive and makes it tempting to switch.

Currently, I use around 10 minutes per month, sometimes more, sometimes less. If I could have a 250 minute allowance, I would feel happy to use my phone for calling purposes, considering I feel guilty of using my phone for voice calls, even if the rate is only $0.10 a minute. I would be getting 200 minutes more than I currently do with my existing plan if I were to switch to the new plan.

What makes me want to stay with my current plan is that sometimes I have extra money left over in my account from when I last refilled with $25. If I refill again, I only need to add $15 next time to cover the cost of my unlimited messaging for that month, and I am more than happy to pay less per month for my service ($15 for that month instead of $25). If I switched to the new plan, I would no longer be able to do this. I would have to add $25 each and every month to cover the cost of the plan.

The 250 minutes also DO NOT roll over to the next month, which I discovered much to my surprise yesterday when I called 611 to learn more about the plan details. So, if I do not use many of the 250 minutes I would be allowed, I would feel that I had wasted my money compared to having around $4.00 or so left from using limited voice calls.

So, I am asking you Community members, if you were in my situation, what would you do? Would you keep the current $0.10 a minute plan or switch to the new $25 plan? Right now I am thinking of sticking with my current plan and not switching, but I feel that I should have some extra input to consider before I make my final plan decision.

Your replies are appreciated. Thanks!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 1 of 32 (1,743 Views)
Guru

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

Good for you Wild Banchi, I had a gut feeling you'd stick with your current plan. Although I can see why the new $25 plan gave you pause for thought.

Message 16 of 32 (1,429 Views)
Professor

Hey WB, im glad you broke down the analysis between the two (the new plan) vs 10C/minute. I guess since i dont have the Prepaid plan i couldnt see if the 25 was better than the 10c/min.

Does the 25/month plan still deduct the $2/day from your balance? Or am i way off track with that question?
Message 17 of 32 (1,426 Views)
Master

Razr8 wrote:

Good for you Wild Banchi, I had a gut feeling you'd stick with your current plan. Although I can see why the new $25 plan gave you pause for thought.

Thanks, Razr8. You know me too well... Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 32 (1,423 Views)
Master

RicoLX wrote:
Hey WB, im glad you broke down the analysis between the two (the new plan) vs 10C/minute. I guess since i dont have the Prepaid plan i couldnt see if the 25 was better than the 10c/min.

Does the 25/month plan still deduct the $2/day from your balance? Or am i way off track with that question?
So am I! Smiley Very Happy

The new $25 per month plan is a plan in itself; an individual one. The $2 per day plan is also separate, so $2 would not be deducted from your balance if one had the $25 plan.

Message 19 of 32 (1,422 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

And my response *would have been* Smiley Very Happy - "rarely does at&t make a change for the complete betterment of the customer - so look carefully at your usage and what you would be giving up vs. any perceived improvements of the new plan".  It sounds more like "repackaging" to me, and it may come at the expense of some of the benefits of the older plan.

I'm still on the really old $1/day with unlimited MTM for this very reason. Smiley Happy  With it, only voice usage elicits the $1/day charge.  More is included with the newer $2/day plan; yet any use of the network incurs the daily fee.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 20 of 32 (1,401 Views)
Professor

Now I at least know I am not crazed. I thought there was a $1/day plan once upon a time... Smiley Tongue
Message 21 of 32 (1,390 Views)
Master

Right, there was, but AT&T eliminated it from their GoPhone rate plan selection earlier on this year.

hme83, the $1/day plan is not THAT old. Smiley Tongue

Message 22 of 32 (1,378 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

Wild Banchi wrote:
Right, there was, but AT&T eliminated it from their GoPhone rate plan selection earlier on this year.

hme83, the $1/day plan is not THAT old. Smiley Tongue

lol.  Seems like it has been gone for well over a year to me, but I could be mistaken. 

Actually it looks like it was just about exactly one year ago that the "$1/day w MTM" rate plan was eliminated. Smiley Wink

http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/A-Big-Thanks-To-AT-amp-T-For-the-New-Change-of-the-Simple-Rate/m-p/...

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 23 of 32 (1,361 Views)
Master

I was going to reference that old thread to see when the exact date I switched to the $0.10 a minute plan, but I didn't get around to digging it up. October 2nd is coming up...maybe I'll throw a little "plan party". Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 32 (1,342 Views)
Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:
I was going to reference that old thread to see when the exact date I switched to the $0.10 a minute plan, but I didn't get around to digging it up. October 2nd is coming up...maybe I'll throw a little "plan party". Smiley Wink

And the Wild And Tenacious Banchi will do that too! So hope you guys reserve 10/2! Keep it open for the "WB Shuffle! and Electric Slide!"

Message 25 of 32 (1,336 Views)
Highlighted
Master

October 2nd is a Sunday. That's perfect. Smiley Wink

Message 26 of 32 (1,330 Views)
Professor

Added a calendar reminder to.my android so I will not forget... WB, i wonder how many may sign up for the new plan and post on 10/2?

Looking forward to the new plan-virtual prty, man!
Message 27 of 32 (1,326 Views)
Master

RicoLX wrote:
Added a calendar reminder to.my android so I will not forget... WB, i wonder how many may sign up for the new plan and post on 10/2?

Looking forward to the new plan-virtual prty, man!
I'll host it in the Lounge as it will probably get moved there if I tried to post it here, anyway... After all, that's where all the rest of our party and off-topic discussions are... Smiley Tongue

Message 28 of 32 (1,325 Views)
Professor

You are right! I can help u with the graphics...Smiley Very Happy may come up with some totally new stuff for you. You can pull copies down to your profile folder .
Message 29 of 32 (1,316 Views)
Master

Alright. Sounds good!

Message 30 of 32 (1,314 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.