Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Aug 9, 2011
4:53:52 PM
View profile
Network or SIM Card error

Has anyone gotten this message when setting up a new Android phone? In transfering my GoPhone (prepaid) SIM card to an LG GT540 smartphone I get that message and when I attempt to dial out I get a message saying "Emergency calls only". That would seem to indicate the SIM card somehow got locked, but if I put it back in the old phone it works perfectly, therefore my problem is in setting up the new phone.

Btw, this new phone is NOT from ATT, it is an unlocked quad-band that I bought on the Internet. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Has anyone gotten this message when setting up a new Android phone? In transfering my GoPhone (prepaid) SIM card to an LG GT540 smartphone I get that message and when I attempt to dial out I get a message saying "Emergency calls only". That would seem to indicate the SIM card somehow got locked, but if I put it back in the old phone it works perfectly, therefore my problem is in setting up the new phone.

Btw, this new phone is NOT from ATT, it is an unlocked quad-band that I bought on the Internet. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Network or SIM Card error

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 5:07:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

rodrigt wrote:

Your SIM must have been activated in the original phone that you were using. SIM cards are locked to the original activation device for a period of up to six months before they become "unlocked" and are then able to be transferred from phone to phone. That's what happened in your case - you must have activated your SIM card within the last half-year and are now trying to place it in a new phone. Unfortunately it will not work, as the SIM card is temporarily locked to the first phone.

If I seem to remember this correctly, customer service can unlock the SIM for you so that you can use it in your new LG smartphone. You will need to dial 611 from your original activation phone or you can dial 1-800-331-0500 from a landline phone.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

rodrigt wrote:

Your SIM must have been activated in the original phone that you were using. SIM cards are locked to the original activation device for a period of up to six months before they become "unlocked" and are then able to be transferred from phone to phone. That's what happened in your case - you must have activated your SIM card within the last half-year and are now trying to place it in a new phone. Unfortunately it will not work, as the SIM card is temporarily locked to the first phone.

If I seem to remember this correctly, customer service can unlock the SIM for you so that you can use it in your new LG smartphone. You will need to dial 611 from your original activation phone or you can dial 1-800-331-0500 from a landline phone.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Network or SIM Card error

2 of 6 (4,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 8:15:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

> Your SIM must have been activated in the original phone that you were using. SIM cards are locked to the original activation device for a period of up to six months before they become "unlocked"...

Thank you, you make an excellent point. After I posted my comment I made contact with AT&T and since my SIM card is now 6 years old they suggested I go to one of their outlets to get it replaced with a new card, transfer my $balance, etc. I'll come back to report results.

Meanwhile I sure would appreciate comments from others with similar experiences on Android phones, because this card previously lived in a another LG GT540 and also an older Nokia and still works perfectly well in both.

> Your SIM must have been activated in the original phone that you were using. SIM cards are locked to the original activation device for a period of up to six months before they become "unlocked"...

Thank you, you make an excellent point. After I posted my comment I made contact with AT&T and since my SIM card is now 6 years old they suggested I go to one of their outlets to get it replaced with a new card, transfer my $balance, etc. I'll come back to report results.

Meanwhile I sure would appreciate comments from others with similar experiences on Android phones, because this card previously lived in a another LG GT540 and also an older Nokia and still works perfectly well in both.

3 of 6 (4,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 9:01:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
You're welcome. I'd be curious to know if a new SIM will do the trick.

If you care to read my experiences with SIM switching, I'm currently using my prepaid one in an Android smartphone. It was originally activated to an LG Neon on Christmas of 2009. The SIM was later switched to a Samsung Mythic phone just shy of six months later. 7 1/2 months later, on Valentine's Day of this year, I switched it from my Mythic (touch screen went out) to my Android-powered Captivate and everything worked absolutely fine. It still works great to this very day, and I'm sure it will for the next few years or so.

You're welcome. I'd be curious to know if a new SIM will do the trick.

If you care to read my experiences with SIM switching, I'm currently using my prepaid one in an Android smartphone. It was originally activated to an LG Neon on Christmas of 2009. The SIM was later switched to a Samsung Mythic phone just shy of six months later. 7 1/2 months later, on Valentine's Day of this year, I switched it from my Mythic (touch screen went out) to my Android-powered Captivate and everything worked absolutely fine. It still works great to this very day, and I'm sure it will for the next few years or so.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (4,060 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2011 4:41:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

@ Wild Banchi,

Today I had my SIM Card replaced by AT&T and the phone still didn't work (i.e. dialing out results in a "Emergency calls only" error message). The AT&T guy pointed out something I hadn't noticed before, when ttrning on the phone there is a line at the very top of the screen saying "Phone is SIM Network locked" thus I am returing it to Amazon.com. 

Upor reading more of the reviews of the various offerings on Amazon for the Optimus LG GT540 a small percentage of reviewers have reported "false advertising", phone is NOT unlocked. The first phone I bought of this model worked fine but the second one is what I've described on this post, thus it seems to be a game of hit-or-miss. As it is important to my wife and I to have the same phone model I'm returning the faulty one and ordering a replacement, hopefully not again and again. 

Thanks for your help! Smiley Happy

@ Wild Banchi,

Today I had my SIM Card replaced by AT&T and the phone still didn't work (i.e. dialing out results in a "Emergency calls only" error message). The AT&T guy pointed out something I hadn't noticed before, when ttrning on the phone there is a line at the very top of the screen saying "Phone is SIM Network locked" thus I am returing it to Amazon.com. 

Upor reading more of the reviews of the various offerings on Amazon for the Optimus LG GT540 a small percentage of reviewers have reported "false advertising", phone is NOT unlocked. The first phone I bought of this model worked fine but the second one is what I've described on this post, thus it seems to be a game of hit-or-miss. As it is important to my wife and I to have the same phone model I'm returning the faulty one and ordering a replacement, hopefully not again and again. 

5 of 6 (4,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2011 10:38:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

rodrigt wrote:

@ Wild Banchi,

Well I'll be darned. Gotta be careful with those unlocked phones. Smiley Wink I bet the next one will work fine, as long as you read the fine print! Smiley Very Happy

You're welcome!

rodrigt wrote:

@ Wild Banchi,

Well I'll be darned. Gotta be careful with those unlocked phones. Smiley Wink I bet the next one will work fine, as long as you read the fine print! Smiley Very Happy

You're welcome!

6 of 6 (4,045 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments