New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

Master

New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

I have had my existing $0.10 a minute rate plan for almost a whole year, now. I enjoy this plan as it is very convenient and fits my calling needs perfectly for a price that I feel is fair.

With the addition of the new $25 per month 250 minutes plan + Unlimited Messaging, I have considered switching from my existing plan to this newer plan. I feel this way because I refill my account monthly with $25 refill cards, so there is absolutely no price difference. Essentially, it seems as though it's a better deal; I'm getting the same unlimited messaging plan I already have and 250 extra minutes per month, which is definitely something I find very attractive and makes it tempting to switch.

Currently, I use around 10 minutes per month, sometimes more, sometimes less. If I could have a 250 minute allowance, I would feel happy to use my phone for calling purposes, considering I feel guilty of using my phone for voice calls, even if the rate is only $0.10 a minute. I would be getting 200 minutes more than I currently do with my existing plan if I were to switch to the new plan.

What makes me want to stay with my current plan is that sometimes I have extra money left over in my account from when I last refilled with $25. If I refill again, I only need to add $15 next time to cover the cost of my unlimited messaging for that month, and I am more than happy to pay less per month for my service ($15 for that month instead of $25). If I switched to the new plan, I would no longer be able to do this. I would have to add $25 each and every month to cover the cost of the plan.

The 250 minutes also DO NOT roll over to the next month, which I discovered much to my surprise yesterday when I called 611 to learn more about the plan details. So, if I do not use many of the 250 minutes I would be allowed, I would feel that I had wasted my money compared to having around $4.00 or so left from using limited voice calls.

So, I am asking you Community members, if you were in my situation, what would you do? Would you keep the current $0.10 a minute plan or switch to the new $25 plan? Right now I am thinking of sticking with my current plan and not switching, but I feel that I should have some extra input to consider before I make my final plan decision.

Your replies are appreciated. Thanks!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 1 of 32 (1,725 Views)

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

Hey. Wild Banchi.  I say get Google Voice.  You can port your existing number if you have had it so long.  And get:

  1. Free texting, domestic and international, incoming and outgoing
  2. Free unified Voicemail, with text and/or email transcription (dealer's choice).   WAV file available as transcription is not perfect.
  3. Call and text forwarding to one or more physical endpoints (including landline)
  4. Call and text barring at the source using Groups

So your $20-month messaging feature package is unnecessary.  And the 10cent-minute plan will provide pay-as-you-go talk.

 

As there is no talk rollover (250-minutes per-month is use or lose -- no surprise there!), there is little value to the new plan in my opinion.

 

I know there are folks in here that rah! rah! rah! this new offering from AT&T, but they do not know, or do not seem to factor the value of Google Voice.  And they probably have the latest and greatest Android phone.  So it makes no sense to me for you to go with this plan.

 

Just get Google Voice and stay put on your existing plan.

 

 

Message 2 of 32 (1,666 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

Hi there!

 

I'll be glad to offer my 2 cents on this!

 

If you use about 10 minutes as stated in your post, at the cost of $0.10/minute, that averages around $1/month. If you do not make too many calls that averages to about $23 for example, I would say that your current plan is definitely the one that I would stay with! Smiley Wink

 

While the $25 prepaid plan is very good, if you do not use nothing close to 150-240 minutes a month, you would be paying more for your service and for minutes that would not rollover into the next month. Smiley Tongue

 

Hope that helps!

 

~ Evandela ~

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 32 (1,665 Views)
Master

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

You are right, Evandela. If I do end up using more than 10 minutes, it is definitely under 20. Smiley Tongue

I appreciate your input. And I'm glad to see that you followed along and provided your answer effectively, which I thoroughly agree with. Smiley Happy

Anyone else?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 4 of 32 (1,660 Views)
Master

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?


OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

Hey. Wild Banchi.  I say get Google Voice.  You can port your existing number if you have had it so long.  And get:

  1. Free texting, domestic and international, incoming and outgoing
  2. Free unified Voicemail, with text and/or email transcription (dealer's choice).   WAV file available as transcription is not perfect.
  3. Call and text forwarding to one or more physical endpoints (including landline)
  4. Call and text barring at the source using Groups

So your $20-month messaging feature package is unnecessary.  And the 10cent-minute plan will provide pay-as-you-go talk.

 

As there is no talk rollover (250-minutes per-month is use or lose -- no surprise there!), there is little value to the new plan in my opinion.

 

I know there are folks in here that rah! rah! rah! this new offering from AT&T, but they do not know, or do not seem to factor the value of Google Voice.  And they probably have the latest and greatest Android phone.  So it makes no sense to me for you to go with this plan.

 

Just get Google Voice and stay put on your existing plan.

 

 


Whoops, I did not see your reply, OnlytheShadowKnows. Thank you for your input on this subject.

Regarding the Google Voice option, wouldn't I need a data connection to utilize those unique text messaging services? Also, is it an app I can simply download to use from the Android Market, considering that it is in stock there? I always use my smartphone connected to Wi-Fi when I plan on using data services/apps that require a data connection, so that might be inconvenient for me if I am out of a Wi-Fi zone, particularly away from home.

I do not have the want or need for a data plan to use with my smartphone, so I would rely on Wi-Fi as my connection source instead of the 3G data network.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 5 of 32 (1,651 Views)
Professor

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

[ Edited ]

WB, keeping your current plan saves you money. The TOS states that a talk or talk and text plan is required. So you will not be able to port your number. To get 3G data connection, you have to turn on 3G cellular service first. So you must keep your number on AT&T to have data service.

Message 6 of 32 (1,647 Views)

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?


Wild Banchi wrote:

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

Hey. Wild Banchi.  I say get Google Voice.  You can port your existing number if you have had it so long.  And get:

  1. Free texting, domestic and international, incoming and outgoing
  2. Free unified Voicemail, with text and/or email transcription (dealer's choice).   WAV file available as transcription is not perfect.
  3. Call and text forwarding to one or more physical endpoints (including landline)
  4. Call and text barring at the source using Groups

So your $20-month messaging feature package is unnecessary.  And the 10cent-minute plan will provide pay-as-you-go talk.

 

As there is no talk rollover (250-minutes per-month is use or lose -- no surprise there!), there is little value to the new plan in my opinion.

 

I know there are folks in here that rah! rah! rah! this new offering from AT&T, but they do not know, or do not seem to factor the value of Google Voice.  And they probably have the latest and greatest Android phone.  So it makes no sense to me for you to go with this plan.

 

Just get Google Voice and stay put on your existing plan.

 

 


Regarding the Google Voice option:
  1. wouldn't I need a data connection to utilize those unique text messaging services?
  2. Also, is it an app I can simply download to use from the Android Market, considering that it is in stock there?
  3. I always use my smartphone connected to Wi-Fi when I plan on using data services/apps that require a data connection, so that might be inconvenient for me if I am out of a Wi-Fi zone, particularly away from home.
I do not have the want or need for a data plan to use with my smartphone, so I would rely on Wi-Fi as my connection source instead of the 3G data network.

Here are my answers, Wild Banchi:

 

  1. Yes.  Either WiFi or cellular data when WiFi not available.  But see 3 on its fiscal considerations vis a vis your existing use of "unlimited messaging feature package" at $20-month
  2. Android phones come with Google Voice built-in.  There is a Google Voice webclip which uses HTML to the GoogleVoice servers (a webclip is a URL symbolic reference to the web site on your "phone top", which looks an app but there is really no app being installed, only an icon).  For my iPhone I downloaded the Google Voice for the iPhone app from the Apple App Market.  It is free and this one is really an app.  I also have the Google Voice webclip that I referred to before, side-by-side, and can use either the app or the webclip as both are in sync with the GoogleVoice servers.
  3. Compare your fiscal monthly expenditures with before and after:
    • With the Messaging Feature Package, no Google Voice, and no cellular data feature package:  $20-month anywhere messaging = baseline
    • Without the Messaging Feature Package with Google Voice and 10MB-month cellular data feature package: $5-month = $15-month savings with balance rollover
    • Without the Messaging Feature Package with Google Voice and 100MB-month cellular data feature package: $15-month = $5-month savings with balance rollover
Note that messaging data payloads are infinitesimal as they are simply text payloads with up to 140 charaters each.  10MB for $5-month will more than cover your messaging to-from Google Voice servers when outdoors.  But if you want to go gonzo, and have extra cellular data for other uses outdoors, then get the 100MB-month package.
Either way.  Winning! *grin*
Message 7 of 32 (1,641 Views)

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?


ilikewireless wrote:

WB, keeping your current plan saves you money. The TOS states that a talk or talk and text plan is required. So you will not be able to port your number. To get 3G data connection, you have to turn on 3G cellular service first. So you must keep your number on AT&T to have data service.


Oops, ilikewireless, let me explain:

 

The 10cent-message remains as the talk/text plan.  It just happens that with Google Voice the text component (20cent-message is never charged as it is never used).

 

You still have a prepaid phone number.  Read on.

 

When you port to Google Voice, you need a new physical 10-digit number for your prepaid phone.  This is the "physical" number.

 

The original 10-digit number gets ported and its account gets closed. This is now the "virtual" number -- the only number seen on the "outside".  Google Voice provides the virtual to physical and physical to virtual mapping for voice and text.  The text is delivered via the data band (WiFi or cellular)  so messaging over the talk band never happens.

 

Hope that makes it clearer.  For further authoritative information go to http://www.google.com/voice  It is the harbinger of things to come.  Messaging for profit is dead and all carriers know it.

Message 8 of 32 (1,638 Views)
Professor

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?


OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

WB, keeping your current plan saves you money. The TOS states that a talk or talk and text plan is required. So you will not be able to port your number. To get 3G data connection, you have to turn on 3G cellular service first. So you must keep your number on AT&T to have data service.


Oops, ilikewireless, let me explain:

 

The 10cent-message remains as the talk/text plan.  It just happens that with Google Voice the text component (20cent-message is never charged as it is never used).

 

You still have a prepaid phone number.  Read on.

 

When you port to Google Voice, you need a new physical 10-digit number for your prepaid phone.  This is the "physical" number.

 

The original 10-digit number gets ported and its account gets closed. This is now the "virtual" number -- the only number seen on the "outside".  Google Voice provides the virtual to physical and physical to virtual mapping for voice and text.  The text is delivered via the data band (WiFi or cellular)  so messaging over the talk band never happens.

 

Hope that makes it clearer.  For further authoritative information go to http://www.google.com/voice  It is the harbinger of things to come.  Messaging for profit is dead and all carriers know it.


OnlytheShadowKnows, your knowledge and cleverness amazes me, and I learn something new everyday.

 

Thanks for the information and correction/amendment/clarification/. I did not know that I would be given a new physical number by porting an existing number.  Is the new physical number automatically provided when the existing number gets ported to Google Voice?

 

OnlytheShadowKnows, your use of the word "payload" tells me one thing. I think you're employed in IT, or Aerospace or Engineering.

Message 9 of 32 (1,632 Views)
Professor

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

[ Edited ]

OnlytheShadowKnows said:

 

"Note that messaging data payloads are infinitesimal as they are simply text payloads with up to 140 charaters each.  10MB for $5-month will more than cover your messaging to-from Google Voice servers when outdoors.  But if you want to go gonzo, and have extra cellular data for other uses outdoors, then get the 100MB-month package."

 

 

Wild Banchi, you might even be able to squeeze Google Navigation into the 10MB data plan. I drove for 15 minutes yesterday using Google's turn by turn voice navigation, and the data use was only 0.82MB, even with 5 miles of Google Map loaded, plus a photo of the destination driveway.

Message 10 of 32 (1,628 Views)

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

ilikewireless, thank you for the kind words.  Undeserved.

 


ilikewireless wrote:

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

WB, keeping your current plan saves you money. The TOS states that a talk or talk and text plan is required. So you will not be able to port your number. To get 3G data connection, you have to turn on 3G cellular service first. So you must keep your number on AT&T to have data service.


Oops, ilikewireless, let me explain:

 

The 10cent-message remains as the talk/text plan.  It just happens that with Google Voice the text component (20cent-message is never charged as it is never used).

 

You still have a prepaid phone number.  Read on.

 

When you port to Google Voice, you need a new physical 10-digit number for your prepaid phone.  This is the "physical" number.

 

The original 10-digit number gets ported and its account gets closed. This is now the "virtual" number -- the only number seen on the "outside".  Google Voice provides the virtual to physical and physical to virtual mapping for voice and text.  The text is delivered via the data band (WiFi or cellular)  so messaging over the talk band never happens.

 

Hope that makes it clearer.  For further authoritative information go to http://www.google.com/voice  It is the harbinger of things to come.  Messaging for profit is dead and all carriers know it.


OnlytheShadowKnows, your knowledge and cleverness amazes me, and I learn something new everyday.

 

Thanks for the information and correction/amendment/clarification/. I did not know that I would be given a new physical number by porting an existing number.

 

  1. Is the new physical number automatically provided when the existing number gets ported to Google Voice?
  2. OnlytheShadowKnows, your use of the word "payload" tells me one thing. I think you're employed in IT, or Aerospace or Engineering.



  1. Not automatic.  You just get a new AT&T SIM in eBay and activate it under http://att.com/activations as you did for the original 10-digit number.  That 10-digit number (original "account") will be shutdown once the port to Google voice takes place.  And becomes now your "virtual" number, your 10-digit number for life -- carrier independent.  It is akin to having your own private domainname, say, @onlytheshadowknows.com.  The port to Google Voice is a one-time fee of $20.  And it takes 24 hours.
  2. "payload" is a common term I use for the body of the data packet.  "header" is the preamble of such body, and contrains the control information.  So, in summary, text under GoogleVoice is sent as a data packet (header and payload) over the data band (WiFi or cellular) to the Google Voice text servers, and never a "call" is made.  Finally, you are warm regarding my technical background.

Thank you, again, ilikewireless.



Message 11 of 32 (1,481 Views)
Master

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

Wow, thanks for all the info! I honestly think it would be best for me, although tempting, to stick with my existing plan. I've had it for so long and it works so well for me. If I switched to the new plan and did not like it as much, I'm more than sure that I could not switch back.

As for the information regarding Google Voice:
Does that mean I would have to get a completely new phone number than the one I have already had for almost two years, now? I hope that is not the case if I were to go that route... Smiley Surprised

Seeing those text message subtractions and answers, those would be some good figures I would be saving every month. As for the $5 10MB plan, would that probably be enough to cover unlimited use? Gosh, I must send around close to 1,000 or so text messages a month, easily. I would probably use the plan only for my messaging needs/alternative.

Also, if I were to send a message to a friend from Google Voice, would my text messages be converted to a data message on their part instead of a regular SMS text message? I certainly don't want any of my friends to incur any extra charges because of my text message switch.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 12 of 32 (1,470 Views)
Guru

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

Wild Banchi, I think we have had enough discussions for you to know I am impressed with your phone and plan setup. Honestly I think you answered your own question in your initial post when you stated that as result of seldom voice usage you have a cetain amount in your account that rolls over which in the end works in your favor. It seems to me that your current plan works perfectly for your needs and is somewhat more flexible. Were I you I'd stick with the current plan.

Message 13 of 32 (1,460 Views)
Highlighted

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

[ Edited ]

Ok, Wild Banchi, lets get final closure on this thing.  You simply have too many doubts about change.  So here is my final suggestion to you followed by "How does it work?":

 

Final suggestion:

  1. Stay where you are.  Do not add or subtract to your existing message feature package and 10cent-minute plan.
  2. Go and get a new and free Google Voice number just to try and experiment.  It is free, and it will be on your area code.  You can luck out and have, if available, a personalized number with some alpha meaning -- like xxx.xxx.WILD (or whatever matches a personalized four-letter sign)
  3. Test it, on the side, to "get close and personal" with the technology.
  4. If you do not like it, just move on.  The number will be yours forever if you ever want to re-use it.

Google Voice texting is just free texting: a simple explanation of "How does it work?"

  1. On the outgoing side, from you to others:  your text goes to the Google Voice servers over the data band (WiFi or cellular), and there it is gatewayed by the servers as text over the GSM talk band to its final destination, where it is received as text with your Google Voice number (the virtual number) not your instrument number (the physical number) as the originator of the text.
  2. On the incoming side, from others to you:  the reverse happens, but with a twist.  The text sent by others is directed to your "virtual" Google Voice number over the GSM talk band where it is processed as text by the Google Voice servers, gatewayed to your "physical" number via the data band (WiFi or cellular), and finally received by your instrument where you get notified of the received text.  The "twist" is that, on this reverse path, you receive the text with the source's originating phone number not your "virtual" Google Voice number.

Hope that helped clear the decks.  Over and out.  I think we got closure.

Message 14 of 32 (1,445 Views)
Master

Re: New $25 Plan vs. $0.10 a Minute Plan - Thoughts?

I have made my final decision. I am going to stick with my $0.10 rate plan and not switch over to the new plan, despite it being a good overall value.

I will stick with regular text messaging for the rest of the month and further look into Google Voice text messaging and perhaps give it a try. Should I prefer one service over the other, I will stick with that by either continuing with traditional text messaging or trying something new like Google Voice.

Thanks again everyone for your replies.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 15 of 32 (1,431 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.